Western Buckeye League 2020

I don't feel too good about Van Wert's chances. As for O-G, I can remember it being spanked by Eastwood several years ago, but I don't feel like Otsego is a huge threat, maybe because it hasn't had sustained domination like Eastwood has.
I agree. Treece has done just about everything and more for Van Wert this year. I think that might run out this weekend as Bellevue seems like a more solid all around team. As for O-G, I'm just so impressed with them in general. Last year, they bowed out of the playoffs to eventual state champ Clyde only losing to them 10-17 which is about as close as any of Clyde's playoff games. O-G and Eastwood did meet up in the first round in 2011, Eastwood won 31-0. O-G and Eastwood had been playing in week 1 the past couple years and they've been pretty competitive match-ups -- Eastwood won in 2017, 2019, and O-G won in 2018. I imagine if they had played this year that O-G would've won, but that's just speculation. O-G and Eastwood are on opposite sides of the bracket, so if both win this weekend they'll meet up in the region 18 championship game.

I'm impressed with OG. For the longest time, it was a one trick pony with Boys Basketball, but Football has been cranking in gear, lately.

I'm impressed with OG. For the longest time, it was a one trick pony with Boys Basketball, but Football has been cranking in gear, lately.
Their girls sports are pretty solid too. Their girls basketball and volleyball programs are strong. I believe their volleyball team is undefeated on the year and is playing in the district championship sometime this week. O-G, in my opinion, is the most "MAC"-like team in the WBL. Similar size as MAC and similar toughness.

So basically, Kenton gonna Kenton.

Zero sympathy. I hope at some point they have an 0-10 year and the entire league stomps them into the mud while they're down.

So basically, Kenton gonna Kenton.

Zero sympathy. I hope at some point they have an 0-10 year and the entire league stomps them into the mud while they're down.
Where have you been? Kenton has been extremely average in recent years and were 2-8 as recent as 2015. They've been stomped all over by several league members (i.e. 70-29 by St Marys and 60-33 by Van Wert in back-to-back weeks in 2018) and again by St Marys 58-14 in 2016. Wapak, O-G, and Elida have also had big wins over Kenton too. I think some of y'all are still living in the mid-2000's or simply haven't seen this Kenton team live the past couple years. They have a kicker now (don't go for 2 after every TD), they aren't doing onside kicks all the time, and they actually have a running back. This Kenton program still gets wins, but they're a shell of their former self when they were competing for regional and state titles on the regular. It's a whole different group of players, coaches, and game plan. Yes, I still don't care for Kenton (the high school or the town), but y'all need to stop holding grudges against a high school football team.

Where have you been? Kenton has been extremely average in recent years and were 2-8 as recent as 2015. They've been stomped all over by several league members (i.e. 70-29 by St Marys and 60-33 by Van Wert in back-to-back weeks in 2018) and again by St Marys 58-14 in 2016. Wapak, O-G, and Elida have also had big wins over Kenton too. I think some of y'all are still living in the mid-2000's or simply haven't seen this Kenton team live the past couple years. They have a kicker now (don't go for 2 after every TD), they aren't doing onside kicks all the time, and they actually have a running back. This Kenton program still gets wins, but they're a shell of their former self when they were competing for regional and state titles on the regular. It's a whole different group of players, coaches, and game plan. Yes, I still don't care for Kenton (the high school or the town), but y'all need to stop holding grudges against a high school football team.

Elida had big wins over Kenton?? I am unsure what you are talking about? If I remember correctly those Elida teams were in the top 3 in the league and won by 1 point each year. I agree Kenton's offense has struggled this year but I think you are overstating your opinion.

Elida had big wins over Kenton?? I am unsure what you are talking about? If I remember correctly those Elida teams were in the top 3 in the league and won by 1 point each year. I agree Kenton's offense has struggled this year but I think you are overstating your opinion.
Struggled this year? This was actually a fair year for them given the circumstances. I think Kenton had a fine season. At least they were competitive in their WBL losses (only loss to O-G by a TD, for example). I'm speaking more toward a snapshot of their program over the last several years. Those 5-5 and 2-8 seasons with blowouts that I posted about. I don't believe I'm overstating my opinion. If you've been around WBL long enough, you'd know the current Kenton teams are average-to-good, but not great. Mauk's Kenton wasn't just great, they were elite. They were literally setting national records for their passing attack. They still run the spread, but they're nowhere near as dangerous as the Kenton we all think of, and hate, in our memories. Feckler's Kenton is fine, but they haven't made any real noise since 2014. Those 2014 and before Kenton teams were ruthless. Quick pace, always on attack, touchdowns and 2-pt conversion attempts, onside kicks, 5-wide every down, usually went for it on 4th down, really just ran up the stats and scoreboard. Kenton actually punts now, they kick PAT's. They run the ball (sparingly), but they do. Their passes are more horizontal than vertical bombs. It's a different team, and a team I have more respect for now. Are they rock bottom in the WBL? No. Are they competing for regional and state titles? Not even close. They've been blown out the past two years in the regional quarterfinal, and those are the years they've had a good enough team to qualify for the playoffs.

All I'm trying to convey is that folks need to stop treating Kenton like the Kenton from 10-15 years ago. Things change and you can either be stuck in the past with grudges or hating them or whatever one's feelings toward Kenton are, or you can move into the present and realize it's a different coach, team, and style of play. And I know I've been posting a lot, begrudgingly, but look at my previous posts. I don't care for Kenton either. While I back the WBL, if I were to rank all 10 schools based on my preferences, Kenton would be #10. But I'm not going to continuously dig at them and wish them ill for things that are out of the current player's control.

As for Elida, you are absolutely right there. No Bulldog blowouts over Kenton. I had figured one of those explosive Elida teams did some damage to Kenton, as those Elida teams were incredibly thrilling. And the games I was thinking of were just shootouts -- 49-48 (2016) and 51-50 (2017) -- both wins by Elida. It's at least notable in those games that Elida did a "Kenton"-style of play better than Kenton in those games winning those shootouts. I still stand by my point that Kenton has been on the receiving end of some stompings by league members.

I agree. Treece has done just about everything and more for Van Wert this year. I think that might run out this weekend as Bellevue seems like a more solid all around team. As for O-G, I'm just so impressed with them in general. Last year, they bowed out of the playoffs to eventual state champ Clyde only losing to them 10-17 which is about as close as any of Clyde's playoff games. O-G and Eastwood did meet up in the first round in 2011, Eastwood won 31-0. O-G and Eastwood had been playing in week 1 the past couple years and they've been pretty competitive match-ups -- Eastwood won in 2017, 2019, and O-G won in 2018. I imagine if they had played this year that O-G would've won, but that's just speculation. O-G and Eastwood are on opposite sides of the bracket, so if both win this weekend they'll meet up in the region 18 championship game.

Totally forgot Eastwood was still alive! Can't believe there can still be an NBC regional final. I was at the 2011 game, can't believe it was that long ago. It was a decent drive to watch a crappy game. I was only thinking about that game since it was a playoff game, not the regular season matchups.

Don't know if you don't follow girls sports at all, but my God, it seems like O-G goes undefeated or almost undefeated in the regular season lately, in volleyball, girls & boys basketball, and is always solid in football. O-G is usually around 3rd-5th in the All-Sports standings. It could win the trophy one of these years if it could get a few sports to get from the bottom to the middle of the pack.

Fair assessment, but it will take a long stretch of mediocrity for me to not crack a smile whenever Kenton loses. 2015 was probably the year it was nice to see Kenton not just take a step back, but be very beatable, and Defiance still couldn't do it...groan.

Fair assessment, but it will take a long stretch of mediocrity for me to not crack a smile whenever Kenton loses. 2015 was probably the year it was nice to see Kenton not just take a step back, but be very beatable, and Defiance still couldn't do it...groan.
Defiance is a team I'd like to see do well. For example, it's been really awesome to see Van Wert's success these past few years and playoff runs. I know they were in a slump for a bit. It'd be nice to see Defiance pull out a 7-3/8-2 year and maybe pull some upsets along the way. From your assessment, it doesn't sound like it'll happen for a while.

Defiance needs discipline before they can do anything. They lead the league in penaltues because they're out of position, slow, and commit false starts, holds, pass interference, etc. anytime they finally get something going. Could have besten Shawnee, but 2 drives stalled in the red zone and the pass interference that kept Shawnee's eventual TD drive alive killed it.

As for Kenton, honestly my problem isn't even the team now. Mauk's gone, new group of kids. Not any of their fault. It's the fact that with the stuff that went on, it's clear there's a culture issue in town. Maybe that's also changed, haven't heard much out of them or been to Kenton recently. But the bottle throwing, punishments being pushed back just speaks of a toxic culture I'm not sure can change in 14 years. Not jealous or anything, as in the 2000s we actually held our own (4-6) against them. We've been terrible since against everyone.

I hope things have changed for the better.

As for Kenton, honestly my problem isn't even the team now. Mauk's gone, new group of kids. Not any of their fault. It's the fact that with the stuff that went on, it's clear there's a culture issue in town. Maybe that's also changed, haven't heard much out of them or been to Kenton recently. But the bottle throwing, punishments being pushed back just speaks of a toxic culture I'm not sure can change in 14 years. Not jealous or anything, as in the 2000s we actually held our own (4-6) against them. We've been terrible since against everyone.

I hope things have changed for the better.
I think you're absolutely right, and I agree - I don't think the town of Kenton has changed or will change (or that they even think those past actions were problematic). Someone mentioned the 2006 case was very Steubenville-esque. I think this critique of Kenton/the toxic culture can also be applied to the town of Wapak. Everyone knows the reputation of Wapak and the varying allegations when Trotwood came up to play them in the playoffs. Towns are extremely slow to change and bad reputations linger for a long time. I have a feeling the distaste for Kenton football and the stereotypes of Wapak will remain and be discussed in these threads for years to come. Is it representative of the kids on those current teams for either of those programs? I'm not sure. I'll give the kids the benefit of the doubt that they just want to play football.

OG did lose to Eastwood in 2011 in the first round and it was a thumping, but did you forget that OG destroyed Eastwood in the second round at Donnell stadium in 2009? Titans could have named their score in that one. In 2017 Week 1, the Titans were on their 3rd QB and Eastwood dominated them, but all the other games have been great battles every year.

Eastwood and OG have had some great games over the last few years and I think both have a healthy respect for the other. Would be some interesting karma if these 2 teams that were scheduled to play in Week 1 eventually meet in the Regional Championship game, hmm?

Tucson, that OG - Elida game was easy to explain. The Titans were missing a key starter on the offensive line and their middle linebacker - and both absences were very impactful. Also, Elida is much improved and played extremely well in that game. They completely earned that win and coach Kyle Harmon was a great get for that program.

Last edited:
Week 10 Regular Season Games - Friday
Kenton - 53, River Valley - 36
Shawnee - 21, Minster - 27
Celina - 21, Bryan - 40
Defiance - 0, Napoleon - 28

As I pretty much expected, not great performances by the WBL regular season games. Defi-Napoleon was 0-0 at the half, but I guess it all fell apart in the 2nd half for the Bulldogs. The other Bulldogs, Celina, seemingly got blown out by Bryan. Didn't seem like that game was particularly close. A bit surprised that the Shawnee-Minster game was as high scoring as it was, but not surprised to see Shawnee come up short. Kind of seems like that's just been their season this year. Kenton over RV was probably the only game I expected a win out of.

To sum up the Defiance game: there was an exchange right before half where we had them backed up to their goalline, then instead of getting the ball inside the 30 with 2 minutes left, muffed the punt and gave it up. Defense got a pick next play, giving us the ball eith a loss of about 20 yards in field position. So then we go deep and give it right back up.

Defense played well until Napoleon made the right adjustments and everything just broke down. Offense couldn't get anything going at all. When they would break a play or get a drive going, like all season, penalties and turnovers ended it.

I'm excited about the defense next year. They're young, they get to the ball, they tackle. They'll give us far more of a shot. But unless mistakes stop and the offense can put points up, it won't matter.

I did notice that Defiance started only about 6 seniors, and the other team started like 17. Still, screw the rivals.

Week 10 Playoff Games (Regional Semifinals)
D4R14: (5) Van Wert -- 41, (1) Bellevue -- 22
D5R18: (3) O-G -- 6, (2) Otsego -- 21

D4 R14 Championship
(5) Van Wert (8-1) @ (2) Shelby (9-0)

As for the playoff games, stunning from Van Wert. I don't know what the overall stats were, but I'm surprised VW got out to a big lead. The Cougars scored more than half the total points Bellevue had given up all year long prior to this game. Would be nice to see a WBL team get a shot at the state semifinals, there haven't been too many lately.

Also very surprised at the O-G result. I read the Titans were held to 20-some rushing yards and not much more than 100 total. I will say that the Titans seem to have the widest range of results in the playoffs among WBL teams. Sometimes they just absolutely roll over someone, and sometimes they lay some huge eggs. I feel like the WBL has much greater depth than the NBC (helps having more teams too), but perhaps the best NBC team can usually compete with the top WBL teams as well.

As for the playoff games, stunning from Van Wert. I don't know what the overall stats were, but I'm surprised VW got out to a big lead. The Cougars scored more than half the total points Bellevue had given up all year long prior to this game. Would be nice to see a WBL team get a shot at the state semifinals, there haven't been too many lately.

Also very surprised at the O-G result. I read the Titans were held to 20-some rushing yards and not much more than 100 total. I will say that the Titans seem to have the widest range of results in the playoffs among WBL teams. Sometimes they just absolutely roll over someone, and sometimes they lay some huge eggs. I feel like the WBL has much greater depth than the NBC (helps having more teams too), but perhaps the best NBC team can usually compete with the top WBL teams as well.
As I said, Cougars kicked Redmen in the jollies with their trickeration, then Bellevue became turnover happy.