The 2011-2012 Mid-American Conference Thread

Kent has a tough road ahead of them, but all three of their league losses are on the road. They may not win the league, but with OU and Akron both coming to Kent the last week of the season they could have a big impact on who does.

I highly doubt losing to one by 10 and the other by 11 is going to have much of a difference :laugh:

Toledo 63
Miami 61

Exciting finish in Oxford as Toledo gets their first MAC road win in nearly 4 years! Mavunga finishes with 14 and 11 for the Redhawks but on 4-13 shooting. Another huge game for the Rockets' 6'4 Pearson who dropped 23 with 10 boards.

I'm just messing with you man :)

Haha its cool. Whoever said something earlier about Northern Illinois being terrible was correct. They are one of the worst college teams I have ever seen. Kent beat them tonight 90-56. NIU had some white dudes with some funky hair and skinny headbands and that was really the only entertaining thing about their team.

Chris Evans finally starting to get back to playing well for Kent. I look for an interesting finish the rest of the way. I think the tournament will be one of the best in recent memory this March. There are probably 4 teams that can win it depending on matchups/whos hot/whos not. I think Buffalo, Akron, Kent, and Ohio are the top four teams in the league but there are a few teams that could make a run at it to. These teams include:

Ball State: Jarrod Jones is a beast and Randy Davis does a great job running the offense
BG: They could be the surprise team this year in the tournament and could be a dangerous matchup for many teams. If they can get hot from outside they can win alot of games with Calhoun inside.
Eastern Mich: Not sure how they keep doing it but their defense has been great so far. If they can keep defending like they are and find a bit of an offensive game they can be dangerous. Defense can go with you anywhere even when the jumper doesn't

Surprise team that could sneak in from the bottom has to be Miami. Mavunga is just an absolute beast for them. If they can find a couple other reliable scorers they have a chance with a good coach in Cole. Thing that will hurt them is that Mavunga has to play nearly 40 mins a game and he would wear down if he had to play all 40 for 4 straight games.

Akron will probably never lose again, win many MAC and NCAA championships, and get invited to multiple BCS conferences.

The Zips are in the driver's seat in the MAC. They have 4 huge games left in the regular season. They host Buffalo and must play at Oral Roberts (BracketBuster), at Ohio, and at KSU.

Last edited:
Is Cooper hurt?

He went down late yesterday and appeared to injure his left wrist... It looked very serious. Iced it the rest of the game. Thankfully he tweeted later he was OK. Stevie Taylor looks like he's going to be a good one, but losing DJ would kill.

I think the East is wide open. Akron having to travel to Ohio and Kent is huge. Ohio's last 4 is rough. @Buffalo vs. Akron @Kent @Miami.

The last two weeks should decide the MAC East.

The Bobkittens hacked up a fur ball tonight. The Zips remain in control of the MAC. Akron could have the East all wrapped up before they play in Sticksville err Athens.

Last edited:
Wow, what a huge fall for Ohio over the last week. From second to fifth. BG vs. Ohio is a huge game, if BG wins it is going to be very tough for Ohio get back over them.

Wow, what a huge fall for Ohio over the last week. From second to fifth. BG vs. Ohio is a huge game, if BG wins it is going to be very tough for Ohio get back over them.

The Bobkittens need some hair ball meds. The MAC East is a 3 way reace between the Zips, Bulls, and Golden Flashes. Akron is in the drivers seat. OU can still be dangerous when the MAC tourney starts, but they might have to win a game before they even make it to Cleveland!

Part of what makes the MAC fun to follow is that fortunes can change in a heartbeat, especially in the East. I agree that Ohio put themsleves in a bad position losing to UT and EMU but by Wednesday they could be right back in position for a 2 seed. Somebody's gotta lose the Kent/Buffalo game and dropping an L on BG would be big for OU.

The big question for Ohio right now is where was Baltic yesterday? I have read that we was banged up and I have read that he was in the doghouse.

Kent State, on the other hand, has to make sure they don't get too excited about going 6-0 against the West. They needed it, they won 3 on the road, but still those teams would be bottom feeders in the East.

Realistically it seems that Akron is going to get one of the top 2 seeds. Which means four teams are fighting for that other one. This may not be fair to the West but those teams IMO are Buffalo, Kent, Ohio and BG. Which of those teams will be left out of the top 4 may be the more important question. Because with the excpetion of Akron I don't see enough depth on any roster to win 2 games and then have enough left to win Thursday, let alone Friday.

Yes, there is a new format for this year.

The top two teams get byes to the semi's
The 3-4 seeds get byes to the quarters
Everyone else has to play the first round at campus sites, and play each other in the second round at the Q.

All this is irregardless of division.

So glad it's simply going by conference record. MAC East clearly greater than MAC West this year. 5th place team in the East > MAC West winner. I agree with fallsdog how I can't see anyone from the campus sites making a run. Excited to see how the MAC East games go to determine those byes and see who gets left as the #5 team (who would play Northern Illinois, so not too much of a challenge).

The MAC really hit it dead on with the new tourny setup. Very excited to see this last round of MAC East games... Should be pretty intense.

Kent Stae has all of their remaining big games at home. Akron has to play @ Kent, @ Ohio and has their BracketBuster game @ Oral Roberts.

Ohio and BG got a big lift from CMU beating EMU. That keeps EMU further away from a bye, and tonight's winner between the Bobcats and the Falcons will be in a good spot to get a top-4 seed.