Week 5: The Evil Empire

Vollmer is the real deal. He can kill you with his arm or his legs. With a year to grow and learn l see him as a serious threat to start on varsity next year. As for the game, it definitely wasnt as close as the score. I think X had at least 4 interceptions and a couple of big plays/TDs called back. The freshman class has some dudes

Vollmer is the real deal. He can kill you with his arm or his legs. With a year to grow and learn l see him as a serious threat to start on varsity next year. As for the game, it definitely wasnt as close as the score. I think X had at least 4 interceptions and a couple of big plays/TDs called back. The freshman class has some dudes
Very entertaining game. X QB is very good. Perhaps the best player on the field. Not sure how this bodes for the current QB or the rising Soph, but it is not a bad problem to have. Both reams squandered scoring opportunities as Moeller rotated 3 QBs by my count. None were particularly effective. Lots to look forward to in the coming years. Congrats to the young Bombers for now. GBM

I wasn't going to say that, trying to be modest, but you're right. After 1st quarter it wasn't as close as score appeared. Moeller keeps a small speedster on their squad. Vollmer is going to push for starting Varsity next year. Mark it down.
The current starter QB at ST. X varsity is Junior, seems to get better each week. If he finishes strong, he will be hard to replace as a senior. Be careful to anoint the next savior (Freshman), I have seen this time and time again at Elder, LaSalle, Moeller and X, so much changes from Freshman year to Senior year.

Freshmen take care of business 14-6 BOMBERS!
StX 14 Mini Evil Empire 6

2nd Qtr

X D. Vollmer 81 yard TD run, XP good; X 7-0

3rd Qtr
M 28 yard TD run, XP no good; X 7-6
X McDonald 8 yard TD run: XP good; X 14-6
Final TD drive sustained by 23 yard run by D. Vollmer on 3rd and 7 and a 10 yard run by Max Vollmer on 2nd and 15.

Next vs Elder at RDI Stadium next Wednesday

Yes. 😕 I don’t think it was as close as the score either.

I have not seen Herbstreit’s kid yet—that will be this Saturday (I assume). But, I believe that frosh QB at X could be hot on his tail for the starting gig next year.

On the other hand, I have seen very little in the way of QB potential in Moe’s frosh or soph class at this point. 🤔
The QB competition at camp next spring is going to be insane.

We have documented how former QBs at X switch positions to get on the varsity field (this year it was Fitzgerald and Weber)

These 3 (O'Malley, Herbstreit and Vollmer) are all likely college QBs so the chance they change position are slim.
The good news is they are in different classes so it just may be a matter of waiting their turn.

The thought that they change schools has been brought up but people cite these facts......they are at StX primarily for the quality education and experience, they want to learn and develop in Coverdale's system and the 2016-2017 experience with Wolf (Wisconsin) and Clifford (Penn State) shows that 2 Big Ten QBs can exist on the same team and win a state championship

Coverdale can't wait to get these frosh in his system next season; but what about this season?
How many are going to get pulled up to varsity after the frosh season ends in a few weeks?
They wouldn't use Vollmer at QB but definitely could use him as a RB or receiver.
Cam Taylor a deep threat addition to the receiving corps? Grant Hester a 250lb punter?
Safety Aden Reeder on kickoff or punt coverage (like Cole Jones his frosh year)?

Great game. I absolutely hate Coverdale's red zone play calling. It's been a problem since he's been here. Great for big plays, but in short yardage it's awful.

Great game. I absolutely hate Coverdale's red zone play calling. It's been a problem since he's been here. Great for big plays, but in short yardage it's awful.
His play calling in tight games and in the red zone is flat out bad. That 3rd down call from the 1 was horrible. Give your qb a chance to dump it quick or get it with his legs. That possession cost X the game.

His play calling in tight games and in the red zone is flat out bad. That 3rd down call from the 1 was horrible. Give your qb a chance to dump it quick or get it with his legs. That possession cost X the game.
Wit SS being more conservative by nature, I wonder how long he's going to be willing to put up with that. The last drive was typical of Cov forcing his system instead of recognizing what the strength of his team is. The stretch play hasn't worked all year, and Moe had snuffed any WR screen all night- like every defense has this year. Draws, traps, inside runs, and screens had been effective all night, and the Moeller interior line was tired. There was still two minutes left with the ball at the 50, and the clock stops when the chains move, so enough time to run the ball and quick outs to get 30 yards and kick a field goal. Instead more deep drops with the tackles not good enough to handle the outside rush, and two sacks that pretty much ended the game.

Why you're throwing the ball in that 3rd and 1 situation with an inexperienced QB and a good power run game is just beyond me, especially knowing a FG makes the lead 7. So frustrating to lose two games because the short yardage offense can't get it done. This team could easily be 3-1 and in position for the 1 seed in R4.

There were a few decisions made on the Moe side that were “not so good” as well.

Great to get out of there with a win, but Moe is only going as far as 24 takes them.

JV defeats Mid Evil Empire 14-7 to improve to 3-1

2nd Qtr
X 32 yard TD run #22 PJ Roberson, XP blocked; X 6-0
EE 6 yard TD run XP good; EE 7-6
3rd Qtr
X 2 yard TD plunge #8 Herbstreit, 2 pt conversion good; X 14-7
2 pt conversion: Herbstreit hands off to Lehman who pitches to Soloria who passes to Herbstreit

2nd Qtr
3rd Qtr
2 pt conversion: Herbstreit hands off to Lehman who pitches to Soloria who passes to Herbstreit
Thanks ReJect GBM

2nd Qtr
3rd Qtr
Again, meh to frosh and JV games. But, seeing all 3 levels of Moe v X in person this year, I’d take that frosh you guys have and he’d be the varsity starter next year.

Again, meh to frosh and JV games. But, seeing all 3 levels of Moe v X in person this year, I’d take that frosh you guys have and he’d be the varsity starter next year.
Is this what you're thinking?

2023 X Offense
QB Daniel Vollmer So. 6’2” 190lb
RB #4 Steve Napier Sr. 5’10” 197lb
WR #20 Drew Weber Sr. 5’10” 180lb
WR #80 Jack McClatchey Sr. 6’1” 175lb
TE Jake Wassler Jr. 6’7” 230lb
TE #87 Luke Klare Sr. 6'5" 200lb
LT #79 Tucker Kattus Jr. 6’5” 260lb offers from Kentucky and Miami OH / #74
LG Elijah DuBois Jr. 5’9” 250lb
C #54 Andrew Jennings Sr. 6’3” 225lb
RG #68 Charlie Lynch Jr. 5’11” 230lb
RT #58 Eric Fleetwood Jr. 6’3” 288lb

And for defense, maybe this?

2023 X Defense
RE #90 Nate Brice Sr. 6’0” 215lb
NG #97 Ted Hammond Sr. 6'5” 260lb offers from Vanderbilt, Temple, UMass, UConn and Miami (OH)
LE #63 Gordy Sulfsted Jr. 6’4” 222lb
OLB (Jet) #37 Justin Kattus Sr. 6’1” 220lb
MLB (Sam) #38 Noah Beck Sr. 6’2” 230lb
OLB (Will) Matt Schulte Jr. 6’2” 187lb
Adj #34 Gus Folke Sr. 6'0" 180lb
SS Aden Reeder So. 6’1” 171lb
FS #5 Lucas Bishop Jr. 5’9” 161lb
CB #17 Macen Hall Sr. 6’1” 178lb
CB #28 Shane Strayhorn Jr. 5’11” 150lb

In the spirit of this week, I bounced back to the EE post from last year and found this little gem.....

Some head scratchers on a handful of these that didn't materialize this year.
A couple of surprises in terms of current player allocations versus predictions.

2023 X Offense
2023 X Defense
NG #97 Ted Hammond Sr. 6'5” 260lb offers from Vanderbilt, Temple, UMass, UConn and Miami (OH)

Last edited:
In the spirit of this week, I bounced back to the EE post from last year and found this little gem.....

Some head scratchers on a handful of these that didn't materialize this year.
A couple of surprises in terms of current player allocations versus predictions.

2023 X Offense
2023 X Defense
All in all, do you feel the staff made the right decisions where there was movement?

All in all, do you feel the staff made the right decisions where there was movement?
For the most part the actual line up makes sense. The offense continues to “evolve” - not sure their true identity has been discovered. Obviously there were a couple guys that opted out for the year - Wassler at 6’9” TE would have been interesting. The influx of Sophomores on offense wasn’t taken into consideration but I’d say the additions have been positive. Really like Justin Kattus on the line with his “little” brother. Some growing pains to work through but all in all, good baseline to grow into the next two years, WR lineup hasn’t had the chance to develop with the QB situation, Time will tell if they will be utilized to their full potential. I’’m not touching the QB situation - not really sure where that is or where it goes from here.

Defensively, the predicted versus the actual is the same baseline story - no sophomores were taken into consideration when the predictions were made. Clapper is a stud where ever you put him, Really like his quickness to the ball. Should be a fun two years to see him evolve. Defensive line is as advertised. Sulfsted did some major maturing over the summer and has proven to be a force on the end. I would have put Brice as Guard and Hammond as the other end but they seem to mix it up pretty well. The backers are smart and read the offense well. There are some options that don’t seem to be utilized this year as predicted. Future looks good with the class of ‘25 for next year, Secondary will graduate some talent at the end of the season but there seems to be some good options to backfill next season.

Your thoughts??

Flew a drone over EE practice field this afternoon and #24 looks 100%.
A game of deception before the game?
No. Bathiany is not Hayden Fox and Marshall is not Bo Whitley. This is not the Pineapple Bowl. Out.

Moe’s passing game is key to this one.

Last edited: