Week 4: Cathedral

ReLoad

The Bombers (3-0) host Cathedral (3-1) this Friday looking to avenge last season’s overtime loss and complete a sweep of the 3 Indiana teams on this season’s schedule.

StX leads the series 16-2, a series that began in 1999.

Cathedral Irish
2018 Record: 6-6, lost to Decatur Central in the IN big school sectional finals 21-14
2019 Record: 3-1, beat Noblesville 42-14, beat Moeller 28-0, lost to Elder 38-31 OT, beat Chatard 31-21

Head Coach: Bill Peebles (2nd year)

Irish Offense
Return 3 starters on offense
QB #12 Orin Edwards Sr 6-1 180
RB #20 Daylen Hall Sr 5-7 150
RT #79 Tex Elliott Sr 6-5 280 (offers from Air Force, Army, Central Michigan, Navy, Western Illinois)

Edwards and Hall combine for the bulk of the rushing yardage.
The receivers are light but fast
WR- #4 Camden Jordan Jr 6-0 160
WR- #3 David Perry Jr 5-10 175
WR- #13 Jordan Thomas Sr 5-10 160
Left to right the OLine goes 305-220-280-255-280

Irish Defense
Return 3 starters on defense
OLB #33 Quinton Cannon Sr 6-2 190 Western Michigan commit
FS #25 Shiloh Means Sr 6-0 200 offers from Air Force, Ball St., Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Columbia, Dartmouth, Eastern Michigan, Illinois St., Miami(OH), Navy, Penn, Toledo, Western Illinois, Yale
DL #58 Sean Oldham Sr 6-1 320

A recent addition to the defense is a converted QB #10 sophomore safety Jeff Utzinger (6’0” 180lb) who joins Means and Cannon as the teams leading tacklers.

Bomber Offense
2nd in the GCL in yards per game at 370 (275 pass, 94 rush)
Senior QB Matt Rueve has completed over 70% (60 for 85) for 802 yards and 7 TDs and zero interceptions/fumbles
The QB play in last seasons overtime loss to Cathedral was atrocious
Junior WR Liam Clifford has 21 catches for 330 yards and 2 TDs.
Senior TE Marshall Lang missed last weeks game at Penn and his status this week is unknown.
In the first 2 games Lang had 15 catches for 207 yards and 3 TDs

Bomber Defense
1st in the GCL in yards allowed per game at 214 (107 pass, 106 rush)
Senior LB Noah Taylor leads the GCL in tackles (30), sacks (1.5) and interceptions (1)
6 Other Bombers have recorded double digit tackles on the season: Devine, DuBois, O’Malley, Hundley, DuBorg and Albanese.

Bomber Special Teams
Taylor has punted the ball 13 times for a 43.5 yard average, putting 4 kicks inside the 20.
Sophomore place kicker Mason Rohmiller scored 7 points in his kicking debut last Friday.
Sophomore Luke Vrsansky has returned 11 punts for 102 yards (9.3 yard return average)
Clifford has returned 6 kickoffs for 181 yards (30.2 yard return average)
Senior Tucker Hundley has blocked a punt in each of the last 2 games in opponents territory setting up the offense for easy scores

Last edited:
The Irish OLine is huge. #13 caught my eye vs Elder. #25 for the Irish D lined up about everywhere and was very solid. #58 D Lineman got pushed around a number of times vs Elder and ran out of gas!

Apologize for getting late onto the thread, I was out of town.
Here is the Cathedral projected starters and players with significant playing time:

Offense projected starters:
RT #79 Tex Elliott SR 6-5 280 lbs
RG #77 Aaron Cotton SR 6-2 255 lbs
OC #78 Holden Parsons SR 6-3 280 lbs
LG #56 Ryan Berutich SR 6-1 220 lbs
LT #73 Owen Wood SO 6-5 305 lbs
TE #86 Brennan Wooten FR 6-3 225 lbs
QB #12 Orin Edwards SR 6-1 185 lbs
RB #20 Daylen Hall SR 5-7 150 lbs
WR #4 Camden Jordan JR 6-0 160 lbs
WR #3 David Perry JR 5-10 175 lbs
WR #13 Jordan Thomas SR 5-10 175 lbs
Others with significant playing time:
TE #85 John Koscielski JR 6-1 205 lbs
TE #89 Sam McEntire SR 6-2 205 lbs
WR #16 Nathan McCahill JR 6-0 175 lbs
RB #30 Jacob Langdon JR 6-0 180 lbs

Defense projected starters:
DE #43 Jayden Scruggs JR 6-1 210 lbs
NG #58 Sean Oldham SR 6-1 320 lbs
DE #38 Thomas Wood SR 6-0 200 lbs
OLB #10 Jeff Utzinger SO 6-1 180 lbs
ILB #33 Quinton Cannon SR 6-2 200 lbs
ILB #5 Hudson Miller SO 5-11 200 lbs
ILB #29 Will Goheen SR 6-1 205 lbs
OLB #28 Aiden Hughes SR 6-0 190 lbs
CB #2 Mario McCullough JR 5-7 180 lbs
CB #19 Zane Hill Sr 6-1 170 lbs
FS #25 Shiloh Means SR 6-0 200 lbs
Others with significant playing time:
DL #57 David Guhl JR 6-1 245 lbs
LB #37 John Parker JR 5-10 165 lbs
LB #44 Daniel Brady SR 6-1 190 lbs

CB Wiles Dolle, who went down in the Colerain game, looks like he is about ready to return to action.
Brownsburg had the best passing attack with Easter to Terrell and Lacey.
Cathedral's Edwards is a dual threat that will test the Bomber D.
X will see some pretty good WRs in weeks 8 and 9 in LaSalle's Jake Seibert (Ohio State as place kicker) and St. Ignatius Connor Cmiel (Ohio State for lacrosse)
The 2 sophomores (Nolan and Anderson) are doing well in Dolle's absence but would be good to have the 6'4" senior back in the lineup for depth and his experience.
Marshall Lang who sat out the Penn game looks like he is ready to return to action as well.
Both will likely be game time decisions this Friday.

Brownsburg had the best passing attack with Easter to Terrell and Lacey.
Cathedral's Edwards is a dual threat that will test the Bomber D.

We will see as the season goes on about the passing attack between Cathedral and Brownsburg. The Irish have 3 solid WR's all with very good speed, 2 of them are JR's in their first year as starters and have played well. Edward's (aside from his sloppy game against Moeller throwing 3 Int's) is very comparable to Easter in the passing game but a more mobile QB when he needs to be.

Brownsburg WR's:
Preston Terrell - 18 Rec 312 Yds 3 TD
Luke Lacey - 12 Rec 293 Yds 5 TD
Cathedral WR's:
Camden Jordan - 18 Rec 335 Yds 6 TD
David Perry - 15 Rec 185 Yds 2 TD
Jordan Thomas - 10 Rec 155 Yds 1 TD

Brownsburg QB:
Ben Easters - 45 Comp 88 Att .511 % 766 yds 8 TD 2 Int / 14 Car -15 yds
Cathedral QB:
Orin Edwards - 58 Comp 96 Att .604 % 776 yds 8 TD 3 Int / 32 Car 228 yds 2 TD

As for St. X after watching film. Very impressed with #12 Rueve has completed 70% of his passes very smart with the football. Although #88 Lang didn't play against Penn he was very impressive against Colerain! I hope the young man is healthy from here on out and continues to have a great season, I really like watching him play! While #20 Newman is the SR I have been very impressed with #31 Vrsansky the SO runs the ball hard. #2 Clifford is a tremendous athlete with good height, he provides so many things for the St. X offense.

Defensively #4 Hundley is a stud I love watching that young man play! The LB unit is very solid #5 Taylor, #32 Devine, and #41 O'Malley all play so well. The front line are your typical stiff St. X defensive lineman. Not many weaknesses for the St. X defense,

Cathedral will definitely have their hands full with the Bombers this Friday in all phases of the game. Not only will the Offense and Defense of St. X be challenging for the Irish. The Bomber Special Teams always play very well. Here is to a terrific football game this Friday, I hope both teams come out healthy and injury free.

Lang is ready to go Friday, it's the other TE that probably will take this week off.

Thus far the Bombers have had an even mix of play distribution....30 pass attempts and 30 rush attempts

Of the 30 rush attempts, Newman and Vrsansky get about 10 each, Rueve 5 and the other 5 carries between Clifford, Maier and Bracken.
I look for Clifford to get more rushing attempts this Friday and in the future via the wildcat and sweeps.
Throw in kickoff returns and Clifford can and should get up to 20 touches a game.

Of the 30 pass attempts, Clifford and Lang are targeted 10 times each and Maier and Smith 4 times each.
The RBs and the secondary WRs (Britt and Patterson) get targeted a couple times a game.

There may be a PK competition going on which usually bodes well for improvement so will be interesting to see if it's the senior or sophomore this Friday.

Defensively X has about 15 players in the rotation depending on down, distance and call.
They have been getting good pressure up the middle from Gio, every direction from all 3 LBs and on Hundley safety blitzes.
It seems Hundley spends half the game in the offense's backfield blowing up plays

GO X!

St. X Bomber fans please help me out. Will there be a live feed of the game, and if so can you provide a link? My father can't make the trips to Cincinnati to watch the game. He can listen to it from the Cathedral broadcast, but he would love to watch it as well. He was able to watch the Cathedral Elder game a couple of weeks ago. I thank you in advance!

St. X Bomber fans please help me out. Will there be a live feed of the game, and if so can you provide a link? My father can't make the trips to Cincinnati to watch the game. He can listen to it from the Cathedral broadcast, but he would love to watch it as well. He was able to watch the Cathedral Elder game a couple of weeks ago. I thank you in advance!

Agreed, CHS has some real weapons on offense. X showed some big time heart and composure after getting down 14, and giving up so many big plays.

Clifford and Newman stepped up.
With Maier and Vrsansky on the sidelines in shorts and Lang at less than 50% they needed to.
And Clifford's line (7 catches for 125 yards and 2 TDs) should have been bigger.
Has anyone ever seen the back judge take out a receiver who was 5 yards behind the secondary and about to haul in a 50+ yard TD pass in the 1st quarter? And then he threw a flag on Specht for protesting LOL
Does anyone know why they called back Cliff's TD catch early in the 4th quarter?

Clifford and Newman stepped up.
With Maier and Vrsansky on the sidelines in shorts and Lang at less than 50% they needed to.
And Clifford's line (7 catches for 125 yards and 2 TDs) should have been bigger.
Has anyone ever seen the back judge take out a receiver who was 5 yards behind the secondary and about to haul in a 50+ yard TD pass in the 1st quarter? And then he threw a flag on Specht for protesting LOL
Does anyone know why they called back Cliff's TD catch early in the 4th quarter?

Agreed about Cliff and Newman, was the best I’ve seen the running game look all year. I hope this is a sign that the line is starting to come together.

I have no idea WTF the back judge was doing there. He seemed to just stand there right where the pass was coming down, ridiculous. Dude deserved to get run over. That was possibly the angriest I’ve seen a St X sideline and fan base.

Congrats to ST. X on the win. #2 Clifford is a special gifted talent and pleasure to watch. I also thought #20 Newman was terrific tonight, he was patient and started getting chunks of yards as the game progressed. You should be very proud of the heart the Bombers have never hanging their heads and plugging away. Those are things very well coached and very good football teams do. I was proud of my Irish tonight they played hard and came up short. Plenty to work on in getting better in the kicking game and cleaning up some of the turnovers.

I wish the St. X Bombers the best of luck the rest of the season! I look forward to playing again next year!

Reload,
Just an FYI even if #2 Clifford would not have ran into the official who was in his way and caught the pass it would have been negated. There was a holding call on the Offensive Line and flag that was thrown as the ball was thrown by the QB. Regardless it would have been a no catch.

I thought it was an excellent offensive game plan by Cathedral, impressed with their QB. IMHO Cathedral's defense, specifically the defensive line; wore down, you could sort of see it at the end of the 1st half and it became evident in the 4th.
Cathedral's offense put a lot of pressure on X to make proper reads, when X did; they shut down the Irish; when they didn't, which was all too often, the Irish made big gains. For the most of 3 qtrs, the Irish outplayed the Bombers, X was fortunate to get a victory.

I thought it was an excellent offensive game plan by Cathedral, impressed with their QB. IMHO Cathedral's defense, specifically the defensive line; wore down, you could sort of see it at the end of the 1st half and it became evident in the 4th.
Cathedral's offense put a lot of pressure on X to make proper reads, when X did; they shut down the Irish; when they didn't, which was all too often, the Irish made big gains. For the most of 3 qtrs, the Irish outplayed the Bombers, X was fortunate to get a victory.

Through the first half Carhedral had X’s number, and exploited X over the top and around the edges. Great game plan by their staff, and good execution by the players.

X made some good adjustments after the first Cathedral score, and shut them out until the final play. Definitely a game of two halves between two really good teams.

Agreed about Cliff and Newman, was the best I’ve seen the running game look all year. I hope this is a sign that the line is starting to come together.

I have no idea WTF the back judge was doing there. He seemed to just stand there right where the pass was coming down, ridiculous. Dude deserved to get run over. That was possibly the angriest I’ve seen a St X sideline and fan base.

First 100 yard rushing game for Newman.
The attention the Irish defense gave Cliff in the 4th quarter opened it up for Britt to get his first varsity TD

The Cathedral QB and WR turned in 2 of the best offensive performances vs X since 2010

Top Offensive Performers vs StX defenses in the past decade

Reggie Terrell, St. Ed's RB 2010, 37 carries for 222 yards and 2 TDs in the Eagle regular season victory

Alfred (L.A.) Ramsby, Colerain QB 2012, led Cards to 2 victories over StX in one season totaling nearly 600 yards of total offense and 6 TDs

Tim McVey, St. Ignatius RB 2012, rushed 36 times for 145 yds, caught 2 passes for 24yds and scored 4 TDs in a 32-21 come from behind Wildcat victory

Gus Ragland, 2013 Moeller QB rushed for 157 yards and 3 TDs and threw for 264 yards and 2 TDs in the 41-17 first round Crusader victory.

Jay Coe, 2015 Warren Central RB 285 all purpose yards (119 rushing, 115 receiving, 51 returning) and 3 TDs in Week 8 28-21 WC victory

DeShaunte Jones, 2015 Colerain QB 15 carries for 231 yards and 3 TDs in 2nd round 42-14 Cardinal victory

Ra’von Bonner, 2016 Sycamore RB 35 carries for 210 yards and 3 TDs in Regional Final 35-28 OT X victory

Jahadge Floyd, 2017 St. Ignatius RB 36 carries for 215 yards and 1 TD in Week 9 28-14 Wildcat victory

JJ Davis, 2017 Colerain RB 12 carries for 218 yards and 1 TD in Region 4 final 21-14 Card victory

Michael Bittner 2018 Elder QB 17 for 23 for 392 yards and 3 TDs and 20 carries for 97 yards and 3 TDs

Deante Smith-Moore 2018 Colerain QB 15 carries for 220 yards and 2 TDs

Cam Jordan 2019 Cathedral WR 7 catches for 219 yards and 3 TDs

Orin Edwards 2019 Cathedral QB 17 for 33 passing for 345 yards and 3 TDs and 14 carries for 114 yards and 1 TD

X made some good adjustments after the first Cathedral score, and shut them out until the final play.

Defense adjustments: Dolle back in (missed past 2 games due to injury) at CB after the first 2 Irish TDs (88 and 59 yard TD passes). Sophomore Nolan, converted QB is the next best corner, who did well opposite Dolle, but in run situations DuBois moved to corner while Thompson, Schmidt, Kemper and/or Kirk were added to the box.
I thought Thompson and O'Malley had their best games to date.

Special teams played a key role in the Bomber victory.
Recently promoted sophomore place kicker Mason Rohmiller was perfect scoring 11 points by hitting both field goal attempts (35 and 26) and all 5 XPs.
In Vrsansky’s absence DuBois proved an adequate backup returning punts
Sophomore Max Klare’s kickoffs were high and deep with half reaching the end zone and the others fielded inside the 5 were tackled inside the 30
Taylor’s punting (6 for a 42.6 average) knocked 3 inside the 20 and was getting great height for a total of only 25 return yards