XC Scholarships bring in money to school/program

givetallugot

I've been trying to formulate an argument basically saying that giving male cross country recruits scholarships can bring in money for the university and program. Let me know if my argument makes sense. Are there any flaws or holes in my argument?

Okay, here are some things to assume. Let's say that the program can give out 2.5 scholarships for men's cross country. The NCAA allows men's XC programs without track to give out 5 scholarships, but we're just going to do 2.5 in this scenario because it is more realistic.

Okay, another big assumption I'm going off of is to say that our program can only give out 25% scholarship packages to cover tuition, room and board. If our program can only give out 25% rides, then that means our program can give out 10 scholarships for 25%.

Okay, so here is my argument. By being able to give out scholarships, the program (and university) can bring in 10 XC recruits who probably would have gone to another institution if they hadn't received the scholarship. These student-athletes are still paying 75% of the bill. They are paying more money to the university than the university is giving back to them. This means that the university is making more money since more students are coming to the university. Part of the university's profit (let's say 3%) goes towards funding the athletic department. So, in conclusion, if cross country scholarships are given out, then it brings in more money to the university, which in turn brings in more money to the athletic department. So, it would make sense for the athletic department to hand out scholarships (at least 25% rides) for cross country runners.

Now I know that you still have to factor in how much it costs the athletic department for each student-athlete to compete (aside from scholarships). You still have to factor in travel expenses (only 4 away meets for XC), hotel expenses (only 2 meets), and apparrel (2 pairs of shoes and 2 shirts). Also consider that the student-athletes are also participating in program fundraisers. I still think that when it is all said and done, that the student-athletes on scholarship are bringing in more money than they are receiving from the university/athletic department.

Does this make sense? Are there flaws in the argument? It seems simple enough to me. I'm thinking about proposing this argument to our AD once I graduate. The only counter to my argument that I can think of is that there is a possibility that the same recruit the program was thinking about offering athletic aid to would come without any aid at all, paying 100% of the bill instead of 75%.

Last edited:

I've been trying to formulate an argument basically saying that giving male cross country recruits scholarships can bring in money for the university and program. Let me know if my argument makes sense. Are there any flaws or holes in my argument?

Okay, here are some things to assume. Let's say that the program can give out 2.5 scholarships for men's cross country. The NCAA allows men's XC programs without track to give out 5 scholarships, but we're just going to do 2.5 in this scenario because it is more realistic.

Okay, another big assumption I'm going off of is to say that our program can only give out 25% scholarship packages to cover tuition, room and board. If our program can only give out 25% rides, then that means our program can give out 10 scholarships for 25%.

Okay, so here is my argument. By being able to give out scholarships, the program (and university) can bring in 10 XC recruits who probably would have gone to another institution if they hadn't received the scholarship. These student-athletes are still paying 75% of the bill. They are paying more money to the university than the university is giving back to them. This means that the university is making more money since more students are coming to the university. Part of the university's profit (let's say 3%) goes towards funding the athletic department. So, in conclusion, if cross country scholarships are given out, then it brings in more money to the university, which in turn brings in more money to the athletic department. So, it would make sense for the athletic department to hand out scholarships (at least 25% rides) for cross country runners.

Now I know that you still have to factor in how much it costs the athletic department for each student-athlete to compete (aside from scholarships). You still have to factor in travel expenses (only 4 away meets for XC), hotel expenses (only 2 meets), and apparrel (2 pairs of shoes and 2 shirts). Also consider that the student-athletes are also participating in program fundraisers. I still think that when it is all said and done, that the student-athletes on scholarship are bringing in more money than they are receiving from the university/athletic department.

Does this make sense? Are there flaws in the argument? It seems simple enough to me. I'm thinking about proposing this argument to our AD once I graduate. The only counter to my argument that I can think of is that there is a possibility that the same recruit the program was thinking about offering athletic aid to would come without any aid at all, paying 100% of the bill instead of 75%.

You are missing one thing. Title IX. Everything is going to be slanted towards women and the "balance" that is required by law at the schools. As long as football is included in Title IX legislation this will continue to be a problem.

You very well may be right. However, I believe said university was in compliance with title IX when the men's xc program had 2.5 scholarships a few years ago. To my understanding, scholarships were cut due to budgeting reasons at said university.

Football itself is WAY out of balance with regard to scholarships. ALL programs with football should be cut to NO MORE than 40 full-time scholarships. The sport is way out of control.

Does giving those few athletic scholarships mean (regular non-athlete) students not on scholarships (who'd pay more $) can not attend the school? Are the dorms completely full every year?

Is their any sort of additional insurance costs for a university, having non-scholarship athletes vs. scholarship? Thinking possible medical expenses for scholarship athletes.

Also keep in mind, college athletics is big business. Is their benefits to a have a higher GPA average for athletics at a college? Always seems XC is one of the leaders for team GPA averages.

Last edited:
Does giving those few athletic scholarships mean (regular non-athlete) students not on scholarships (who'd pay more $) can not attend the school? Are the dorms completely full every year?

Is their any sort of additional insurance costs for a university, having non-scholarship athletes vs. scholarship? Thinking possible medical expenses for scholarship athletes.

Also keep in mind, college athletics is big business. Is their benefits to a have a higher GPA average for athletics at a college? Always seems XC is one of the leaders for team GPA averages.

Said. No, the dorms are not completely full each year. Having 10 XC runners come in will not prevent 10 other students from coming in. Our school recently built two new dorms. As for team GPA you are right. Our team had the best team GPA amonst other men's programs at our university.

You also may be right about medical coverage. I got a cortisone shot in my hip and part of it was covered by the university.

This is the second thread you have started just complaining about your school and its program (even when you said "im not one to complain") If you have this big of a problem with the school YOU chose, you should go to the AD about and stop COMPLAINING on here where absolutely nothing is going to get done except more people telling you to go to your AD or coach.

This is the second thread you have started just complaining about your school and its program (even when you said "im not one to complain") If you have this big of a problem with the school YOU chose, you should go to the AD about and stop COMPLAINING on here where absolutely nothing is going to get done except more people telling you to go to your AD or coach.

Go away.

Said. No, the dorms are not completely full each year. Having 10 XC runners come in will not prevent 10 other students from coming in. Our school recently built two new dorms. As for team GPA you are right. Our team had the best team GPA amonst other men's programs at our university.

You also may be right about medical coverage. I got a cortisone shot in my hip and part of it was covered by the university.

Considering XC is not a contact sport, medical costs have to be a lot smaller than football, soccer, basketball or baseball. I don't know exactly what the schools medical insurance would cover, as in you getting a cortisone shot compared to an athlete who discovers a "lump" and is diagnosed with cancer.

Take advantages of other sources of information at the school, be it somebody in law, maybe a grad assistant in another sport, or even the Business schools department.....after all, what you're doing is "selling" your ideas to the AD. Show how the school can't not refuse your offer.

That said, the problem is still going to be title IX. Even if have many valid points, the AD still may not be allowed to make changes, per NCAA rules.
Assuming if a few scholarships are provided to guys XC, they have to be taken from somebody else. You had a couple a few years ago, I'm assuming they were given to a girls sport because of title IX? (figure out where they went)

I think the best way to get money for the program will not come from the AD's budget.
The challenge is figuring outside of the box.

My thinking, each department at the school has it's own budget, be it P.E. or sports management. I see a department called "School of Human Movement" and immediately think running.

Not complaining. If you could be objective about this, you would understand that I'm trying to get feedback about a logical argument that I will eventually pitch to the AD.

Go away.

Considering XC is not a contact sport, medical costs have to be a lot smaller than football, soccer, basketball or baseball. I don't know exactly what the schools medical insurance would cover, as in you getting a cortisone shot compared to an athlete who discovers a "lump" and is diagnosed with cancer.

Take advantages of other sources of information at the school, be it somebody in law, maybe a grad assistant in another sport, or even the Business schools department.....after all, what you're doing is "selling" your ideas to the AD. Show how the school can't not refuse your offer.

That said, the problem is still going to be title IX. Even if have many valid points, the AD still may not be allowed to make changes, per NCAA rules.
Assuming if a few scholarships are provided to guys XC, they have to be taken from somebody else. You had a couple a few years ago, I'm assuming they were given to a girls sport because of title IX? (figure out where they went)

I think the best way to get money for the program will not come from the AD's budget.
The challenge is figuring outside of the box.

My thinking, each department at the school has it's own budget, be it P.E. or sports management. I see a department called "School of Human Movement" and immediately think running.

Thank you for the advice. I'll look into some of the things you mentioned.