Would You Fly on a Boeing 737 Max?

Auggie

So I need to fly for family reasons in May and while booking the flight I was notified before confirming the itinerary that one of the flights will be on the troubled Boeing 737 Max and I had the opportunity to opt out. The issue is this was by far the best flight option for the day and the other options I have would be connecting flights that would add about 3-5 hours more to my travel plans plus more $s. So I made the decision and confirmed the flight. Now I see that Boeing is yet again recalling some of these aircraft because of electrical issues, hopefully the plane I was scheduled to be on is included in this recall.

Pre-Covid I was a high status flyer and while it is sometimes a very frustrating mode of transportation I knew the "rodeo" and always felt very safe flying domestically. Now 13 months since I last flew I am not so sure...

I never checked them either, until 60 Minutes did a special on those two 737 crashes in the early 1990's from an uncommanded rudder deflection. Said I'd never fly on a 737. Then I learned almost all the flights I was likely to be on were 737's, so I quit worrying about it. I was more concerned about those 50-passenger Embraers. Had two very uncomfortable flights in those babies in turbulent air.
My first car was a Pinto. I've never been fraid since. Eh, the egg-beater at Cedar Point causes some hesitation but other than that.
Here, here! Drove a 1972 Hatchback my first two years in college. went funny at the end, so my father traded in the Pinto to buy a new car and gave me his '75 Dodge Coronet. Two babe-mobiles before I turned 20? Man, I had to turn them down left and right!

Man, Me and my wife were catching a connector at the San Francisco airport when that went down. 14 hours later we were on a flight to Cleveland.

I never checked them either, until 60 Minutes did a special on those two 737 crashes in the early 1990's from an uncommanded rudder deflection. Said I'd never fly on a 737. Then I learned almost all the flights I was likely to be on were 737's, so I quit worrying about it. I was more concerned about those 50-passenger Embraers. Had two very uncomfortable flights in those babies in turbulent air.

Here, here! Drove a 1972 Hatchback my first two years in college. went funny at the end, so my father traded in the Pinto to buy a new car and gave me his '75 Dodge Coronet. Two babe-mobiles before I turned 20? Man, I had to turn them down left and right!

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: ahem, uh what were you saying? I got distracted.

Coming out of the initial problems, I'd have thought the plane would be the safest one out there given the microscope it had been placed under. The latest problems are certainly concerning. That being said, they're not falling out of the sky due to the new problem and most crashes are caused by newly discovered problems or catastrophic sudden failures, not identified issues.

So I need to fly for family reasons in May and while booking the flight I was notified before confirming the itinerary that one of the flights will be on the troubled Boeing 737 Max and I had the opportunity to opt out. The issue is this was by far the best flight option for the day and the other options I have would be connecting flights that would add about 3-5 hours more to my travel plans plus more $s. So I made the decision and confirmed the flight. Now I see that Boeing is yet again recalling some of these aircraft because of electrical issues, hopefully the plane I was scheduled to be on is included in this recall.

Pre-Covid I was a high status flyer and while it is sometimes a very frustrating mode of transportation I knew the "rodeo" and always felt very safe flying domestically. Now 13 months since I last flew I am not so sure...
Nice knowing you

Hey! I drove my pinto back and forth to college. Sometimes in reverse the whole way. You should have seen traffic clear out.

Clyde71 has a point though. Street cred for owning three of them. Being first car of course, tried to make it look cool with additions, canned spray paint, chrome polish and bondo. LOTs of bondo. Never quite became the chick magnet I'd imaged in my head.

I had to replace that timing belt too. I think they were infamous for that prob.

By time I was done with it, the non-working included dashlight, speedometer (had a working tach so no prob), cig lighter, radio, two window cranks, windshield wipers, and one of the doors kind of flopped around. For awhile I kept the engine temp down by blasting the heater with windows down. Then the heater went. Got a great view of the highway though between the clutch and the brake pedals (who DIDn't drive THAT car?). All those problems but the engine never quit.

Traded it in for a brand new Pontiac Sunbird (first job), which was actually worse. Kept that a year then got a Nissan Light Pickup that lasted me three jobs, four states, two exes and the best damn dog ever.

Last edited:
Vegas were an engineering mess but they souped up pretty nicely. It was Gremlins, more solid design but so ugly that were hard to work with.

But well worth it-

1200px-Gremlin_side_%285903000893%29.jpg

So I had my flight on a 737 Max and while the plane had some great bells and whistles like tech related amenities and a more comfortable cabin the flight crew says it was engineered very poorly. As an example we were delayed by almost an hour because the pilot communication system was cutting in and out; the flight attendant says this is a common problem and the fix is not simple. In fact what should be simple fixes for many of the common problems are way too complicated and you have to go through a convoluted set of steps to correct. Kind of disappointing that a US based engineering team had these issues and will put a big manufacturing export opportunity behind the Euro based Airbus product.