Week 8: LaSalle

And he missed last season (freshman year) due to injury
Amazing.
Hoping he's only at 50% right now lol

Fingers crossed the Bombers finish the season with lots of momentum and it carries them for a deep run in the playoffs. It sounds like the QB situation is stabilizing. I too like the way #44 runs. ReLoad, what is the situation with # 26 ? He got some carries earlier this year but I'm not sure he has played much lately. Injury?
If I'm Moe or Elder, I wouldn't relish the thought of playing X again should it come to that in the playoffs. We'll find out soon enough.

It seems like no QB is compatible with the system...
Rueve and McCaughey were, as was backup Ryan Nolan when he had to sub in for McCaughey. Maybe no QB at present. Was also plenty effective at Trinity for a long time.

Unfortunately Cov has trouble adapting to what he has versus what he wants.

ReLoad, what is the situation with # 26 ? He got some carries earlier this year but I'm not sure he has played much lately. Injury?
He has been playing JV, he got the bulk of the carries in the Withrow game due injuries at the position. He isn't really needed right now because of Britt and Napier.

Rueve and McCaughey were, as was backup Ryan Nolan when he had to sub in for McCaughey. Maybe no QB at present. Was also plenty effective at Trinity for a long time.

Bomber offenses with Coverdale (passing yards, rushing yards, QB/Receivers/RBs
2019: 3,150 yards passing, 1,246 yards rushing; Rueve / Lang, Clifford, Patterson / Newman, Vrsansky
2020: 3,283 yards passing, 1,546 yards rushing; McCaughey / Clifford, Patterson, McFarlin / Kellom, Vrsansky
2021: 2,718 yards passing, 1,943 yards rushing; McCaughey / McFalin, Klare, Farrar / Kellom
2022: 2,070 yards passing, 1,405 yards rushing: O’Malley and Herbie / Sharp, Wassler, McClatchey / Napier, Patrick
2023 (8 games): 1,145 yards passing, 1,226 yards rushing: Herbie / Bennett, McClatchey, Klare, Taylor / Vollmer, Britt, Napier

Percent Passing (2019-2023) 72%, 68%, 58%, 60%, 48%
Team Record (2019-2023) 9-3, 10-2, 10-3, 5-7, 4-4

We'll never know how many college division I receivers #7 might have had-- because, at this rate, NONE of them are going to have enough catchable balls thrown to them, for them to show whether they can perform at that level (and thus get offers)... current Klare might be able to play at that level (doesn't he already have Division I offers?), but he's the guy that #7 resorts to throwing to, on (what seems like) 75% of his passes-- so Klare has caught (or had chances to catch) a LOT of balls this year (if ANYONE on X's team can be said to have done that this year)... meanwhile, most of the other receivers are left to chase after passes that are not really catchable (the most recent example coming to mind being that ball thrown out of the end zone, at least 10 yards beyond the receiver, from the ~30-yard line, in the first half against LaSalle, when #7, for once, had time and was not really throwing under pressure).

Oh, and Reload, STOP talking about college Division III schools giving "offers" to players-- that's one step above playing intramural or club football-- it is NOT paid (scholarship) football, and it has no resemblance to what is required to play Division I college sports--- even Mount Union is not comparable.

Didn't say they received offers.
Just that they were playing college ball.
I think Taylor can have a similar HS career to Terrell McFarlin.
I think talking about X alumni playing at Division III schools intermingled with those playing at Division I schools just muddies the water, when trying to assess X's program's success in having players ascend to the next level-- those are apples and oranges... I'd almost say the same about Division II-- but there are at least some (probably partial) scholarships being given there.

I don't know, 4GX. How does a school like Dayton do it, do you know? The football players don't necessarily receive athletic scholarships but I think much of their tuition/room/board is covered under "academic scholarship" or something along those lines. Don't mean to split hairs, however.

For kicks and giggles.

If X is hell bent on keeping Herb as QB how about trying something out of the ordinary. Its not like we are not already seeing it.

How about a Shotgun Split Back Formation. Vollmer and Brit in the backfield with Herb.

Last edited:
I don't know, 4GX. How does a school like Dayton do it, do you know? The football players don't necessarily receive athletic scholarships but I think much of their tuition/room/board is covered under "academic scholarship" or something along those lines. Don't mean to split hairs, however.
This is correct. The entire Pioneer League is set up like that. They offer no full ride athletic scholarships, but most players receive academic scholarships and/or federal grants. That is a FCS football only conference. Apologies to 4GX for answering, but familiar with that conference.

Those "academic scholarships" are a farce-- by NCAA by-laws for Division III, the awards can NOT be directly tied or related to playing a sport (and if you press the coach who is "recruiting" you, they will admit that to you)-- they are determined by the financial aid office, and NOT by the football program.

It's also a bait & switch program, used by private schools (like Mount St. Joseph), to get gullible guys (often with questionable academic records), who want to keep playing football in college after not being recruited, to enroll there: MSJ offers these guys an "academic scholarship" (maybe $5000-$10,000) to come to MSJ-- saying (winking & nudging) that it's related to football-- when it's really just a financial aid offer--then, when these guys get to school, spend ALL their time focusing a football, and get grades below the threshold required to "keep their scholarship", MSJ tells them "Well, we told you that you had to maintain at least a 3.0 GPA" (or whatever the threshold was), and then says "We can't renew your scholarship, but you're welcome to keep attending MSJ, and continue playing football."-- MSJ hopes that, by that time, these guys have become immersed in the school, and developed relationships (with their coaches and teammates, if not their classmates)-- and they will choose to (somehow) find a way to keep paying the full tuition, even without the "scholarship"-- this is the only way that marginal schools like MSJ can get HS grads (especially boys-- to go to what USED to be an all-girls college) to pay double or TRIPLE the tuition cost to go to Miami ($17,055 in 2023) or UC ($13,176 in 2023) to attend a lower-ranked, lesser resourced school like MSJ ($35,450 in 2023)...

This is a scam, and MSJ should be ashamed to be perpetrating it (and I say that as someone with a fond place in my heart for MSJ, as numerous relatives of mine attended there, when it was all-girls-- and DIRT CHEAP-- because the nuns did most of the teaching and administration, essentially for free)-- but this is an existential question for small, private, lower-ranked schools like MSJ-- they could NOT continue to exist, if they didn't manage to convince a decent number of boys to fall for this shell game (it's part of why MSJ went co-ed-- and CERTAINLY the reason that they then added sports like football).

Dayton is competing in NCAA Division I football (albeit the Football Championship Subdivision-- or FCS-- which means MUCH lower levels of spending on competition-- as, for example is done in the Ivy and Patriot Leagues)-- but Dayton can (and presumably DOES) give actual athletic "grants-in-aid"-- as all NCAA Division I schools are permitted to do.

BUT, ALL of these lesser-ranked private schools (Dayton, Xavier, Thomas More, MSJ, etc., etc.) give "academic scholarships" to ordinary students, that are really just financial aid, disguised as merit scholarships-- when's the last time you met ANYONE who was going to one of those schools, who DIDN'T tell you that the school gave them a big "academic scholarship" to come there? It's just like car dealers showing you the MSRP on a car in lesser demand-- that price is wishful thinking by the dealer-- and he's ALWAYS going to offer you some "great deal" or "bargain" at a "special price" JUST for you--because NOBODY with anything on the ball is paying MSRP for a car, unless it's some limited edition model, in high demand.

The same is true if you are any private college NOT named Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Duke, Chicago, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, etc.-- you are substantially discounting your nominal list price, tactically, to get students in the door who are STILL going to pay WELL above the established going rate to attend your school-- when, even WITH the "academic scholarship", that same student could go to a higher-rated public college right down the road-- and for CONSIDERABLY less: if MSJ gives a kid a $10,000 "academic scholarship", he's STILL paying ~$25,000/year -- $12,000 MORE than he would pay to go to UC WITHOUT any "academic scholarship"-- to go to a school that is lower-ranked, with fewer course offerings, majors, and academic resources... That's a BIG premium, just to say that you're getting a Catholic education (the other retort that you sometimes hear, from people trying to justify their otherwise irrational decision)-- you could audit a couple of theology classes on the side (at UC, XU, or Thomas More) for NOT nearly $12,000-- and say the same thing.

Those "academic scholarships" are a farce-- by NCAA by-laws for Division III, the awards can NOT be directly tied or related to playing a sport (and if you press the coach who is "recruiting" you, they will admit that to you)-- they are determined by the financial aid office, and NOT by the football program.

It's also a bait & switch program, used by private schools (like Mount St. Joseph), to get gullible guys (often with questionable academic records), who want to keep playing football in college after not being recruited, to enroll there: MSJ offers these guys an "academic scholarship" (maybe $5000-$10,000) to come to MSJ-- saying (winking & nudging) that it's related to football-- when it's really just a financial aid offer--then, when these guys get to school, spend ALL their time focusing a football, and get grades below the threshold required to "keep their scholarship", MSJ tells them "Well, we told you that you had to maintain at least a 3.0 GPA" (or whatever the threshold was), and then says "We can't renew your scholarship, but you're welcome to keep attending MSJ, and continue playing football."-- MSJ hopes that, by that time, these guys have become immersed in the school, and developed relationships (with their coaches and teammates, if not their classmates)-- and they will choose to (somehow) find a way to keep paying the full tuition, even without the "scholarship"-- this is the only way that marginal schools like MSJ can get HS grads (especially boys-- to go to what USED to be an all-girls college) to pay double or TRIPLE the tuition cost to go to Miami ($17,055 in 2023) or UC ($13,176 in 2023) to attend a lower-ranked, lesser resourced school like MSJ ($35,450 in 2023)...

This is a scam, and MSJ should be ashamed to be perpetrating it (and I say that as someone with a fond place in my heart for MSJ, as numerous relatives of mine attended there, when it was all-girls-- and DIRT CHEAP-- because the nuns did most of the teaching and administration, essentially for free)-- but this is an existential question for small, private, lower-ranked schools like MSJ-- they could NOT continue to exist, if they didn't manage to convince a decent number of boys to fall for this shell game (it's part of why MSJ went co-ed-- and CERTAINLY the reason that they then added sports like football).

Dayton is competing in NCAA Division I football (albeit the Football Championship Subdivision-- or FCS-- which means MUCH lower levels of spending on competition-- as, for example is done in the Ivy and Patriot Leagues)-- but Dayton can (and presumably DOES) give actual athletic "grants-in-aid"-- as all NCAA Division I schools are permitted to do.

BUT, ALL of these lesser-ranked private schools (Dayton, Xavier, Thomas More, MSJ, etc., etc.) give "academic scholarships" to ordinary students, that are really just financial aid, disguised as merit scholarships-- when's the last time you met ANYONE who was going to one of those schools, who DIDN'T tell you that the school gave them a big "academic scholarship" to come there? It's just like car dealers showing you the MSRP on a car in lesser demand-- that price is wishful thinking by the dealer-- and he's ALWAYS going to offer you some "great deal" or "bargain" at a "special price" JUST for you--because NOBODY with anything on the ball is paying MSRP for a car, unless it's some limited edition model, in high demand.

The same is true if you are any private college NOT named Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Duke, Chicago, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, etc.-- you are substantially discounting your nominal list price, tactically, to get students in the door who are STILL going to pay WELL above the established going rate to attend your school-- when, even WITH the "academic scholarship", that same student could go to a higher-rated public college right down the road-- and for CONSIDERABLY less: if MSJ gives a kid a $10,000 "academic scholarship", he's STILL paying ~$25,000/year -- $12,000 MORE than he would pay to go to UC WITHOUT any "academic scholarship"-- to go to a school that is lower-ranked, with fewer course offerings, majors, and academic resources... That's a BIG premium, just to say that you're getting a Catholic education (the other retort that you sometimes hear, from people trying to justify their otherwise irrational decision)-- you could audit a couple of theology classes on the side (at UC, XU, or Thomas More) for NOT nearly $12,000-- and say the same thing.
Agree - it's kind of like being asked to be on a "select" team. You're so excited they picked you, you pay way more than you should just to feel welcomed into a new group.

Why on earth are these private schools so expensive anyway? How is MSJ any different than NKU in terms of cost to educate? Would seem to very similar but with drastically different costs.

This is correct. The entire Pioneer League is set up like that. They offer no full ride athletic scholarships, but most players receive academic scholarships and/or federal grants. That is a FCS football only conference. Apologies to 4GX for answering, but familiar with that conference.
Dayton is competing in NCAA Division I-- but the Football Championship (Sub)Division (FCS), instead of the more prominent Football Bowl (Sub)Division (FBS)-- and FCS members often voluntarily choose to limit spending on athletics (e.g.- Patriot League and Ivy League)-- but, ALL NCAA Division I schools ARE able to give full athletic grants-in-aid (athletic scholarships) in Division I, even in the FCS, if the schools choose to-- so it is NOT analogous to the rules in NCAA Division III--where athletic scholarships are expressly forbidden.

I'd bet that Dayton's scholarships in football (which are COMPLETELY different from what Dayton does in basketball-- where Dayton competes at the highest level, and gives traditional athletic grants-in-aid)-- are often just financial aid (which is what you mean, when you say "federal grants"-- e.g.- Pell Grants, PSL's, etc.)-- even the "academic scholarships" are really just local institution controlled (instead of federally controlled) financial aid-- that Dayton doles out based on need-- but dubs "academic aid" to get around voluntary prohibitions on giving an outright athletic grant-in-aid in Dayton's Pioneer League... I'd be willing to bet a sizable sum that those athletes getting "academic scholarships" on Dayton's football team would NOT be able to justify being awarded that money over a LARGE number of their other fellow Dayton students-- based on either their academic record coming out of HS, or their academic record while at Dayton.

Either way, trying to mix Division I rules (even in FCS) with Division III rules is just muddying the waters here. Dayton is NOT competing in NCAA Division III in football.

Agree - it's kind of like being asked to be on a "select" team. You're so excited they picked you, you pay way more than you should just to feel welcomed into a new group.

Why on earth are these private schools so expensive anyway? How is MSJ any different than NKU in terms of cost to educate? Would seem to very similar but with drastically different costs.
You've heard that states provide subsidies that underwrite (at least part of) the cost of providing education at public universities, right? It's done with tax dollars-- those bills you pay annually to (often) the city, state, and country that you live in... You can't possibly be unaware of this, can you?

When did going 6 for 11 67 yards, 1 TD, 1 Pick, 1 Fumble become acceptable at a school like St. X? Simply not the standard at the QB position and I'm guessing #3 could match or succeed this stat line. Throw in his ability to run rock, keep plays alive and throw in some RPOs it would give defenses a lot to deal with.

Good assessment of football at the lower levels. Many of the smaller schools use football as a means of recruiting students to the school. It is why Xavier is currently considering adding football. This has become more true as the number of males enrolled in college continues to fall.

This does not mean that a kid playing football at a UD or DII or DIII school can't have a great experience, far from it. But if a high school football player (even one who doesn't see the field) wants to play in college they will find a school that will offer them a spot on the team.

When did going 6 for 11 67 yards, 1 TD, 1 Pick, 1 Fumble become acceptable at a school like St. X? Simply not the standard at the QB position and I'm guessing #3 could match or succeed this stat line. Throw in his ability to run rock, keep plays alive and throw in some RPOs it would give defenses a lot to deal with.
Since the focus has shifted to the running game.
Coverdale is doing what some claimed he couldn't - design his offense according to player strengths.
The Bombers have 2 exceptional RBs, 1 decent RB, an average QB and 4 decent receivers

Since the focus has shifted to the running game.
Coverdale is doing what some claimed he couldn't - design his offense according to player strengths.
The Bombers have 2 exceptional RBs, 1 decent RB, an average QB and 4 decent receivers
Let's not get too excited... he did this for a half. I do agree that the measure for success is different per QB and system. I'd be interested to look back at the numbers for Jaime Doxsey in 92, Sherer in '05, and Massa in '07 in comparison because those were all run first teams.

Don't forget, "he threw some nice spirals" was added to those stats as a justification for it being decent.

Don't forget, "he threw some nice spirals" was added to those stats as a justification for it being decent.
I sense you feel like I shorted him a few adjectives.
Ok, he threw some nice, tight, perfect, easy to catch, longitudinal axis rotating spirals.
That may have overdone it

Let's not get too excited... he did this for a half. I do agree that the measure for success is different per QB and system. I'd be interested to look back at the numbers for Jaime Doxsey in 92, Sherer in '05, and Massa in '07 in comparison because those were all run first teams.
All 4 of those teams had better defenses than the '23 Bombers (IMO)

I'd be interested to look back at the numbers for Sherer in '05 in comparison
Brad Scherer averaged just 70 yards passing and 37 yards rushing per game.
His job was to not turn the ball over and get it into the hands of Ashley, Cionni, Hobson, Robinson and McFarland
He completed just 45% of his passes but the offense was run heavy scoring 40 rushing TDs to just 11 passing TDs on the season.
X rushed for 3,385 yards and passed 1,115 yards (75% rush, 25% pass)
The 2005 defense may have been the best in Bomber history
They allowed just 1.7 points and 162 yards per game, 5 games were shutouts and in 3 games opponents scored just 7 points.
X was +22 (15 to 37) in takeaways, never having more turnovers in a game than their opponents.
They recovered 13 fumbles and had 24 interceptions
In comparison the '23 defense is giving up 16.8 points per game.
The '23 defense is even in takeaways, with the Moe game an aberration 5 TO's to 1

I'd be interested to look back at the numbers for Massa in '07 in comparison because those were all run first teams.
Hurley and Massa threw for 2,084 yards, 21 TDs and 7 INTs and a rating >150.
They completed 62% of their passes and averaged 139 yards per game
The leading receivers were Danny Milligan (564 yards) and Jon Scheidler (551 yards)
A trio of senior RBs combined for 2,711 yards (205 yards per game) and 25 TDs
Darius Ashley (1,584 yards and 17 TDs), Luca Romeo (619 and 5 TDs) and Patrick Berning (508 yards and 3 TDs).
They rushed for 3,142 yards and passed for 2,084 yards (60% rush, 40% pass)
The 2007 defense per game averages allowed 2.8 points and 212 yards

I'd be interested to look back at the numbers for Jaime Doxsey in 92 in comparison because those were all run first teams.
This was the first Bomber offense to play in a state final and was led by QB Jaime Doxsey
His favorite targets were WR Kevin Sasson, TE Kevin Cohill and TE P.J. Herrington.
But the bulk of their explosiveness was from the rushing of senior Scott Sollman (1st Team All Ohio) and junior Kevin Ritter.
Sollman had over 2,500 all purpose yards on the season and scored a remarkable 34 TDs in 14 games.
Sollman's numbers broken down: 1,215 rushing yards, 907 yards on kick returns and 390 yards pass receiving
Doxsey rushed for 937 yards on 130 carries and threw for almost 1,000 yards and Ritter rushed for 814 yards
Team totals were 2,966 yards rushing and 987 yards passing (75% rush, 25% pass)