What Movies Did You Watch in February 2021?

vamp2syd

As a horror movie junkie, I come across a lot of off beat Horror movies as well as the run in the mill straight to video. I will share my thoughts of the ones that I see this month. So, if you seen a movie new or old and want to share your thoughts go ahead, and if its horror, even better!!!!

I will edit in my horror views here with my rating scale on how I liked it.....

8 = Donnie Darko
7 = Excellent !!!!!
6 = Great
5 = pretty Good
4 = OK/Good
3 = not good
2 = Bad
1 = Unwatchable

==========================================

#4264 Arbor Demon (US-2016) ... 4.0/8

#4265 Apartment 212 (US-2017) ... 4.5/8

#4266 Schizoid (US-1980) ... 5.5/8

#4267 Plague (Australia-2015) ... 2.0/8

#4268 Body Cam (US-2020) ... 5.5/8

#4269 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Canada-2008) ... 3.0/8

#4270 Bloodline (US-2018) ... 4.0/8

Last edited:

The Little Things - 4/8

Omar was spot on. Just some oddness to this movie. Denzel and Leto do a great job per usual. Malek was a terrible. I kept thinking Freddie Mercury was a cop. Just a bad casting decision. The movie also was very dark at times to the point of unrealistically in certain scenes. As Omar said last month, not bad, but disappointing considering the star power of Denzel and Leto alone.

The Little Things - 4/8

Omar was spot on. Just some oddness to this movie. Denzel and Leto do a great job per usual. Malek was a terrible. I kept thinking Freddie Mercury was a cop. Just a bad casting decision. The movie also was very dark at times to the point of unrealistically in certain scenes. As Omar said last month, not bad, but disappointing considering the star power of Denzel and Leto alone.
Speaking off.

Bohemian Rhapsody was on last night. Very good flick. I have not seen another movie with that guy who played Faruq in it, but I would have to believe he is type cast in my book. No way I could see him in another role, maybe if they do a movie on the Life and Times of Omar but other than that...nah

Fisherman's Friends (2019)- a record executive discovers a bunch of fisherman in a coastal village in England that gather regularly to sing their old songs of the sea and promotes them to the point of a top 10 hit. Based on a true story. It's not great but there are worse movies you could waste a couple of hours on. 5/8.

Critical Condition (1987)- Richard Pryor arrested for being a con man, tries to beat the charge by reason of insanity, and some "hilarity" ensues during his time in the psych ward. This movie is beyond awful, and it's actually the 2nd time I've watched. It was the movie the wife and I watched on our first date 34 years ago! The move was horrific, the movie theater has been torn down, so has the Pizza Hut we ate at before the move, but we're still going strong :) 0/8.

Critical Condition (1987)- Richard Pryor arrested for being a con man, tries to beat the charge by reason of insanity, and some "hilarity" ensues during his time in the psych ward. This movie is beyond awful, and it's actually the 2nd time I've watched. It was the movie the wife and I watched on our first date 34 years ago! The move was horrific, the movie theater has been torn down, so has the Pizza Hut we ate at before the move, but we're still going strong :) 0/8.
34 years! Congrats. Beats my best effort by 32.

The Little Things (2021) ... 4.0/8

First off, Malek was awful for this role and I cringed at all his scenes. Terrible decision as this could of been a better movie with someone else playing the role. Secondly the only thing that saved this movie for me was the ending..... and not that it was over but it was a bit different and leaves one guessing.... Third.... the Nova.... the best actor of the film and was an enjoy to watch throughout.

The Thief of Bagdad (1940) - What a great film. Watching it, I could not help seeing where Disney honored (or ripped off) the film in making Aladdin (1992). It is much better than the Disney version, as far as I am concerned. Great special affects for a film of this vintage.

6/8

The Little Things (2021) ... 4.0/8

First off, Malek was awful for this role and I cringed at all his scenes. Terrible decision as this could of been a better movie with someone else playing the role. Secondly the only thing that saved this movie for me was the ending..... and not that it was over but it was a bit different and leaves one guessing.... Third.... the Nova.... the best actor of the film and was an enjoy to watch throughout.
Ok I thought it was only me. The casting director should never work again. Who thought Malek would play a good cop? He is such a bad actor that he could not even ACT like a cop. Weird looks, weird pauses, weird voice. That role alone being cast right would have saved the movie. Unsure if I've ever seen an actor so unfit for a role? Leto plays a great psycho and after watching News of the World the other night I realize how good actors like Denzel and Hanks really are. They play themselves in every role but manage to pull it off.

Speaking of vintage.

Wings 1927 5/8 watched the restored version, some of which seemed too much. Its rep on the battle scenes, air and ground I thought well earned. Held my attention better than I thought. Looked everywhere for some English subtitles but couldn't find.

Speaking off.

Bohemian Rhapsody was on last night. Very good flick. I have not seen another movie with that guy who played Faruq in it, but I would have to believe he is type cast in my book. No way I could see him in another role, maybe if they do a movie on the Life and Times of Omar but other than that...nah

He was in the night at the museum movies, he’s also playing the villain in the next James Bond movie.

Ever heard of the show Mr Robot?

Arbor Demon (2016)

Horror: It is anniversary time and Dana and her hubby are going to go rough it deep in the woods.... No... that is what she wanted to do..... Being disturbed by the locals they head out deep into the woods where their alone time is interrupted by Jack Busey and his pals but worst yet there is some sort of something wiping out the gang. This is a low budget film that is not to bad but could of been a bit better.... 4.0/8

Speaking off.

He was in the Pacific.

Speaking of vintage.

Wings 1927 5/8 watched the restored version, some of which seemed too much. Its rep on the battle scenes, air and ground I thought well earned. Held my attention better than I thought. Looked everywhere for some English subtitles but couldn't find.
It is great that you are open to watching silent films. There are many truly great films made in that era. I showed Wings to my two sons when they were 10 and 7 and they enjoyed the heck out of it. One even named his pinewood derby car "shooting star" and painted the symbol of one on the side. All of my kids are still cinephiles.

Apartment 212 (2017)

Horror: A woman inadvertently releases an entity that feeds on her while she sleeps. Not a bad low budget film....4.5/8

Schizoid (1980)

Horror: An advice columnist receives a threatening letter as others in her help group are being murdered. Giallo. well, maybe.... this one was actually pretty good.... 5.5/8

Plague (Australia-2015)

Horror: A group must decide "should we stay or should we go now" during a zombie event. This was nothing but drama talky talk crap as there is only about 1 minute of any zombie action... Huge dud from the land down under.... 2.0/8

Body Cam (2020)

Horror: A female cop discovers an unbelievable force that is responsible for the bizarre murders in town. You know.... I had to turn off my political mind and just enjoy the horror element of this film which was pretty decent.... 5.5/8

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (2008)

Horror: When Dr. Jekyll learns what Mr. Hyde has done and he can no longer control the change he contacts an attorney and confesses his crime. A different take of the classic story ... 3.0/8

Bloodline (Canada-2018)

Horror: A new dad has to deal with life at home as well as counseling troubled teens at his job... meanwhile it is starting to impact his hobby.... serial killing. 4.0/8

Promising Young Woman - A artsy, funny, dark and weird film. I loved it. Great story line, well acted and very well directed.

6/8

For the second time, The Blackboard Jungle (1955) - I would have been the math teacher (not shown in this scene), not daddio.
If you haven't seen it already seen the bookend/remake movie To Sir With Love (1967) you should. Just as good as the original. with Sidney Poitier playing the teacher, rather than one of the kids.

If you haven't seen it already seen the bookend/remake movie To Sir With Love (1967) you should. Just as good as the original. with Sidney Poitier playing the teacher, rather than one of the kids.

Remember the song. Didn't realize (or don't remember) there was a movie that went with the song. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Kids!

Âya to majo (Earwig and the Witch) ... 2.5/8

Not my cup of tea but I have HBO-MAX by default so why not use it if you have it. This one just ended abruptly almost like they reached the budget and just ended it. Really did not care as it got annoying. Very disappointing with it since it came out of Japan.....

The War with Grandpa (2020) 3/8 A lot of big names in this one DeNiro, Cheech, Christopher Walken, Uma Thurman, Jane Seymour, Rob Riggle, but the story wasn't great. DeNiro plays a young boy's grandfather who moves into the family's home and "steals" the boy's bedroom. The boy declares war against grandpa and a series of pranks leads to a final "tragedy" at a younger sister's birthday party. A few laughs, but otherwise just so so.

The Empty Man (2020) 0.5/8 I would like to try to explain the plot in this one, but I'm not sure I can. What I will say, is it is suppose to be a horror movie, but it wasn't that scary. It was too long and trying way too hard to be way too mind-twisting. Still don't really know what happened at the end or why. One of the worst movies I've seen in a long time.

Dazed and Confused (1993) 8/8 One of my all-time favorite movies. Classic supporting roles by McConaughey and Affleck. Great movie and great soundtrack.