Week 5 Mentor (2-2) @ Cleveland Heights (3-1)

Cleveland Heights is proud, as they should be.

Mentor has work to-do and I remain confident that the team that we see in the playoffs will look much different than what we saw last night.
True. It starts with getting your starting QB back. But besides that, Mentor had a lot more positives in Weeks 4 and 5 compared to Weeks 1-3. So if the team continues to improve and gets/stays healthy (along with hopefully a favorable bracket on the other side of St Eds), a regional final appearance is achievable.

What was a frustrating offensive night in a lot of ways (execution, player availability, and play calling) was a game in which Mentor’s defense did everything you could’ve asked and more. The point of attack up front was winning the battle in the trenches. Because if they didn’t, “Do it Allllll” Davis (you had to be there) would just eat you up.

Cleveland Heights stacked the box all night, making life very difficult for Pearce, the running game, and the offense. Somehow there were some first downs and positive drives sprinkled throughout the game. It started to pay off late in the game, but for the most part the aggressive passing approach by Gray bit the team in the butt more often than not.

It was clear to me that this was going to be a game Mentor would have to win ugly. The interceptions really hurt. There were more opportunities for field goals that were squashed by picks. They were a result of a lack of precision and execution as well as Gray putting Pearce in some difficult passing situations.

Outside of the Cards fans, not a lot of people are sad to see Mentor lose. It's good to see the bully get a bloody nose once in a while!

Outside of the Cards fans, not a lot of people are sad to see Mentor lose. It's good to see the bully get a bloody nose once in a while!
In Lake-Geauga County, they are not a bully but a program to aspire to be like. Especially because they're the only D1 school in the area. Even with all the recent program changes (mainly coaching), it still hasn't changed. They are taking their lumps this year, but are clearly still an elite program in Northeast Ohio

Last edited:
In what way has the Mentor Football program acted as the bully? Perhaps you're mistaking hard work and commitment that has translated into success over the years as bullish behavior.

This sounds more like you have a victim mentality and see everyone who succeeds as taking advantage of you, or bullying. Grow up, suck it up, and learn how to grind instead of whining.

And, no one has said this but I will now. Cleveland Heights squeeked out a win by scoring one more point than Mentor did; there was no bloody nose. A Mentor team, who admittedly is building toward the end of the season. A Mentor team who was playing with a fresh QB and a banged up defense. A banged up defense who held Mr. Marquise wonderful gift to all who are in his presence do it all Davis(if you attended this makes sense)to what must be a season low performance - not impressed. Enjoy your victory and we sincerely hope to see you in a few weeks.

Last edited:
In what way has the Mentor Football program acted as the bully? Perhaps you're mistaking hard work and commitment that has translated into success over the years as bullish behavior.

This sounds more like you have a victim mentality and see everyone who succeeds as taking advantage of you, or bullying. Grow up, suck it up, and learn how to grind instead of whining.

And, no one has said this but I will now. Cleveland Heights squeeked out a win by scoring one more point than Mentor did; there was no bloody nose. A Mentor team, who admittedly is building toward the end of the season. A Mentor team who was playing with a fresh QB and a banged up defense. A banged up defense who held Mr. Marquise wonderful gift to all who are in his presence do it all Davis(if you attended this makes sense)to what must be a season low performance - not impressed. Enjoy your victory and we sincerely hope to see you in a few weeks.
Yeah this exact response is why a lot of people around NEO are smiling lol. Just unnecessarily salty over a high school game. I mean we're telling people to grow up in the first paragraph just to mock a gifted kid in the third paragraph...

I think you are maybe taking the term "bully" a bit too literally. I think he means the bully on the block like a compliment to Mentor's program.

Also you aren't even responding to a Heights fan. You are responding to a Strongsville fan. Mentor plays Strongsville Oct 13, so your hopes have been answered!!

You seem a bit perturbed and emotional TBH by your tone.

Also I was at the game, the Do it all comments don't make sense unless you are referring to the PA announcer. I assume that is what the Heights fans refer to him as.

Have a wonderful weekend.

I think you are maybe taking the term "bully" a bit too literally. I think he means the bully on the block like a compliment to Mentor's program.

Also you aren't even responding to a Heights fan. You are responding to a Strongsville fan. Mentor plays Strongsville Oct 13, so your hopes have been answered!!

You seem a bit perturbed and emotional TBH by your tone.

Also I was at the game, the Do it all comments don't make sense unless you are referring to the PA announcer. I assume that is what the Heights fans refer to him as.

Have a wonderful weekend.
Thank you for offering some clarity on the home base of the author of the original post. That might give the Strongsville game a little more meaning.

I think the bloodied nose comment let it be known that it wasn't a compliment; not even a backhanded one. That's ok, victim mentality lovers need to find an oppressor ro blame for their lot in life rather than looming in the mirror.

I'm not actually perturbed, salry, or overly emotional about the game, nor some crybaby saying things on Yappi in my real life. This is entertaining and when I see a topic or a post that seems fun to comment on I do.

The running back from Cleveland Heights has posts, media hype, and pages promoting his offers and greatness. My statement is that with all the hype and over the top promotion by their announcer we were expecting to see more. The Mentor defense effectively neutralized him and left us unimpressed. Could his stats be the product of running all over lesser opponents? When he/they meet a better suited defense does he keep putting up high yardage or does it look like it did on Friday nigjt? We'll see....

Yeah this exact response is why a lot of people around NEO are smiling lol. Just unnecessarily salty over a high school game. I mean we're telling people to grow up in the first paragraph just to mock a gifted kid in the third paragraph...
Wasn't mocking the player, but rather fhe announcer and the hype. We're people impressed by what #1 showed? No..

Wasn't mocking the player, but rather fhe announcer and the hype. Were people impressed by what #1 showed? No..

And I'm not salty as I sit back and write, I'm having fun with words and illiciting a response ...it's a game. Do I think the statement that Mentor is a bully who got their collective noses bloodied is unfounded? Yes, I do and I think the author may be a victim whiner.

Wasn't mocking the player, but rather fhe announcer and the hype. Were people impressed by what #1 showed? No..

And I'm not salty as I sit back and write, I'm having fun with words and illiciting a response ...it's a game. Do I think the statement that Mentor is a bully who got their collective noses bloodied is unfounded? Yes, I do and I think the author may be a victim whiner.
Why are you taking that sentnece so literal dude? And somehow youre just having a play on words but you have this guy diagnosed as a victim whiner because of his words...I dont know man lol

Why are you taking that sentnece so literal dude? And somehow youre just having a play on words but you have this guy diagnosed as a victim whiner because of his words...I dont know man lol
It is what it is. Over this at this point. On to the next one

Thank you for offering some clarity on the home base of the author of the original post. That might give the Strongsville game a little more meaning.

I think the bloodied nose comment let it be known that it wasn't a compliment; not even a backhanded one. That's ok, victim mentality lovers need to find an oppressor ro blame for their lot in life rather than looming in the mirror.

I'm not actually perturbed, salry, or overly emotional about the game, nor some crybaby saying things on Yappi in my real life. This is entertaining and when I see a topic or a post that seems fun to comment on I do.

The running back from Cleveland Heights has posts, media hype, and pages promoting his offers and greatness. My statement is that with all the hype and over the top promotion by their announcer we were expecting to see more. The Mentor defense effectively neutralized him and left us unimpressed. Could his stats be the product of running all over lesser opponents? When he/they meet a better suited defense does he keep putting up high yardage or does it look like it did on Friday nigjt?
I believe Davis is listed as an ATH and pretty sure Ohio State at least is recruiting him at DB at the next level. I wouldn't worry too much about what you saw from him at RB. I mean offers are offers..most heavily recruited player are going to post their offers. I know who is recruiting Bo Jackson at VASJ and the young players at Hoban for instance (the CB and OT) Hill and Greer I believe.

It seems odd to be concerned about the PA announcer at a road game. It comes across as condescending and a bit judgemental. Who cares about social media and PA announcers for another team?

As a Heights alum, I don't really have an opinion on Trey McNutt, Bryce West's, Danny Stoddard's or the Armstrong twins social media page or what their PA announcers call him at their home games LMAO. Or what Mentor's PA announcer called. Mitch Trubisky back in the day at Mentor lol.

But you do you. You sound like the PA announcer and social media police for NE Ohio HS football lol.

Good luck against Strongsville and maybe Mentor and Heights match-up again..ideally in Mentor so we don't have to heat that PA announcer lol and I can hear Mentor's . Haven't been out there in several years.

EDIT- I stand corrected..Davis is listed as RB, but he can do it all as they say. I follow Ohio State recruiting pretty heavily as you can obviously tell, and he is a DB in their eyes.

I believe Davis is listed as an ATH and pretty sure Ohio State at least is recruiting him at DB at the next level. I wouldn't worry too much about what you saw from him at RB. I mean offers are offers..most heavily recruited player are going to post their offers. I know who is recruiting Bo Jackson at VASJ and the young players at Hoban for instance (the CB and OT) Hill and Greer I believe.

It seems odd to be concerned about the PA announcer at a road game. It comes across as condescending and a bit judgemental. Who cares about social media and PA announcers for another team?

As a Heights alum, I don't really have an opinion on Trey McNutt, Bryce West's, Danny Stoddard's or the Armstrong twins social media page or what their PA announcers call him at their home games LMAO. Or what Mentor's PA announcer called. Mitch Trubisky back in the day at Mentor lol.

But you do you. You sound like the PA announcer and social media police for NE Ohio HS football lol.

Good luck against Strongsville and maybe Mentor and Heights match-up again..ideally in Mentor so we don't have to heat that PA announcer lol and I can hear Mentor's . Haven't been out there in several years.
Yawn.....

EDIT- I stand corrected..Davis is listed as RB, but he can do it all as they say. I follow Ohio State recruiting pretty heavily as you can obviously tell, and he is a DB in their eyes.

Though the P.A. announcer was quite entertaining (we all laughed at him), the spotter did a poor job of recognizing who made tackles for Mentor's defense. Because that wasn't always announced.
On a side note Good luck to Davis. Glad he stayed and played for the home team instead of taking his talents to the private schools.

Mentor blows Heights out with Fox. Offense was terrible but still almost got it done
Does it really bother you that Heights and Shaker are one and two in the GCC?

This was a defensive struggle. Neither team performed exceedingly well on offense. Fox might have made a difference. There's also the possibility that Heights might have stopped him. Fox's backup was not a slouch.

You're a fan so you want to beleve that Mentor is better than Heights. I get it, but bottom line is that you guys lost a very hard fought game.

You could argue that if Kelce's healthy, Chiefs win week one. If Chubb doesn't go down, Browns beat the Steelers ..... could go on and on ... woulda, coulda, shoulda ..... it's a fans way of thinking, but when it's all said and done, a win is a win regardless of who was playing.

And, no one has said this but I will now. Cleveland Heights squeeked out a win by scoring one more point than Mentor did; there was no bloody nose. A Mentor team, who admittedly is building toward the end of the season. A Mentor team who was playing with a fresh QB and a banged up defense. A banged up defense who held Mr. Marquise wonderful gift to all who are in his presence do it all Davis(if you attended this makes sense)to what must be a season low performance - not impressed. Enjoy your victory and we sincerely hope to see

You mention Mentor's beat up defense, but Heights had a starting linebacker break his ankle in week one and Ethan Golden, a starting defensive back, has been out all year with a bad back. In addition, all you have to do is look at the Heights sideline to see that they were banged up as well.

Again, why is it so hard to give both teams credit for their positives in this game?

Does it really bother you that Heights and Shaker are one and two in the GCC?

This was a defensive struggle. Neither team performed exceedingly well on offense. Fox might have made a difference. There's also the possibility that Heights might have stopped him. Fox's backup was not a slouch.

You're a fan so you want to beleve that Mentor is better than Heights. I get it, but bottom line is that you guys lost a very hard fought game.

You could argue that if Kelce's healthy, Chiefs win week one. If Chubb doesn't go down, Browns beat the Steelers ..... could go on and on ... woulda, coulda, shoulda ..... it's a fans way of thinking, but when it's all said and done, a win is a win regardless of who was playing.
It's an obvious dropoff from a highly recruited QB in Fox to a guy that has never played and can't be accurate beyond 5 yards. Yes the backup was night and day from Fox. Get real

So yes I maintain that Mentor kills Heights with Fox. Heights didn't impress me at all. Nothing to do with fandom. I know Mentor is better than Heights this year. Having the starting QB out and still going to OT showed that ...

Heights is something like 4-20 against Mentor all time so enjoy it. But to act like it's the same as beating Mentor without their QB is funny

Ps: Shaker is 5-0 with the soft part of their schedule. Wouldn't shock me if they lose their final 5 games. Their 5 wins are vs teams who are a combined 4-21 overall

Heights isn't at the top of the GCC. I expect Medina to beat them pretty good just as Mentor does with Fox at QB.

Mentor isn't a top tier type team but they are still one of the best two GCC teams at full strength with Medina

Last edited:
It's an obvious dropoff from a highly recruited QB in Fox to a guy that has never played and can't be accurate beyond 5 yards. Yes the backup was night and day from Fox. Get real

So yes I maintain that Mentor kills Heights with Fox. Heights didn't impress me at all. Nothing to do with fandom. I know Mentor is better than Heights this year. Having the starting QB out and still going to OT showed that ...

Heights is something like 4-20 against Mentor all time so enjoy it. But to act like it's the same as beating Mentor without their QB is funny

Ps: Shaker is 5-0 with the soft part of their schedule. Wouldn't shock me if they lose their final 5 games. Their 5 wins are vs teams who are a combined 4-21 overall

Heights isn't at the top of the GCC. I expect Medina to beat them pretty good just as Mentor does with Fox at QB.

Mentor isn't a top tier type team but they are still one of the best two GCC teams at full strength with Medina
You're whining like a little kid.
Difference between you and I, is that I don't feel the need to put other teams down. Maybe Mentor beats Heights with Fox or maybe they don't.
Maybe Heights loses to Medina or maybe they don't.
As for Heights not being at the top of the GCC, sorry pal, your whining doesn't change the records.
Maybe most important thing to point out here is that we're talking about a high school football game. You're responses are way out of line. Why not calm down and enjoy the kids having a friendly competition?

Last edited:

Cleveland Heights is literally at the top of the standings in the GCC in real life lol. Mentor is not. The end.

You're whining like a little kid.
Difference between you and I, is that I don't feel the need to put other teams down. Maybe Mentor beats Heights with Fox or maybe they don't.
Maybe Heights loses to Medina or maybe they don't.
As for Heights not being at the top of the GCC, sorry pal, your whining doesn't change the records.
Maybe most important thing to point out here is that we're talking about a high school football game. You're responses are way out of line. Why not calm down and enjoy the kids having a friendly competition?
It's not whining at all. It's the truth. If it offends you, oh well. I don't think heights is very good at all.

Cleveland Heights is literally at the top of the standings in the GCC in real life lol. Mentor is not. The end.
They won a game vs Mentor without our starting QB on a two point conversion in OT. They weren't impressive to me at all. I maintain we are better than them at full strength and so is Medina. We will see who is right. I'm not going to ignore the obvious difference between the QBs like you guys are trying to do.

They won a game vs Mentor without our starting QB on a two point conversion in OT. They weren't impressive to me at all. I maintain we are better than them at full strength and so is Medina. We will see who is right. I'm not going to ignore the obvious difference between the QBs like you guys are trying to do.
But they are at the top of the GCC as of 9/21/2023. Mentor is not. Im not necessarily impressed with almost collapsing vs a Massilon Jackson team who barely beat Mayfield or losing to the worst Iggy team since color Television but I digress

Both games played with the QB*

But they are at the top of the GCC as of 9/21/2023. Mentor is not. Im not necessarily impressed with almost collapsing vs a Massilon Jackson team who barely beat Mayfield or losing to the worst Iggy team since color Television but I digress

Both games played with the QB*
I don't think Mentor is a top tier team by their standards but yeah I think they are better than Cleveland Heights.

You guys seem like the types who would take credit for your NFL team beating the Chiefs with Chad Henne at QB instead of Patrick Mahomes and act like it's the same exact thing . The dropoff for Mentor was gigantic at QB and they lost on a 2 point conversion vs Heights in OT

The QB is by far the most important position for Mentor and their system. It was night and day

Again if it offends you guys, I don't really care. I don't think Heights is good at all. I think Medina beats you pretty good but I'll eat crow if it doesn't happen.

PS: Shorted us some wins in the all time series. Mentor is 23-4 and not 20-4 now against Heights all time. My bad

Last edited:
I don't think Mentor is a top tier team by their standards but yeah I think they are better than Cleveland Heights.

You guys seem like the types who would take credit for your NFL team beating the Chiefs with Chad Henne at QB instead of Patrick Mahomes and act like it's the same exact thing . The dropoff for Mentor was gigantic at QB and they lost on a 2 point conversion vs Heights in OT

The QB is by far the most important position for Mentor and their system. It was night and day

Again if it offends you guys, I don't really care. I don't think Heights is good at all. I think Medina beats you pretty good but I'll eat crow if it doesn't happen.

PS: Shorted us some wins in the all time series. Mentor is 23-4 and not 20-4 now against Heights all time. My bad
Im not even a Heights fan just an adult who doesnt get sour grapes over high school football so the series has nothing to do with anyhting I said. Theyre still 0-1 against them this year. You are clearly the one offended by the Pa Annoucer, the hype around Davis, and the fact that Mentor didnt win.