WMMS Murray Saul has passed

For those of you that are from my generation, Murray Saul from WMMS has passed. He was the "Get Down!" guy. Ahh, the memories, Jeff Kinzbach, Ed "Flash" Ferenc, Kid Leo, Denny Sanders, Matt the Cat, Betty Korvan, Len "Boom" Goldberg, BLF Bash, Ruby Cheeks, Dia Stein......

I'm too young for any of those guys, but I have always heard how great the Buzzard was back in the day. I remember my dad having an old WMMS t-shirt in the 80s.

Wasn't Mr. Leonard on there, also? If memory serves, that station ruled the morning airwaves for quite a while! R.I.P. Murray.

Wasn't Mr. Leonard on there, also? If memory serves, that station ruled the morning airwaves for quite a while! R.I.P. Murray.

Mr Leonard and the Buzzard morning zoo was the down fall of the station, I was a huge fan of the music side of the station and they broke many acts and played a wide variety of tunes. WMMS was also coy about drug use with a stoned "Buzz"ard sitting on a mushroom as their logo. They updated the Buzzard during the morning zoo era and the station was never the same.

wrath-of-the-buzzard-art2c.jpg

A classic WMMS ad featuring Murray Saul.

Those world series of rock shows were the bomb. They were a free for alls and with open seating fans would camp over night to get up front. You were allowed to bring in coolers and vendors would sell paraphernalia on the way into the show. Those were the days...

They always played Born to Run on Friday night. 5:00, I think.

I think it was 6pm and they started with Born to Run followed by "Friday on my Mind." Eventually, Ian Hunter's "Cleveland Rocks" was added.

Good times! I still listen to Kinzbach on my morning drive in on 97.5 WONE.

Mr Leonard and the Buzzard morning zoo was the down fall of the station, I was a huge fan of the music side of the station and they broke many acts and played a wide variety of tunes. WMMS was also coy about drug use with a stoned "Buzz"ard sitting on a mushroom as their logo. They updated the Buzzard during the morning zoo era and the station was never the same.

wrath-of-the-buzzard-art2c.jpg

I can't say if it was a cause or a symptom of the downfall. It was definitely on the downhill side for me.

WMMS was also coy about drug use with a stoned "Buzz"ard sitting on a mushroom as their logo.

Kinzbach shared a story about Murray Saul the other day stating that they were getting a shipment of "gold" coming into the station. When Saul was on the air he yelled "and the gold is here....the gold is here!"