What changes should be made to the CFP?

Crusaders

- Expansion: 5, 6, 8, 12, etc.?
- Concrete criteria and selection transparency?
- Remove the committee and go by computer ranking?

Credit to Auggie because I'm pretty sure I read this from him and IMO it's the best solution(much later down the road, though).

Split FBS in half. 64 teams total 4 conferences(B12 dissolves), 16 teams each, 2 divisions in each conference. Conference championship acts as the quarterfinal. You can switch the bracket around every year to ensure the same conferences don't play every year. I think that's about the best you can do with so many teams.

Crazy that every year since the playoff started Ohio State has been at the center of the controversy in regards to selections, good and bad. And all for different reasons, like the guy said.

The best playoff system, in my opinion, is still the eight team model with the five champs of the Power Five all gaining auto-bids, with the committee then choosing the best at-large teams and seeding the eight into brackets. For those worried about an occasional conference championship upset where the weaker team wins the auto-bid, that won't happen often...and much like the NCAA hoops conference tourneys, it keeps hope and interest alive among more teams than just those having stellar seasons. If that's still not enough for you, toss in a provision that the bid is only automatic if the conference champ is ranked in the Top 15. So if a Power Five champ is not among the top 15, the league auto-bid is forfeited.

There would be far more incentive to schedule tougher OOC games in that system, because you can take a chance or two outside of your league to snag a big win to help your seeding and/or at-large resume, with having the fall-back of knowing you can win your league and make the playoffs even if you lose a tough OOC game.

You had me up until the top 15 provision at the end. If the P5 get an auto-bid, give them the auto-bid. No more provisions, strict parameters.

You had me up until the top 15 provision at the end. If the P5 get an auto-bid, give them the auto-bid. No more provisions, strict parameters.

That is my preference, but a lot of auto-bid whiners fear a weaker division winner springing the upset and getting the bid for some reason.

6 teams, each P5 Champion plus the highest rated team from G5.
This year it would be:
1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Ohio State
5. USC
6. UCF

First Round: Georgia vs UCF, OSU vs USC
Semi-Final: Clemson and Oklahoma face R1 winners

Essentially works the same as NFL playoffs. I like it because it forces teams to win their conference and eliminates the committee and all non-sensical discussions about who should and shouldn't be in. You know immediately after winning your conference championship whether you are in or not

There would be far more incentive to schedule tougher OOC games in that system, because you can take a chance or two outside of your league to snag a big win to help your seeding and/or at-large resume, with having the fall-back of knowing you can win your league and make the playoffs even if you lose a tough OOC game.

That's the biggest weakness about my idea. Kills all the incentive to schedule OOC games. But I feel conference games have lost their importance recently due to the CFP, which makes the middle and late season games a bit dull. And a lot of the hyped up kickoff games turn out to be duds anyway since a lot of the teams involved are no where near as good as their early season ranking. FSU played Alabama and they were terrible, Tennessee vs GT was an awesome game but Tennessee was terrible. Would prefer to have more influence on conference games.

Open it up to 8. Bring back the BCS and let that rank the top 8. Seed accordingly.

I would prefer my eight team field with the five auto-bids for the Power 5, and the three top at-large teams be chosen and seeded using the old BCS methodology, rather than playoff committee style. I mean, with the AP and coaches polls you get your eye test by humans...and by a lot more of them than just 13 committee members. Plus, you get a broad cross section of media and coaches voting in those polls. Then you get the unbiased computer average and it’s a pretty fair system.

I don’t know that many folks had a huge beef with the BCS methodology. Everyone just wanted it expanded to a playoff.

Credit to Auggie because I'm pretty sure I read this from him and IMO it's the best solution(much later down the road, though).

Split FBS in half. 64 teams total 4 conferences(B12 dissolves), 16 teams each, 2 divisions in each conference. Conference championship acts as the quarterfinal. You can switch the bracket around every year to ensure the same conferences don't play every year. I think that's about the best you can do with so many teams.

I still think this is the fairest way but it will have challenges because there will be teams that would get booted from the power 5 designation that may not be too happy.

In the meantime I think some of the scheduling requirements I listed in another thread will help with the rankings. There has to be some sort of requirement for teams to play other power 5 schools in a home/home type manner so we can get a feel for really how much better a certain teams and conferences stack up to each another. Also paycheck Saturday has to go as the 2nd to last game gives you a feel for how a team is trending heading into the biggest weekend of the year.

This year it would be:
1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Ohio State
5. USC
6. UCF

Essentially works the same as NFL playoffs. I like it because it forces teams to win their conference and eliminates the committee and all non-sensical discussions about who should and shouldn't be in. You know immediately after winning your conference championship whether you are in or not

I just don't like making 2 teams have to play 3 games to win it all.
P5 champions
3 highest-rated other league champions.
Seeded according to poll ranking.
1 v 8
2 v 7
3 v 6
4 v 5
1,8 winner v 4,5 winner
2,7 winner v 3,6 winner
2 winners

An interesting point was made by Stewart Mandel, he indicated the #1 road block to an 8 team playoff is that the NCAA would want more $s from ESPN to help defray cost yet ESPN is sucking wind and not looking to spend any more $s on NCAA football.

This year it would be:
1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Ohio State
5. USC
6. UCF

I like this idea, though a team could schedule 2-3 tough OOC games, lose them and still make the Playoff. It basically makes the OOC schedule not matter. Not a big issue for me because we've seen 6 seeds win the Super Bowl in the NFL, but there would be a lot of people upset with a 3-loss team getting in. Could potentially get more teams to schedule aggressively OOC.

An interesting point was made by Stewart Mandel, he indicated the #1 road block to an 8 team playoff is that the NCAA would want more $s from ESPN to help defray cost yet ESPN is sucking wind and not looking to spend any more $s on NCAA football.
They could move to Fox or split games. Where there's a will there's a way.

The old format of the Rose Bowl, minus the not repeat rule, was more entertaining to me then these play-offs amongst the supposedly four best.

Autobid the P5 conf champs, then committee ranks and picks champs from three of the remaining conferences. One team per conference, sucks if you didn't win yours. Rank the 8 and match. Conference doesnt want to determine a clear champ? Sucks to be you. ND, find a conference or just enjoy your bowl game.

I said it in another post. All P5 conferences OOC games should be all P5 teams. Eliminate conference championships, let it all be solved on the field then you'll have a true top 4 playoff teams and you know what? The teams will be the same cast of characters in the end. Unfortunately the big1o may never get in. :stirthepot: Otherwise, this is the best system by far! College football, the only sport in all sports pro and amateur, where the regular season means something. So let's really make it worthwhile!

I said it in another post. All P5 conferences OOC games should be all P5 teams. Eliminate conference championships, let it all be solved on the field then you'll have a true top 4 playoff teams and you know what? The teams will be the same cast of characters in the end. Unfortunately the big1o may never get in. :stirthepot: Otherwise, this is the best system by far! College football, the only sport in all sports pro and amateur, where the regular season means something. So let's really make it worthwhile!

So basically any G5 has no chance to build up a schedule by playing p5 teams, thus elieliminating whatever small shot they had at competing for a playoff spot.

It's becoming more and more clear with each season that more teams need to be involved. There's just no way to pick 4 teams given all the variables.

Personally, I would get rid of the conference championships and make that week the first week of an 8 team playoff.

If you like the conference championships, get rid of one regular season game, start the conference championships one week earlier and then start the playoffs the first week of December. Play the Semifinals and Finals under the current schedule.

Personally, I would get rid of the conference championships and make that week the first week of an 8 team playoff.

If you like the conference championships, get rid of one regular season game, start the conference championships one week earlier and then start the playoffs the first week of December. Play the Semifinals and Finals under the current schedule.

I like the conference championships because they add spice to college football. There is a place for tradition. It would also elevate the importance of the league schedule and provide an objective metric for filling 5 of the 8 playoff slots.

Awarding the P5 conference champions with automatic bids might also spur teams to schedule more difficult OOC games. Take the top teams in the B1G having a realistic shot at winning the league. Wouldn't it make sense for those teams to play a couple of established powers as a way to beef up their chances at being selected as one of the two wild cards should they either not make the conference championship game or lose that game. If they lose those OOC games they would still have a chance to get into the playoffs by winning the league title.

And it should be easy to drop one game per year!

I like the conference championships because they add spice to college football. There is a place for tradition. It would also elevate the importance of the league schedule and provide an objective metric for filling 5 of the 8 playoff slots.

Awarding the P5 conference champions with automatic bids might also spur teams to schedule more difficult OOC games. Take the top teams in the B1G having a realistic shot at winning the league. Wouldn't it make sense for those teams to play a couple of established powers as a way to beef up their chances at being selected as one of the two wild cards should they either not make the conference championship game or lose that game. If they lose those OOC games they would still have a chance to get into the playoffs by winning the league title.

And it should be easy to drop one game per year!

This is one of the most overlooked parts of having the league champ auto-bids for the P5. You schedule heavy in OOC games to bulk up the at-large resume, knowing that losses in those games still leave a shot at qualifying as a league champ. The tough OOC games were very common before the BCS went into effect and everyone started to schedule just to go unbeaten.

Well you will be able to keep this thread going for the next 8 years because nothing will change before that.