What track coaches should be in OATCCC hall of fame that aren't?

I'm curious to see what people think here? I'm going the give you a list, and let the debate begin:

Chip Dobson Mason/(was at Taylor) boys coach
Matt Somerlot Centerville boys coach
Frank Russo Lasalle boys coach
Ron Russo McCauley (long time at Colerain) girls coach
Mike Dehring St. Xavier (he might be more CC, but has been head track before) boys coach
Sidney Booker Dunbar boys coach (maybe girls)
Ken Meibers Princeton boys coach
Mike Fernandez Wayne boys and girls coach
Tony Affatato Mason girls coach

Four more worthy of consideration,

Pat Miller- boys and girls Fairmont
Steve Poitinger- boys Lebanon
Roger Ilg- girls Wilmington
Scott Dalton- girls Middletown

Chris Rupe from Mcdonald. Four time cross country state champ (99, 01, 04, 11), five time state cross country runner-up (00, 02, 03, 07, 11), and one state championship in track (99).

speaking of middletown, what about Floyd Horton, he had some real good boys squad at Middletown, and a state championship too....
The girls coach at Wilmington, too, i forget her name, but i think she did throws but was head coach forever....

I agree with Ilg and Dalton, probably Pointinger, iffy on Miller, Fairmont really hasn't done much since he took over...

speaking of middletown, what about Floyd Horton, he had some real good boys squad at Middletown, and a state championship too....
The girls coach at Wilmington, too, i forget her name, but i think she did throws but was head coach forever....

I agree with Ilg and Dalton, probably Pointinger, iffy on Miller, Fairmont really hasn't done much since he took over...

Coach Dalton is the Middletown girl's Varsity basketball coach and is also an assistant track coach for the middle school.

The girls throwing coach from Wilmington is Eileen Grosse and has been coaching for close the thirty years at Wilmington. I think she is worthy of a nomination.

To be in the HOF, you have to nominated through the OATCCC

For those that believe any coach should be nominated to the OATCCC, It is up to YOU to nominate them. You can get a form from your OATCCC Rep. or I think you can get a copy from the OATCCC website (www.oatccc.com). Send it to to you representative and they will submit it. Each OATCCC district can only have so many active nominations at a time, and a nomination is only active for 3 years. There are many deserving coaches that will never get in the the HOF because they are not nominated. There may be some who do get in that are not as qualified, but because someone nominated them at the right time, then they make it. Same holds true for Ohio athletes. Nominate them... fill out the form.
Note: the forms are pretty specific and the district rep may not know the important info (it's not just about wins/losses, titles, or All-ohio athletes.
Only one other page of info or a letter may go along with the nomination form.

I am def gonna nominate one of our longtime coaches. She deserves to be in after 17 years of both CC and T&F!! Thanks for the link!

Let me first say that the above mentioned coaches are all incredibly accomplished as are undoubtedly some others that haven't been listed yet. I initially hesitated in submitting this but felt compelled to do so, as to this point in the discussion there is one name that hasn't been mentioned that surely does deserve consideration. After doing considerable research (as you'll see!) I'm sure you'll agree that this coach has gathered up a pretty good coaching resume. Enjoy!

Rae Alexander has coached distance athletes that have earned All-Ohio over 100 times! She coached 3 State Championship Girls XC teams at Olmsted Falls plus two that were runner-up. She coached an entire decade at the Falls where they won at least one State Championship per year the entire decade of the 80's (relay, XC team, individual track/XC).

She coached 3 State Champ, sub 5 minute milers at Olmsted Falls in Michelle Kalikin (4:54, 4th at Nats, 10:51, 17:32 FL All-American), Kim Haluscsak (4:59, 10:38, 17:53, 5 time State Champ), Angie Inge (4:59 State Champ).

As boys coach at OFHS she coached a State Champ 4X8, a State Runner-up at 1600 (Chris Rybicki) and a State runner-up at 800 (JB Ritchie) along with many other All-Ohioans.

At Strongsville, coaching boys, she coached 8:56 3200 runner Chris Kollar (Also 4:10 1600 All-American) and most recently her son, Colby, the 2010 State 1600 champ. Of the athletes that have earned All-Ohio over 100 times under Rae, Colby was number 100! She also helped him to 3 All-American finishes. At 4:07.9, Colby is the fastest miler she's coached. At Strongsville (her alma mater) she coached numerous sub 8 minute 4X8 relays including a 7:45 unit in 2008.

At Medina in 2011, she was the boys distance coach in track. In 2011 she coached 5 sub 10 minute 3200 runners during that season including 9:16 Regional Champ David Knack. Two others including a 4:21.87 miler may have been able to break 10 but they never ran it. At the NOC Valley Div conf. meet (one of Ohio's very best distance conferences year-in-year-out) Medina's boys took 1-2 in the 800, 1600 and 3200 and first in the 4X8. That may never be accomplished again in a conf that deep in talent. The Medina boys 4 X mile relay finished the year out earning All-American honors at the NB Outdoor National Meet placing 4th in 17:46 (c 4X1600).

This year she took over for track at Brecksville as asst for boys and girls distance. Already thru indoors she helped Rob Scanlon to the podium at indoor State in the 3200 (9:29) as well as first year track runner Matthew Dietrich (SR) to the podium in the 1600 at 4:25.01. She also had an additional qualifier in the 1600 (David Ryland) and a girls 4X8 make it.

All in all she's helped her runners win 5 State individual 1600 championships, 2 State individual 3200 championships, 3 individual State XC wins, 2 State 4X8 relay wins, 3 XC team Titles. As for State second place finishes, almost double that number for State runner-up honors. Her runners have earned All-American honors 10 times and All-Ohio honors over 100 times.

She was head girls XC coach at OFHS as well as asst coach in track for boys and girls, asst XC and track coach in charge of boys distance at Strongsville and Medina and is now asst track coach in charge of boys and girls distance at Brecksville. She coached 19 years at Olmsted Falls, 14 years at Strongsville, a year and a half at Medina and is presently at Brecksville.

I'd say that every program she touched flourished. Her resume is pretty darn good!

Last edited:
How about Jessie Magoto: Minster girls XC

Since 1999- 8 State Championships, twice runner-up, twice 3rd, and only once outside of the top 3(2011-8th)

Has won all but one MAC team title in her coaching career as well.

Hamburglar....you hit that one right on the head. Jessie is a no brainer. I would have to believe that the only reason Rae and Jessie aren't in yet is that no one has nominated them.

Read those last two posts and it would be hard to argue against their qualifications. Those resumes are simply outstanding.

Jessie and Rae are two of the All-Time great female track and XC coaches in our state history without a shadow of a doubt. Another great female coach that flies way under the radar is Wadsworth's distance coach, Michelle Jungbluth. I know Jungbluth is her maiden name but I can't remember her married name. That's how under the radar she is!!!! But just look at what the Wadsworth's boys have done under Michelle. Great coach.

xcotty dalton is the man ''; he should be in great coach , greatperson ,go middies track ;; they are really down :rolleyes: :Ohno: :rainbow:

xcotty dalton is the man ''; he should be in; great coach , greatperson ,go middies track ;; they are really down :rolleyes: :Ohno: :rainbow:

Why isn't Frank Russo in the Hall? Start naming for me coaches who have won at least two state titles in each sport in the big school division since Russo started coaching with the 1983-1984 school year. They must have won at least two track/field and at least two cross country.

I see Russo as the third coach to win as least two titles in both sports in you only consider boys and only consider the big school division. The first two did it when there were only two divisions and both did it in class A a long time ago.

George Corneal won 8 (5 tf, 3xc) at Lakewood in class A between 1922-1932.
Dave Brown won 6 (3 tf, 3 xc) at Toledo Scott in class A between 1934-1938.

Both of these guys are in the Hall. Both were put in the the class of 1969.

what about his twin ron russo >>>? 4state titles and 3 runners up in the girls state ?? cross country ;;; frank nows sees the end of the big red express .., but him in soon ,.,.

I double that for Lebanon's Steve Poitinger.. The man can always figure out a way to get points with "sometimes" minimal talent... Great coach, Great teacher....

frank russo a must to go in before the end of the big red express ..,.,:thumb:also , scotty dalton from middletown he been great ; but not in girls hoop ??