What Movies Did You Watch In November 2020?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#4226 Beyond the Black Rainbow (Canada-2010) ... 4.5/8

#4227 Under the Skin (UK-2013) ... 5.0/8

<edit, -1 for duplicate title>

#4227 Kamisama No Iu Tori (Japan-2014) ... aka "As The Gods Will" ... 2.5/8

#4228 The Boy 2: Brahms (Canada-2020) ... 5.5/8

#4229 Lake Placid 6: Legacy (South Africa-2018) ... 2.5/8

xxxx Rosemary's Baby (US-1968) ... 6.0/8

#4230 Tales From the Hood 3 (US-2020) ... 3.0/8

Last edited:

Beyond the Black Rainbow (Canada-2010)

Horror: SciFi Surreal that takes it to the limits..... Arboria commune where a girl is being held sedated is host for one of the strangest movies I have ever seen. Some Barry dude is fascinated with her as well as DMT experiences as he seeks to awaken an Utopian state of mind.... well, things do not go as planned and the ending is much worth the wait..... 4.5/8

Under the Skin (UK-2013)

Horror: A woman seduces lonely men to dispose of them..... no spoilers here but this one was another strange watch.... 5.0/8

Blue Chips (1994) 5.5/8 Nick Nolte plays an aging college basketball coach, who was once highly successful but has fallen on some down years. He turns to the "friends of the program" for recruiting help and finds himself in a moral dilemma after running a clean program during his career. I always thought this was an underrated sports movie. There is some bad acting with the many sports personalities that play large roles, but Nolte and others are good and I like the story. Never felt like this got enough credit.

Blue Chips (1994) 5.5/8 Nick Nolte plays an aging college basketball coach, who was once highly successful but has fallen on some down years. He turns to the "friends of the program" for recruiting help and finds himself in a moral dilemma after running a clean program during his career. I always thought this was an underrated sports movie. There is some bad acting with the many sports personalities that play large roles, but Nolte and others are good and I like the story. Never felt like this got enough credit.
I love that movie. The opening locker room scene when Nolte is going off on the team is classic.

Flash Gordon (1980): 4/8

What let me down the most was the CGI/set design. I know the original inspired so much that came after it, and I saw elements of Star Wars, Princess Bride and even Wizard of Oz in the story. I just wish they had put as much effort in creating the environments as some of those movies did. This came out after Star Wars and right before Empire Strikes back. It pales in comparison in set design and CGI though. I’m actually not sure if there’s any CGI. It may have been all practical effects.

Superbad (2007) 6/8 Coming of age, buddy comedy with Michael Cera and Jonah Hill. The two play graduating seniors trying to land some girls and finish the year at a big grad party. Raunchy, but really funny and overall a really good cast including Seth Rogen and Emma Stone.

Lolita (1962) 6/8

"Lolita" was on TCM the other night, so I tuned in. The storyline remains controversial, but the actual movie was fairly tame by today's standards. Some really strong performances by James Mason, Sue Lyon (age 14 at the time), Shelley Winters (not my favorite actress) and Peter Sellers (I didn't even realize he was in this movie).

Kamisama No Iu Tori (Japan-2014)

Horror: This one was requested for me to watch..... when I found out it was directed by Takashi Miiki I was all in..... here, we find high school students forced to play children games to the death. No reason behind it what so ever it just is what it is..... Found two versions of this film.... one had a near 2 hour run time and the other was under 90 minutes.... I watched the 2 hour one..... This one was out in left field and it did not take long for me to be annoyed by it. I'm sure if you are familiar with the Japanese Culture one could understand the meaning but I was lost...... 2.5/8

Brahms, The Boy 2 (2020)

Horror: Finally, a simple horror film..... A young boy finds a doll and at first everything is great, that is until the doll has rules that the family must follow..... I can never get enough of creepy doll films and this one delivers despite the bad reviews..... 5.5/8

Lake Placid 6: Legacy (South Africa-2018)

Horror: Environmentalist looking to expose a company finds themselves trapped on an island with a 50 foot croc..... well, they had to ruin it with the stereotypical DNA splicing crap.... why? Lets just have a giant croc and go with it..... I am not one for conspiracies so this one goes down hill quickly for me..... 2.5/8

Just saw "Let Him Go" starring Kevin Costner and Diane Lane (a personal favorite of mine since I saw "Unfaithful"). Basically it's a battle bewteen two grandmothers over who gets the gandson. Lot of violence. Didn't fall asleep during it, nor did my *ss. 6/8

Lake Placid 6: Legacy (South Africa-2018)

Horror: Environmentalist looking to expose a company finds themselves trapped on an island with a 50 foot croc..... well, they had to ruin it with the stereotypical DNA splicing crap.... why? Lets just have a giant croc and go with it..... I am not one for conspiracies so this one goes down hill quickly for me..... 2.5/8

There’s six???

Let Him Go (2020) 5/8 Kevin Costner and Diane Lane play grandparents in the 60's dealing with the loss of their son and trying to rescue their grandson and daughter in law who is now in an abusive marriage. Thought it was pretty slow, but a good story and really good in the last 20 minutes.

Hogan's Heroes. 8/8

I did not following rules as this is not a movie. I happened upon a series of Hogan's Heroes and I Bing Watched for more time than I will admit.

The most tasteless show ever presented on TV. A comedy about the joys of being a POW at a time when American POWs were being held and tortured in Vietnam.

The most tasteless show ever presented on TV. A comedy about the joys of being a POW at a time when American POWs were being held and tortured in Vietnam.

Take comfort. I don't think anyone was fooled that either POW or Vietnam was fun. It was a time when I imagine a lot of people were grateful for the stress relief.

[QUOTE="arizonawildcat, post: 7844718, memb

It seems something scarred you along the way. For that, you have my sympathy.

The series was intended to poke fun at the Nazi's, nothing more.

Flower Drum Song (1961) - Chinese immigrants in San Francisco try to adapt to the US. A musical with an ok song book. Chinese/European bi-racial Linda Low contributed her great legs and a great face. 20 minutes too long.

5/8

Last edited:
Galveston (2018) 5.75/8. I think the book did a better job of framing some key plot points the movie glosses over, but the acting from Ben Foster was excellent. It’s a gut punch of a movie, but also has a little bit of redemption so you don’t feel completely depressed. I’d say it’s almost like a White Trash Les Miserables.

Secretariat (2010) - 5.5/8. Typical feel good Disney movie. You know the outcome so you know there will be the predictable against the odds moments and overcoming adversity to win it all (see Miracle, Invincible, Glory Road, etc...).

The actual story of Secretariat is pretty incredible. Learning how they breed the horses and how "Big Red" came to be. All around special animal. I had a lot of questions I wanted to ask Arrogate. ;)

Holidate (Netflix) - 5 stars

Wasn't sure what to expect with this movie which is released on Netflix. Was thinking it was going to be a dumb movie that I'd end up shutting off 15 minutes in, but it held my attention and managed to not be too annoying. It's worth a look if you like 'date' movies. I got sick of the F bomb being dropped throughout the movie; I'm no prude but after awhile it gets tiresome (did they really need the Asian chick to scream "F***!" just to prove she knew how to swear?) Anyhow despite this annoyance the movie, overall, wasn't bad.

Greater - 5 stars

The story of Brandon Burlsworth, the football O-lineman who against all odds walked on at the University of Arkansas to earn a scholarship and end up getting drafted by the NFL's Indianapolis Colts, only to die in a tragic car accident before training camp his rookie year.

If you like football movies like "The Blind Side", you'll probably like this one too. I went in thinking I'd love this movie and really wanted to have it be one of my all-time favorites, but I found it to kind of be "B" movie material and despite a decent casting job, like some of the reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes have said, I found the religious backbeat of the movie's theme a little overwhelming at times. I felt they probably also took a lot of liberties with the plot that hurt the believability of what should have been a prime vehicle to tell Brandon's true life story. The whole "Rocky" 'underdog-made-good' theme led to a lot of the appeal of the movie for me but it fell short IMO overall. A lot of questions were left unanswered as to how Burlsworth managed to do what he did...but I'II suppose that just helps complete the shroud of mystery over his death. Overall I was kind of disappointed in how the movie played out, didn't like the jumping around of the time sequences the writers employed, and thus can't give it more than a 5.

Last edited:
Rosemary's Baby (1968) ... 6.0/8

3rd time seeing this one and each time I like it better and better.....