Crosstown Shootout

Who wins

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is hysterical, really a headbutt??? Holloway throwing a punch last year is more funny. Did you actually see what happened or did your UC friends tell you. If that was a headbutt, then the sky is purple. Xavier had their role in this like everyone else, but this was far being Xavier fault for starting it.

I like how you don't mention the classy moment of Larry Davis flicking the Xavier bench off last year every time he made a shot, or Lance Stephenson getting into with Chris Mack every time he made a basket. UC didn't win with class last year, they were jawing and staring down Mack and bench every opportunity they had. Doesn't make it right for Xavier to return the favor at all. Just quit believing that Xavier is the one who started the bench taunting.

:laugh: :laugh: So players are not allowed to look in a certain direction while running back down the floor? That is a good one. Once the game last year was decided the starters for UC were on the bench celebrating where they belong. You can't say they weren't. Trash talk happens all the time. There is trash talking and there is rubbing it in. Everyone who has played a sport knows that but also understands there is a line drawn between the two. Once the game has been decided the trash stops. Doens't serve a purpose anymore except to get under people's skin.

Lance Stephenson was at UC one year and that wasn't last year.

Yes that was a headbutt and yes Holloway threw a punch at Thomas last year. Yes Frease left the court after initial warm-ups throwing imaginary punches and came back on it in a boxing pose looking like a boxer entering the ring. Yes I saw it because I was in the stands. Were you? I guess the gansta just got hot under the collar because the city wasn't his just yet. Or maybe it had to do with his play.

Yes it is Xavier's fault for starting it. If Holloway first of all is not in the game up 23 with 9 seconds to play he isn't walking down the court woofing about body bags, zipping em up, telling the coaches that this is his city and woofing at the freshman on the bench. Nobody but your gangsta buddy started it. I noticed in the Sunday statement he made he said that Wells started it by pushing the UC player while protecting his teammate. Way to shove your freshman teammate under the bus gangsta.

I love the spin on ganster and thug. Young people understand those are not negative terms. :laugh: I am around plenty of younger people. Not one has said they view either word as anything but negative. Maybe they are just mistaken becasue they are not from the hood!

Last edited:
This is hysterical, really a headbutt??? Holloway throwing a punch last year is more funny. Did you actually see what happened or did your UC friends tell you. If that was a headbutt, then the sky is purple. Xavier had their role in this like everyone else, but this was far being Xavier fault for starting it.

I like how you don't mention the classy moment of Larry Davis flicking the Xavier bench off last year every time he made a shot, or Lance Stephenson getting into with Chris Mack every time he made a basket. UC didn't win with class last year, they were jawing and staring down Mack and bench every opportunity they had. Doesn't make it right for Xavier to return the favor at all. Just quit believing that Xavier is the one who started the bench taunting.

What exactly are huge XU homers like you holding XU accountable for anyway? Just curious...I just need a laugh.

Davis flicked off the bench every time he made a shot last year? :laugh:

Frease headbutted Gates their freshman year, and Holloway threw a punch last year (he got t'd up for it). there isn't much to dispute.

:I love the spin on ganster and thug. Young people understand those are not negative terms. :laugh: I am around plenty of younger people. Not one has said they view either word as anything but negative. Maybe they are just mistaken becasue they are not from the hood!

I highly doubt any of the young people you have asked came from nearly the same background or surroundings that Holloway or Lyons grew up in. I know even though I view gangster negatively, I bet you ask a young person in OTR and they would give you a different opinion or definition of the word. You also must not know that there is a very popular Rap song titled "Zip Em Up" that I have heard in many different arenas and sporting events. These terms they used are a part of their culture, and although they were not nearly the right things to say Saturday, I understand these are common phrases in their culture.

I highly doubt any of the young people you have asked came from nearly the same background or surroundings that Holloway or Lyons grew up in. I know even though I view gangster negatively, I bet you ask a young person in OTR and they would give you a different opinion or definition of the word. You also must not know that there is a very popular Rap song titled "Zip Em Up" that I have heard in many different arenas and sporting events. These terms they used are a part of their culture, and although they were not nearly the right things to say Saturday, I understand these are common phrases in their culture.

Schenectady and Hempstead, NY are definitely gangsta friendly mean streets for sure.

Wells was going to travel with the team to Hawaii until the A-10 stepped in and pointed out that he can't because he is suspended. Suspended players are not allowed to travel with the team. Very convenient how the 2 game suspension for Lyons allows him to become eligible during the Hawaii trip thus allowing him to travel. Wouldnt' want gansta #2 to miss a trip like that in his senior year. Gansta # 1 definitely would not be happy with that. Lyons throwing punches all over the corner of the court during the fight. 2 game suspension laughable. Don't even have to take into consideration what was said after the game.

Mack's explanation for why the starters were on the floor at the end of the game is weak. Teams take their starters out ALL THE TIME to allow them to get an ovation from the crowd and celebrate a big victory once it is in hand. You see it all the time. To say he didn't want them celebrating in front of UC is rediculous. He had to hear all the woofing going on. It was better to let them do that than do what is normally done by all other schools. Also to say he wanted to finish strong!!!! :laugh: :laugh: He was winning by 23 with a less than a minute to play. Mack and his attitude was a big part of what happened at the end of that game.

I think the only thing we agree on is Tu Holloway's connection to what happened and how he should be held accountable.

Lyons is only a JR. Sorry you have to watch him go off on UC for one more year.:stirthepot:

That young person in OTR is also not representing Xavier University, the NCAA or receiving a free college education. Dude the culture that Lyons and Holloway are in is Xavier University not the hood. If they want to act like they did in the hood they need to wait until they go back home not while they are representing Xavier University.

Gang signs and colors are also part of that culture. Is it OK to use or display those while representing Xavier University? Zip em' up in a body bag - tweet it MF.

I think he is still upset UC got destroyed- this is his way of getting it off his chest.

Nope. After watching both teams all year expecially UCs' inability to score the ball and lack of depth I expected that Xavier would win going away.

That young person in OTR is also not representing Xavier University, the NCAA or receiving a free college education. Dude the culture that Lyons and Holloway are in is Xavier University not the hood. If they want to act like they did in the hood they need to wait until they go back home not while they are representing Xavier University.

Gang signs and colors are also part of that culture. Is it OK to use or display those while representing Xavier University? Zip em' up in a body bag - tweet it MF.

Lol what a joke. Does anyone go nuts when Lap goes "Bang, Bang, Bang, nails in the coffin" What about when someone says "Dagger!", Which refers to putting a dagger in someone's heart and killing them. There are tons of sports cliches that announcers use that are just the same as Zip Em'Up and reference violence or killing someone.

Nope. After watching both teams all year expecially UCs' inability to score the ball and lack of depth I expected that Xavier would win going away.

Oh, so you're just upset they were being too mean while blowing UC out. Gotchya, next time Xavier players will try not to hurt UC's feelings. :laugh:

Oh, so you're just upset they were being too mean while blowing UC out. Gotchya, next time Xavier players will try not to hurt UC's feelings. :laugh:

Nope. I am just sorry that UC disrespected the gansta so much to make him feel the need to do what he did. :D By what OHH posted it looks like UC hurt Xavier's feelings last year by looking at the coach and pointing a finger at the bench that they felt the need to give some payback. So maybe all these hurt feelings are even now. :clap:

Just remember, it's all Xavier's fault.

Nobody said that. UC players did not react well to the provocations that the Xavier leadership players did on the court with 9 seconds to play. That definitely is on UC. However, Xavier is very capable in igniting what happened at the end of the game. How both institutions have reacted to it and responded with punishments and comments is different though.

Saw on CNN this morning that the prosecutor is looking into criminal charges.

Anyone think that now that the prosecuter is involved that he will press charges??

Nobody said that. UC players did not react well to the provocations that the Xavier leadership players did on the court with 9 seconds to play. That definitely is on UC. However, Xavier is very capable in igniting what happened at the end of the game. How both institutions have reacted to it and responded with punishments and comments is different though.

I find it funny that you view how the two schools have responded as differently. I think you forget that Xavier did their press conference on Sunday. They did not wait around for Monday afternoon to get the last say in the matter. Sure Gates cried but he also blamed the media for focusing on his actions, not necessarily a great apology.

Please enlighten us on how UC handled things afterwards vs. what XU did

I find it funny that you view how the two schools have responded as differently. I think you forget that Xavier did their press conference on Sunday. They did not wait around for Monday afternoon to get the last say in the matter. Sure Gates cried but he also blamed the media for focusing on his actions, not necessarily a great apology.

He probably means the Mick Cronin tough boy talk which he never backed up with the suspensions. Does anyone actually believe he physicall ripped off Yancey Gates jersey? Mick would be sporting the same black eye Frease has.

Saw on CNN this morning that the prosecutor is looking into criminal charges.

Anyone think that now that the prosecuter is involved that he will press charges??

Would you charge Gates for landing a punch, Wells for assaulting Guyn, Lyons for trying to hit anyone close to him but missing, Moidj (sp?) for kicking Frease, Radford for running away from Guyn, Guyn for going after Radford, the UC strength and conditioning coach fro throwing guys away from the other team, Suh for stomping on the lineman, Cueto for kicking the Cardinal with his Spikes, any pitcher for intentionally throwing a pitch at a batter, any basketball player who commits an intentional hard foul while injuring a player, etc. etc. etc.

I find the whole, "I made them take their jersey's off", pretty funny. The game was over, thats what players do, they take their sweaty jersey off. Everyone acts like that was such an awesome coaching move, while the players were probably in the process of taking them off when he said it.

UC took their time in order to talk to many different people and look for precedence in thier punishment. Nothing wrong with that. UC viewed any "fighting" actions as warrenting the same suspension (6 games). If you threw a punch you were viewed as engaging in fighting. The suspensions for Lyons and Holloway are too light. The suspension for Lyons keeps him on the trip to Hawaii ( even though he was throwing punches in the corner of th court.) Clearly Xavier doesn't view what they did in a bad light. If they don't allow those two to talk after the game they probably don't suspend them at all. They were just embarrased by how they came off in that interview and needed to change that national image. Chris Mack has not come off as sounding upset about what happened. He said he was disappointed, he also added that his was the better team ( no argument there but after what happened who cares), he also added that it was a shame the seniors didn't get to celebrate with the students ( it was their fault), lame excuses for not having the starters out of the game, he also said the game was the cleanest Crosstown shootout in years ( did he really miss the tension building up that everyone else was commenting on?) ....... must I go on?

I view these public apologies sometimes with a grain of salt. However, I do think Gates was sincere in thinking he might not play basketball again for UC and in getting labled a thug and/or gangster. I guess that young person doens't see that as a poistive statement. We will see with his play once he returns if that is a true statement or not.

He probably means the Mick Cronin tough boy talk which he never backed up with the suspensions. Does anyone actually believe he physicall ripped off Yancey Gates jersey? Mick would be sporting the same black eye Frease has.

Maybe he wants to be like Penn State's Jerry Sandusky!?!?! :shrug: You know, a hands on kinda guy!!

UC took their time in order to talk to many different people and look for precedence in thier punishment. Nothing wrong with that. UC viewed any "fighting" actions as warrenting the same suspension (6 games). If you threw a punch you were viewed as engaging in fighting. The suspensions for Lyons and Holloway are too light. The suspension for Lyons keeps him on the trip to Hawaii ( even though he was throwing punches in the corner of th court.) Clearly Xavier doesn't view what they did in a bad light. If they don't allow those two to talk after the game they probably don't suspend them at all. They were just embarrased by how they came off in that interview and needed to change that national image. Chris Mack has not come off as sounding upset about what happened. He said he was disappointed, he also added that his was the better team ( no argument there but after what happened who cares), he also added that it was a shame the seniors didn't get to celebrate with the students ( it was their fault), lame excuses for not having the starters out of the game, he also said the game was the cleanest Crosstown shootout in years ( did he really miss the tension building up that everyone else was commenting on?) ....... must I go on?

I view these public apologies sometimes with a grain of salt. However, I do think Gates was sincere in thinking he might not play basketball again for UC and in getting labled a thug and/or gangster. I guess that young person doens't see that as a poistive statement. We will see with his play once he returns if that is a true statement or not.

You just won't believe that UC had been doing the same thing for years. Both schools are equally to blame for the trash talking. It's embarrassing for both Universities. UC didn't handle anything well, and now they look like hypocrites all over the national and local media.

I find the whole, "I made them take their jersey's off", pretty funny. The game was over, thats what players do, they take their sweaty jersey off. Everyone acts like that was such an awesome coaching move, while the players were probably in the process of taking them off when he said it.

Taking your jersey off is a figure of speech in sports to being a part of the team. Just like dressing in the team locker room is being part of the team which is why some coaches when needing it take that priviledge away from a team wearing the jersey is the same priviledge of being on the team. I also don't see Cronin ripping anything away from anybody but the message is pretty clear to see.

Taking your jersey off is a figure of speech in sports to being a part of the team. Just like dressing in the team locker room is being part of the team which is why some coaches when needing it take that priviledge away from a team wearing the jersey is the same priviledge of being on the team. I also don't see Cronin ripping anything away from anybody but the message is pretty clear to see.

Let's be clear, Cronin stated that he physically took the jerseys off some himself. Cronin held a post game pep rally, that's all he did. It was all talk and you fell for the hypocrisy.

You just won't believe that UC had been doing the same thing for years. Both schools are equally to blame for the trash talking. It's embarrassing for both Universities. UC didn't handle anything well, and now they look like hypocrites all over the national and local media.

Actually I know that UC trash talks. I have heard it. As I said there is a time for trash talking and a time for shutting up. When the game is decided it is time to shut up. Time to take the starters out, let the crowd acknowledge them and celebrate on your own bench.

Interesting that you try to take the high road and say both schools are equally to blame and are embarrased but then say UC didn't handle anything well and are hypocrites over the national and local media. :laugh: You are making my point. Xavier doens't feel they did anything wrong ( other than their freshman pushing a guy) and are just in spin control over how bad they looked over the interview that Holloway and Lyons gave after the game. That I believe is the definition of hypocritical.

Sure... Lol it was also clear to me that his Dad was almost arrested for fighting a Xavier fan in the stands. No one talks about that though. Did he ask his Dad to remove his UC gear too?