Will there be a season?

Old Wildcat

What does the future hold with this virus? Theres schools canceling classes and having assignments done online. If no classes will there be sports? This is getting out of hand. Is it justified or the media and governments going to far? If theres no season what a shame for the seniors. What does everyone else think? Personally I'm scared.

Seeing everything canceled these days, I think it is a possibility. It would definitely be a shame. I guess we don't know enough about the virus itself to tell whether this is an overreaction or not.

The whole thing about cancelling events and classes is the "mass gathering" aspect; events where 1,000+ people will gather in the same place, with an emphasis on indoor events (the indoor emphasis not as strong now, but still more about mass gatherings). Not many HS baseball games in Ohio garner 1,000 fans, so we should be okay.

I agree about the crowd size but I wonder if schools will be able to justify not holding classes for an extended period of time but allowing spring sports to meet daily

There better be a season, I dont see why there wouldnt be.
For one, not many attend, and 2, it is freaking outside.

My goodness people are panicking over this garbage.

The reason for cancelling events with mass people is a systematic approach to not having enough health care facilities to care for the sick. It's not that the experts feel this virus is that dangerous, it's simply decisions based on statistics people a lot smarter than you or I have. It's basically if X amount of people require medical care, we only have X amount of hospital rooms. Of course media is going to play off this, they're parasites. School ball is just a spring training for summer ball anyway.

If they cancel the season, there will be alot of baseball players joining their travel teams early and playing just as many games.

There are a lot more people who attend MLB Spring Training games than attend the OHSAA baseball state championships. If we start cancelling our HS spring sports seasons... #smh

As for our school, our head basketball coach and head baseball coach are the same guy. And our AD is the varsity baseball assistant (who's been working his tail off the last month for our basketball team that is still playing in regionals). I'm #3 on the totem pole for our baseball program... I'm fine running the show in their absence, but it'd be nice to get some closure on the winter sports season so we can move on to some normalcy.

If they cancel the season, there will be alot of baseball players joining their travel teams early and playing just as many games.
Not sure how that would happen. Virtually all tournaments until June are for non-high school age groups. Guess tourney directors could scramble and look for field availability and then add older ages (15 - 18u). Could just play teams during the week that are willing to meet up. Expect more fees from your travel program for certain.

Mike Popovich from the Canton Repository just tweeted (then subsequently deleted):
"BREAKING: The Ohio Athletic Conference has cancelled all 2020 spring sports seasons effective March 16."

I have a feeling it is going to trickle down. It's coming...

There would be alot of scrambling but I think the Coaches would be happy to have the extra time with their teams.

Mike Popovich from the Canton Repository just tweeted (then subsequently deleted):
"BREAKING: The Ohio Athletic Conference has cancelled all 2020 spring sports seasons effective March 16."

I have a feeling it is going to trickle down. It's coming...
I think we have to be careful making decisions too early. The baseball/softball season is already plagued (sorry for the pun) by numerous rainouts. Just think of this as one massive storm. By the time we reach May, this could be mostly contained if China is a good indicator.

There would be alot of scrambling but I think the Coaches would be happy to have the extra time with their teams.
Nah.
While some coaches would like a little bit more time to get outside often enough before their first scrimmage/game, I doubt they are are happy about this at all.

I wonder....are schools closing next? Think some city ones are, but what about us country bumpkins?

Nah.
While some coaches would like a little bit more time to get outside often enough before their first scrimmage/game, I doubt they are are happy about this at all.

I wonder....are schools closing next? Think some city ones are, but what about us country bumpkins?

Wow. You really pay attention.....??

Not sure how that would happen. Virtually all tournaments until June are for non-high school age groups. Guess tourney directors could scramble and look for field availability and then add older ages (15 - 18u). Could just play teams during the week that are willing to meet up. Expect more fees from your travel program for certain.

Down south high school club starts in early May.

There's no way any school district would allow Spring Sports to even practice at this point. I look for OHSAA to cancel soon.

Our school district has cancelled all Spring sport activities until April 6th. Very worried this season may be cancelled.

I still think the tournament is two months away and can be cancelled at the last minute. Cancelling now doesn't allow for starting everything back up if things change.

Why? Not a large group. very few diagnosed in Ohio. Nobody in Cincy area yet/ I would not cancel until we get more evidence.

What’s wrong with reassessing things in 2 weeks?I don’t get the rush to cancel spring sports at the HS level, it’s not like there’s a lot of travel or large crowds, especially for Spring sports

What’s wrong with reassessing things in 2 weeks?I don’t get the rush to cancel spring sports at the HS level, it’s not like there’s a lot of travel or large crowds, especially for Spring sports
yes, keep the practicing and see what happens. most of the games aren't scheduled for two more weeks. if you stop the workouts, yo are asking for injuries.

yes, keep the practicing and see what happens. most of the games aren't scheduled for two more weeks. if you stop the workouts, yo are asking for injuries.
100% agree......take it week by week. Why cancel things so far out into the future. I believe it will be the end scenario, but why paint yourself into a corner. No need to be so matter of fact. The most ironic part, and I'm a Catholic, is the archdiocese stance on this. After decades of deceit and not taking stands, now they want to take a hard line approach. No practice, working out on school property, or any organized activity for a month. Now they care about the "health and well being" of the catholic youth and their parents.