Your School's Most Memorable Game Winning Shot in Tournament Play

trojandave

What is your school's most memorable game winning shot in tournament play?

In 2011, with just 11 seconds remaining, Chesapeake's Eric Kennedy made 2 FT's to give the Panthers a 68-67 lead on my Portsmouth Trojans. After a timeout, the Trojans senior guard Wayne Evans took the inbounds pass and drove the length of the court, scoring on a teardrop floater in the middle of the lane with 4 seconds to play, giving PHS a 69-68 lead.

Chesapeake's half court shot at the buzzer missed its mark, and Evans' heroics gave Portsmouth the D3 regional championship and the first trip to the Final 4 for the Trojans since 1990.

The shot can be seen on YouTube......type in Chesapeake-Portsmouth....Shot Heard Round The State.

There have been other memorable shots in Trojan history, but the shot by Evans stands out because it was the difference between going home or going to the Final 4.

Last edited:

Chillicothe Cavalier fans will always remember the 2008 D2 state championship game winning shot by 6-7 center Ray Chambers at the buzzer. With Toledo Libbey leading 69-68 with just 7 seconds remaining, Chillicothe's PG Anthony Hitchens took the inbounds pass and dribbled to the opposing foul line, made a perfect bounce pass past William Buford (Ohio State) to Chambers, who banked in a layup as the horn sounded. That shot gave the Cavaliers a 70-69 win and the D2 state title. That shot is frozen in time by photo in the Chillicothe HS trophy case.

Last season Jerry Higgins from VASJ goes coast to coast in 6.5 seconds to stun favorite Beachwood in the D3 District Final at Garfield Heights.

2011 Regional Semi-Final Justin Rota makes incredible drive to basket to get game winning shot with 1.5 seconds left for McDonald to beat undefeated Richmond Heights. Was first regional win for McDonald. Hoping for 2nd and 3rd this year.

2012 Alliance District Final...

Warren G. Harding 71, Green 69 OT

RaShid Gaston hits the game winning shot as time expired.

For me with Strongsville it was a pass from Skully to Hutter for a winning layup shot in OT, district final against St. Eds at Midview HS about 15 years, or so, ago.

In 2006 district final, Mentor's Joey Meyer hit a buzzer beating three-pointer to beat Glenville. Mentor was down by two before that shot.

Hilands 5/8th of the court shot to beat Malvern in 2007 district final. I failed to mention I was rooting for the losing team, but it is by far the most memorable

Last edited:
For me, 2005 District Final, Triway's Linc Rottman hit a crossover jump-shot from the elbow to beat state-ranked Orrville, 36-35. Triway went on to beat 2 state-ranked teams in the regionals and won the state semis before falling to undefeated Upper Sandusky in the state championship.

Last edited:
In the 2007 Canton Regional Final Lutheran West was leading VASJ practically the whole game when Ashen Ward hit a go ahead jumper to give the Vikes a win with under .10 to go in the game and stopping West to clinch a 2nd straight trip to Columbus after losing David Lighty (Ohio State) and several key players from the 06 runner up team to graduation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hilands 5/8th of the court shot to beat Malvern in 2007 district final. I failed to mention I was rooting for the losing team, but it is by far the most memorable

No, in 2012 Seger Bonifant hit a game winning 3 at the Buzzer with Hiland down 2, to beat Richmond Hts in the D4 Canton Regional Finals. That was the most memorable in Hiland's history.

No, in 2012 Seger Bonifant hit a game winning 3 at the Buzzer with Hiland down 2, to beat Richmond Hts in the D4 Canton Regional Finals. That was the most memorable in Hiland's history.

One of the craziest games I've seen. That shot was amazing! Packed house at the Fieldhouse doesn't hurt, either!

2012 Lake Catholic vs John Hay district final at Lakeside. Joey Vuyancih with a 3 pointer at the buzzer to send Lake Catholic to the Canton regional where they upset Akron St. Vincent/St. Mary on their way to the DII State final four. Vuhancih is Lake's all time top scorer with 1,370 points in his career.

I saw both of those... Gause's shot was more improbable, but Bonifant's was later on in tournament play so I guess you can give it some weight. Between the two I'd go with Gause.

It's hard to justify the game-winning shot - so to speak - but I'd still have to give it to Jr Raber's 3 game winning foul shots with .5 on the clock against Lima CC in the State semi's to cap off a 7 point come back with under 40 seconds to go.

Absolutely cannot go wrong with any of the Hiland aforementioned shots. Personally, I had the 2nd best view of Gause's shot as I was directly in line (behind him on the bench) when he let it go. I said "oh @$#%! please be long!!" :D

I'm going to go with D4 SW region dayton sectional final between Bethel and Southeastern. It's not just the one final shot, but the entire final 1:38 that was impressive.

Bethel was the 1 seed and found themselves trailing essentially the entire game to a .500 team. With 1:38 to go they found themselves in a 62- 52 deficit. I was getting ready to go to beat the traffic but decided to wait one more possession.

They came down and scored, then stole the inbounds pass and scored again. The quick scores rattled Southeastern guards and they coughed the ball up again, Bethel scored again.

With the score 62 - 61 and about 10 seconds left in the game Matt Plunkett drove in from the left side for a heavily contested layup. The big body of Southeastern's Brian Cooper blocked his path. I still do not know how he went below the basket and stayed inbounds while crossing under and doing a beautiful reverse layup with about five seconds remaining. Another forced turnover mid court ended the game. Bethel went on to regional final lossing to St Henery.

I'm going to go with D4 SW region dayton sectional final between Bethel and Southeastern. It's not just the one final shot, but the entire final 1:38 that was impressive.

Bethel was the 1 seed and found themselves trailing essentially the entire game to a .500 team. With 1:38 to go they found themselves in a 62- 52 deficit. I was getting ready to go to beat the traffic but decided to wait one more possession.

They came down and scored, then stole the inbounds pass and scored again. The quick scores rattled Southeastern guards and they coughed the ball up again, Bethel scored again.

With the score 62 - 61 and about 10 seconds left in the game Matt Plunkett drove in from the left side for a heavily contested layup. The big body of Southeastern's Brian Cooper blocked his path. I still do not know how he went below the basket and stayed inbounds while crossing under and doing a beautiful reverse layup with about five seconds remaining. Another forced turnover mid court ended the game. Bethel went on to regional final lossing to St Henery.

Bethel is D3...

I saw both of those... Gause's shot was more improbable, but Bonifant's was later on in tournament play so I guess you can give it some weight. Between the two I'd go with Gause.

It's hard to justify the game-winning shot - so to speak - but I'd still have to give it to Jr Raber's 3 game winning foul shots with .5 on the clock against Lima CC in the State semi's to cap off a 7 point come back with under 40 seconds to go.

Man, Raber and co. just absolutely destroyed Trimble in the regional semi-finals that year. That was a long drive back down 33 after that game.

In 1992 State Semi match up against Canton Mckinley Lima Senior's Greg Simpson threw in a 35-foot shot at the buzzer, 3-point shot to send the game into a second overtime and hit the winning free throw with 4.7 seconds left. Simpson, Ohio's two-time Mr. Basketball, scored 34 points that night.

For me, 2005 District Final, Triway's Linc Rottman hit a crossover jump-shot from the elbow to beat state-ranked Orrville, 36-35. Triway went on to beat 2 state-ranked teams in the regionals and won the state semis before falling to undefeated Upper Sandusky in the state championship.

You're killin' me PIT. I was at that game and there wasn't enough beverages at Tim's Tavern afterwards to erase the memory :)

1998 DII State Semi-Final. Down by 1 with just seconds remaining, Dover's Marc Von Kaenel fired a full court pass to Ben Swartzwelder who hit a turnaround jumper at the buzzer to defeat Akron Hoban 46-45. Very Laettner-esque.

2011 Regional Semi-Final Justin Rota makes incredible drive to basket to get game winning shot with 1.5 seconds left for McDonald to beat undefeated Richmond Heights. Was first regional win for McDonald. Hoping for 2nd and 3rd this year.

Do you know if there is video of this shot anywhere online?

Not a good memory, but most famous for my school would be Skyvue losing the 1985 Class A state final to Jackson Center on a running 15 footer at the buzzer by some kid (Teeter?) who just had come in the game (JC's best player had just fouled out) and had scored 17 points all season! Very frustrating because we were up 15 at half I believe.

The year before we also lost a heart breaker in the state semi-finals to Columbus Wherle by 1 point.