WOOSTER V HILAND 2021

K-1122

Happened across this game's video from last Fall and it was an even matchup...knew the outcome in advance of course. But did not realize the gift of the foul the Generals were given to determine the outcome of the game. They still had to convert and did, and soccer is a match where a referee can be unfortunately a main part in the outcome. If there is a rematch in 2022, and both teams have similar personnel, it will be interesting to watch.

Attempt to picture the contact from the referee's "angle-to-the-play"........the defender appeared to get a foot in on the attacker's ankle, tripping her. "A gift of a foul"? Wow. I didn't bother to watch the entire broadcast......however, how mistakes did Hiland make during the game, how many chances did they not take advantage of? No ONE play ever decides the outcome of any game, in any sport. Lastly.....did the Referee take that near perfect DK after the foul? Oh.....right......

I'll be at Hiland on the 10th......stop down at the track & say hello!

I have no skin in the game for either team, one is a regular foe and this was not a referee bashing session. My point was more about the game of soccer itself and how a call or non call can win or lose a null null or tied game. And of course the DK needed converted and was. My impression of the play was that no contact was made and the player just caught their cleat or slipped while changing direction. (her facial expression after the call was made implied the same, almost a wow, we'll take it) And we all know how hard it is for the ref to have a perfect angle of the play at all times and interpret a stumble or foul correctly, that is what it is. The result was one team benefited from the call right or wrong and that was the only score, so ultimately was the deciding factor in the game, otherwise it would have been a tie. (yes, many other plays in any sport where someone "almost" scores or a great defensive play occurs and stops a score has a bearing on the outcome, but only scoring plays have a bearing on the score?) Both teams seemed evenly matched so it was enjoyable to watch no matter the level of play.

I think the athlete that either fouled or did not... if she knows she did not, how frustrating would it be to watch the game winner go in for an 0-1 loss considering scoring is at a premium in soccer.