What Movies Did You Watch in November 2022?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#4537 A Field in England (UK-2013) ... 2.0/8

#4538 Nope (US-2022) ... 4.5/8

#4539 Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (US-2016) ... 3.0/8

#4540 Santa's Slay (Canada-2005) ... 4.5/8

Last edited:

Metropolis (1927) ... 5.5/8

Finally got around to seeing this. Not a fan of silent films unless it is a horror so this was my first non-horror silent film watch. Saw this on TCM so it is the 2 and a half hour version which is the longest in existence. The sets and choreography were amazing... utterly astonishing at times. 25,000 extras including 500 kids which the kids were all in the same scene together had to be a nightmare for Fritz Lang. I was thinking people had to be getting hurt while shooting this. While I get the gist of the film it was a bit confusing at times. At the end of the day I am glad to have seen it. Definitely ahead of its time......

Black Adam: 4.5/8

We waited 8 years for that? I'll admit, I'm pretty sure I fell asleep somewhere in the first half of the movie. 5-10 minutes. I'd heard that it wasn't that good, but was at least entertaining. I'm not sure the first half was even entertaining. I'd also heard great praise for Dwayne Johnson's performance but that the rest of the film was lacking. I actually found it to be the opposite, and I say that as a big Dwayne Johnson fan. I found the other characters far more interesting. The movie is carried by Pierce Brosnan and Aldis Hodge IMO.

It's saved by a good 3rd act, but at the same time the end of the movie made me wish I had been watching a Justice Society of America movie, not a Black Adam movie. Black Adam spends pretty much the entire movie in one tone walking around trying to find someone to kill. Hawkman, Dr. Fate, Atom Smasher and Cyclone were far more interesting characters and I wish the movie had focused more on their backstories. The movie also has a bad villain, which is a common denominator with bad super hero movies.

The Innocents (1961) - A well crafted suspense/horror film, which, while it includes ghosts and gruesome, untimely, deaths, it is more about sexual repression than the paranormal. Still good.

6/8

When We Were Kings (1996)
- One of the best documentaries I have ever seen. It is about the 1974 "Rumble in the Jungle" between Mohamad Ali and George Foreman. It reminded me of why I loved boxing as a kid and why I stopped as I got older.

7/8

Last edited:
Tortilla Flat (1942) - I like Steinbeck and I like Spencer Tracy so I was very motivated to see this film. Also, my family is proud of its peasant history, although much more industrious and hard working than the the peasant paisanos who populate this film. Hedy Lamarr looks great in this film and Tracy plays a lovable layabout who, despite his shortcomings, has a good heart. Frank (Wizard of Oz) Morgan does a great job portraying the character known as "the Pirate" a poor homeless man who is dedicated to the care of homeless dogs and devoted to St. Francis of Assisi. Morgan's performance won the Oscar for best supporting actor. The movie has some very funny moments and Tracy plays it for laughs.

5/8

Last edited:
Help! One of my favorite movies growing up was Viva Max! (1969) I have looked and waited many years to find an outlet by which I might see it again. No luck so far. Let me know if any of you find it streaming somewhere.

It is a great comedy about a Mexican army general looking for personal redemption and for his country to regain the dignity he believes it lost by losing to Texas in the Texas War for Independence, by retaking the Alamo. Peter Ustinov was great as the general as were several of my other favorite comic actors, including Ohio's own, Jonathan Winters.

Very similar in feel and in its comic sense to The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming! (1966).

I wonder why TCM and the streaming services have not picked up this little gem.

Help! One of my favorite movies growing up was Viva Max! (1969) I have looked and waited many years to find an outlet by which I might see it again. No luck so far. Let me know if any of you find it streaming somewhere.

It is a great comedy about a Mexican army general looking for personal redemption and for his country to regain the dignity he believes it lost by losing to Texas in the Texas War for Independence, by retaking the Alamo. Peter Ustinov was great as the general as were several of my other favorite comic actors, including Ohio's own, Jonathan Winters.

Very similar in feel and in its comic sense to The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming! (1966).

I wonder why TCM and the streaming services have not picked up this little gem.
I added this to Google Watchlist. I'm not sure how this works but, hope it will alert me regarding VM.

Looks like it may be available here. It was taking forever to load, possibly because I am not a member. Gave up on it.

Last edited:
Weird: The Al Yankovic Story: 4.5/8

The first thing to realize when watching this movie is that it's not actually a biopic. It's a parody. Fitting for someone who made his living off of parody songs. As an example, Weird Al turns down a spot to play with Queen at Live Aid. Also, in the movie "Eat It" comes out before "Beat It" and they reverse who copied who.

The movie very much reminded me of the movie "Hot Shots" with Charlie Sheen. Especially when Madonna shows up. At the same time, that's also when the movie goes a bit off the rails for me and leans too far into the parody side of things. Tons of cameos all over the place.

Daniel Radcliffe, I don't know how accurate his portrayal of Weird Al himself was, but he's great in the role in general.

Nope: 4.75/8

Not bad, but not one of Peele's best IMO. US and Get Out were better IMO. There's a tiny twist in this movie, but I don't know that it was that interesting.

The Maltese Falcon: 5/8

Firs time watching, slightly let down to be honest. Surely one of those films you'd feel differently about if you saw it for the first time 40 years ago. But for a movie that had mysterious murders, and a missing priceless artifact, it wasn't really a murder mystery, nor a heist or treasure hunt movie. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but as a big fan of those 3 genres I felt letdown that I didn't really get any of them.

Popstar: 4.25/8

Some of the songs were good, but about what I'd expect from Andy Sandberg. Not Lonely Island's best work.

I found a trailer for Viva Max (1969). One of the zany comedies with an all-star cast for which the 60's were known.

Last edited:
October Sky (1999) ... 6.0/8

<Donnie Darko playing with rockets!!!>

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966) ... 6.0/8

<full extended version>

The Purge: Election Year 4.75/8

My first, and only foray into The Purge franchise to date. I'm not a huge horror movie person and the Purge movies never appealed that much to me, but this one looked different. I was intrigued by the political aspect of someone trying to stand up to stop the Purge. I'm also just fans of Elizabeth Mitchell and Frank Grillo. It wasn't a great movie, but certainly something I ended up finding enjoyable.

Jackie Brown: 5/8

Not bad, but a step down from most of Tarantino's other movies, which seems to be the consensus. I've typically seen it viewed as his "worst" movie.

IMO what makes the movie work is the strong cast, not so much the plot.

Jackie Brown: 5/8

Not bad, but a step down from most of Tarantino's other movies, which seems to be the consensus. I've typically seen it viewed as his "worst" movie.

IMO what makes the movie work is the strong cast, not so much the plot.
I've always put Deathproof at the bottom, but Jackie Brown is close. Crazy part is I've always been a big fan of Elmore Leonard and Rum Punch is one of my favorites by him. When I heard Tarantino was making a movie based on the book I was stoked, but was obviously letdown a bit by the movie.

Luckiest Girl Alive (2022) 4.5/8 Mila Kunis plays a woman on the verge of living out her dreams in New York City with a big wedding on the horizon to the man of her dreams and big promotion to the New York Times editorial staff when a documentary about a school shooting at her high school forces her to face her past and make some realizations about her current life. Pretty good story based on a novel, but was a little slow in places. Overall worth a watch.

I've always put Deathproof at the bottom, but Jackie Brown is close. Crazy part is I've always been a big fan of Elmore Leonard and Rum Punch is one of my favorites by him. When I heard Tarantino was making a movie based on the book I was stoked, but was obviously letdown a bit by the movie.

ahh forgot about Deathproof. Maybe that's the bottom.

Most underrated: The Hateful Eight

A Field in England (UK-2013)

Psychological Horror: Not sure what this was about but I guess we are in the old days in England during the civil war where some deserters run into some strange guy in a field and throw in some magic mushrooms and who knows what happens..... I could not get into it and at times it was physically painful to watch due to the way it was being shot..... 2.0/8

Taken (2008) 7/8 Great action movie that helped relaunch the career of Liam Neeson. A little outrageous in parts, but it never gets old and never fails to entertain.

All Quite on the Western Front (2022) - A good film, different in many ways from the 1930 version I watched earlier this year. The whole armistice negotiation is new in this film. I did miss Paul's return to his town on leave, where he confronts the teacher that had urged him and his buddies to join the war effort from the 1930 version.

I believe the differences are due to the fact that in 1930, most people thought it was "the war to end all wars" whereas now we know better.

6/8

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - 6.75/8

A lot to unpack here. I had hoped to see a second time before posting, but that didn't work out.

While the trailers for the movie were definitely emotional, I found my self feeling unemotional coming out of the movie. It wasn't the movies fault, I'm not sure if it was just my mood the day of or whatnot (which is part of why I wanted to see it again).

Whereas the original Black Panther movie was very rooted in culture, I found this outing to feel much more like a Marvel movie. That comes with good and bad.

The acting all around was great, and you can feel the very real emotions they were feeling on set for losing one of their own. The absence of T'Challa is definitely felt, especially early in the film. As for the early parts of the film, the first hour or so of the movie definitely could have used a little trimming. Nothing major, but maybe 30 seconds here and there. Ironheart's entry into the plot and film felt very natural. As does Namor's, who's great in the film. I'll admit though, I found the underwater city of Talocan to be visually underwhelming, but I'm hearing this may have varied from theater to theater and that specifically in Imax it looks amazing.

Without getting into spoilers, there's really just a handful of small things here and there that kept it from feeling as good as the first or a truly excellent film. The movie is at it's best when it's focusing on the grief of the characters, in particular Shuri, who throughout the film is struggling with the notion of Science vs Faith. She is a scientist at her core, but she is a member of a family lineage steeped in faith and their belief of an afterlife, and she struggles with that in this movie. I think they would have leaned into this a little more. She also struggles with Mercy vs Vengeance.

Another thing the movie does well is handling the geopolitical aspect from the fallout of the first movie, as well as dealing with things that happen in this movie. I hope that they go deeper into that going forward in other projects, which seems like a given.

DC's League of Super Pets 5/8

Who'd have thunk this would be Dwayne Johnson's best super hero movie of the year?

Don't Worry Darling: 4.5/8

Not as bad as I've heard, but the third act does let the movie down. The movie is basically a good concept that didn't know how to stick the landing.

The Eiger Sanction (1975) ... 3.5/8

- nice scenery but the one liners wasn't landing......

The Comedian (2016) ... 4.0/8

The Hand That Rocks the Cradle (1992) 4.5/8 After an expecting mother accuses her doctor of sexual assault and he commits suicide, his widow works her way into the families home as the new nanny and stuff starts to go sideways. Rebecca DeMornay is solid as the crazy nanny and there are some solid parts. I remember liking this movie a little more in the 90's but still a solid wash.

Black Adam (2022) 5/8 Not bad, better than the reviews in my opinion. One of the better movies from the DCU IMO.