Week 3: Elder vs. Clearwater Academy International(Florida)

Ramsey got a little too conservative there late 3rd, early 4th and it almost cost them. For as poorly coached as this team was their halftime adjustment, while simple, was really good. Man up the WRs, put 7 in the box and trust that you won't get beat on the back end where your athletes were playing. Ramsey didn't adjust quick enough and that 38-24 lead shrunk in a hurry.

Tackling across the country is an epidemic in football and this Elder team is no exception, which is surprising because even with the lack of team speed the past few years, they've always tackled really well. Tonight it was even worse because guys were worried about being run past/by. They were thinking too much about angles and not enough about tackling the ball carrier. I will say, Elder won't face a faster team this season, but Ed's, X, Winton Woods will have RBs that will just run through these arm tackles, time to clean it up now.

Overall, a win is a win. They keep the momentum rolling headed to next weekend's showdown with Eds. Someone mentioned earlier that this team, specifically the offense plays with such a casual confidence. No moment seems too big and they don't get down when things go awry. That alone will keep this team dangerous because they never play like they're never out of a game.

A win is a win? That was a great win.

The athleticism on the other side of the ball was probably the best that's ever come in the building. It says something to beat a team like that. Their offensive firepower was insane.

Most talent I have ever seen on a team. Including De La Salle. I can’t brlieve elder won but it will add to this teams lure at the end and f the year. Hopefully after a state championship
I disagree. Colerain ‘04,
Ramsey got a little too conservative there late 3rd, early 4th and it almost cost them. For as poorly coached as this team was their halftime adjustment, while simple, was really good. Man up the WRs, put 7 in the box and trust that you won't get beat on the back end where your athletes were playing. Ramsey didn't adjust quick enough and that 38-24 lead shrunk in a hurry.

Tackling across the country is an epidemic in football and this Elder team is no exception, which is surprising because even with the lack of team speed the past few years, they've always tackled really well. Tonight it was even worse because guys were worried about being run past/by. They were thinking too much about angles and not enough about tackling the ball carrier. I will say, Elder won't face a faster team this season, but Ed's, X, Winton Woods will have RBs that will just run through these arm tackles, time to clean it up now.

Overall, a win is a win. They keep the momentum rolling headed to next weekend's showdown with Eds. Someone mentioned earlier that this team, specifically the offense plays with such a casual confidence. No moment seems too big and they don't get down when things go awry. That alone will keep this team dangerous because they never play like they're never out of a game.
the 4th down play where they actually had CA stopped, but let the kid break the tackle was a killer. There was no reason that should’ve happened. The game is probably a lot less suspenseful if that happens.

The Offense plays with a great deal of poise. Luebbe is such a smart player who doesn’t get rattled after a bad play or missed block.

I have to say I think Elder benefited from a liiiitle home-cooking. Elder D needs work, but that team was pretty massive and had some major speed.

I have to say I think Elder benefited from a liiiitle home-cooking. Elder D needs work, but that team was pretty massive and had some major speed.
I honestly don’t think that was the case. This team is just very badly coached. I didn’t see one call that was more questionable than the fumble to end last week.

A win is a win? That was a great win.
Confidence must be pretty high in the locker room. Has to feel good to defend your home turf against a solid team. Especially one that was talking trash and playing tough/dirty all night.

Would have been tough to lose that shootout, take a knee, and watch those kids swaggering their way back to the buses.

Big w to hang their hat on. We have the team speed to play with the best of them. Been awhile since an Elder team could say that.

I just thought a few of the flags seemed a little too timely, but Elder showed its O is gonna be able to put up points on anyone. Good win.

Big w to hang their hat on. We have the team speed to play with the best of them. Been awhile since an Elder team could say that.

On Offense, yes, not on Defense. However, more importantly, they need to figure out how to get pressure on the QB. They still haven’t recorded a sack this year.

Holy ! Huge Win and the O was dominant! Old School called the Win and Pboy called the lack of discipline from CA. 16 Flags for 170 yds. Only thing I saw from Elder that I didn’t like was letting students on field before visiting Team is off of it.

FREE PBOY!!!

Also, Elder was 8/13 on 3rd down. Had 30 mins on TOP vs 18 for CA.

I don't know if you'll find a high school defense in this era that would do much better than Elder did tonight. That was as much offensive talent as we've seen in quite some time, maybe back to the Moeller dynasty years (I know most of you weren't born yet).

I don't know if you'll find a high school defense in this era that would do much better than Elder did tonight. That was as much offensive talent as we've seen in quite some time, maybe back to the Moeller dynasty years (I know most of you weren't born yet).
At WR and RB, they might be the best. Their QB left a lot to be desired. Good athlete, not an accurate passer. To be fair, your % completion is going to take a hit when you throw a lot of deep balls, but he was still just 7/23

Is it safe to say tonight was the most PFs recorded in a single game by an Elder opponent?

At WR and RB, they might be the best. Their QB left a lot to be desired. Good athlete, not an accurate passer. To be fair, your % completion is going to take a hit when you throw a lot of deep balls, but he was still just 7/23
Poor play calling hurt their QB. He would have been fine with 10 -15 yard routes. It's asking a lot of a high school QB to throw as many deep routes as they did.

Poor play calling hurt their QB. He would have been fine with 10 -15 yard routes. It's asking a lot of a high school QB to throw as many deep routes as they did.
That’s a fair point. I’m still perplexed as to why Ajou would only have 3 catches. He was in single cvg all night. I know they tried to hit him deep a few times, but try to get him the ball in the intermediate part of the field. It felt like all he did was run screens or Go routes.

You guys can take shots at me all you want, that’s fine. I’m just giving my honest opinion, this is not a game they should be playing. There’s no Harbin benefit, it’s against an Internationally recruited team, and it’s a week before a legitimately important game on the road vs Eds.

I get that people want to play the angle of me advocating for cowardice, but it’s not that. If they were playing a Trinity or Warren Central, I’d understand. However, this does not make sense to me.
I’m sure this was liked ironically. I’m glad I was wrong about the outcome, but I stand by what I said. It’s just my opinion, you can feel free to disagree.

I nailed the final score differential of 6 points. I had 48-42, didn't think it would get to 60-54, but I honestly at the time didn't know CA would onside kick almost every time. The front line did an amazing job all night of recovering those onside kicks. Elder was well prepared for that and put some good hands guys up front.

Some observations.
E - I was surprised that Elder didn't really wear them down. CA hung in there til the end. Conditioning wise, I thought they were about even.
L - The best team Elder will face in the regular season and they will only get 2 - 2.25 harbin points. Ouch! This game was all about pride for both teams.
D - CA played harder than I thought they would. They were not quitting. You could tell how much the game meant to many of their players.
E- Elder's 12th man came though. The student body did a great job. I do think they got in the head of their players.
R - So much criticism of CA players. Remember they are from Canada. I thought they played hard. Can't fault them for what they were agaist.

P - I was disappointed in no hand shake after the game. I guess Ramsey did what he thought best, but at the end of the day you battle for 4 quarters, you got to shake hands and show respect. The players deserve that.
A - #9 from CA will probably generate better offers after this game.
N - #1 did not get enough targets. His speed was insane and I can't believe he dropped that TD pass at the end of the 1st half. CA not scoring at the end of the 1st half was BIG for Elder.
T - #11 is a passionate player that will be playing big time on Saturdays. It was unfortunate what happened after the game. I think he got caught up in the emotion of it all. He will be a force if he can channel that energy positively.
H - This was a big crowd considering CA brought maybe 50 fans. I hope they all enjoyed The Pit even though it was a loss that ended on a sour note.
E - Their speed on offense was off the charts. They had 4-5 players that were at least 2 steps faster than our fastest.
R - Our offensive line dominated again.
S - I've been looking forward to this game for a long time ever since I took the time months ago to see what they were all about. It was a pleasure to watch them in person and to watch Elder prevail with a win.

Elder will end up receiving around 2+ harbin points for this game, but they gained way more than that with the win!

P - I was disappointed in no hand shake after the game. I guess Ramsey did what he thought best, but at the end of the day you battle for 4 quarters, you got to shake hands and show respect. The players deserve that.
I disagree with this one. Normally I say shake the hands, but some of their players were already having to be held back by teammates. Elder held their composer in the game. No need for that to be ruined by the hand shake line and being provoked. The last Personal Foul on the kneeling of the ball was the straw that broke the Camels back. When the police had to be brought over for Coach Ramsey to talk to their coach, showed it.

Elder needs to take a look at allowing students/fans on the Field before Visitors are off the Field. This can become a safety issue even for the Home team. Thought most of CA Passing plays were like old backyard football plays. Totally insane that a team like CA basically had zero Special Teams. Think Ramsey was forced to open up O a little bit more than he likes and the guys responded brilliantly!

FREE PBOY!!!

Elder needs to take a look at allowing students/fans on the Field before Visitors are off the Field. This can become a safety issue even for the Home team.

Nah, its fine, it's been going on for years. The cheering section waits neat the end zone until Coach Ramsey talks to the team out near the 50 and then Coach tells the team go celebrate with your friends. I like it. The students like it. The players like it. Normally the other team is gone or close to gone, there is no reason to stay. Last night CA players lingered much longer than normal.