World Cup 2022

Also is just me or does it seem like stopage time has been longer in this tourney?
Apparently, that was a major point of emphasis to referees for the tourney. To ensure that all stoppage is accounted for. And yeah, there's been some really high numbers.

Mexico gets two quick goals in the 2nd half, but if Poland can stay within one of Argentina, they're still going through as the 2nd place team.

Ironically, if both games end at 2-0, as it stands now, Mexico would lose out on the round of 16 based on the number of yellow cards they've accumulated. :sneaky:

Mexico gets two quick goals in the 2nd half, but if Poland can stay within one of Argentina, they're still going through as the 2nd place team.

Ironically, if both games end at 2-0, as it stands now, Mexico would lose out on the round of 16 based on the number of yellow cards they've accumulated. :sneaky:
fair play points. ?

Yep. I've seen it posted somewhere that Mexico has -6 points and Poland -4 right now.
imagine the decision of whether an american NFL team gets in the Super Bowl or not coming down to how many major penalties they had called on them. how many unsportsmanlike conducts.

imagine the decision of whether an american NFL team gets in the Super Bowl or not coming down to how many major penalties they had called on them. how many unsportsmanlike conducts.
I mean, technically, the final tiebreaker in the NFL for a playoff spot is a coin toss, but there's way too many other tie breakers to go through so there's nearly no chance of that happening.

ETA: It's 7 yellow cards (Mex) to 5 yellow cards (Pol) now. If those should happen to tie up, it would actually go to a coin toss.

My son's team one year in a tournament had to go to a PK shootout to determine the team to go through in their group and play in a finals. That sucks, but at least it's better than a coin toss.

I don’t understand what the fascination is with people who need to constantly crap on soccer. There’s a lot of sports I don’t care about, but I don’t get the hard on people get with telling everyone they know that they hate soccer.
Totally agree. 15 years ago, I wouldn’t be caught watching any sort of soccer game. For the past 10 years or so, though, I’ve become a huge fan. Have FC Cincinnati season tickets and watch Tottenham as often as I can. Still love CFB, NFL, CBB, etc, but I don’t get why people seem so eager to make fun of soccer. If it’s not for you, so be it, but not sure what these guys get out of crapping on it. Let people enjoy what they enjoy.

Totally agree. 15 years ago, I wouldn’t be caught watching any sort of soccer game. For the past 10 years or so, though, I’ve become a huge fan. Have FC Cincinnati season tickets and watch Tottenham as often as I can. Still love CFB, NFL, CBB, etc, but I don’t get why people seem so eager to make fun of soccer. If it’s not for you, so be it, but not sure what these guys get out of crapping on it. Let people enjoy what they enjoy.

knuckledraggers are like that.

Soccer fans tend to gravitate to the hipsterdufus bars in certain areas so seeing that video......not surprised.
It is what it is....many like it but many, it is extremely boring.

Let em live, let em live. There are so many subsets in America enjoying a myriad of entertainment, doesnt mean it will ever reach true popularity
Lol many in America, sure, but that’s about it

Belgium is bounced from the tourney, many had them pegged as a good bet if looking for a side that had a nice number and a decent chance of winning.

Very disappointing result and tournament for Belgium. I can't imagine how hard some of their fans must be kicking themselves after seeing some of those 2nd half chances they missed.

Their team's "golden generation" peaked with a 3rd place finish in Russia in 2018.

With most of their best players now on the wrong side of 30, this likely marks the end of their run as world/European "power".

This is a crazy second half. Germany can still squeak in if they could win 4-2 and have Spain tie up Japan.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

If Belgium and Germany had performed up to par, we’d probably be looking at 10 European teams in the final 16. Instead, it’s at least 7 (including Portugal) and probably 8 if Switzerland or Serbia grab second in Group G.

WTF Germany. If you told me Germany & Belgium would not make the knock out round I would have thought you were high. Also we were all complaining about the USMNT performance against Japan in that recent friendly, maybe the result was because Japan has a fairly good side this WC.

WTF Germany. If you told me Germany & Belgium would not make the knock out round I would have thought you were high. Also we were all complaining about the USMNT performance against Japan in that recent friendly, maybe the result was because Japan has a fairly good side this WC.
Even with their lackluster performance, Germany still would have advanced if that second Japan goal today had been waved off since that ball was pretty clearly fully out of bounds over the end line before being kicked back into play. I was surprised that goal stood.

If Brazil wins their group, which looks very likely, they should have a rather easy path to the finals through the top of the bracket. A grudge match with Argentina could be lurking but they have shown flaws in this WC. In the bottom it looks one of the Euro sides of England, France, Spain, or maybe Portugal will be there for the finals. A Brazil v France finals would not stink.

Even with their lackluster performance, Germany still would have advanced if that second Japan goal today had been waved off since that ball was pretty clearly fully out of bounds over the end line before being kicked back into play. I was surprised that goal stood.

Apparently, the bird's eye view shows that the ball was possibly in, just barely: