Thursday
Colerain @ Lakota West
Fairfield @ Sycamore

Saturday
St. Xavier @ Centerville
Moeller @ New Albany
Indian Hill @ Summit Country Day
Mariemont @ Oakwood

Some good conference games during the week and some great nonconference match ups this weekend. Predictions?

My guesses

Monday
Cincinnati Christian @ Seven Hills - Seven Hills wins 2-1. I know very little about both programs. I do know Cincinnati Christian is currently undefeated which has to be one of the best seasons in program history? I'll take the underdog.

Tuesday
Moeller @ Elder - Moller wins 3-0. The grass will play a factor but Elder just not good enough to hang around.
LaSalle @ St. Xavier - St. X wins 4-1. Big win for St. X this weekend. Maybe that will be a catalyst for them to win games instead of tying.
Lakota East @ Lakota West - This will be a fun one! I'll take the home team, Lakota West 2-1.
Summit Country Day @ Sycamore - Tie 1-1. Sycamore has only lost one game on the season. But they're not as good as advertised early on. I think Summit finds a way to get a draw here.
Wyoming @ Mariemont - Wyoming 3-2. Two teams that have scored a lot of goals this year go head to head. Another good league match.

Thursday
Colerain @ Lakota West - Colerain 2-1. Lakota West will be drained from Tuesday for this game. Colerain takes advantage.
Fairfield @ Sycamore - Fairfield 2-1. Fairfield's results make this very hard to predict. I'll just go with them.

Saturday
St. Xavier @ Centerville - Centerville 3-1. Centerville with a really impressive 5-1 win over St. Charles this past weekend. They are hot at the right time.
Moeller @ New Albany - Tie 2-2. New Albany has a perfect record thus far. I think Moeller can and will score on them. They have had a hard time keeping the ball out of the back of the net against good opponents so we'll say they let in 2 and end in a tie.
Indian Hill @ Summit Country Day - This is a big game for D2 tournament seedings. Summit hasn't lost since they played Wyoming. I think they'll beat IH and shake things up.
Mariemont @ Oakwood - 1-1 tie. Oakwood has only allowed 1 goal all season. I think Mariemont can find a goal.

Read this with many grains of salt. Every time I predict games I usually land around .500 which is not very good.

Outside of Summit....the only team I have seen of the above is Oakwood. They are built for the big home field they play on. I'll take the Jacks 3-0.

Last edited:
Monday
Cincinnati Christian @ Seven Hills- Cincinnati Christian

Tuesday
Moeller @ Elder - Moeller
LaSalle @ St. Xavier - St. Xavier
Lakota East @ Lakota West- Lakota west
Summit Country Day @ Sycamore - sycamore
Wyoming @ Mariemont - Wyoming

Thursday
Colerain @ Lakota West- colerain
Fairfield @ Sycamore- Fairfield

Saturday
St. Xavier @ Centerville - tie
Moeller @ New Albany- Upset gonna go with Moeller
Indian Hill @ Summit Country Day- IH
Mariemont @ Oakwood- Mariemont

What happened in the East West game tonight? I heard it ended 0-0 and there was a fight with a few red cards shown? Can someone share details or do I have bad information?

St X 3 - LaSalle 1

st X lost a key defender to a nasty looking foul late in the game. Not good with Centerville and Moeller up next.

Moeller 3 Elder 2
LaSalle 1 St. Xavier 3
Lakota East 0 Lakota West 0
Summit Country Day 3 Sycamore 1
Wyoming 3 Mariemont 2

looks like games were as good as advertised.

What happened in the East West game tonight? I heard it ended 0-0 and there was a fight with a few red cards shown? Can someone share details or do I have bad information?
Tangled up and a little bit of shoving. Nothing super serious. Should have been 2 yellows. Happened with 2 minutes left in the first half. The double yellows would have accomplished what the ref was going for, which was controlling the game before if got out of hand. The yellows would have sent both kids off and they wouldn't have returned until the start of the 2nd. Plenty of time to relax and get focused again.

Both teams playing a man down made it an interesting change in dynamic, as that makes for a lot of constant open space for both teams.

Here is the game. Incident happened at about the 1:44 mark.

Tangled up and a little bit of shoving. Nothing super serious. Should have been 2 yellows. Happened with 2 minutes left in the first half. The double yellows would have accomplished what the ref was going for, which was controlling the game before if got out of hand. The yellows would have sent both kids off and they wouldn't have returned until the start of the 2nd. Plenty of time to relax and get focused again.

Both teams playing a man down made it an interesting change in dynamic, as that makes for a lot of constant open space for both teams.

Here is the game. Incident happened at about the 1:44 mark.

Completely disproportionate response by the referee. Both players showed great restraint after getting tangled up with emotions running high. While I appreciate the difficulty of officiating, I hate seeing referees making themselves the central storyline in so many games this season.

Moeller looks to be solving their early season scoring woes. They’ve put up 18 goals in their last five games. They’ve also given up 7 goals in the same timeframe. Coach doesn’t seem to trust his bench at all, and starters play almost all the minutes and clearly wear down in games. Very vulnerable on set pieces. Multiple players nursing injuries and dead legs but are still playing 75+ minutes. They remain a work in progress. Will be interesting to see how the rest of their season goes.

Completely disproportionate response by the referee. Both players showed great restraint after getting tangled up with emotions running high. While I appreciate the difficulty of officiating, I hate seeing referees making themselves the central storyline in so many games this season.
Why were the cards given? There are other rules for issuing straight red other than fighting. Maybe your hearing is better than mine, were you able to hear what the players said? Did you get a chance to see the red card report? This match up has a history of red cards, and maybe instead of blaming the refs, you should be blaming the coaches or players! What other games have the refs been the "central" storyline?

Wow! I don't see REDS at all in that situation. 2 yellows, and move on. The Center Official is a pretty high level Grade for USSF. She knows what she is doing. I do wonder if there was some language exchanged, that possibly warranted the red.

Why were the cards given? There are other rules for issuing straight red other than fighting. Maybe your hearing is better than mine, were you able to hear what the players said? Did you get a chance to see the red card report? This match up has a history of red cards, and maybe instead of blaming the refs, you should be blaming the coaches or players! What other games have the refs been the "central" storyline?

Ref handled the situation really well until she showed the red if the tangle and scuffle was all that happened, but your point about not being able to hear what was said is a good one.

The players actually do a very nice job of not letting a heated moment get out of hand. If she was going to give a red she was going to have to give it to both of them.

As to your question about refs being the central storyline I can’t think of many, which is a good thing.

I've seen her do games before and she is an excellent referee in my opinion. I think 2 yellows would have been the better option but at the same time I don't know what was being said on the field long while this happening.

I also believe the West player was just coming back from a red card suspension. Isn't there a further penalty if that is true?

Fair enough. I concede that there are other reasons to issue a straight red besides fighting. However, in this case the referee explicitly disqualified the players for “fighting”. Referees have to handle emotional rivalry games like this firmly from the first whistle. Regardless of past contests, this game wasn’t out of hand or showing signs of getting out of hand and the situation didn’t warrant straight red cards being issued. In my opinion, this referee overreacted and unnecessarily impacted the contest.

So far this season, I’ve seen referees issue a straight red for “vulgar language directed in a positive manner towards a fellow teammate”, insist that a player did not need to leave the field after issuing a yellow card, add 3 minutes of “stoppage time” to a contest after the clock horn sounded, among others. Referees are human - I get that - as are players and coaches.

These refs all meet and talk with each other. They know what players to watch and what teams have been compiling cards for their aggressive play. There should be no surprise red cards were given after West got four red cards one game before against Elder. I am no genius but my guess is that word got out to keep an eye on West and keep the game in hand by whatever means necessary.

These refs all meet and talk with each other. They know what players to watch and what teams have been compiling cards for their aggressive play. There should be no surprise red cards were given after West got four red cards one game before against Elder. I am no genius but my guess is that word got out to keep an eye on West and keep the game in hand by whatever means necessary.
There’s no doubt the referees know what they’re walking into in a given game. Regardless, take a firm stand early and often with verbal warnings and yellow cards before going straight to the pocket for the red. If the red is warranted, by all means it should be shown. Perhaps that’s what happened here but in watching the game I did not see it.

Straight reds in that case (unless there were words exchanged that were not able to be heard) seems unnecessary given what I saw on the video.

I understand there's a ref shortage these days, but I do agree that more often this year, the ref has become the center of attention for games, when normally they shouldn't really even be an afterthought. Son's game was like that last night - center ref was in everyone's faces nearly from the opening kickoff - arguing with players, coaches, even his ARs (while they were trying to correct his incorrect calls and misunderstanding of the laws of the game).

I wonder if OHSAA is having more rec/club referees doing HS games without an understanding of the differences in the HS rules? Like a previous poster mentioned, our CR yesterday didn't realize that a player had to come off when he gave them a yellow card. Then proceeded to argue about whether or not they could come back on the field on the next available substitution.

Watched the video a few times. Please remember that we have an advantage with seeing the incident from this angle and the referee crew's view is far different. With that said....

White player gave a small push when getting back up to his feet and proceeds to stand over the body of Red player. This can certainly be interpreted as taunting which is cause for dismissal. Upon getting to his feet and initially walking away, it is likely Red player said something judging by the reaction of White #8. Nobody off the field and in this message board knows for sure, but by looking at #8's reaction, I think we could agree that something was said. Depending on what was said, you may have abusive language which is cause for dismissal.

As for the official, she's certainly not an individual who puts herself in the spotlight. There is no need to list her credentials she doesn't need the validation. She's one of, if not the absolute best our state has to offer.

I completely agree. Can’t chase off the good ones. There really aren’t many, especially that will do HS games. It also isn’t easy to bounce between club leagues, college, HS, and expect them to get every rule straight every time. There have been a couple of bad ones for sure, but the vast majority are doing the best they can. St X vs Lasalle had two man system and I thought the two gentlemen did a great job considering the circumstances.

Watched the video a few times. Please remember that we have an advantage with seeing the incident from this angle and the referee crew's view is far different. With that said....

White player gave a small push when getting back up to his feet and proceeds to stand over the body of Red player. This can certainly be interpreted as taunting which is cause for dismissal. Upon getting to his feet and initially walking away, it is likely Red player said something judging by the reaction of White #8. Nobody off the field and in this message board knows for sure, but by looking at #8's reaction, I think we could agree that something was said. Depending on what was said, you may have abusive language which is cause for dismissal.

As for the official, she's certainly not an individual who puts herself in the spotlight. There is no need to list her credentials she doesn't need the validation. She's one of, if not the absolute best our state has to offer.
The situation was handled with poise and professionalism. The referee crew did a great job in that match. the double red was warranted for actions and words. Yellows would not have been enough punishment for the crime. This referee in particular used tons player management techniques through the entire match.

Straight reds in that case (unless there were words exchanged that were not able to be heard) seems unnecessary given what I saw on the video.

I understand there's a ref shortage these days, but I do agree that more often this year, the ref has become the center of attention for games, when normally they shouldn't really even be an afterthought. Son's game was like that last night - center ref was in everyone's faces nearly from the opening kickoff - arguing with players, coaches, even his ARs (while they were trying to correct his incorrect calls and misunderstanding of the laws of the game).

I wonder if OHSAA is having more rec/club referees doing HS games without an understanding of the differences in the HS rules? Like a previous poster mentioned, our CR yesterday didn't realize that a player had to come off when he gave them a yellow card. Then proceeded to argue about whether or not they could come back on the field on the next available substitution.
I agree with this 100%, all of us have been around refs that don't have the emotional IQ to handle certain situations. Now we have a ton of refs that fall into this and it can be a powder keg. We had a guy the other night that seriously did not know the entire ball has to be out on the touch. I am not kidding with you all. After about 3-4 crazy calls the center went and talked to him and there were no other problems the rest of the night. That is how short we are on refs.

I agree with this 100%, all of us have been around refs that don't have the emotional IQ to handle certain situations. Now we have a ton of refs that fall into this and it can be a powder keg. We had a guy the other night that seriously did not know the entire ball has to be out on the touch. I am not kidding with you all. After about 3-4 crazy calls the center went and talked to him and there were no other problems the rest of the night. That is how short we are on refs.
I though it was half of the ball that marked it out of bounds, not the entire ball. ??‍♂️

Finals

Alter 1
Monroe 1

Mariemont 2
Oakwood 4

Only the 2nd and 3rd goals given up by the unbeaten Jacks this season.