West Clermont is Open

Hasn't had much success at WCHS outside of the first year where a Batavia kid he recruited lead them to the playoffs. Seems like a, "You can't fire me I quit" situation.

Not really sure why anyone thought WCHS was going to be some juggernaut when the school was formed. At the end of the day you were taking a decent Glen Este program and combining it with an Amelia program that couldn't even compete in the sbaac.

For Burg though this is as good a hire as they could hope for. They support their program, love running the wing t. And return a decent amount of players from last year's team.

Going from Div. II to Div. VI is odd...unless he wanted a change to a smaller atmosphere or knew he was going to be let go a WC.
Yeah there is a lot of talent at WC...Before the merge GE had some very solid teams and they have a good youth program. I (like many others) was expecting more out of all of the WC sports especially football...

West Clermont was easily the worst team I watched in person this year. A new coach is probably a good thing.

Last edited:
Where is all the WC talent?
Let’s just say with a school this size there should be a lot of talent. I live in the district although my kids didn’t go there. I can tell you that that about 6-7 WC kids were starting for McNick this season, all would have started at WC. I know of others at Moeller and X. It’s been the same since my son played in 2014, we had 7 WC kids playing regularly on a 10-2 team.
In a sense it’s self fulfilling. Parents who have sons ,and the resources, see the upheaval at WC and choose other options for football.

Last edited:
Let’s just say with a school this size there should be a lot of talent. I live in the district although my kids didn’t go there. I can tell you that that about 6-7 WC kids were starting for McNick this season, all would have started at WC. I know of others at Moeller and X. It’s been the same since my son played in 2014, we had 7 WC kids playing regularly on a 10-2 team.
In a sense it’s self fulfilling. Parents who have sons ,and the resources, see the upheaval at WC and choose other options for football.
That's exactly my point. West Clermont is the Oak Hills of the East Side.

Been like this even long before the merger

Of course all if not most of these kids went to Catholic grade school so it was probably inevitable.

I know a lot of people who were predicting West Clermont to become one of the top public schools in the area once they merged. They said home grown talent would stay now that they’d be D1 and draw more college recruiting...not working out like that so far

The class at GE youth that are now freshman in college were dominant. The class at Amelia youth who are seniors were dominant. I know coaches on both youth staffs and they were excellent. To be fair, some of them chose not to play football in HS to focus on either basketball or baseball. If you choose to ride or die with "this what we run", when the youth aren't running it-you run in to problems.

The class at GE youth that are now freshman in college were dominant. The class at Amelia youth who are seniors were dominant. I know coaches on both youth staffs and they were excellent. To be fair, some of them chose not to play football in HS to focus on either basketball or baseball. If you choose to ride or die with "this what we run", when the youth aren't running it-you run in to problems.
Are you really suggesting that a HS program should change their offense year to year based on the offense a youth football team had success with? Ever think that maybe the youth program should adopt the offense that the HS runs so they kids learn it from an early age

Are you really suggesting that a HS program should change their offense year to year based on the offense a youth football team had success with? Ever think that maybe the youth program should adopt the offense that the HS runs so they kids learn it from an early age
1) No 2) Yes Have a nice day

Your system should adjust accordingly based on what you have to work with. Some of these coaches are super rigid, and they run the same stuff no matter what the strengths are of the players

Your system should adjust accordingly based on what you have to work with. Some of these coaches are super rigid, and they run the same stuff no matter what the strengths are of the players
I tend to agree, to an extent. I don't think you should go from wing t to air raid or vice versa year to year simply because i believe consistency is important to build a program. But, you can adjust/tweak what you do within your offense to fit your guys.

Where is all the WC talent?
Not saying WC football are state or league contenders by any means in football at this time but they should be able to muster 5-5 to 7-3 seasons consistantly.
If you go back to 2017-2018 WC has been competitive in the ECC in most sports outside of football. in 2019 they were 5-5 with a win over Kings.
and in 2019 WC won the ECC in basketball.
WC girls sports does fair better than the boys sports (like Oak Hills).
WC and Oak Hills are alike in the fact they are competitive in their leages in other sports. in some sports much more competitive than other teams in their league so there is some talent at the school. You also have to keep in mind the school has only been around for 5 years the last two being a show for all schools that some has handled better than others.

WC football from 2017-2021 is much better than Oak Hills and several other D1 schools.
Over this time WC football is 23W-29L. Oak Hills 5-44.

The West Clermont Athletic Department is an amateur operation, being run by amateurs, that barely produce intramural level results. The issues run much deeper than one coach in one sport, or a couple of down classes cycling through. Until the good folks in charge over there install a competent professional to Direct their Athletic Department there is no reason to believe the on the field results will improve. Enrollment numbers and top shelf facilities not withstanding, no qualifed coach with other options is walking into that environment.

The West Clermont Athletic Department is an amateur operation, being run by amateurs, that barely produce intramural level results. The issues run much deeper than one coach in one sport, or a couple of down classes cycling through. Until the good folks in charge over there install a competent professional to Direct their Athletic Department there is no reason to believe the on the field results will improve. Enrollment numbers and top shelf facilities not withstanding, no qualifed coach with other options is walking into that environment.
I’ve heard similar things. Can you elaborate on any specific things. Haven’t been around since the merger and this move seems odd at best.

Watching the game play of WC Football and many of their sports they have a very rec feel to them. They have had some really athletics kids come through that school. But I have seen 3-4 different sports played in different years and seems the coaches have no control of the teams. There is a lot of trash talk, cheap shots, overly agggressive non-sense fouls, and coaches screaming at officials. I have not had a good experience at any sporting event I have seen with WC. They have the athletes. But do they have the culture?

Watching the game play of WC Football and many of their sports they have a very rec feel to them. They have had some really athletics kids come through that school. But I have seen 3-4 different sports played in different years and seems the coaches have no control of the teams. There is a lot of trash talk, cheap shots, overly agggressive non-sense fouls, and coaches screaming at officials. I have not had a good experience at any sporting event I have seen with WC. They have the athletes. But do they have the culture?
That's from youth on up...its a west clermont thing in general

This is same in other sports. Some very poor decisions were made 6-7 years ago. Mainly some middle school desicions to go with split equal teams?????????????? Some good coaches left . Especially in basketball when those stupid deciscions came down many kids left or simply chose to play other sports. Nobody got better. Football ended up with 2 big teams. Nobody wanted to coach. AD was good guy But HS AD forced him out now an Incompetent AD. COMPLETE MESS. Know for fact coaches were against all MS policies put in but board and AD said NO. The former BBall coach told me he told them back then that if theses policies go through which they did West Clermont will be a city wide joke in 5 years and here we are. These athletes are ones who were in 7-8 grades when started (the ones that stayed) MESS

YOU EXACTLY RIGHT!!!! Quality coaches can only overcome incompatance for so long. Most now there collecting some extra $$$ accepting lossses and move on. Cheating kids and no one sees it

YOU EXACTLY RIGHT!!!! Quality coaches can only overcome incompatance for so long. Most now there collecting some extra $$$ accepting lossses and move on. Cheating kids and no one sees it
In my opinion, when they did not name Dan Simmons from Glen Este Athletic Director when they opened that thing they made a critical mistake. A school that size must have a professional administrator, with a proven track record of success to oversee the entire department. That is certainly not the case now, and I think the word is out in the coaching community.

That’s always been my perception living here. Big reason my kids went to Catholic HS.
As a product of a GCL school, there's a lot of good people at the Catholic schools and some bad people and in my opinion about the same ratio as the public schools including WC. Money hides some flaws and yes, athletics in general are better at the Catholic schools for a lot of reasons.