What Movies Did You Watch in December 2022?

Confess, Fletch: 5.25/8

I really don’t understand why Jon Hamm isn’t a bigger star in bigger stuff. He could easily have a career arc like Clooney or a Hugh Grant.

Violent Night: 5/8

Part "Olympus Has Fallen", part "Home Alone", with Santa as the hero. If he weren't retired, you may have even been able to convince me that John Williams reprised his Home Alone score.

The plot isn't overly complicated, but is still a good time.

Alice in Wonderland (1951)

Wow, not as good as I remember. All the wordplay and weird ideas are clever, "Golden Afternoon" is a pleasant song, and the queen of hearts is a funny character. But everything else drags and drags and drags. Whatever the joke is in a scene is beaten to death so much so that I constantly wanted the movie to just get on with it. Kind of a deus ex machina ending.

3.5/8

Strange World: 4.5/8

Nothing bad with it really, it's just missing that innate thing that makes great Disney movies great. There's a good twist about 60% into the movie, but they don't lean into it enough IMO. I suppose that could be both good and bad, as it easily could have gotten political if not done right. Instead, they just present the twist and move forward with it without much discussion about it.

Deathcember (Germany-2019)

Horror Anthology: 24 short stories told through an Advent Calendar. The first 11 are pretty bad with maybe 1 exception but then it starts to get better. The short stories are mostly based on Christmas and some get pretty bizarre. There are two bonus stories with one showing up in the middle of the credits and the last at the end of the credits. These are two of the better ones and are worth the wait. Overall though not very good.... I would recommend starting with story 12 and on..... 2.5/8

Glass Onion, A Knives Out Story: 7/8

Not sure if it’s as good as the first or not, but it’s at least on par. Another very satisfying entry into the franchise. Bring on #3.
My wife had us watch this in advance of The Golden Globes…murder mysteries have never been my thing, so there’s that, but I thought this was weak. I never developed any interest in these characters…fell asleep a few times…and it wasn’t late. Good looking set and people…but, up for awards? Really?

My wife had us watch this in advance of The Golden Globes…murder mysteries have never been my thing, so there’s that, but I thought this was weak. I never developed any interest in these characters…fell asleep a few times…and it wasn’t late. Good looking set and people…but, up for awards? Really?

subjectivity surely plays a part. I’m sure murder mystery fans view murder mysteries different than non fans just like fans of mob movies view mob movies differently than non-mob movie fans.

I got about a half hour in and turned it off.