Week 2: Hilliard Darby @ Hilliard Davidson

I don't think you "JUNK " the offense, but agaisnt Coffman adn UA I beleive they won't have enough up front to get a push and move the chains consistently without some kind of passing game, they haven't needed to pass much in recent memory obvioulsy , this year may just be that outlier of a year though .

Don't throw UA chances to beat Davidson away because they couldn't get out of their own way against Elder, Elder wil be a good team this year a redempmtion type season, they will get trounced by the AAU CLub travel elite all sta football team from Louisville Trinity this week{ that team has a totla monopoly on top talent there } but you will see them do well agaisnt thier traditional rivals .

UA has some good defensive lineman who can battle and be effective competing agasint a strict running team , a team they are familar with , I feel UA would win the majority of the battles with their D- Line going against HD'S O-Line if they just line it up and run it only .

Coffman wil rotate a bunch of good sized players some of who { McCollum and Vinny Jones come to mind} will be very difficult for them to block consisntently so it seems to me HD will have to tweak thier normal order of operations agasint their rival . Some reverses , some play action throws may be , suffice to say you will see different play-calling in that game , if stubborness sets in and they don't ? THEY WON'T MOVE THE BALL WELL PERIOD !!. the Rocks more than ever need to play the pass or the trick play this year becuase physically they are better than HD in the trenches this year after two years of being handled .{ 2006 through 2009 the battles were on even terms a lot of then time no domination like 2010 and to a lesser extant last year } Bottom liine is if HD couldn't score until later third quarter last year and that first one was with good field position to start , are you really going to run down the field this year without some passing reverses tricks and treats ?

I predicted 8-2 and a 7 or eight seed , but the way things are harbining out or wil eventually play out it looks like 8-2 may not be good enough unless they beat Coffman which bias aside looks more remote than I thought in the Summer .

If Former Cat who obvioulsy has me on ignore as do some other HD guys probably this they can just go 9-1 or 10-0 every year no matter what that's OK, may be he doesn';t remember anything from before 2008 , I don't know and I don't care really . winning at the incredible rate HD has lately does cloud the judgment , can't say that I blame him for delusions of grandeur in this case , 8-2 would be a very good year considering all facts, I said if White gets this team to 9-1 even he should be named coach of the year , if 10-0 COACH OF THE DECADE.

If they beat Coffman this year, they probably need a + 3 to 4 turnover margin IMO, and need to win special teams, but DC has a very good kickcing game and some kids who can motor on returns and make things happen so even that seems very unlikley.

Don't sleep on Olentangy Liberty , that kid can play at QB , he runs well is athletic in the pocket and can throw the rock . If you don't get pressure on him forget about it OL wil hang 28 on HD this year, and they have a couple kids at linebacker who can defend the run well so that game is a complete toss-up AT WORST where Liberty is concerned IMO. Just telling it like I see it , I could be wrong and HD could run up and down the field all night but I don;t think so.

I wil say this I expect a total rock fight from Davidson when they come to Coffman stadium , the Rocks will have to play thier azzes off and they wil pay a physical price because a desperate wounded dog is really dangerous and if they don't match the emotional level and desperation level they can lose, I don't expect motivation issues with the Rocks though , if there is I will check for imposters under those helmets so I am calling for a Rock victory after taking care of business this week in their home opener vs. Mass Perry

I've been biting my tongue after reading some of the things that have been said after Darby's win... but I'll let that go.

Anyway, I agree with you Buck. Motley definitely needs to see the ball more on offense or at least be on the field. He's a threat that can add more to that offense especially when they are struggling to move the ball. I just don't understand the philosophy there. I'm a firm believer in getting your playmakers on the field.

Davidson doesn't usually need it's best playmakers as much when the OL dominates the LOS. Right now, they aren't anywhere close to becoming superior vs. good defensive fronts. I agree, Motley definitely needs to be more involved to help open it up.

Last edited:
I'm sure the staff WILL correct several mistakes before week 4. Here are a few things I believe Davidson needs to work on offensively.

1. OL- Interior needs to fire out faster, do a much better job picking up blitz.
2. RBs- hit holes harder, stop hesitating in open space. NO Jennings in motion, should be Waters and Motely used to offset defenses before or after a couple of sweeps to the outside.
3 QB- make better reads, sell plays better, run to daylight quicker.

Basically the players have to become DIFFERENT PLAYERS by week four it seems like Buck is telling us .

So in a week or so the lineman have yo get quicker, get smarter at recocnizing a blitz becuase that can come to players overnight sometiimes , the backs have to get quicker get better vision and of course become quicker in a week's time

and of course the QB in his fourth start needs to become a seasoned veteran becoming a magician wiht the ball so they don't know who has it and of course become a more instinctive athelte runing to daylight quicker beucase that is reallly quite an easy thing to do you just have to put your mind to " RUNNING TO DAYLIGHT "

I also have some advice for a handful of teams out there, you really need to become bigger and stronger in the trenches, you can kae that happen byn week four for sure if you just ingest some Horse tranquilzers mixed with a DOUBLE combination of Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds off season drug regimen and by week four you wil be the one PUSHING PEOPLE AROUND NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND .

Secondly you players who get that pitch need to get to the corner a full secoind earleir , and when you encounter a defender or two need to get better at juking them , plant that left leg if going to the right cut back then spin your way around the next guy , run over the third guy to gain an additional 3-4 yards , if you can jsut get better at that , then try to master getting more efficient at being able to see guys behind you and anticipating when to cut across the grain in traffic .

these rthings are correctable easily rectified concepts , Almost fogot QB'S you really need to be able to just start looking off safety's more easily perfect that little pump fake and then finding yoru third option on the other side of the field .

Basically the players have to become DIFFERENT PLAYERS by week four it seems like Buck is telling us .

So in a week or so the lineman have yo get quicker, get smarter at recocnizing a blitz becuase that can come to players overnight sometiimes , the backs have to get quicker get better vision and of course become quicker in a week's time

and of course the QB in his fourth start needs to become a seasoned veteran becoming a magician wiht the ball so they don't know who has it and of course become a more instinctive athelte runing to daylight quicker beucase that is reallly quite an easy thing to do you just have to put your mind to " RUNNING TO DAYLIGHT "

I also have some advice for a handful of teams out there, you really need to become bigger and stronger in the trenches, you can kae that happen byn week four for sure if you just ingest some Horse tranquilzers mixed with a DOUBLE combination of Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds off season drug regimen and by week four you wil be the one PUSHING PEOPLE AROUND NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND .

Secondly you players who get that pitch need to get to the corner a full secoind earleir , and when you encounter a defender or two need to get better at juking them , plant that left leg if going to the right cut back then spin your way around the next guy , run over the third guy to gain an additional 3-4 yards , if you can jsut get better at that , then try to master getting more efficient at being able to see guys behind you and anticipating when to cut across the grain in traffic .

these rthings are correctable easily rectified concepts , Almost fogot QB'S you really need to be able to just start looking off safety's more easily perfect that little pump fake and then finding yoru third option on the other side of the field .

Can you read? I said "work on". It would be different if this group had more experience. If they had more, I wouldn't see much room to improve over the course of the season. When it comes to execution and mechanics there are little (unseen by the average eye) things that count.

Last edited:
I know what you meant in concept but it did read a bit like you need to be just better footbal players gain instincts and ability and do it damn quick .

I am aware of little things that can be improved and I know well coached footbal teams that are inexpereinced wil get better and look better as time goes on and I fully expect that of Davidson and I am on record as saying it is going to be a really tough game for Coffman in week four and if they aren't ready mentally physically and schematically they can lose .

I do expect them to be ready , no reason at all to not be, there wil be no over-confidecne for obvious reason despite the experience edge Coffman has , THEY HAVEN'T SCORED A TOUCHDOWN AGAINST HD AT ALL IN THE LAST TWO MEEETINGS, my take on the game as far as Coffman is concerened IS SIMPLY TO TO GET INTO THE END ZONE IN THE FIRST HALF FIRST AND THEN GO WIN THE GAME, Just score a damn touchdown against this team aND then go from there , I don't care if THEY WIN BY A POINT OR 20 , JUST WIN THE FOOTBALL GAME.

Just having a little fun Buck that's all no disrespect to anyone

I know what you meant in concept but it did read a bit like you need to be just better footbal players gain instincts and ability and do it damn quick .

I am aware of little things that can be improved and I know well coached footbal teams that are inexpereinced wil get better and look better as time goes on and I fully expect that of Davidson and I am on record as saying it is going to be a really tough game for Coffman in week four and if they aren't ready mentally physically and schematically they can lose .

I do expect them to be ready , no reason at all to not be, there wil be no over-confidecne for obvious reason despite the experience edge Coffman has , THEY HAVEN'T SCORED A TOUCHDOWN AGAINST HD AT ALL IN THE LAST TWO MEEETINGS, my take on the game as far as Coffman is concerened IS SIMPLY TO TO GET INTO THE END ZONE IN THE FIRST HALF FIRST AND THEN GO WIN THE GAME, Just score a damn touchdown against this team aND then go from there , I don't care if THEY WIN BY A POINT OR 20 , JUST WIN THE FOOTBALL GAME.

Just having a little fun Buck that's all no disrespect to anyone

The blocking was suspect (as expected) at times it wasn't. I was VERY upset to see the Davidson O look kinda timid in their own back yard. I expect Coffman to roll unless there are a couple of changes in the overall scheme. Motley/Waters should be used as decoys ( home run threats) in motion not 218 lb FB Jennings.IMO

that does make sense, I expect there to many wrinkles in the scheme for the Coffman game and for HD to pull out all the stops including what I predcit to be at least 10 pass attempts , if they dont' pass at al they WON'T WIN , theya ren;'t lining it up and blocking wel enough to consistently move it ONLY RUNNING IT THIS YEAR. Don't think the Rocks are afraid of Jennings , they dealt wel with a superior player in Donovan Wilson and a big back who wil play D-1 as wel in Will Houston, Jennings is a good tough player but unless they import 3-4 lineman from Manatee Florida for this one he isn't going to have a lot of room unless they pass a little or mix it up .

Timid should not be confused with floundering confused or not operating properly, from what I heard , for the first time in a while the Davidson offense could not get the consistent push to guarentee consistent positive gains against the opponent they were playing , some nights they wil move it wel some others they wil struggle , that's just how it may be this year .

Of course White may spin a tale about not being able to prepare properly becuase his Senior leadership is so lacking becuase we all know that it's Seniors who run practices are ion charge of the preperation and make the key decisions , of course that isn't the case when gthe team WINS only when they LOSE , pet peeve of mIne coaches throwing previous kids under the bus blaming them for failure and this year he is ALREADY DOING IT AFTER TWO FREAKING GAMES, unbeleivable to me how he has the cajones to blast kids charachter leadership and who they are as people in the paper after losses lik ehe did in print and radio MANY TIMES about the 2007 team who quite frankly just wasn;t as ggood as Darby UA and Coffman that year PERIOD END OF STORY IT WASN;T BECUASE THEY WERE LOSERS AS PEOPLE AS HE TRIED TO TELL PEOPLE MANY TIMES

Ummmm.....Don't think I said "junk" the O...DSA...are you sure you aren't my girlfriend :shrug: geeezzzz...

I said we need to expand on the O that we have...we need to open up just a little...line up to the wide side... throw every game...5 or 6 time just to make the D get outta the box and respect our guys goin downfield...

Our "O" doesn't fool the good teams like it did...but with a little tweak...it could be better than ever...

Take Air Force for instance...they run a similar run oriented O...but they still thro the ball...

It has worked for a long time...a little tweak is needed...plus it could help hide weaknesses...

Anyway...

Go HD Cats!!!

But the world could come to an end and you throw SHUUUUDDDEEEEERRR " AN INTERCEPTION " can you handle the monumental risk of possibly SHUUUUDERRRR THE THOUGHT , Turning the ball over and not having your defense not get it's NINE HOIURS OF SLEEP A NIGHT , actually may be have tyo go out once in a while and you know PLAY MORE THAN A FEW SNAPS A GAME ?

YES YES TWO RINGS TELL US SOMEHOW , THE TWO ONE POINT victories TELL US this way is the ONLY way for a school that had over 2000 kids before the split with limited size{ not true they ahd some nice sized offensive lines } and never any real talent{ also exxegerrated } or so we were told had to operate to wini these coveted titles ,??

A little tweak ? There is no doubt if in the slim chance White is still there in a few years and he gets 3-4 big athletic kids up front he will restart the run up each others butt's mixed ion with a few doses of the jet sweep 45 times a game control freak 1957 offense again as his defesnive players sit on their hands all game playing about 17 snaps a game trying to stifle yawns and worry if they do want to play at the next level that theyhave enough film to send out . { yes I know it'sa ll about whether White ERRRR I mean the team wins the game only }

Ok that was a bit dramatic , but you get the point, it' scalled over exxegeration a little sarcasm for those challenged at reading between the lines . I think throwing the balL say 12 times a game could really help this team , get the ball out quickly to help the offensive line a bit , the kids would enjoy the game a bit more and importantly IT JUST MAY BE A GOOD complement to thier base system , OHCAT makes a good point actually college teams lik eGA Tech Air Force heck even Navy had top throw last week agaisnt Notre Dame becuase they couldn';t win enough battles or use deception well enough to only move it on the ground, of course Navy was very much more overmatched on Saturday than HD wil even be physically this season but you get the point .

Don't get me wrong even if personnel challenged up front the HD offense can very effective stil in moving the chains if executed very well and even against Coffman who does defend the run much better this year that they nwil make some plays , BUT wil it be enough to just get first downs here and there and not actually score touchdowns ? Agaisnt some teams it might be enough but not agasint OL , DC and UA it won't be they wil loose those games if they think they can line it up adn hold onto the ball all night this year .

White always says that the reason he only runs the bal is to not put his defense in a bad spot, but it's a team game , units sometimes need to PICK EACH OTHER UP , the offesne needs to diversify a bit if that means they mkae a few more mistakes over the course of a season and the defense has to go out there more times a game then so be it THE DEFENSE CAN PICK UP THE OFFENSE , THE OFFENSE MAY HAVE TO TAKE A RISK OR TWO ONCE IN A WHILE , just like people have to do in real life.

Stivic,

You seem to know a lot about central Ohio football players in general and Davidson in particular. Nothing wrong with that; I know several guys who follow high school football as rabidly as guys who follow the NFL, and you seem to be one of them.

You repeat your opinion that players from Davidson aren't getting the looks and opportunities to play at the next level quite a bit because of White's system.

So here is a very specific question.

From the Davidson players of the 06-11 seasons (the two state championship teams), who isn't playing at the next level who should be due to White's system?

These guys have all graduated now and moved on, so naming names won't be in bad form.

Never said that White's system precludes any kid from playing a tthe next level , it does limit some kids in terms of playing offense at the next level becuase they have done so little in terms of not one iota of diversity.

I follow NFL and College more closley than the high school game by the way

They aren't the only ones that only run the footbal at the high school level , and I never said or pointed out a kid who wasn';t being looked at due to the system , my point about defensive players not getting any snaps was a bit tounge in cheek , And I beleive you have been one to blast me in the past , but the bottom line is and that program wears it like a badge of honor or proof of being unselfish that they don't have many big time recruits , not as many kids who go on to paly in college as other top programs

They want you to beleive their system is desingned tom take any indivuality out of every player and that is noble and right and allm that is holy.

They have disdain for any school who sends more kids to play in college or at the higher level of College implying that they are selfish adn care only about how the individual player fares on the field which is crap , it is a way for them to get thier kids to buy into their system whcih is fine , but it isn't accurate , also White likes playing that fact up so it mkaes him look better, he talks about being unselfish but once they suffer a loss he quickly blames his players lack of leadership or that they are bad people like the 2007 team, a team so bad that other teams should leqrn form thier inherent BADNESS AND LACK OF LEADERSHIP ,

The unselfish program that is all about team resposibility , has thier supposed leader throw ONE GROUPL OF KIDS UNDER THE BUS AFTER WEEK TWO FOR BEING RESPONSIBLE FOR THE LACK OF PREPERATION .

I KNOW YOU LOVE THAT PROGRAM AIM LIKE MIKEY , and that's fine they produce the BEST kids and players and responsible people on this planent , the system is lauded as being the one that college coaches point to to emulate , kids are just better tougher and contribute more in all kinds of college systems in our great land , so my bad I am wrong and i Appologize to all the great young men in Hilliard they are clearly a cut above everyone else in every way. there that should do for a while that program prodcues more college level player sthan anyone and it's becuase they learn so much about unselfishness from thier coach who deflects blame and responsibility off of himself adn throws his Seniors under the bus in the paper no less in week two

THAT IS THE EPITOMY OF CLASS and unselfisheness, I do realize no amont of praise is ever enough for the average HD fan but that has to be good enough doesn';t it ?

PS if you have a kid who can either throw a ball or catch andrun with it MOVE AWAY FROM THAT DISTRICT IMMEDIATLEY

Stivic,

I've never mentioned any of the things on this forum you brought up in your very impassioned and somewhat rude response. I simply asked you a direct, reasonable question, and I'll ask again. You mention often here that players from Davidson are overlooked at the next level due to White's system. You know a lot about Davidson players. So who has been overlooked? You have to have some names in mind. Who are they? Who is a player who can catch and throw who has been denied an opportunity to do so at the next level due to White's system?

Here's a web site that lists Davidson players at the next level.

http://davidsonfootball.weebly.com/college-bound-cats.html

Who isn't on this list that should be, and who on this list is playing at a level below where they should be playing? This is a very specific question. Your knowledge of central football indicates that you must have a name or two in mind.

As an aside, yes I get very snotty on this board with that tool from Pickerington because he makes personal attacks on the kids themselves, an entire community, is a homophobic doofus that thinks that calling someone "queeer" is an insult, and doesn't deserve anything ever but to be made fun of over and over because his life isn't going to be complete until his team wins a state championship, which it may never do, and the team he hates has won two while beating the team he supports, and that's why he hates them (how's that for a sentence?). It's funny and I enjoy boxing his ears. Other than that, I pretty much support Davidson football the way all rational high school football fans support the teams in their community.

What did I say that wasn't true ? in fact the initial newspaper account that comes out on line right after the gamer included White's selfish diatribe of how they can't prepare becuase the Seniors have no leadership skills.

OK Do I have access to college recruiters brains and their thoughts and instincts ? NO I DO NOT , your claim is obvioulsy that the Davidson system hurts the player not one scintillia iota crum spec or is so infintissable to be unrecognized by the human eye.

YOU GOT ME COLLEGES DROOL OVER THESE KIDS BECUASE THEY LEARN SO MANY VARIOIUS DIVERSE SKILLS , AND JUST HEN DID I MENTION THIS LATELY ?

You say frequently but re-post the last time I made an issue of this please.

this list ? why don't YOU decipher the list and tell us why going to Hilliard Davidson to learn under the brightest most innovative mind in all of football is the best place to prepare to play at the next level , sticvic is wrong Davidson leads the pack in producing college football players .

Stivic is WRONG AIM HIGH LIKE MIKEY IS RIGHT he has a list and wants me to look at it ,. well I don't have to why don't you do it adn tell us how Davidson is the best place to be for all purposes as you all seem to think .

cAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOUR POSTS THE NEXT DECADE OF MEDIOCRITY

Ok Mike aim like a jet plane , as a rational supporter do you enjoy the way they play the game? be honest do you enjoy their system their way of doing things that White is a terrible loser throws kids under the bus makes the school split excuse the very year it appears his team is average ?

Do you think that the way they play puts winning above all else to the detriment of kids who can throw the football or catch it ? do you think that there has NEVER BEEN A GOOD PASSER TO EVER HAPPEN TO LIVE IN THAT ZIP CODE IN 15 YEARS ? REALLY ?/ DO YOU THINK THAT? Are you proud of your coach in victory and in defeat ?

Why don't you start by answering those questions

Stivic,

You need to calm down. Do you realize you come across as a bit of an idiot savant here?

You also need to respond only to what I write, and not what you ascribe to me what other Davidson supporters here have posted.

I have simply and politely asked you to tell me who has been deprived of a look at the next level due to White's style of football. So far you've been unable to do so, all CAPS (screaming, etc) aside.

This makes you appear to be frustrated because this style of football defeats a style of football that you think appeals more to college recruiters, even though you can present no empirical evidence otherwise. So the bottom line is, Davidson defeats Coffman, Davidson still puts kids in college, Stivic gets angry. Nothing new there. Fans who lose always are angry at the fans who win. You even pointed this out recently yourself in this thread.

If you notice from the list I posted a link to, there are many players on there at the next level specifically because of the style of football White deploys. The QBs at AF comes to mind immediately.

Would White's style of play be more effective if he were putting kids into Florida State than the AF Academy? Miami of Florida vs. Harvard? All the other academically-accomplished schools other than football factories? Has it ever occurred to you that Hilliard might want to help scholar-athletes succeed in schools that give them a future other than the NFL?

I know this makes you angry, Stivic. But there are parents who like to see their kids get a state-championship ring AND get into the AF Academy, or Harvard, or Miami of Ohio, Ohio Northern, etc. This might come as a shock to you, but every kid who has a championship ring doesn't have to end up at LSU. Some of these kids might even want to go on to a profession other than football.

Get it?

You are completely right Aim Davidson wins titles gets kids into better schools than Coffman and is all arounbd a much better school your point is taken . Is that your goial in the initial question ? If so there you go

The system is all about state titles and getting kids into Harvard your school is superior in every way to Coffman academically atheltically adn every way there is quite frankly and damn I AM FRUSTRATED I CAN'T BEAT YOU AIM YOU ARE IN THE SUPERIOR COMMUNITY YOUR TEAM KICK SCOFFMANS EACH YEAR EVERY YEAR IN EVERY SPORT . I am no shouting just leading the cheer that Davidson your school is better in everty way every sport and more sound academically as well .

If I left anything out lik eDavidson students are better looking more socially adept than Coffman students and also get much more money from school s to play footbal at sed school sthan Coffman kids is also spot on , colleges lik ewinners iin the world adn empirically speaking Davidson is leaps and bound head and shoulders btter than Coffman in every way and it damn frustrates me to no end you got me ther man , I can't deny it I need to move a few miles down the road to have my kids go to where you are AIM TOOTHPASTE .

if not for the school split a full 5 years After Dublin had one Davidson would surely kick Coffman's this year. This is fun for me , to you it seems your identity is completely wrapped up in patches on jackets that kids probalby wear untiL THEY ARE 22 and wel what is it you are most proud of about your community ? I can definatley be an idiot but a savant ? not sure that is applicable to me but I'll ask a Rhodes Scholar former Davidson student to assist me with that . Cmon man is that enough ??

Last edited:
Stivic,

Again, you need to calm down. Davidson does put football players into Harvard, the AF Academy, and a lot of other top-tier universities. I don't know what Dublin does, and I really don't care. But I do know that Davidson does win state championships and puts the kids on those state championship teams into top-tier schools.

This is an indisputable fact. Kids from Davidson, who have a championship ring, go to top-tier schools. Kids from Dublin may go to top-tier schools, and some of them may go to football factories, but as of now, no kids from Dublin go to top-tier schools with a football championship ring.

Stiv, you need to accept this. Raging against it doesn't change it. What you need to do is accept the fact that Davidson has a program that puts rings on the fingers of kids that might not get into the SEC, but do get into the Ivy League.

Embrace the truth, Stiv. It will set you free...

Look guy you took one statement that I made a throaway line really and tied to come on here as some erudite proffessor who was wanting to debate some complex condition .

You live in Hiliard you love Hilliard you think they do things the way they should be done you are proud of the way they win and that mkaes you feel like a winner , that's cool you ahve a good vocab you have a persona that yells tweed jacket. good for you , I am not frustrated by your community and the feeling that yours is superior , it's good for you tyhat's what counts and where I live is good for me PERIOD ps despite not having a state title to brag about I would take supporting coach Crabtree and Dublin Coffman over supporting Brian White and Hilliard Davidson any day of the week and twice on Sundays , so save the jealousy rant and the frustrated theory it isn't true and there is no empirical evidecne to prove otherwise LOL

Since you got all haughty with me , Coffman is a superior school to Davidson , does put more kids into elite school s does score better on standardized tests is ranked better than Davidson by everty possible measuring stick and that's that .

Not raging at all rather having fun getting you to get to the real meaning of your initial post except it doesn't hold water the state championships your kids who go off to college with MEAN PRETTY MUCH NOTHING except for the pride they wear their letter jacket at 21 years old with a patch on their arm . Don't get me wrong a state title in any sport is a great accomplishment that communities are and should be very proud of, it takes a lot of committment and hard work and Davidson has certainlly put in the work adn I have personally given them their props OVER AND OVER AGAIN. But save the WE PRODCUE ATHLETES GENTELEMN AND SCHOLARS CRAP AS IF NO ONE ELSE ACHEIVES THAT. gOING OFF TO COLLEGE WITH A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP RING ? Does that get the kids a two for one footlong at the campus Subway ? Does it exempt them from takikng Frosh English ? Do they just show the ring and get intom the movies for half price ? Going to college with a ring on their finger means what exactly ?

You crossed the line when you infer that Davidson wins and produces good students who go on to elite universities and Coffman Well " YOU DON'[T KNOW WHAT THEY DO " as if Davidson is actually superior in that way FALSE WRONG RIDICULOUS . Coffman's overall athletic department and it's academic standing is BETTER THAN DAVIDSON'S , you have your two titles in be happy with that i';m sure you are , but trust me I wouldn't trade places .

Last edited:
Stivic,

Again, you need to calm down. Davidson does put football players into Harvard, the AF Academy, and a lot of other top-tier universities. I don't know what Dublin does, and I really don't care. But I do know that Davidson does win state championships and puts the kids on those state championship teams into top-tier schools.

This is an indisputable fact. Kids from Davidson, who have a championship ring, go to top-tier schools. Kids from Dublin may go to top-tier schools, and some of them may go to football factories, but as of now, no kids from Dublin go to top-tier schools with a football championship ring.

Stiv, you need to accept this. Raging against it doesn't change it. What you need to do is accept the fact that Davidson has a program that puts rings on the fingers of kids that might not get into the SEC, but do get into the Ivy League.

Embrace the truth, Stiv. It will set you free...

Those on the outside looking in don't understand when it comes to colleges BIG isn't always better for every individual. The average HS football fan doesn't know how hard it is to reach the field at the D-1 level. They automatically assume every kid with big time offers are the best players. The chances of going to the NFL in most cases are slim to none. D-1 recruiting is mostly based on hype, potential and luck of the draw. They fail to realize several "star rated" players transfer to smaller schools after "riding the pine" at D-1 colleges. Coffman standout Trey Fairchild eventually transferred to Otterbein where he became a star WR again. Frosh WR Tyler Talbott (Davidson) is expected to get his first start this week at Alderson Broaddus. To me both players were very similar in HS. Trey was in a passing offense Tyler wasn't. He was able to shine as an "athlete" at multiple positions. It had to have been a major component to attract recruiters.

I don't see why Stiv or anyone else has a problem with kids going to play at the academy or any other school. If a kid is furthering his education at a college institution it shouldn't matter at all.

Last edited:
Fairchild was a better player than Talbott , BUT you have a point he didn't get opputunities to mkae catches in High School so that was taken out of the equation, similar skill sets , but Fairchild was the better stronger player , no offense to Tyler adn may be if he could have been a receiver he would have been as productive as Trey was or closer to that level

WHEN DID I EVER SAY I HAVE ANYTHING AGAISNT THE ACADEMY'S in fact if you can get in by al means go it's the BEST VALUE IN EDUCATION .

HAVE NOTHING BUT RESPECT FOR ANY ACademy student , MY BROTHER IN LAW IS A NAVAL ACADEMY GRAD . no probelm with any kid playing small college ball or at any academy , I have mentioned that Davidson offesnively runs that system and it may limit a kids options such as school slooking for pass blocking skills ball skills catching the football and obvioulsy a QB's throwing skills never being shocased becuase even at the Academy's they pass the football once in a while at the college level becuase you HAVE TO against some opponents . HD wil find they wil have to throw the footbal agasint some opponents this season as they won't be as able to grind out the first downs as they have in other years . NO PROBLEM WITH ANY KID PLAYING ANYWHERE , WHERE DID YOU GET THAT ?

Fairchild was a better player than Talbott , BUT you have a point he didn't get opputunities to mkae catches in High School so that was taken out of the equation, similar skill sets , but Fairchild was the better stronger player , no offense to Tyler adn may be if he could have been a receiver he would have been as productive as Trey was or closer to that level

WHEN DID I EVER SAY I HAVE ANYTHING AGAISNT THE ACADEMY'S in fact if you can get in by al means go it's the BEST VALUE IN EDUCATION .

HAVE NOTHING BUT RESPECT FOR ANY ACademy student , MY BROTHER IN LAW IS A NAVAL ACADEMY GRAD . no probelm with any kid playing small college ball or at any academy , I have mentioned that Davidson offesnively runs that system and it may limit a kids options such as school slooking for pass blocking skills ball skills catching the football and obvioulsy a QB's throwing skills never being shocased becuase even at the Academy's they pass the football once in a while at the college level becuase you HAVE TO against some opponents . HD wil find they wil have to throw the footbal agasint some opponents this season as they won't be as able to grind out the first downs as they have in other years . NO PROBLEM WITH ANY KID PLAYING ANYWHERE , WHERE DID YOU GET THAT ?

Fairchild was a more productive HS WR not a better athlete.IMO I believe Talbott could have easily been a top-notch WR at a pass first school like Coffman, especially with Stoneburner demanding double teams. Anyway, this discussion is about recruiting not HS productivity. My point is, both players ended up playing the same position in college coming from dissimilar style HS offenses. You always claim HD doesn't develop HS talent. It looks like both schools have kids playing, transferring, sitting and moving up depth charts at the next level where ever that may be.

You always say there are only 3-4 colleges that run HD offense etc....pass blocking can easily be taught to kids with quick feet. I don't care how much you pass if a kid has slow feet he will have a tough time with pass protection at the next level. Even Mike Adams had trouble adjusting at the next level before turning pro. Phil Huff is starting C at Kent St. who knows where that could take him? The last KSU C Chris Anzevino signed with the Ravens. Montenero is a two year starter at KSU D-2.... did well enough to start as a frosh. I don't hear alot about QB's from the OCC playing the same postion at the next level. There seem to be more getting recruited as "athletes" good pro-style QB's are hard to find in these parts.

fAIRCHILD WAS A 1-AA player he isnt a D-3 Talent circumstances have dicated that he is playing at that level , trey was a threat at running the ball as wel he got a few carries on sweeps while in motion in most games , he was a bit bigger and stronger than Talbott and more of a threat and Stoneburner wasn't always doubled , I see you working and I see the similairities but Trey was a better high school player and if you switched them Trey would have been just as good a runner back as Talbott probably better becuase he was touigher to bring down MUCH TOUGHER ACTUALLY he ran harder with the ball and was may be faster eqaul at worst and Talbott wouldn't have been the reciever Trey was IMO .,

No bias just evaluating honestly , Trey could have been a great defensive back adn played there at the end of close games was a better kick returner as Davidson found out in his Junior year and came to Coffman as a QB and played and prodcued at that position as a Sophomore , Yes I Know Talbott made a few plays aS a Soph but he wasn't as versatile a footbal player as Trey was in High school .

My guess is only Hilliard fans woujld even suggest they were equal talewnts at the high school level and probably not very strongly at that .

I love talking personnel and I know presonnel noty always right but in tnhis case I quite certain having seen both perform enough times to see the difference .

I don't see why Stiv or anyone else has a problem with kids going to play at the academy or any other school. If a kid is furthering his education at a college institution it shouldn't matter at all.
Amen to that. I would argue that Fairchild would have been better off going to Otterbein from the get-go. He has obviously flourished there, and that's much better than riding the pine at a DI school.

I think of Brad McKinley the same way. He did very well for himself out at Wittenberg, and let's face it, a 5'8"/190 lbs LBer isn't going to get a second look from a DI program. He probably had the talent to go to at least a DII program, but at the end of the day, who cares? He was a star at Wittenberg, and he has a good degree to show for it. That's my bottom line (as if that really matters).

NEVER BEGRUDGED ANY KID FOR GOING TO ANY SCHOOL you people are ridiculous , nothing of aqny kind of substance to say so you make crap up .

Of course in hindsight you can say that genius , but he was more than A D-3 PROSPECT out of high school , so he didn;t go that route , i agree that sometimes people go to a school where they don't end up playing at and may be could have played somewhere else . Most kids play at small schools the odds of even playing 1-AA{ I stil call it that } are slim for most heck a loty of good high school players never strap the chin strap on again.

I HAVE A PROBELM WITH A KID GETTING INTO THE ACADEMY ? AHH NO I DON'T stop making crap up . I DON'T CARE WHERE KIDS GO TO SCHOOL except my own some day PERIOD END OF STORY

fAIRCHILD WAS A 1-AA player he isnt a D-3 Talent circumstances have dicated that he is playing at that level , trey was a threat at running the ball as wel he got a few carries on sweeps while in motion in most games , he was a bit bigger and stronger than Talbott and more of a threat and Stoneburner wasn't always doubled , I see you working and I see the similairities but Trey was a better high school player and if you switched them Trey would have been just as good a runner back as Talbott probably better becuase he was touigher to bring down MUCH TOUGHER ACTUALLY he ran harder with the ball and was may be faster eqaul at worst and Talbott wouldn't have been the reciever Trey was IMO .,

No bias just evaluating honestly , Trey could have been a great defensive back adn played there at the end of close games was a better kick returner as Davidson found out in his Junior year and came to Coffman as a QB and played and prodcued at that position as a Sophomore , Yes I Know Talbott made a few plays aS a Soph but he wasn't as versatile a footbal player as Trey was in High school .

My guess is only Hilliard fans woujld even suggest they were equal talewnts at the high school level and probably not very strongly at that .

I love talking personnel and I know presonnel noty always right but in tnhis case I quite certain having seen both perform enough times to see the difference .

I believe they were both utilized as second and third options in HS. I think (with some work at WR) Talbott had enough speed & talent to be a MAC level recruit. He is already starting at a soon to be full fledged D-2 college. You claim Trey left Cuse for reasons other than riding the pine? According to this article he was buried deep in the depth chart.http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2009/03/fairchild_harden_no_longer_on.html

Amen to that. I would argue that Fairchild would have been better off going to Otterbein from the get-go. He has obviously flourished there, and that's much better than riding the pine at a DI school.

I think of Brad McKinley the same way. He did very well for himself out at Wittenberg, and let's face it, a 5'8"/190 lbs LBer isn't going to get a second look from a DI program. He probably had the talent to go to at least a DII program, but at the end of the day, who cares? He was a star at Wittenberg, and he has a good degree to show for it. That's my bottom line (as if that really matters).

Brad had a GREAT college career at Wittenberg that kid was a beast on the gridiron! It's always great to revisit the article First-Ever Dave Maurer HonoraryScholarship To Football.http://www4.wittenberg.edu/news/athletics1/news/2008releases/11_01.html

I agree, Fairchild was much better off at the D-3 level, at the end of the day his transfer paid off. http://www.otterbeincardinals.com/news/2011/12/19/FB_1219113854.aspx?path=football

Third option ? Bottom line you ask ANYONE outside of Dublin AND Hilliard and who saw those two and they wil almost all say Fairchild was th bigger threat the more prodcutive dangerous tougher and better all around player PERIOD END OF STORY. you can't just say the system is great then tell us that , ": WELL IT BURIESD A KIDS TRUE TALENT AND POTENTIAL. n ONE SAW A REALLY GOOD HIGH SCHOOL PLAYER IN Talbott may7 be it wasn't his fault but he wasn';t as good ON THE FIELD THAN TREY WAS WHILE IN HIGH SCHOOL

Had some injury problesm wasn;t happy up there didn't eman he was a D-3 player didn';t mean Talbott became a better player AFTER THE FACT.

If you watched Talbott and Fairchild iin High School AND say they are eqaul you don';t know what your talking about , Talbott had much less impact on his team that Fairchild did PERIOD , Stop with teh equal comparision MY EYE BALLS TOLD ME FAIRCHOLD WAS THE BETTER ATHLETE

I'm sure there are many kids who never got a chance for people to see what they could really do at HD , just the way it is but as a result if I don't see it I don't know , adn Talbott wa sa nice player with good speed but not Fairchild's caliber as a player

Alos if you are telling me that Tyler Talbott is Fairchild's equal atheltically WHY NO D-1 OR EVEN FCS OFFERS ? are you telling me Davidson squashed the kids college oppurtunities ? are you saying Coffman's system made Trey run a 4.4 40 adn break tACKLES AND MKAE PLAYS RETURN KICKS FOR TD'S AND GET OFFERS ? and that HD'S system prevented Tyler from getting bigger schools to look at him ? seeing as he is just as good that would tell me HD DOES HINDER a kid's college oppurtunties ?

Which is it , some of you tell me there is no empirical data to suggest that HD hinders ANY KID'S DEVELOPMENT AS A PLAYER OR FUTURE PROSPECTS and then another guy tells me IT DID IN THIS CASE? WHICH IS IT AGAIN ?

Or is this crap just a chacne to bag on a Coffman former player ? YOu guys have no clue what your talking about anyway and it shows more and more all the time , I wil repeat just becuase your team that you support won a few more close games than other programs around here it does not mean you know more about football or football players it doesn't give you any more credibility out here , you act as if you have all the answers bercuase of that, YOU DON'T CLEARLY AND OBVIOUSLY.