What Movies Did You Watch in March 2023?

There's a Girls Trip/Birdesmaids-esc comedy coming this summer that has a bunch of buzz from SXSW

And another raunchy comedy that's supposed to be Jennifer Lawrence's commercial comeback

New Jack City (1991) 7/8 One of the original hip/hop gangster movies. Solid cast with a young Wesley Snipes, Ice T, Judd Nelson, Chris Rock, and Mario Van Peeples (who also directed). Snipes plays Nino Brown a cocaine dealer that ushers crack into New York City during the 80's. Great story, solid directing and if not for some really bad acting by some lesser characters would probably be an 8/8 for me.

Jesus Revolution: I'm not going to rate the move, but I enjoyed it and think most believers would. I wasn't familiar with the story at all before seeing it, but I've been reading up afterwards and it seems the movie was pretty factual to true events.

THE LIE (2018)

Thriller

Mom and Dad team up to cover for their 15 year old daughter who murdered her best friend. They try to lay it off on the best friends Dad, and when that doesn't work out so well they kill him too.

Comes with a twist.

Amazon Prime

Saint Maud (UK-2019)

Horror: A hospice nurse who recently has become very religious experiences issues when taking care of a sickly woman that she admires. I thought I would like this one better than I did. Not much of a horror..... 4.0/8

The Lost King - I have been waiting for almost a year to see this one and I was not disappointed. One of my undergrad degrees is in history with an emphasis on British history. I followed the almost miraculous discovery and exhumation of Richard III's body underneath a parking lot back in 2012. This film is a true and somewhat lighthearted telling of that story, focused on the amateur historian and archeologist who managed to do what so many academics and professionals were unable to do for more than 500 years. I enjoyed the bit of whimsey where the King himself appears to the main character as an apparition. Was Shakespeare an Elizabethan propagandist? Maybe.

6/8

Last edited:
Knock At the Cabin: 5.5/8

New M. Night Shyamalan. Can't really say too much without giving something away. I enjoyed it overall. Probably the middle of the pack of his movies.

Please Stand By: 6/8

I really ended up enjoying this. It follows a decently high functioning Autistic girl who is living in a Care home after her mom dies, with her sister living out of state with a newborn. She sneaks out one day to personally deliver her Star Trek script that she wrote for a fan fiction competition and embarks on a solo trip to Los Angeles in a world she's largely been isolated from.

Missing 5.5/8

The in-universe sequel to the movie "Searching" though they aren't really related other than taking place in the same space. A high school senior's mom goes on a trip to Colombia with her boyfriend and they never come back on the return flight. Like Searching, the entire movie is shot through personal media like cell phones, webcams, home camcorders, or a hidden camera.

Black Swan: 5.25/8

Finally got around to watching this. Never knew how trippy it was. Also never knew there was a Mila Kunis/Natalie Portman sex scene.

The Godfather (1972) 8/8 What's not to like about it?

A Few Good Men (1992) 7/8 I've always been a big fan of courtroom dramas and this is one of my favorites. Star studded cast, even the bit players are recognizable faces. Some of Nicholson's best work in my opinion.

THE LAST EMPEROR (1987)

My first time seeing this one, caught it on TCM a few nights ago. Historical drama about PUYI (1906-1967) who became China's emperor at age 2. The screenplay was based upon PUYI's autobiography.

The film went 9 for 9 at the Academy Awards, including the Best Picture win.

TCM Court Night?

To Kill A Mockingbird (1962) I enjoyed the antics of the Katzenjammers as much as the main plot. Solid 7/8.

Witness for the Prosecution (1957) Old man witicisms abound until ---. Reminded me of a ballpark pretzel. Wishing I had one - or two. 7/8

12 Angry Men (1957) Actually, 11 or less. Yet, who wouldn't show a bit of angst locked up (yes) in a hot-as-hell jury room? Ball game rained out. 8/8

Also, on overnight: Anatomy of A Murder and Inheret the Wind. Maybe, next time.

NB: I, too, saw A Few Good Men again. Yes, 7/8. Demi Moore.

Dave Made a Maze (2017)

Fantasy Horror: Dave makes a cardboard maze in his living room and gets lost in it and it is up to his buddies to rescue him. This one was different and for the most part likable. A bit silly at times as the dark comedy sits in but an interesting premise and delivery..... Most of the movie is shot inside cardboard.... 5.0/8

The Glenn Miller Story (1954) - Jimmy Stewart was born to play Glenn Miller. He looked like Miller in many ways and they both had service in the US Army Air Corp during WWII in common. Great music and a great performance from Stewart.

6/8

Saw John Wick 4 last night. If you enjoy comedic violence, this one is for you. Opening fight proves the saying that you should never bring a knife (or sword) to a gun fight.

Creed 2 6/10.

Movie was ok, plot was ok and the Creed movies thus far haven't done it for me. Not nearly like the Rocky movies did. Decided to only watch before I checked out Creed 3.

Space Cowboys (2000) Have I seen this plot before? I'll throw the old dogs a bone. 6.0/8.0

Sully (2016) Clint is not in this one, but he directed. Good "news to me" backstory. 6.5/8.0

The Fugitive (1993) Always worth a re-watch. If you liked the tv series, chances are you liked this'n. 🥨 Brought to mind Dr. Sam Shepard. 7.0/8.0

The Shining (1980) Well, I finally watched this. Perhaps because I've seen snippets before, I was somewhat disappointed - yet somewhat relieved. 7.5/8.0*

* Commercials took this to 3.5 hours, which didn't help.

Space Cowboys (2000) Have I seen this plot before? I'll throw the old dogs a bone. 6.0/8.0

Sully (2016) Clint is not in this one, but he directed. Good "news to me" backstory. 6.5/8.0

The Fugitive (1993) Always worth a re-watch. If you liked the tv series, chances are you liked this'n. 🥨 Brought to mind Dr. Sam Shepard. 7.0/8.0

The Shining (1980) Well, I finally watched this. Perhaps because I've seen snippets before, I was somewhat disappointed - yet somewhat relieved. 7.5/8.0*

* Commercials took this to 3.5 hours, which didn't help.
I had not seen The Fugitive in years but it has been running pretty regularly on AMC and I caught it last weekend and yes, it is a great movie.

The Big Green (dont care to look up the year) 90s kids soccer movie. Just about every lame kids sports movie cliche is here.

2.5/8