What Movies Did You Watch in February 2023?

My Bloody Valentine (Canada-1981) ... [Cut version) 4.0/8 [2009 uncut release .... 5.0/8]

Horror... Rewatch... Shame on HBO-Max for showing the cut version of this film. SHOW ME THE GORE!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
The Fabelmans - A Spielberg bio flick. The film was very long. I could have done without some of the family melodramatics, however, it is clear how that impacted some of his future films. I especially liked the depiction of his earliest moviemaking efforts as a Boy Scout and with the kids in his neighborhood. My favorite part though, was the surprise ending. Although the film had some flaws, the ending was as near to perfect as one can get. Judd Hirsch and Seth Rogen almost steal the show.

6/8

Queen of Outer Space (1958) -
A 1950's SyFi(?) movie staring Zsa Zsa Gabor and Eric Fleming (who does a much better acting job as trail boss Gill Favor in TV's Rawhide). Unusual for the genre, this is filmed in vivid color. Too silly to have been taken seriously., I was left hoping that it had been intended as a parody. If you watch the trailer, below, notice that the rocket that takes off bares no resemblance to the space craft in later shots.

1/8 As a SyFi movie
4/8 As 1950's SyFi parody

Last edited:
Your Place or Mine (2023) 2/8 New Netflix rom-com released for Valentine's Day. Starring Reese Witherspoon and Ashton Kutcher as long-time best friends, that might be something more. Not much to see here. My wife is on the verge of losing the privilege of picking movies. She's on a bad run lol.

Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) (silent) - Amazing film. I could write for hours about it. Based on the actual transcript of the trial of Joan of Arc, there is no martial glory, just Joan and her inquisitors. Maria Falconetti was incredible in her last of only two film performances. The direction and art design are flawless.

8/8

Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) (silent) - Amazing film. I could write for hours about it. Based on the actual transcript of the trial of Joan of Arc, there is no martial glory, just Joan and her inquisitors. Maria Falconetti was incredible in her last of only two film performances. The direction and art design are flawless.

8/8
Curious where you find these old flics.

I check out TCM's schedule at the start of each month and DVR the films that look good. Some of them I am already familiar with from just knowing about film. One I still need to watch is Napoleon (1927).

I started watching old films when I was in high school. There was an afternoon movie show on local TV that ran a lot of classics from the 30's and 40's. Our local PBS station ran silent films from the teens and 20's late on Saturday nights as well. I remember showing my two sons Wings (1927) when they were in junior high so they would have some knowledge of silent films. My oldest went on to study film at CCM and the younger one went on to study creative writing at OU and has seen every best picture winner since 1928.

As a family, we have always loved films.

Last edited:
Your rabbit hole sir:
Joan of Arc

Old Film Collections

Googling name of film site:archive.org or name of film site:youtube.com can be more direct. If you're not objecting to other sites: use firefox with an ad blocker. Go to browser options, privacy and security and select that pop up blocker and all the block deceptive.... and you'll be fine.

Napoleon has been beautifully restored by BFI but it's a longassed movie. BFI is British so it won't let you access it directly. Their website says roku and other similar like apple so maybe you can get at it that way. Have the snacks ready.

Last edited:
Batman (1989) Keaton is the perfect Batman and Bruce Wayne. Kim Basinger = babe. Cool set pieces. Grounded dialogue and acting when there needs to be. Can't beat a movie music duo of Prince and Danny Elfman (stay for the end credits and listen to the most underrated Prince song of all time)

7/8

I will catch hell, but I'm not sold on Nicholson as the Joker. I just see Nicholsonisms and I'm always aware of the actor and not a unique character. Danny Devito's Penguin in the sequel, now that's a unique character.

Batman (1989) Keaton is the perfect Batman and Bruce Wayne. Kim Basinger = babe. Cool set pieces. Grounded dialogue and acting when there needs to be. Can't beat a movie music duo of Prince and Danny Elfman (stay for the end credits and listen to the most underrated Prince song of all time)

7/8

I will catch hell, but I'm not sold on Nicholson as the Joker. I just see Nicholsonisms and I'm always aware of the actor and not a unique character. Danny Devito's Penguin in the sequel, now that's a unique character.
well... finally we agree on something... Kim Basinger is a BABE..... putting a blindfold on her and feeding her food... DANG!!!

Cabaret (1972)

Liza Minnelli, Michael York, Joel Grey, Marissa Berenson. Directed by Bob Fosse.

A dramatic musical centered around the lives of the performers and customers of a Cabaret in Berlin. Set in 1931, this one is a fascinating look at the day to day struggles for many in the Weimer Republic. Subject matter includes Poverty, Sexuality, Politics, Abortion, Anti Semitism, Corruption, Love and more..................... all set against the backdrop of the rise of the Nazis.

Minnelli and Grey were excellent! BTW, Joel Grey is Jennifer Grey's (Dirty Dancing) father.

The film won 8 of the 10 Academy Awards that it was nominated for in 1973. *The Godfather won Best Picture.

***Weird Trivia here..........................Joel Grey won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, other nominees included Al Pacino, James Caan, and Robert Duvall, all of The Godfather.

Last edited:

7/8

I think I’m one of the few who liked Batman Returns over Batman 89. Returns is just amazing.

Batman Returns is so much fun man.
Masterpiece. It is the way Batman is supposed to be. Christian Bale movies were severely overrated because he wasn’t a big time detective or innovator and relied on other people to build his gadgets and vehicles. Keaton did everything himself, he just wasn’t the best Bruce Wayne. Bale did the best as Bruce Wayne.

I check out TCM's schedule at the start of each month and DVR the films that look good. Some of them I am already familiar with from just knowing about film. One I still need to watch is Napoleon (1927).

I started watching old films when I was in high school. There was an afternoon movie show on local TV that ran a lot of classics from the 30's and 40's. Our local PBS station ran silent films from the teens and 20's late on Saturday nights as well. I remember showing my two sons Wings (1927) when they were in junior high so they would have some knowledge of silent films. My oldest went on to study film at CCM and the younger one went on to study creative writing at OU and has seen every best picture winner since 1928.

As a family, we have always loved films.
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you had a bit of an influence on your sons. Sounds like a great way to stay connected for your family!

Creed (2015) 6/8 Great reboot to the Rocky franchise. Gearing up for Creed III coming in a couple of weeks.

Knock at the Cabin (2023) 7/8 A couple and their daughter visit a secluded cabin for vacation, when four strangers show up and offer them the choice to save the world or let it end. I'm a big fan Shyamalan, so maybe I'm biased, but I thought this was great. Dave Bautista might be doing the wrestler turned actor better than anyone. He is excellent as Leonard, the leader of the group of strangers.

Lean On Me (1989) 8/8 I think this is a classic and one of Morgan Freeman's best roles/performances. Freeman plays Joe Clark the new principal at a crumbling inner city high school in Patterson, NJ facing a state takeover. Clark, through his own unorthodox style of leadership, comes in and rebuilds the schools physically and academically.

Your Place or Mine (2023) 2/8 New Netflix rom-com released for Valentine's Day. Starring Reese Witherspoon and Ashton Kutcher as long-time best friends, that might be something more. Not much to see here. My wife is on the verge of losing the privilege of picking movies. She's on a bad run lol.
Lol. Same exact scenario at my household. I think we knew it would be rough, but it was worse than I thought. I had to keep finding excuses to get up and leave the room. :ROFLMAO:

Masterpiece. It is the way Batman is supposed to be. Christian Bale movies were severely overrated because he wasn’t a big time detective or innovator and relied on other people to build his gadgets and vehicles. Keaton did everything himself, he just wasn’t the best Bruce Wayne. Bale did the best as Bruce Wayne.
I prefer the brooding stoic Bruce Wayne that Keaton brings. Enhances the Batman alter ego, IMO.

Tess (1979) - Nastassja Kinski is luminous in the title role. This film deals with social class and Victorian values in the UK of the 1880s. Nominated for Best Picture that year.

7/8

Creed II (2018) 6/8 Rocky IV is one of my favorites of the franchise (I know this isn't always a popular opinion), so bringing Drago back with his son was a hit for me. A little drawn on out in the middle but other than that, I like this one a lot.

Creed II (2018) 6/8 Rocky IV is one of my favorites of the franchise (I know this isn't always a popular opinion), so bringing Drago back with his son was a hit for me. A little drawn on out in the middle but other than that, I like this one a lot.

My favorite two in the franchise both happen to be vs the Russians.

Marlowe,2/8. The 2 is for the sets and costuming. It was incredibly slow, it seemed to be dragging on for three hours when it was only an hour and 40 minute movie. I usually enjoy Liam Neeson, but he was really low energy in this one.

Escape the Field (2022)

Horror: this is one of those movies where strangers awake in a strange place and learn they are being hunted by something. This time they are in a corn field. This one looked to have potential but then went in another direction.... 3.5/8