• Russia

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • Jackson Center

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Troy Christian

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What do you consider playing with them ? Staying within 20 ?
Great question. I do think, as I've said before, a really bad game by RH, and a great game by Russia and they upset RH.

Playing with them? I would say 10 -15 is playing with them.

Great question. I do think, as I've said before, a really bad game by RH, and a great game by Russia and they upset RH.

Playing with them? I would say 10 -15 is playing with them.
I agree 10-15 is playing with them and also doing something hardly any team has done. I would love to see RH have to make some shots when a game is really close. I'm sure they can but most of their kids haven't experienced that at all.

From cleveland.com:

Berlin Hiland (22-6) vs. Lima Central Catholic (26-2)

When: 10:45 a.m. Friday
Where: UD Arena

About the Hawks: Down two starters, Hiland made its third straight state final four. Coach Mark Schlabaugh lost senior guard Connor Beachy at the end of the regular season after sophomore Ashton Schrock was lost in the preseason. Sophomore point guard Alex Miller (7.5 points, 4.6 assists) stepped into the point in his place after earning time in last year’s run. “We’ve thrown him in there out of necessity,” Schlabaugh said. “We lost Ashton in the preseason. Alex has gotten better as this season has gone on. He plays 100 percent at all times, and I think he learned as the floor general you need to slow down sometimes.” Schlabaugh also brings back senior Sammy Detweiler (16.3 points, 3.2 assists, 2.8 steals) for his third year starting in the final four. The Hawks pushed Ottawa-Glandorf, which will be in the Division III state semifinals later Friday, before a three-point loss in late January. They have won 12 of 14 games since then, but Schlabaugh thinks his team didn’t turn the corner until a 57-54 victory in the district semifinals against Shadyside. “I think getting that win, giving our kids confidence,” Schlabaugh said, “they started to believe again that they could maybe make that deep tournament run.” This is Hiland’s third straight state semifinal appearance and fifth in the last seven years.

About the Thunderbirds: Riding a 15-game winning streak into the state semifinals, Lima Central Catholic has not lost since Jan. 19 at Spencerville. Coach Sean Powell has the Thunderbirds in their first final four since winning the Division III state championship in 2016 vs. Villa Angela-St. Joseph. It’s a return to Dayton for Powell, who coached Botkins to the Division IV crown in 2021. That run came with his son, Jayson Priddy-Powell, leading the way. This one includes a handful of college-bound players, including senior forward Billy Bourk, who signed with Adrian College in Michigan for multiple sports. Sophomore guard Willie Foster (10.7 points) has an offer from Southern Utah for basketball. There’s also sophomore guard and leading scorer Jordan Priddy (15.1 points per game). Powell credited senior point guard DeMarr Foster’s play with him earlier this season. Lima Central Catholic finished the regular season fifth in the state poll with signature wins against Division III state semifinalist Ottawa-Glandorf, Division II regional qualifier Lima Shawnee and Division I Lima Senior. The Thunderbirds are coming off a 63-60 win vs. Toledo Christian in the regional finals at Bowling Green’s Stroh Center. Carson Parker led them in that one with 19 points and is averaging 10.7 points on the season.

Richmond Heights (17-9) vs. Russia (27-1)

When: 2 p.m. Friday
Where: UD Arena

About Spartans: Richmond Heights has been to each state final four since the OHSAA moved it to Dayton in 2021, falling in the semifinals that first year to Botkins before Dorian Jones and De’Erick Barber emerged as freshmen to lead the Spartans’ first state title. Then came last year’s run, which capped a 49-game winning streak. Of course, that mark came to an end with coach Quentin Rogers’ bulked up schedule for this season. “It obviously helped us more mentally than physically,” Rogers said. “Early on we had injuries. Other guys had to step up into roles against high level competition.” That included wins against St. Ignatius, which is in Saturday’s Division I state semifinals, Pickerington Central and St. Edward. They also beat Buchtel and St. Vincent-St. Mary among the local matchups after those out-of-state trips. The Spartans proceeded to dominate the Division IV tournament, winning games by 41 points or better until last week’s 95-61 victory against Warren JFK in Canton. Jones scored 24 points to pace that effort, while Steele added 16 points and Barber had 13. The lineup has been a balanced one, led by Jones at 14.1 points per game with Steele (12.3 points), Winters (12.2 points), Wilson (10.0 points, 6.1 rebounds) and Barber (10.2 points, 8.1 assists, 3.1 steals) as the maestro. Asked Tuesday during the teleconference if he might consider an even tougher schedule next season, Rogers confirmed it. “My goal is to play the best that I can possibly play and put them through as much adversity as I can,” he said. “If I can make the schedule harder next year, I will do that.

About Raiders: A pair of 6-2 seniors lead Russia in returning starters Brayden Monnin (11.2 points) and Hayden Quinter (10.2 points) from the team that played through the death of then head coach Dave Borchers, who died after a car crash in October 2022, to go on a memorable run to the final four. Russia is now back with an experienced set of multisport standouts, including three seniors who won a state baseball championship as sophomores in 2022 and got back to Akron for the finals last year. The rest are juniors, including guard Benjamin York, who led Russia with 19 points in the regional finals. The Raiders also have a trio of juniors at 6-4 or taller to throw at the Spartans. “Nothing really bothers them,” Cordonnier said. “They’re not flashy, they’re not cocky, they just go out and take care of business.” They also have players who reached the state championships in golf and another in cross country. Their only loss this basketball season came in early February, a 52-48 loss at Anna. They dominated their postseason run, similar to Richmond Heights, with the closest game being a 56-35 regional final victory against Troy Christian. The rest came by 34 points or more.

How to watch: All games will be available to watch on OHSAA.tv and listen on the OHSAA Radio Network. Games on Friday will be available on Spectrum News, while Saturday and Sunday games will be on Spectrum News 1.

State championship: 10:45 a.m. Sunday

We will find out today if Russia is worthy of all the hype. They get another shot at the champs. Richmond Heights has seemed pretty locked in since the return of Barber. I don't see anybody challenging them. In fact today might be the state championship game in D4.

We will find out today if Russia is worthy of all the hype. They get another shot at the champs. Richmond Heights has seemed pretty locked in since the return of Barber. I don't see anybody challenging them. In fact today might be the state championship game in D4.
Their performance today won't decide that, they deserve all attention/hype/credit/love/whatever you want to call it. One of the best D4 teams I've ever seen come out of SWOH......and all Russia kids :stirthepot:

Their performance today won't decide that, they deserve all attention/hype/credit/love/whatever you want to call it. One of the best D4 teams I've ever seen come out of SWOH......and all Russia kids :stirthepot:
Not quite Russia does have a CB of 12. That is from 21 data could not find anything more recent.

Without knowing the FT conversions and totals for the second half and points beyond, missing six freebie’s in the first half probably is going to haunt LCC for a while. Or if those woes continued in the second half.

Without knowing the FT conversions and totals for the second half and points beyond, missing six freebie’s in the first half probably is going to haunt LCC for a while. Or if those woes continued in the second half.
Did not attempt many FT's in 2nd half or OT. Seemed like both teams were running on fumes in overtime, neither team very deep.

it may not have changed much considering it went to double OT but did anyone catch that LCC only got one free throw attempt in the second quarter on a non-shooting foul when they should have gotten two due to the new team foul rule?

Anabaptist prayers more powerful than LCCs today - evidently. Lol

What a game!

LCC must hate Hiland.

I like to think somewhere Coach Reese was standing calmly with his arms folded,and saying, "We're fine." :)

Detweiller and Winkton spelling I am sure off, had 42 of Hilands 62 pts. Priddy and Parker had 44 of LCC's 59 pts. LCC missed shots at the end of reg. and 1st OT that would have won the game.

Heck of a first game. Both teams left it all out there.

Now for the big one Richmond vs Russia. Go Raiders get that revenge.

Not quite Russia does have a CB of 12. That is from 21 data could not find anything more recent.
Russia does get a fair amount of Houston kids along with some Bradford/Covington. Pretty sure all the players are Russia bred though. But it pales in comparison to what Richmond Heights is doing. Go Raiders!

it may not have changed much considering it went to double OT but did anyone catch that LCC only got one free throw attempt in the second quarter on a non-shooting foul when they should have gotten two due to the new team foul rule?
Did not notice but how that was not a shooting foul on the lob pass attempt by LCC in 2nd qtr. on BH. However, the officiating overall was good I thought.

Did not notice but how that was not a shooting foul on the lob pass attempt by LCC in 2nd qtr. on BH. However, the officiating overall was good I thought.
same free throw shooter but different play. Lima got a steal and threw it up to #1 and he got tripped up. You may remember he got up holding his elbow. He shot one FT and missed and it was live after that.

Probably asked already but can you watch Russia vs Richmond Heights anywhere? Are they streaming semi final games on Spectrum news 1?

I believe they normally post a play by play on ohsaa.org. It’s not up there yet but will be interesting to see what it shows.