Week Two Meets to Watch Statewide

The Hot Summer Bash (Hilliard Davidson's Invit) will be very tough with some of the top teams in the eleven team field (St. Xavier, Hilliard Davidson, Olentangy Liberty, Mass. Jackson, and several other good teams from the Columbus area. Also, the Mentor "Cardinal Classic" will be topnotch. There are 25 teams in the boys varsity race including: Hudson, Solon, St. Ignatius, Mentor, Medina, NDCL, Brunswick, and Strongsville. The girls varsity will have 23 teams and nice teams such as Hudson, Hawken, Brunswick, and Medina. There will be lots of good runners in the top 25 in each race.

madman

For individual performances, I don't think you will find too many better than Shelby's Caleb Brown who ran 15:09 at Ashland. I was impressed with Nathan Moore's 15:45 in the DI race - he finished ~36 sec in front of 2nd place. I definitely did not see anyone finishing another 36 sec in front of Moore! It did not strike me as a particularly fast course - plenty of hills and turns to make it interesting.

psycho_dad

I do not understand the purpose of winning a race by that much. If Shelby's #1 runs 2 minutes slower, but they pack run and he pulls 2-5 to 10 second better performances each, They win as a team. Especially on 8/31. On 11/2 it's a different story. but I do not see any purpose in taking second place in a meet as a team with your #1 winning by over a minute. Worst case, it doesn't work and the team finishes 3rd instead of second. First half of the season, I'd stress pack running to get 2-5 racing better. Second half of the season, if it's not looking like the team can win pack running, you let him off the leash and 2-7 have got to do it without his help.

I can see if you were sending a message to the second place runner, but although Gucker is a very good runner, he is not yet a top 3 or 4 in the state.

Last edited:

Runningfast

Hopefully the Shelby and Mr. Brown have a purpose for each meet. We don't know what their goals were for this particular day.

When we race, we try to set different goals for each week (and sometimes for each kid). Some weeks our goal is to practice getting out hard and dealing with a fast early pace. Sometimes it is to group up and pack run. Sometimes it is to be conservative and close as hard as you can the final mile. Sometimes it is to match up with particular teams or kids.

When you have a kid as talented as Brown, you have to find ways to challenge him. He wins all the time, so that might not do the trick anymore. Perhaps the goal this week was to run fast.

Mr. Slippery

Found the Hot Summer Bash results here:

Davidson girls won the varsity race over Jackson 35-58 (only 9 teams in the girls varsity race) and 15ed both the 9/10 race and the open race.

St. X. boys won the varsity race 58-76-79 over Beavercreek and Gahanna (11 teams competed in that race).

GlenOak boys won the Marlington Invitational with league foes Hoover and Perry close behind. Marlington's Noah Graham tracked down Salem's Hunter Christopher for the win in 16:02.

Tallmadge girls claimed an easier victory over Salem and Perry. Salem's Carly Hall claimed a comfortable win in 19:18.

The field was bolstered by a couple more teams because Hoover's Dave Clegg Invitational could not be held this year due to construction on property adjacent to the campus (formerly part of Bob-O-Link GC).

Last edited: