WSWO, Oldies 97.3, DaytonOldies.org will Not be covering Huber Heights Wayne Football this Season

Hawk1959

WSWO, FM 97.3, DaytonOldies.org Sports coverage update:

Due to a shortage of volunteer sports announcers, concerns for the health of our volunteers, the impact of the pandemic on our business underwriters and our station, and multiple away game sites denying press box access to visiting media, Oldies 97.3 will unfortunately be unable to broadcast the Fall 2020 Wayne football season.
We will evaluate resuming our Wayne sports coverage in the future.

We are sorry to be forced this direction but COVID and game site adjustments are a new reality. Be safe all...

Hawk

With all the video streaming going on, the big question is whether it's still worth making the effort to put a game on radio and streaming audio. Several Wayne games were streamed on Facebook Live last season.

I can understand small pressboxs but since most cannot attend this would be the best to get games to the fans.
Radio stations that carry 1 school's games are often reliant on small local businesses for ad revenue to defray the production costs. I imagine that selling ads to small businesses is an extremely difficult proposition right now.

Radio stations that carry 1 school's games are often reliant on small local businesses for ad revenue to defray the production costs. I imagine that selling ads to small businesses is an extremely difficult proposition right now.
L90 can probably speak to more on the radio business than I can, but I know that our station has been creative in incorporating not just ad spots but also repeatedly acknowledging sponsors of the program. I see your point, and perhaps my experience is a little jaded in that I still listen to our station religiously for games and many of my friends also do make the point to catch the game on the radio. Such that, the radio station is still a relevant and widely-listened to form of media for sports in my community. Not doubting that small businesses in every community may find the ad buys an expense they can’t see themselves paying this year, but at the same time how much of an effect exists is probably directly related to how prominent the radio station is as a form of media in a given town’s Friday/Saturday night lights scene.

I can understand small pressboxs but since most cannot attend this would be the best to get games to the fans.
Unfortunately this isn't the only case, I heard outlets wanting to cover Clinton County games were told by Wilmington and Massie that they weren't getting press box space either.

We at the station really struggled with this decision As much as Sponsors was part of the equation, it was not the main driving factor. I am the Business Manager for the station and we have extended Business Sponsors additional free months to help them stay with us and to get their information on the air. We have cut our budget and with careful planning by the board, we are able to pay our bills and keep the lights on and the music flowing. We are lucky compared to other Non-Profits and Businesses. We closed our Studios for months and came up with remote ways to get voices "Live" (well close to it) and on the air. We now have policies and practices in place to allow Volunteers back into our studios. Like others, we have had to "Make it Up as we go". We are handling the additional cost to keep the facilities as safe as possible and ask our volunteers to help as they can with cleaning processes and procedures.

We had a small core of 7 people on our Sports broadcast team. One person sadly passed away this summer (Many of you may remember Kevin O'Boyle). A number of us are concerned with Press Box safety and possibly bringing COVID home to our families or our own health. If you have ever been in a press box, you know social distancing is not possible and being on a Mic. does not lead to easy use of a mask for an entire game. We were down to maybe 2 people with no backups. (Min is 2, Play by Play and Color). One of them must travel for their job and can not guarantee to be there every Friday night. Also a number of the away games sites have denied us access to do the games to keep head counts lower and meet guidelines. An additional item the board had to consider is liability.

We have covered Wayne Sports for 15-16 years. It is our passion. To interact with the Players, coaches and all their families have been a blessing. We can never make all listeners happy but, in our love for the game and players, we happily produced the games and followed the team everywhere and do the best job we can. We are not professionals but we really care.

This was tough on us. Again, we are sorry we had to make this decision. We wish all safe days.

DaveB / Hawk1959

Due to a shortage of volunteer sports announcers, concerns for the health of our volunteers, the impact of the pandemic on our business underwriters and our station, and multiple away game sites denying press box access to visiting media, Oldies 97.3 will unfortunately be unable to broadcast the Fall 2020 Wayne football season.

We are sorry to be forced this direction but COVID and game site adjustments are a new reality. Be safe all...

Hawk
This certainly makes me sad; darn COVID

With all the video streaming going on, the big question is whether it's still worth making the effort to put a game on radio and streaming audio. Several Wayne games were streamed on Facebook Live last season.

They were free but not now.....

Get ready, are you sitting down......

They will be charging $20.00 to watch streaming Wayne football games or $100 for at least 5 of the 6 games.......

The gauging has begun......

They will be charging $20.00 to watch streaming Wayne football games or $100 for at least 5 of the 6 games.......

Ouch. Yet they wanted the 97.3 announcer audio for free.

I know the Centerville game will be on radio on 1410. I don't know if Info Radio 1610/1660 is covering Fairmont this year which might get you that one. Northmont went with NFHS network for video, so they are the one that won't be included in the Wayne package. I'm not sure what the cost is for NFHS network.

Ouch. Yet they wanted the 97.3 announcer audio for free.

I know the Centerville game will be on radio on 1410. I don't know if Info Radio 1610/1660 is covering Fairmont this year which might get you that one. Northmont went with NFHS network for video, so they are the one that won't be included in the Wayne package. I'm not sure what the cost is for NFHS network.

NFHS charges $10.99 a month or $69.99 a year..... You get thousands of games from all over the country and over 40 states all state title games....

so, one Wayne game for $20.00 or hundreds of games for $11.00 from NFHS
Wayne season pass for $100 that does not include the Northmont game or OHSAA playoff games or for $70.00 for NFHS you see thousands of games plus over 200 state final games as well as hundreds of playoff games.....

To me they are taking advantage of the situation. The capacity of the stadium is 6800.... 15% of that is 1020. Each football player, cheerleader, and band member gets 2 tickets..... so that is 60 for the roster so that is 120 tickets and another 120 tickets for the visiting team... lets say there is 150 in band so that is another 300.... no away bands so that is 0.... throw in another 40 for cheerleaders and then another 50 or so for coaches and what do we have.... 630 ... that leads another 400 or so tickets left.... They made it clear that no tickets will be sold to the general public nor will any be sold to season ticket holders unless they have a kid on the team or band..... NO STUDENT SECTION so it just does not add up.......

That the price is set beyond what you want to pay isn't "gauging" (for the love of God, at least learn to spell the words you use incorrectly).

That the price is set beyond what you want to pay isn't "gauging" (for the love of God, at least learn to spell the words you use incorrectly).

Do you think God cares if I spelled a word correctly or not...... I've been out of school for a long long long time I am just glad I got close to the right spelling to the point that people know what I am talking about.

Sorry, but when it costs $8.00 to actually go to a game but then they want to charge $20.00 to stream it and who knows what type of quality it will be in and with it being live is it going to constantly buffer with everyone trying to watch at the same time..... plus, the games last year were streamed for free.... I understand they are trying to recoup (not sure if that is spelled correctly sorry if it is not.... I guess I'll have to burn in hell if it is not) for loss ticket sales but there needs to be a middle ground.

Do you think God cares if I spelled a word correctly or not...... I've been out of school for a long long long time I am just glad I got close to the right spelling to the point that people know what I am talking about.

Sorry, but when it costs $8.00 to actually go to a game but then they want to charge $20.00 to stream it and who knows what type of quality it will be in and with it being live is it going to constantly buffer with everyone trying to watch at the same time..... plus, the games last year were streamed for free.... I understand they are trying to recoup (not sure if that is spelled correctly sorry if it is not.... I guess I'll have to burn in hell if it is not) for loss ticket sales but there needs to be a middle ground.
I think God isn't pleased to be used as an excuse for your stupidity.

There doesn't need to be a middle ground. Someone who owns something is entitled to set the price at whatever they choose. Your choices are take it or leave it.

There doesn't need to be a middle ground. Someone who owns something is entitled to set the price at whatever they choose. Your choices are take it or leave it.

did not use him as an excuse as you were the one to bring God into this discussion but then who cares anyway. Sure, they can charge what ever they want and I can choose not to pay for it. There will be hundreds of games available for free in week 1 and I will choose to watch those. In my opinion I believe the price is steep compared to other schools.

That’s not true in all cases. You can’t charge $20 for a gallon of gas when a hurricane is approaching. It is gouging. $20 for a streamed game for a public school when you can’t put fans in the stands is gouging.

It could be argued that $20 might actually save a family $$$.

Watching a game online is completely different than the experience of being at the game.

Everyone is in the same boat. I would like to know of one other school that is charging this much or more for a streaming game. I am going to end up doing it if there is no other option but if the quality of the broadcast is what it was like when it was free than it will be a one week thing.

Watching a game online is completely different than the experience of being at the game.

Everyone is in the same boat. I would like to know of one other school that is charging this much or more for a streaming game. I am going to end up doing it if there is no other option but if the quality of the broadcast is what it was like when it was free than it will be a one week thing.
Centerville has a $29.99 one week package that my understanding includes the varsity, JV, freshman, maybe 7/8th grade football games plus other fall sports that week. I think Wayne's $20 price is also for more that the varsity game. Other schools have prices similar to Wayne. See: https://videos.tkdssports.com/

Centerville has a $29.99 one week package that my understanding includes the varsity, JV, freshman, maybe 7/8th grade football games plus other fall sports that week. I think Wayne's $20 price is also for more that the varsity game. Other schools have prices similar to Wayne. See: https://videos.tkdssports.com/

I just care for varsity football...... does the subscription include the other GWOC teams..... like, if I have a Wayne subscription could I also see Centerville vs Fairmont, Beavercreek vs Springboro ... etc... as well?

I hate to hear about the prices being charged for the video streaming, but I think Dave explained the reasoning on the part of the station better than I could. Covering home games only was an option, but my wife was pretty insistent about me not risking exposure to take part in unpaid volunteer activity as opposed to going to the day job which pays the bills.

Vamps, I already paid the $100. If you want you can come over to my house to watch.

My daughter made the girls Varsity soccer team as a Freshman. Plus I have friends with sons on the Boys soccer team.

I also pay for 8 season tickets for football normally so $100 was easy.

For the Dayton Oldies guys. I seriously want you guys to still do the broadcast of the games 2021 and out. Even if it's synced up with video streaming. If football announcing is anywhere like soccer I'm muting TKDS anyways.

Hawk
Ha! “hawk”