Week 3: St Thomas Aquinas vs Marlington

Anyone have any thoughts on this game? Marlington let the Knights have it last year by the scoreboard. However, STA really held Dymonte that game, it was Hill that wasn't contained. This will be a very, very good game I predict. I don't have a winner predicted because I truly think it's 50/50 at this point. Both teams will have to play a full game at 100% in order to win. Go Knights!!!

Judging by what I know of both the teams, this game will turn out to be a grinding force of wills. These are two teams with similar mentalities, but I do think that Marlington has more question marks than STA. I see a close game with STA coming out on top.

STA will score enough against Marlington....question is whether they can stop both Dymonte and Kirk. Against Minerva, the only real threat they had to try to shut down was Riley. Marlington will have DThomas going one way and Kirk heading another....gotta account for both of them. Marlington also more of a passing threat....probably better and bigger receivers than Minerva .

On the other side, Marlington has to deal with an STA offense that showed they can run it and throw it last week. STA is deep with offensive talent...completed passes to 6-7 different receivers and had at least 7 different guys rush the ball against Minerva (I'm talking before the jv guys went in late in the 4th).

Should be a great game...especially with WHBC pregame show and radio broadcast of the game. Can't wait!

Go Knights!

Two weeks ago I would have said Marlington by 10 or more. After what STA did to a good Minerva team, I've changed my tune. This one is a toss up and I hope it's not on any of the pick 'ems.

STA will score enough against Marlington....question is whether they can stop both Dymonte and Kirk. Against Minerva, the only real threat they had to try to shut down was Riley. Marlington will have DThomas going one way and Kirk heading another....gotta account for both of them. Marlington also more of a passing threat....probably better and bigger receivers than Minerva .

On the other side, Marlington has to deal with an STA offense that showed they can run it and throw it last week. STA is deep with offensive talent...completed passes to 6-7 different receivers and had at least 7 different guys rush the ball against Minerva (I'm talking before the jv guys went in late in the 4th).

Should be a great game...especially with WHBC pregame show and radio broadcast of the game. Can't wait!

Go Knights!

I disagree. I think it comes down to Aquinas scoring. Marlington is a defensive team as is Aquinas. I say a defensive battle with aquinas getting revenge for last season. I hope Aquinas wins big but either way I think the knights can pull it out at home.

I still have this game as a toss-up. Marlington's defenses are always tough and well coached. Should be a great crowd as there always is for this game. I would get there early, if you don't buy your tickets early you may miss some of the first quarter. There is always a huge line for tickets at this game whether it is at Marlington or Aquinas.

I still have this game as a toss-up. Marlington's defenses are always tough and well coached. Should be a great crowd as there always is for this game. I would get there early, if you don't buy your tickets early you may miss some of the first quarter. There is always a huge line for tickets at this game whether it is at Marlington or Aquinas.

+1

Very good reminder for fans, Buck. If you show up at 6:45 for this one, no way you're getting to your seats until at least 7:15 (1st quarter could be half over by then).

With that said, I really don't understand why so many leagues and schools play at 7:00 these days. I recall almost all games used to start at 7:30 years ago. It's a Friday night, so I don't know if there's any benefit to finishing the game earlier.

Also, it does make it hard for many people to get there in enough time. A lot of people work until 5:30 or even 6:00 on Friday. Tough to get home from work, change clothes, and get out to a stadium in time for a 7:00 pm start.

+1

Very good reminder for fans, Buck. If you show up at 6:45 for this one, no way you're getting to your seats until at least 7:15 (1st quarter could be half over by then).

With that said, I really don't understand why so many leagues and schools play at 7:00 these days. I recall almost all games used to start at 7:30 years ago. It's a Friday night, so I don't know if there's any benefit to finishing the game earlier.

Also, it does make it hard for many people to get there in enough time. A lot of people work until 5:30 or even 6:00 on Friday. Tough to get home from work, change clothes, and get out to a stadium in time for a 7:00 pm start.

Way back in the day games started at 8 PM. This could be a good game, I'm taking the Knights.

Stark County Football is Overrated

People in Stark County think they have good football, this is a joke, try Dade County Flordia far superior to this area. St. Thomas and Marlington are little schools that can't compete with bigger schools.

I will reveal this at a later date, keep checking back!!

Who is this stalker numbnuts??????? WOW....dude....really?

I am mixed on this game. Hoover & Marlington are developing a strong synergy based upon Hertler & Miley's coaching history. I happen to think Dymonte is one of those kids. Works hard, and has all the talent in the world. It's easy to be a fan.

I am also a believer that this STA team is ready to compete with anyone on their schedule. This game should/could be a classic.

Good luck to both, and stay healthy.

This game has a lot of meaning for Marlington, Minerva and STA. Don't remember a time STA could beat two top NBC teams.
I watched Marlington-Poland and Minerva-STA. I think it will come down to whether STA can load the box and keep it loaded on Marlington like they were able to in Minerva.
STA linebackers were not big, but very fast, tenacious and made it very rough on Minerva's read option. They will stop Kirk and Thomas if they don't have to drop in space. Minerva establish no downfield passing attack. STA was sending backers all night. If Marlington can't throw the ball vertically, it will be a long night for the Dukes. I am going with STA by 10.

Gameday! Go Knights!

I echo the comments above....if you're planning to go to this game, get there EARLY!

STA only has one ticket window and the line will be very long if you get there after 6:30 (you might miss most of the 1st quarter even...and might not have a seat).

STA fans can also buy tickets presale at the school today I think until 3:00 pm in the athletic office (right inside the front entrance of the school). I'd highly suggest that if you have time stop out there.

The good thing for Aquinas is that they won the 1st two games in blowouts, meaning they didn't have to reveal the entire playbook. I expect Tim Budd and the Knights staff to catch Marlington off-guard by some formations and finding different ways to get Joel Rich the ball tonight. Marlington is going to load the box and make Moeglin hurt them with his arm.

With both teams having great running games field position is going to be huge tonight. If either team makes a big play/blunder on special teams it will most likely make the difference in who wins the game.

Prediction:
AQUINAS: 21
MARLINGTON: 17

People in Stark County think they have good football, this is a joke, try Dade County Flordia far superior to this area. St. Thomas and Marlington are little schools that can't compete with bigger schools.

hahaha why are you in here? and throwing out the most random state and county ever? go back to florida

Congrats to Marlington!!! 3-0

Now where are those Minerva whiners after the Poland game.Complaining that Marlington was listed in the rep top 5 and Minerva wasn't.Minerva lost to Aquinas and now to a young Tuslaw.

Nice win tonight for the Dukes! Marlington is proving itself to be a very fundamentally sound team this year. Who would have thought Carrollton and Canton South would be undefeated at this point as well?

To Spencer:
I remember the statements on that thread being more a result of early season question marks for both teams. The simple fact is that no one could have expected Marlington to be in the top 5 at that point in the season. I give respect where respect is due, no need to aggrandize after the fact.

Sorry Mav , as I didn't direct it toward you personally.Since you weren't one who was whining much about it.

1st off making the rep top 5 is a joke in its own right or any local paper for that matter.It will never change unless you have a team so loaded that they couldn't pass up.

I will tell you who will be in it next year already
1)McKinley
2)Glenoak
3)Massillon
4)louisville
5)Hoover

If you don't live in these school districts,repository writers don't care.

Sorry Mav , as I didn't direct it toward you personally.Since you weren't one who was whining much about it.

1st off making the rep top 5 is a joke in its own right or any local paper for that matter.It will never change unless you have a team so loaded that they couldn't pass up.

I will tell you who will be in it next year already
1)McKinley
2)Glenoak
3)Massillon
4)louisville
5)Hoover

If you don't live in these school districts,repository writers don't care.

No prob. Yep, that top five pretty much illustrates the Rep's go-to crew.

Tough loss for the Knights Friday night. It was great to see how they adjusted and came out with great effort in the 3rd quarter to take a lead into the 4th and held onto it until 4 minutes remained.

Dymonte Thomas is simply a stud. STA has good football players, good athletes and is a very good football team. Thomas was the best player on the field, however, by far. He took over down the stretch.

No shame in losing by 3 to a probable Division III playoff team in Marlington, but it's still a tough one to take. I believe STA is a favorite to win every other game on their schedule this year....and they may need to, as some of their opponents on the schedule look much, much weaker than anticipated before the season (Minerva, Northwest, Central). So, there won't be as many computer points up for the taking as we would have thought a few weeks ago.

Go Knights! All the goals for the season are still out there and can be achieved.

Tough loss for the Knights Friday night. It was great to see how they adjusted and came out with great effort in the 3rd quarter to take a lead into the 4th and held onto it until 4 minutes remained.

Dymonte Thomas is simply a stud. STA has good football players, good athletes and is a very good football team. Thomas was the best player on the field, however, by far. He took over down the stretch.

No shame in losing by 3 to a probable Division III playoff team in Marlington, but it's still a tough one to take. I believe STA is a favorite to win every other game on their schedule this year....and they may need to, as some of their opponents on the schedule look much, much weaker than anticipated before the season (Minerva, Northwest, Central). So, there won't be as many computer points up for the taking as we would have thought a few weeks ago.

Go Knights! All the goals for the season are still out there and can be achieved.

Great game even though Aquinas came up on the short end. Dead even game statistically (final stats were almost identical for Marlington and Aquinas). Aquinas should be fine if they take care of business the rest of the year. We actually get more points for Tuslaw's win over Minerva than if Minerva beat Tuslaw. Garfield is a surprise and may win 4 or 5 games, so that helps.

Thomas is no doubt a stud, but I was talking to a Marlington fan and he said Thomas turned 19 in August, I did not realize he was that old. He is old enough to be a sophomore in college. Marlington will definitely make the playoffs this year, and I will be pulling for them.

Last edited: