Xavier BIg East Champs

Irwin20

Congrats to Xavier for winning the Big East Title and advancing to a first round match v Virginia Tech. Unfortunately despite the fact that X was league champs with 16 wins they are asked to travel to Blacksburg to play the ACC 8th place team with 12 wins. Tech wasn’t even qualified to play in the ACC tournament.

Yes, definitely a nice season for Xavier! Not sure I see the complaint about not being ranked higher to get the home game though, I don't find it all that surprising after looking up both teams. RPI has Xavier pretty low in comparison, isn't that what is used to determine the hosting team?

Xavier - 3 losses and one was ranked (Georgetown #18)
2 ties (none ranked but one to Cincinnati, who Virginia Tech beat)
Virginia Tech - 4 losses all to ranked teams (#1 UVA, #3 UNC, #5 Florida State, and #25 Clemson)
2 ties also both to ranked teams (#12 Duke, #23 NC State).

Irwin20

Yes, definitely a nice season for Xavier! Not sure I see the complaint about not being ranked higher to get the home game though, I don't find it all that surprising after looking up both teams. RPI has Xavier pretty low in comparison, isn't that what is used to determine the hosting team?

Xavier - 3 losses and one was ranked (Georgetown #18)
2 ties (none ranked but one to Cincinnati, who Virginia Tech beat)
Virginia Tech - 4 losses all to ranked teams (#1 UVA, #3 UNC, #5 Florida State, and #25 Clemson)
2 ties also both to ranked teams (#12 Duke, #23 NC State).
I understand what you’re saying I just think a conference champ should be rewarded a home game over an 8th place team. The ACC is a good conference but UC has played teams from that conference and has been competitive (Virginia last season excluded) and has even won a few. Played Va Tech and Xavier this season I saw both games and they are a close matchup. I suppose the seedlings are based on RPI but maybe other factors deserve consideration.

Ah, conference champs over an at large bid to host definitely makes sense too!

CUPs old Bobby P. tweets a lot about Virginia Tech players and makes them seem pretty top notch, that's all I really know about them LOL!

Conan73

I understand what you’re saying I just think a conference champ should be rewarded a home game over an 8th place team. The ACC is a good conference but UC has played teams from that conference and has been competitive (Virginia last season excluded) and has even won a few. Played Va Tech and Xavier this season I saw both games and they are a close matchup. I suppose the seedlings are based on RPI but maybe other factors deserve consideration.
In RPI, Tech is rated 15th and Xavier is 42nd. The ACC is a better conference. Maybe there will be an upset. Either way, this is a tremendous accomplishment! The program was in dire straits a couple of years ago. Congrats to Coach Nate.

kmac57

They have a good chance to advance there.
How did UC end up. Saw a preseason game with UIC. Former Alter grad was on UIC. She was freshman, thought it was cool to play against your daughter and Jackson's daughter, did not know she had transferred from Louisville.

Irwin20

A bit disappointing. 7-8-3 I believe, but 4th in the AAC which gave UC a home tournament game. To be truthful there wasn’t much help for the senior class , only 1 of 8 played any meaningful minutes. Next year looks to be more promising so we’ll see. My daughter was named 1st team AAC (little brag) so she was thrilled with that. I remember there being a lot of fans for the UIC game didn’t figure out why till I looked at the roster next morning.