What is your fondest memory of Elder?

PantherVOR said:
My fondest memory is of walking to Elder football games from Delhi. We would all meet at a friends house and walk over as a big group. It's a shame kids don't do this anymore, we had as much fun walking to the game as we had at the game itself.
I wouldn't want my kid walking from Delhi to Elder. Not these days, but I can see how it can be remembered fondly back in your day.

eastside_purple said:
I wouldn't want my kid walking from Delhi to Elder. Not these days, but I can see how it can be remembered fondly back in your day.

Oh really. The walk from Delhi to Elder really isn't that much more dangerous than it was back in my day. Especially if you are walking with a group of 15 or 20 like we did. You really don't pass through the "bad" section of Price Hill on that walk. I have encouraged my kids to do it but their friends won't do it. Kids today need to be driven everywhere.

Well, you probably know the area better now days than I, but from what I've seen in recent years...I wouldn't want my son walking from Delhi to Elder. Maybe I am overreacting.

eastside_purple said:
Well, you probably know the area better now days than I, but from what I've seen in recent years...I wouldn't want my son walking from Delhi to Elder. Maybe I am overreacting.

I wouldn't want my kid doing it either. I make the drive every weekday, and the drive is certainly enough for me.

Elderguy said:
I wouldn't want my kid doing it either. I make the drive every weekday, and the drive is certainly enough for me.

And what exactly is so bad about that trip, walking or driving? Please give me some specifics. I make that drive all the time and have no issues unless you are talking about the high level of traffic. If that is what you are talking about I would hope by the time you are a freshman or sophomore you would know how to walk safely without getting hit by a car.

PantherVOR said:
And what exactly is so bad about that trip, walking or driving? Please give me some specifics. I make that drive all the time and have no issues unless you are talking about the high level of traffic. If that is what you are talking about I would hope by the time you are a freshman or sophomore you would know how to walk safely without getting hit by a car.

I could make the walk without getting hit...I'm glad I make the drive, at least I'm safe then. My big gripe is mostly the residents. Like the rime I almost ran out of gas, so I had to stop and get gas at the station (...on warsaw I think, near the uphosltry store, perhaps citgo...). I hadn't even put $5 into my tank without a guy walking up and offering me marijuana. While holding a paper bag in one hand, and his pit bull attached to a rope (...Not a leash, a rope) in the other.

Not to mention the countless "scrapers". I seem to recall one of them biting a teacher a couple years ago. I know for a fact, that one kid approached a football player with a steak knife (In front of many other football players). The local kids throwing ice last year at a Polar Panther (Or whatever the winter CC group is named)...Hit him too.

I'd rather keep my kid out of danger at all costs, rather than put him smack into it. If other parents would like to let their kid walk, that is their choice.

Elderguy said:
I could make the walk without getting hit...I'm glad I make the drive, at least I'm safe then. My big gripe is mostly the residents. Like the rime I almost ran out of gas, so I had to stop and get gas at the station (...on warsaw I think, near the uphosltry store, perhaps citgo...). I hadn't even put $5 into my tank without a guy walking up and offering me marijuana. While holding a paper bag in one hand, and his pit bull attached to a rope (...Not a leash, a rope) in the other.

Not to mention the countless "scrapers". I seem to recall one of them biting a teacher a couple years ago. I know for a fact, that one kid approached a football player with a steak knife (In front of many other football players). The local kids throwing ice last year at a Polar Panther (Or whatever the winter CC group is named)...Hit him too.

I'd rather keep my kid out of danger at all costs, rather than put him smack into it. If other parents would like to let their kid walk, that is their choice.

In all the years I have traveled from Delhi to Elder, walking or driving, I never once used Warsaw avenue. You would really have to go out of your way to do that.

The "scrappers" you refer to reside in the housing within one block of Elder or further East. If you drive to Elder and park on the street you are more likely to encounter the "scrappers" than you are on a walk from Delhi to Elder, especially if you make use of the stadium entrance in the horseshoe.

Almost all of the encounters our cross country runners have had while out running have occured on Glenway Avenue. Again, unless you go out of your way, you would not use Glenway Avenue on a trip from Delhi to Elder.

I still do not see how walking to an Elder game from Delhi is any more dangerous than it was back in the 70's. The incident's you cited did not occur along the route most would take to Elder when traveling from Delhi.

Try again to convince me. (Now, I wouldn't necessarily want them walking it at night after a game, but to a game is fine.)

PantherVOR said:
In all the years I have traveled from Delhi to Elder, walking or driving, I never once used Warsaw avenue. You would really have to go out of your way to do that.

Almost all of the encounters our cross country runners have had while out running have occured on Glenway Avenue. Again, unless you go out of your way, you would not use Glenway Avenue on a trip from Delhi to Elder.

Perhaps I am all turned around...I can do that with street names. I'll find out the name of the street though

Also some of the encounters actually happened out in front of Elder. Which is where the f-ball team (J.V's last year) were encountered a lot during summer lifting.

If you take this route, you'd be fine:

Delhi pike to Greenwell to Foley to Pedretti to W8th to Harris to St Lawrence to Regina. No problems especially when you get to the area behind the stadium during a football game. There is Elder people galore;)

E-L-D-E-R 09 said:
I walked home from summer school this year every day from Price Hill to Delhi and never had a problem.

Do you walk it at night? Perhaps it's better than I thought. It's been a few years.

Jteegardner said:
If you take this route, you'd be fine:

Delhi pike to Greenwell to Foley to Pedretti to W8th to Harris to St Lawrence to Regina. No problems especially when you get to the area behind the stadium during a football game. There is Elder people galore;)
That's pretty much the route I was anticipating as well. In any event, I didn't intend to offend anyone. My impression is that area, while not as bad as a lot of PH, has deteriorated over the last 10 yrs or so.

PantherVOR said:

Trenton and west 8th...

eastside_purple said:
That's pretty much the route I was anticipating as well. In any event, I didn't intend to offend anyone. My impression is that area, while not as bad as a lot of PH, has deteriorated over the last 10 yrs or so.

Going up and down West 8th isn't that bad. It's still a halfway decent part of town, although I don't know that I'd want to walk around down there too late at night...

But I agree totally about Warsaw. I avoid driving up and down that street like the plague.

As far as fondest memories of Elder...

"If you don't like it, you can just go poop in your hat!" -- Buck

My very first class as a freshman was French with Mr. Rosen. We walked into the room, and he immediately starts speaking in French, asking us to "Please rise" and pray. I remember the thought going through my mind at the time like "what have I got myself into..."

Pep rallies were always awesome. I always loved when Elder students would dress up in cheaply made West Hi/LaSalle/St. X/Moeller "spirit wear," act like fools, then get beat up and leg dropped by the Elder Panther.

I love writing for the Purple Quill. We'd go drop off the final copies at the printer (on Anderson Ferry near Delhi Pike) and then go to McDonalds and get some breakfast afterwards. On the same note, we would always go down to the office and look through old copies of the Quill or the Elderado dating back to the early 30's... pretty cool stuff.

Of all the teachers I've had in my life, I have only truly disliked one: Ken Laake. I swear he had it in for me from day one... and I ended up getting him for three different classes. I was always a pretty good student, but for whatever reason he always gave me a tough time. The word on him always was (and is), if you can get him talking about abortion you can sidetrack him for an entire class. So by the end of senior year, we all knew that and would always try to get him to start talking about abortion. Well no matter what you said, he would always have to be right. He could tell you Charlie Luken was an alien from the planet Pop Tart, and the burden of proof would be on YOU to disprove him. One day I finally was able to shut him up though and caused a near full scale riot. He was talking about how "sexuality is God's greatest gift" to which I said "well if it is God's greatest gift, why are priests required to remain chaste?" He gave some BS answer, but the whole class turned on him and for about 15 minutes it was a "you are stupid, no YOU are stupid" back and forth.

Another great memory: parking on Beech St. in the morning and walking past Seton; the smell of tropical shampoo and the light scent of perfume filling your nostrils... can't beat it.

"What, you might have to go DOWNTOWN? You might have to leave the WEST SIDE? You might see a BLACK PERSON or someone who isn't CATHOLIC? Oh no!" - Mr. Beemon

The disapproving look Mr. Otten would always give at football games when chants like "A noose, a tree, hang the referee" or "nuts and bolts, nuts and bolts, we got screwed!" would break out...

Playing wiffle ball in the Pit during Coach Grippa's gym class. It was so strange to hit a "home run" by knocking a fly ball into the stands.

"J of N... Day 5!" - Father Kiffmeyer

I remember freshman year I had Mr. Geis for Arts Awareness. Some kid got demerits for something or other, and Geis put them down on his desk. The kid was like "I cannot accept these." Geis said take 'em or I will give you 2 more. Geis goes back and sits at his desk. The kid goes up to the desk, rips the demerits up and throws them in Geis' face. Kid gets more demerits and sent to Otten's office. :laugh: :laugh:

Freshman mixers, or even better, the "datamatch mixer." All night long thinking, "maybe this will be the night I finally get some" and then going home disappointed once again.

Too many great memories... :)

My fondest personal memories involve classroom moments with teachers who weren't boring, but who also weren't macho "hard guys" trying to show off in front of a bunch of sophomores.

A few teachers I had at Elder were credible stand-up comedians.

Mr. Knepfle's classes were hard, but he was almost like Gallagher with an overhead projector.

The late Joe Menkhaus' class was half sheer terror, half high comedy.

Of course, Mr. Acito's wit was legendary. Acito had mastered crowd control. If he gave you a "boo" or a "crass", you were instantly put into place. If you gave you a "good stuff", it could lift your spirit the rest of the day.

Mr. Ploehs was quietly funny.

Mr. Heile worked in the basement at the time but he would often sub. His entrances into class to perform this duty were often like performance art, with obscure references and purposeful mispronunciations.

The Eighties were a different time. Some of the above humor would be frowned upon these days. The macho flip side teachers I talked about in the opening also did things that probably would have gotten them fired today. One teacher used to make fun of guys' changing voices. He would also pick on one student per class and throw his homework away and then give him "no credit" on the assignment. This was just to be a jerk, the kid did nothing wrong. What was that class? "Christian Principles", of course. The irony was lost on him...

Pep rally for the Moeller game. One of the skits was Willie waving a beat up half barrel over his head leading an E L D E R cheer. I think same pep rally a couple longer hair class mates one on guitar and another on a drum set leading us in a Beat Moe chant while they played Say What You will by Fastway. Excuse the pun, the horse shoe of the Pit was rocking! I think we lost to Moeller by 30 :LOL:

Last edited:
Wow, necroposting. Brought this one back from the dead. I am glad you did as 2005 predated my membership.

Pep rallies, football games, impromptu pep rallies in the hall between classes, first day of school opening and memorial masses, poster club, Coach Frye, smoking lounges, gate at eight, Fr. Rudy's face when he first realized the subject of the "You've got a hole, I've got a pole" cheer/song. Someone mentioned the tropical smell emanating from the Seton girls' hair, I dig that and the smell of Herbal Essence shampoo still sends me right back to the 1970's. Not directly connected to Elder but the CYO dances around the westside with live bands, the members of which we were friends with or classmates with at Elder were a blast. I distinctly remember the carpet samples on the walls in the St. William undercroft. Made out for the first time in the horseshoe in the Pit (after the game, so don't get pissed P-Boy). Hiding in the old gym (Spirit Shop/Weight room) until game time with no one in the cheering section and then rushing the field and filling the stands, "open parties" announced quietly by word of mouth at the football games and held in vacate lots in Mt Alverno Estates, Martini Knoll or some other out of the way place and then being raided by the Delhi PD once they found out. Hanging out after the football games at the WSAI studio and giving Casey Piotrowski the football scores. Last, but not least, slow dancing to Chicago's "Color My World", sucky song but the girls would go nuts over it.

Great memories.

Wow, necroposting. Brought this one back from the dead. I am glad you did as 2005 predated my membership.

Pep rallies, football games, impromptu pep rallies in the hall between classes, first day of school opening and memorial masses, poster club, Coach Frye, smoking lounges, gate at eight, Fr. Rudy's face when he first realized the subject of the "You've got a hole, I've got a pole" cheer/song. Someone mentioned the tropical smell emanating from the Seton girls' hair, I dig that and the smell of Herbal Essence shampoo still sends me right back to the 1970's. Not directly connected to Elder but the CYO dances around the westside with live bands, the members of which we were friends with or classmates with at Elder were a blast. I distinctly remember the carpet samples on the walls in the St. William undercroft. Made out for the first time in the horseshoe in the Pit (after the game, so don't get pissed P-Boy). Hiding in the old gym (Spirit Shop/Weight room) until game time with no one in the cheering section and then rushing the field and filling the stands, "open parties" announced quietly by word of mouth at the football games and held in vacate lots in Mt Alverno Estates, Martini Knoll or some other out of the way place and then being raided by the Delhi PD once they found out. Hanging out after the football games at the WSAI studio and giving Casey Piotrowski the football scores. Last, but not least, slow dancing to Chicago's "Color My World", sucky song but the girls would go nuts over it.

Great memories.

Your post confirms Seventies > Eighties!!!

My fondest personal memories involve classroom moments with teachers who weren't boring, but who also weren't macho "hard guys" trying to show off in front of a bunch of sophomores.

A few teachers I had at Elder were credible stand-up comedians.

Mr. Knepfle's classes were hard, but he was almost like Gallagher with an overhead projector.

The late Joe Menkhaus' class was half sheer terror, half high comedy.

Of course, Mr. Acito's wit was legendary. Acito had mastered crowd control. If he gave you a "boo" or a "crass", you were instantly put into place. If you gave you a "good stuff", it could lift your spirit the rest of the day.

Mr. Ploehs was quietly funny.

Mr. Heile worked in the basement at the time but he would often sub. His entrances into class to perform this duty were often like performance art, with obscure references and purposeful mispronunciations.

The Eighties were a different time. Some of the above humor would be frowned upon these days. The macho flip side teachers I talked about in the opening also did things that probably would have gotten them fired today. One teacher used to make fun of guys' changing voices. He would also pick on one student per class and throw his homework away and then give him "no credit" on the assignment. This was just to be a jerk, the kid did nothing wrong. What was that class? "Christian Principles", of course. The irony was lost on him...
Mr. Acito wrote "WOW" on a poem I wrote for some writing assignment and that it was fantastic and that I had a real gift. Asked me to share more with him that I had written for other writing classes. Obviously this has stuck with me for 10+ years so I 100% agree.

I'd say my most fond memory is a collection of memories. Being in the halls, classes and lunchroom every single day with your best friends, some of whom are still best friends, is as good as it gets. Hindsight is 20/20, but looking back on it, the simplicity of life in high school also probably made it that much better even if I didn't realize it at the time.

Dropping plates in the cafeteria and the entire lunchroom erupting, cheering sections, pre-game, post-game, Coach Frey, Mr Hilvert, Buck, Poster Club, Beating Moe for the first time in football since 1972, Coach Spencer World Cultures, stink bombs, Coach Cal, Pep Rally's, Super X, Cheeeeeese Doeger fixing all the technical issues, etc. etc. etc.

Best four years of my life.

Your post confirms Seventies > Eighties!!!
Much less supervision, much more laid back cops (mostly Elder grads) much better cars and I think the girls were better looking too. Things in the late 70's were already changing as my class missed out on Elder Night at the Imperial Follies (strip club in Downtown Cincinnati) and the Pow Wow held every Thanksgiving Eve at Oskamps, but we still had 3.2 beer at Danny's Den and someone in our class stole the Elder Street sign from Findley Market and mounted it on the post at the side parking lot. The theft of the street sign was an annual tradition. I actually think the pole in the corner of the lot was there for that very purpose.

Much less supervision, much more laid back cops (mostly Elder grads) much better cars and I think the girls were better looking too. Things in the late 70's were already changing as my class missed out on Elder Night at the Imperial Follies (strip club in Downtown Cincinnati) and the Pow Wow held every Thanksgiving Eve at Oskamps, but we still had 3.2 beer at Danny's Den and someone in our class stole the Elder Street sign from Findley Market and mounted it on the post at the side parking lot. The theft of the street sign was an annual tradition. I actually think the pole in the corner of the lot was there for that very purpose.
It's a shame that kids nowadays are held to a much higher standard. With social media and phones, they get away with little and are now way more likely to get into trouble. The media is even quicker to jump on Elder for any infraction (real or perceived).

Kids today are way more well behaved than those from the 70's, 80's and 90's.

It's a shame that kids nowadays are held to a much higher standard. With social media and phones, they get away with little and are now way more likely to get into trouble. The media is even quicker to jump on Elder for any infraction (real or perceived).

Kids today are way more well behaved than those from the 70's, 80's and 90's.
I can’t argue with that. In today’s world, the brawl at NBend McDs would be the top news story in the city, everyone involved would be expelled, there’d be lawsuits, arrests, etc.

State championships in hoops twice, baseball, cross country and dave shuler in wrestling all stand out. The '72 football team was a brutal meat grinder as well.

Sleeping 80% of Ken Laake's senior english class while still getting a B+.

Getting Tom Hessling sidetracked with world travel stories in POD class was really easy.

And arguably the best intentional comedic moment in my life came in Bob Richter's speech class. Late in the year we had to team up into groups of four and do an original skit for the class. Myself (cowboy) , Eddie Herman (bartender), Jim Davis (cowboy) and Gary Merz (Sheriff) did a Western comedy bit. Davis and I are standing at the bar with Herman serving us whiskey (colored water). I have Herman pour me two shot glasses of Redeye as I'm buying one for Davis as well. Davis promptly throws the drink in my face. After Herman hands me a bar towel to wipe myself off I deliver the line, "Iffn, I was to buy you another drink..." The entire class including Richter exploded into laughter that lasted for minutes. It was so loud that John Owen, whose class was directly across the hall, came in with the look of a man ready to kick 35 rears into next month, saw the situation was under control as Richter was there laughing (practically falling out of his chair laughing), and without a word left the room closing the door behind. Of course that started another round of laughter. What a way to start the day.

I used to hide in the closet of Fr. Rettig's German II class before he entered the room with just seconds before the bell would ring. When he entered, ala Ed McMahon, would go "Heeeerrrrrrreeeeessssss Donny, Da Dat Da Da Da, Sprechen Sie Deutsch". Fr. Rettig was really cool. He would just rock back on his heals, which he did all the time, and say a certain student better be in his seat before the bell rang.

Man, I'm starting to realize why this board is so stuck in its ways.

Is there any poster that's not over 40? Where are the young minds?