Your schools greatest team...

Triway, 2014, 11-1

This team was so fun to watch! A statistical monster with a nationally-ranked passing attack. Lots of weapons and a vastly underrated defense. Lost to Kenton 13-6 in the second round of the playoffs. There was no limit to how far this team could have gone had they won that game.

I find it quite ironic how two of the best offenses not only in Ohio but in the NATION fought it out in a 13-6 game :LOL:

For Wapakoneta I have a few teams in mind

2006 - Finished the regular season 9-1, with a loss to a better than their record 7-3 Shawnee team. Beat Olentangy Liberty in the first round, then lost to state champ Brandon Saine led Piqua Indians next round.

2011 - Led by the best running back in Wapak history, 1st team All-Ohio Connor Pickens. Finished the regular season 9-1, only loss to 14-1 state runner up Kenton. Beat 10-4 Elida and 8-3 OG in regular season. Then lost to 15-0 Trotwood-Madison in the second round, holding them to the lowest point total they’ve scored all season.

2014 - Finished the regular season 10-0, with wins over 8-3 Bellefontaine, 11-3 Kenton and 8-2 OG who was in a very tough region otherwise would have made the playoffs. Lost to Trotwood Madison in 4OT. Trotwood then lost to TCC in the next round 17-14, then TCC beat undefeated Athens 56-52 in the state title game. Very competitive year in DIII

2018 - This team is on here solely for one win, but it also beat 7-3 Bellefontiane, 9-3 Van Wert, and 12-2 St Mary’s. The win I’m talking about is over Trotwood. This was the first time Wapak beat Trotwood and is the only time Trotwood lost to a DIII public school since 2009

I think the 2017 team has a decent argument too as they have a great win against a higher division opponent that the other teams don’t have

The 2007 team beat the D4 champs by three touchdowns. They beat Ursuline in the D5 finals, and faced some really tough teams on the way to the finals. West Jeff and Patrick Henry were very good that year. That's why I put them number 1 all time for MSML. Most physical MSML team ever along with the great quality wins. 2014 Was loaded, but being in D7 just didn't have the opportunity to get tested like 2007 team. 2017 turned out to be really good also as you mentioned. Better than I thought they would be at the start of their season. Heck, they put a running clock on Kirtland. Who does that?

Last edited:
2005 or 2019 Greenon Knights. both teams finished as the #9 seed in the region. 2019 was especially more heartbreaking, as they thought they were going to get in at 8-2 for sure and found out they didn’t. 2005 team was a power running team and 2019 had a very good spread passing attack.

Cannot believe Colerain fans took so long to weigh in.

It is a toss up, for me, as to which team is best ever from Ohio and I always come back to a coin flip between 1997 McKinley and 2004 Colerain.

BTW, that Final 4 game between Iggy and McK was wild. A tipped pass for a TD. Dave Ragone was a dude. Iggy was loaded.

That McKinley team beat Tol. St. Francis in the Regional Final 25-22. That was Toledo SF's best team ever (better than each state title team IMO).

I find it quite ironic how two of the best offenses not only in Ohio but in the NATION fought it out in a 13-6 game :LOL:
bad weather?? and you’re right pretty ironic either way
It was bitter cold! At one point, I think there were 4 interceptions in a matter of 8 plays (or something crazy like that). Maybe 5-6 interceptions in the game.

That year, both teams had great defenses, too.

Triway, 2014, 11-1

This team was so fun to watch! A statistical monster with a nationally-ranked passing attack. Lots of weapons and a vastly underrated defense. Lost to Kenton 13-6 in the second round of the playoffs. There was no limit to how far this team could have gone had they won that game.

Wasn't that the team that had the seniors who had to play lot as freshman and went 0-10?

Irish Buffalo...
'04 Colerain is without question Colerain's greatest...and is probably Ohio's GOAT as well. The only 2 teams that I would place in their league are Moeller '76 and Massillon '51. Then, & only then do teams like '97 McKinley begin to enter the conversation for that honor. And I'm not even a Colerain guy. But, once & for all...'97 was McKinley's best team...

2013 Loveland without question, 15-0 state champs. From there it'd be a toss up between the '72 undefeated 10-0 team that didn't make the playoffs or the '00 team that went 7-3 in the regular season and won the school its first playoff game.

Irish Buffalo...
'04 Colerain is without question Colerain's greatest...and is probably Ohio's GOAT as well. The only 2 teams that I would place in their league are Moeller '76 and Massillon '51. Then, & only then do teams like '97 McKinley begin to enter the conversation for that honor. And I'm not even a Colerain guy. But, once & for all...'97 was McKinley's best team...

The ‘51 Tiger team probably isn’t even in their top 10. I think you have your years mixed up. The ‘40 Tigers were their greatest team. Outscored opponents 477-6. Paul Brown wondered if they were better than his ‘42 OSU national champ team. Their opponents record was 70-25. They are in contention for greatest Ohio team ever.

Last edited:
Irish Buffalo...
I'm partial. I think I saw the 97' & 98' McKinley team play 6 times in person and I'm a Toledo guy. Those two years had some really talented kids but they also had great character. Mike Doss is not the most talented kid I ever saw play HS but he was one of the toughest. It is always more special IMO when you see great public school teams because most of the team knew each other from a young age and simply have a collective champions "it." (not trying to make this a private vs. public debate either).

2014 Athens. That team caused the running clock rule. Wish they could have won state but Joe Burrow becoming the Heisman and national champ was better

QB Joe Burrow LSU Heisman and National Champ
RB Trae Williams Northwestern Captain
WR Ryan Luehram Ohio U
WR Zacciah Saltzman Georgetown
TE Adam Luehram Ohio U
OL Brody Rogers Ohio U

Last edited:
Ringer 2,
My bad on the year of Massillon's best team. I meant to name the one that Paul Brown himself said might have beaten Ohio State. I thought it was a 50's team, but if you say 1940, that's good enough for me...If Brown said that about any team he coached, you can believe it.

2011: 2-8
2012: 7-3
2013: 9-3 (lost to Kenton 46-6 in round 2 at Arlin Field... wake-up call to the "true" spread offense)
2014: 11-1 (lost to Kenton 13-6)

I remember telling people when they were 2-8 to watch out for them in a few years.

2014 Athens. That team caused the running clock rule. Wish they could have won state but Joe Burrow becoming the Heisman and national champ was better

QB Joe Burrow LSU Heisman and National Champ
RB Trae Williams Northwestern Captain
WR Ryan Luehram Ohio U
WR Zacciah Saltzman Georgetown
TE Adam Luehram Ohio U
OL Brody Rogers Ohio U
You make an interesting assertion that i have wondered often times over the years.......

Do people take more pride in having a state championship team, or having a player hit it big? Doesnt have to be as big as Joe BUrrow, winning a NT and the Heisman, but still making it big time.

What say you?

This may sound like a cliche, but I believe it 100%. I root for the name on the front of the uniforms. I get it, what Burrow did and the attention he brought for the food banks etc is great, but if I had teh choice of if a kid from my little broken down, hillbilly village would hit it big and win a title/super bowl but no HS championships, or the school winning a title I would go with the State Title.

I know, the Burrow thing is more rare, once in a lifetime, but I would rather my team win a title than have a kid hit it big time. Team Titles are more of a testament to the success of a program, in my opinion, than having a super stud come through and making it big time.

You make an interesting assertion that i have wondered often times over the years.......

Do people take more pride in having a state championship team, or having a player hit it big? Doesnt have to be as big as Joe BUrrow, winning a NT and the Heisman, but still making it big time.

What say you?

This may sound like a cliche, but I believe it 100%. I root for the name on the front of the uniforms. I get it, what Burrow did and the attention he brought for the food banks etc is great, but if I had teh choice of if a kid from my little broken down, hillbilly village would hit it big and win a title/super bowl but no HS championships, or the school winning a title I would go with the State Title.

I know, the Burrow thing is more rare, once in a lifetime, but I would rather my team win a title than have a kid hit it big time. Team Titles are more of a testament to the success of a program, in my opinion, than having a super stud come through and making it big time.
There are 35 football state titles claimed by eight schools competing in one particular western Ohio athletic conference. By contrast, there is one state title won (1981) by a team competing in the league Athens plays in. Great that you place more personal emphasis on a state title, of which your school and fellow Mercer County communities have won aplenty. But a singular state title amidst a sea of success, though, is not comparable to the Burrow legacy and its symbolism to not just an entire region but millions of Americans linked by the same socio-economic identity that Burrow's school represents.

There are 35 football state titles claimed by eight schools competing in one particular western Ohio athletic conference. By contrast, there is one state title won (1981) by a team competing in the league Athens plays in. Great that you place more personal emphasis on a state title, of which your school and fellow Mercer County communities have won aplenty. But a singular state title amidst a sea of success, though, is not comparable to the Burrow legacy and its symbolism to not just an entire region but millions of Americans linked by the same socio-economic identity that Burrow's school represents.
True.
I am not just talking about the Burrow situation though as that is an outlier and extremely unique. Question I am posing is would you rather have your team win a title, or a player go on to D1 and make it to the NFL.

Maybe if any St Henry fans are on here, havent seen many, on what they have more pride in: Their state titles or the likes of Lachey, Hoying, Hartings?

I think they would choose the former. When you go around the state and you mention St Henry what do people remember?

Athens is unique with a Burrow, but that is as rare as it can get almost.

I’d hope you would rather have a Heisman winner over a state title. Akron SVSM has a long history of sports. They are known mostly as Lebron James high school

Again.
Extremely rare.
Yeah, his teammate Trae Williams was a 4 year starter in the Big Ten and will likely get a shot in the NFL. Ibi Watson also from Athens went to Michigan basketball and transferred to Dayton. He’s Dayton’s second best player. I’d take that success over any state titles

Yeah, his teammate Trae Williams was a 4 year starter in the Big Ten and will likely get a shot in the NFL. Ibi Watson also from Athens went to Michigan basketball and transferred to Dayton. He’s Dayton’s second best player. I’d take that success over any state titles
Who?
Never heard of those folks, and in a decade no one will know who they are.

...but that state title will resonate for generations to come.

but that is just me, i imagine i am in the minority here.
I think next door to St Henry...what do I think of when it comes from them, the NFL players or the titles.

The titles.

87 Princeton Vikings had 8 guys go D-1 3 made NFL , 2 of them played multiple years in NFL , 84 Princeton Vikings was loaded as well . 88 Vike USA Today preseason ranked 4 to start season finish top 5 , I still think all 3 of these teams beat the 2004 Colerain team

I think they would choose the former. When you go around the state and you mention St Henry what do people remember?

Athens is unique with a Burrow, but that is as rare as it can get almost.
This point, I completely get. FWIW, one of my teachers (Newark Cath. alum) in HS referred to St. Henry in the context of "you know Jeff Hartings of the Pittsburgh Steelers? St. Henry guy." We also just played Lachey's son in the district championship for basketball, so some of us HS football fans in the audience grinned about his family tree. Me, personally, someone who grew up with Newark Catholic as a "rival" (of sorts), would generally ask people I met from the school who were older than me where they were at year-wise in comparison to Rob Kelly. I guess there's something to be had for salience, but that's just me. A colleague of mine is an alum of Mogadore HS in the late '90s, so I know what he thinks of when he hears Saint Hank.

Question I am posing is would you rather have your team win a title, or a player go on to D1 and make it to the NFL.
I guess this would depend on a) the history of my team and b) the history of schools in my area. Since there's only two schools in my county to have won a state title (one is a dynasty of yesteryear, and the other is Pickerington freakin' Central) I would definitely prefer a state title. If there were more schools in the area with state titles, then maybe I'd be less enthusiastic on the idea? Guess it depends on how good the "go D1 and make it to the NFL" is!