When will AAU be back in Ohio?

Good to see. I understand the TD's reason for wanting to keep them in the tournament but that is one of those things where it crosses your mind but realize that it will only hurt you in the long run.

I ran a local rec league for 5 years. There was a very big difference in the ability of some of the refs but I was happy with them all and supported them. Running that league taught me how valuable the officials are to having a successful league.
Allowing lunatic “coaches” (I use the term lightly for street ball) to call the shots because they paid money is a disservice to the teams that conduct themselves appropriately.

Many officials feel they are in charge, I have always seen them more as an arbitrator who lets the game play out. If you feel you are in charge then you actually control who wins and I would never hire you if that is the way you feel. Unfortunately this happens more than it should because of the low number of available officials. Many know they will get called upon over and over because assigners have little options.

But again my question would be if a official has a T against an unruly coach or player, what does the coach have against an unruly official?
They are literally paid to be in charge of the game. And the first time a fight breaks out, guess who the first people you will blame are? The refs, for “losing control of the game.”

I think Jay Bilas has said before that “the officials are the law of the court.” It is literally in their job description to enforce the rules. If schools don’t like that, there is nothing stopping them from playing a recess game without officials.

“In charge” = “controlling who wins” did you actually say that? It’s clear you have an axe to grind with officials, for whatever reason. Nothing stopping you from signing up yourself if you think your “style” will be better for the game.

Working a 16U Regional years ago...... Second day of the tourney, I get a kid for hook on a spin to the bucket and he slams the ball down sending it into orbit, so I whack him. He responds by MFing me three times as he's walking to the bench. So may partner whacks him again and dumps him. The coach goes ballistic and earns himself a copy of the home game as we instruct him to leave as well.

At halftime the tourney director approaches us and asks us to reconsider. I laughed and said "I think we punished them all we can"... He didn't laugh and said he was reinstating both of them. "they paid a lot of money to play in this event and we aren't doing that to them." was the response to me...

I advised that the kid MF-ed me 3x and the coach called my mother a whore. Was told I needed a thicker skin. (announcer speak)...

So we chucked our whistles at the TD and told them they needed two new officials and walked out.

Stories like that are plentiful around the circuit. Guys who work for TD's like that (and the paltry fees that are offered) don't do any official and favors.
Thank you both for doing the right thing. It's too bad that so many officials would have kowtowed because they wanted the money.

But again my question would be if a official has a T against an unruly coach or player, what does the coach have against an unruly official?

Officials are sanctioned all the time for inappropriate behavior, ranging from reassignments and removals from games to suspensions of their officiating permits.

I already answered your question. If you don’t like my answer, that’s not my problem.
Apparently I was not clear enough for you to understand. My question was at game time. Since a T would be administered during the game, what can a coach do during a game. Sorry to be unclear and I will not wait for the answer since you feel you already gave one.

During the game, ref boys are the head law dogs!!!

How dare you undermine their authority of THEIR court. Don’t you know who runs the show? We’re all there to see the ref boys!!!!

This is their craft, and they’re perfecting it!!!!

I've rarely seen officials argue with fans. What I've seen is fans that have gone overboard get removed from the game by the official or the site administrator. Hardly ever see an argument back and forth.
I would reflect to your earlier comment about the NBA. I wish high school officials would just work the game and not the crowds. Let the site admins handle the crowd. Some officials feel they need to control the entire building when they are in it. Just work the game the best you can and I'm happy.

I would reflect to your earlier comment about the NBA. I wish high school officials would just work the game and not the crowds. Let the site admins handle the crowd. Some officials feel they need to control the entire building when they are in it. Just work the game the best you can and I'm happy.

Amen. Just call the damn game.

Apparently I was not clear enough for you to understand. My question was at game time. Since a T would be administered during the game, what can a coach do during a game. Sorry to be unclear and I will not wait for the answer since you feel you already gave one.
Be the bigger person and wait until after the game to address the official's behavior with your AD, and ultimately the assigner. It's not rocket science.

Or, you can pull your team off the court, or you can get angry and risk a technical foul and ejection. Neither of those options is likely to work out favorably for the coach following the game, however.

What do you do at a traffic stop when the officer is behaving inappropriately? You can lose your cool and risk going to jail or you can address it with his department once you leave. Getting into an argument with authority figures (and like it or not, referees are authority figures) is not likely to ever work out in your favor.

"Silence can never be misquoted." That goes for coaches and referees.

They are literally paid to be in charge of the game. And the first time a fight breaks out, guess who the first people you will blame are? The refs, for “losing control of the game.”

I think Jay Bilas has said before that “the officials are the law of the court.” It is literally in their job description to enforce the rules. If schools don’t like that, there is nothing stopping them from playing a recess game without officials.

“In charge” = “controlling who wins” did you actually say that? It’s clear you have an axe to grind with officials, for whatever reason. Nothing stopping you from signing up yourself if you think your “style” will be better for the game.
I have no axe. It has been explained to me the officials by definition are paid to enforce the rules of the game and maintain order. IF you were to say they are in charge I would think that they are in charge of enforcing the rules and in charge of maintaining order. I have some very good friends that are officials or refs that I work with. I will say there are some refs as well as coaches that rate themselves much higher than reality does. Being modest and humble are good traits for both. IMO

If fans would behave appropriately and site admins would do their job, officials would never have to get involved. Most admins don't address crowd behavior until officials ask them to - so they can have a scapegoat.

Every time I have ever seen an official directly engage the spectators regarding their conduct, it has been in rec ball or AAU where there is no admin to address it. I cannot recall ever seeing an official in a real high school game engaging fans directly.

Be the bigger person and wait until after the game to address the official's behavior with your AD, and ultimately the assigner. It's not rocket science.

Or, you can pull your team off the court, or you can get angry and risk a technical foul and ejection. Neither of those options is likely to work out favorably for the coach following the game, however.

What do you do at a traffic stop when the officer is behaving inappropriately? You can lose your cool and risk going to jail or you can address it with his department once you leave. Getting into an argument with authority figures (and like it or not, referees are authority figures) is not likely to ever work out in your favor.

"Silence can never be misquoted." That goes for coaches and referees.
Ah ok, so the coach waits until after the game to address an issue but the ref can signal 2 Ts as a personal reactions and have the coach removed. I like that answer. Be the bigger man. I like it.

Did you just compare a ref (yourself) to a police officer? That is one I have never heard. Thanks.

If fans would behave appropriately and site admins would do their job, officials would never have to get involved. Most admins don't address crowd behavior until officials ask them to - so they can have a scapegoat.

Every time I have ever seen an official directly engage the spectators regarding their conduct, it has been in rec ball or AAU where there is no admin to address it. I cannot recall ever seeing an official in a real high school game engaging fans directly.
I have seen fans at high school games ejected. And most of them are from the same officials. I have even seen officials walk out of an AAU game because of judgement from the stands. Without asking for an ejection.

Ah ok, so the coach waits until after the game to address an issue but the ref can signal 2 Ts as a personal reactions and have the coach removed. I like that answer. Be the bigger man. I like it.

Did you just compare a ref (yourself) to a police officer? That is one I have never heard. Thanks.
A ref can signal 2 Ts because the rules allow him to do so, yes. If you don't think refs should be allowed to give Ts you should take that up with the NFHS committee (made up of coaches) that writes the rules.

How about we get away from officiating and talk about the judge in Lake County (good for him) that just ruled Acton's order closing gyms unconstitutional ?

A ref can signal 2 Ts because the rules allow him to do so, yes. If you don't think refs should be allowed to give Ts you should take that up with the NFHS committee (made up of coaches) that writes the rules.
I have no issue with the rules. I was asking if their are game rules to deal with the other scenario. As you said, people are human and they can make bad choices with their actions. This goes for coaches and refs. Thanks.

Last edited:
How about we get away from officiating and talk about the judge in Lake County (good for him) that just ruled Acton's order closing gyms unconstitutional ?
Are you referring to weight lifting gyms or basketball gyms? One may involve AAU and the other does not.

Are you referring to weight lifting gyms or basketball gyms? One may involve AAU and the other does not.

Small gyms filed suit. This however, will have a ripple effect across all businesses throughout Ohio.

Damages could be awarded.

Last edited:
That order from the Ohio Heath Department Director was lifted. I have been told it is now up to each School district to decide when they open after May 26th.

I know Medina is opening their gym on the 26th but no more than 10 people are allowed in at a time and if people are in direct contact with each other, they have to wear masks until further notice

It doesn't sound like team activities will happen in June but they are hoping the OHSAA makes July the team month, but that will then go directly against AAU because last I was told, the AAU program my son was set to play for was also hoping for a July start and hopefully through August. They had a regional schedule set but that was scrapped and they are hoping to get in at least 5 or 6 local tournaments. Hopefully I'll find out more in the next couple of days.

It's a start at least.

It’ll be a mess. You’ll have the HS team, AAU and football. I feel for the players being pulled in all directions

It’ll be a mess. You’ll have the HS team, AAU and football. I feel for the players being pulled in all directions

Absolutely, I think for the most part, the football/basketball kids are going to have to choose one or the other over the summer.

Then, basketball only kids will have to decide whether to play AAU or with the HS team. Plus, gyms will be scarce if team summer leagues are going H2H with AAU tournaments. I guess one could be during the week and the other on weekends but that is gonna be a ton of stress over a short period where kids are playing 12 to 15 games a week, not counting whatever practices there are.

Plus, there will be situations where an AAU coach is also a varsity coach so how do they manage that?

Yeah, it's going to be a mess.