What's going on in the world

It's always a pleasure to hear from one of America's great thinkers:

Are there now three Americas? One of white guilt and penance, one of black anger and victimization, and another seething in silence as they see their 244 years of history written off as something worse than the pasts of Somalia, Peru, Iran, or Serbia.

There are now two realities — beyond two national anthems, beyond black and white dorms, black and white segregated safe spaces on campus, and beyond now segregated black and white history, language, philosophy, and science and math.

Unfortunately if we're not careful this won't end well:

Segregation will doom this revolution. It is the worst poison in a multiracial society. Yet it is the signature issue of Black Lives Matter — everything from separate safe spaces and theme houses based on skin color in universities to specials fees and rules for non-blacks. The popular forces of integration, assimilation, and intermarriage will not be harnessed by racial-separatist czars, asking for DNA pedigrees as they sleuth for microaggressions and implicit biases.

The BLM problem is that never in history has a radical cultural revolution at its outset declared itself both race-based and yet predicated on a small minority of the population, whose strategy was to shame and debase the majority that was sympathetic to the idea of relegating race to insignificance.

If sowing the wind has been getting ugly, reaping the whirlwind will be more so.

POTUS just threatened to cut federal aid if schools don't reopen in the Fall. This is rich coming from a dude who paid someone to take his SAT's for him.

Oh was this before or after Tucker called her un-patriotic and insinuated she hates America?
Right, watch the segment from last night. I’m not going to explain the whole thing to you. So you think her statement that taking down George Washington statues, the father of our country and a Veteran makes her pro American?

1594233416871.png

POTUS just threatened to cut federal aid if schools don't reopen in the Fall. This is rich coming from a dude who paid someone to take his SAT's for him.

Terrible idea. Federal funds only make up about 10% of a typical school district's budget, but Trump along with Betsy DumbOs are going to go on a crying tirade when they very predictably get crucified by most media sources as withheld federal funds will overwhelmingly hurt low-income districts and special education services -- which for many is going to include servicing kids that aren't going to be in the building any time soon due to having physical ailments that put them at very elevated COVID risk.

Terrible idea. Federal funds only make up about 10% of a typical school district's budget, but Trump along with Betsy DumbOs are going to go on a crying tirade when they very predictably get crucified by most media sources as withheld federal funds will overwhelmingly hurt low-income districts and special education services -- which for many is going to include servicing kids that aren't going to be in the building any time soon due to having physical ailments that put them at very elevated COVID risk.
Easy fix....reopen schools

Easy fix....reopen schools

Not so easy IMO.

There is much conflicting and contradictory info on COVID, including whether or not asymptomatic kids spread it.

At the schools that are more reliant on federal funds, typically inner-city and isolated rural, you have a much higher percentage of children that live with grandparents, whether they are their guardian(s) or their family has a multi-generational or community home. These places are going to be more hesitant to go full-go than most suburban and more middle-class rural districts.

Kids have to go back to school. Online learning isn’t learning at least in the case of grammar school kids. I listened to my wife try her best to teach second graders from March to May. These kids just don’t have the attention span or discipline to learn. Then there are the poor parents, many times one parent, who has to make arrangements (if possible) around the school day, it’s just not feasible. Also what about the social aspect of school?Interacting with kids in a controlled environment is critical in so many ways. These kids will suffer long term for pushing this back much longer. I’m sorry but it’s true.

Not so easy IMO.

There is much conflicting and contradictory info on COVID, including whether or not asymptomatic kids spread it.

At the schools that are more reliant on federal funds, typically inner-city and isolated rural, you have a much higher percentage of children that live with grandparents, whether they are their guardian(s) or their family has a multi-generational or community home. These places are going to be more hesitant to go full-go than most suburban and more middle-class rural districts.
Hear what you're saying but kids need to get back to school. Good article.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-19-kids-parents-summer

Not so easy IMO.

It's actually painfully easy. Open the schools, and the incredibly small number of kids from at-risk households can stay home. ?‍♂️

Hear what you're saying but kids need to get back to school. Good article.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-covid-19-kids-parents-summer

Believe me I want them back in school. From everyone that I've talked to and from what I've seen, online schooling has largely been a disaster -- especially for kids who already struggle with academic success. The longer this is drawn out, the worse it's going to widen the success gap between good and poor students and higher performing and lower performing districts.

Believe me I want them back in school. From everyone that I've talked to and from what I've seen, online schooling has largely been a disaster -- especially for kids who already struggle with academic success. The longer this is drawn out, the worse it's going to widen the success gap between good and poor students and higher performing and lower performing districts.
https://time.com/5864300/cdc-guidance-schools-reopening/

It's actually painfully easy. Open the schools, and the incredibly small number of kids from at-risk households can stay home. ?‍♂️

I'm largely in favor of my local district's plan. They are letting families opt-in either for all in-person instruction five days a week, or for all online instruction if they feel their child/family are at-risk or they feel it's unsafe. Seems reasonable to me ?‍♂️

Conservatives/Republicans are supposed to be in favor of local/state school control. Most should be in favor of districts deciding for themselves as there is plenty of conflicting information about "best practices" for combatting the 'rona. I feel most districts are better apt to decide for themselves than some bureaucrats and politicians in DC.