Wright State University getting rid of softball

StateChampion2012

I wonder if dropping to division 2 would benefit them or save them any money in the athletic budget so one day those 3 sports could be brought back.

BASESWIMPARENT

I have a daughter that attends Wright State. It is a financial disaster. Two University Presidents ago had a brilliant idea to spend a bunch of capital on expansion by buying/leasing extra building in the area. The increase in demand for services did not occur and he was let go. Next President was very frugal and started to get the University back to being fiscally responsible and had a partial teacher's strike to deal with. Not really supported by the Board of Directors, she "retired". Throw in this Covid nightmare and WSU is in serious economic difficulty.

nwwarrior09

The school's an absolute dumpster fire financially, and as someone else said I wonder if they should be giving serious consideration to dropping back down to D2 athletically.

nwwarrior09

Wright State averages 3,500-4,000 in attendance per home game. They can't be making much if anything at all in men's basketball unless they have 1-2 early season "buy" games at high-major opponents.

CC Track Fan

They all get part of the NCAA tv money. I am not sure how the Horizon league distributes the money but even if they don't make the tournament it is a big check and if make the tournament even bigger. This is nearly 10 years old and look like the league of 10 teams got 10 million.
1591316924138.png

BASESWIMPARENT

They all get part of the NCAA tv money. I am not sure how the Horizon league distributes the money but even if they don't make the tournament it is a big check and if make the tournament even bigger. This is nearly 10 years old and look like the league of 10 teams got 10 million.
View attachment 7511
This is why so many teams go D1 basketball (like NKU did a few years ago). The loss of the tournament was a material impact on everyone's athletic department budget.