Week 2: Boardman (1-0) @ Cardinal Mooney (0-1)

Woody Hayes used to say " give me 2 or 3 studs and I'll coach a team around them". Don't know the numbers, but I'm pretty sure St. Ignatius doesn't have overwhelming number of boys over a school like Mentor, yet they have far more state titles. It's the program. The complaint of private having far more reach to get kids can be negated with open enrollment. It's a case of whether a school wants kids from outside their district or not, but it's an option if they want it. I believe Massillon, Glennville, and Warren all have open enrollment, when's the last time they won a title? It's the program.

Special teams cost Boardman tonight. A couple plays here and there and it could have been a tight game going into the 4th quarter. However a 3 yard punt and a 7 yard punt are going to lead to the wheels falling off.

Perhaps not. But is 1 offensive touchdown through 3 quarters scoring at will? Think about that. Granted the offense was pathetic enough to make a 7-0 lead seem safe, but that game was really not over until that fourth quarter. All of Mooney's scores were on big plays, something the Spartans even struggled with last week.

Perhaps not. But is 1 offensive touchdown through 3 quarters scoring at will? Think about that. Granted the offense was pathetic enough to make a 7-0 lead seem safe, but that game was really not over until that fourth quarter. All of Mooney's scores were on big plays, something the Spartans even struggled with last week.

so we only look at the 1st 3 quarters of football these days? so does that mean mooney won just 7-0 insted of that absolute beatdown 37-0?

seriously when you give up 30 in a quarter and dont score at all the whole game, you're team was abolutley dominated. no other way of putting up, spin it and make all the excuses you want, Boardman had no buisness playing tonight

Dude like seriously, do you know anything about Football. You, the entire Boardman community, School Administration, and Coaching staff act as if Boardman is a legit contender. They are no where close to a good football team. The special teams coach deserves to be fired tonight. I have never seen such bad special teams in a game. I wont even blame the players, because it is not their fault. COACHING! was a huge reason to why Boardman lost tonight.

Special Teams looked as if they never practiced once this week. Is it me or isnt the first part of practice suppose to be special teams.

As for Boardmans offense, Cleghorne should go back to North Carolina and not show his face in Boardman ever again. I wouldn't after what he showed out there tonight. How many times are you going to run the QB read, like in all honesty! Is this the new Jet Sweep? Which also did not work tonight. I don't understand why your running a no huddle when the only team getting tired is your own offense.

This is where I blame D'eramo! How in the hell can't you find players for both sides of the ball. Most of those kids were going both ways, while mooney was subbing in and out always having fresh legs on the field. That in it self showed as Boardman couldn't tackle and had horrible pursuit angles.

Back to the offense. Why is this team trying to make a high school offense so complicated. Coming out in all these fancy formations as if their the Oregon Ducks. This is high school football, and your team is most definitly not made of athletes for such a offense. Babos, has to be given credit for getting such bad play calls and still doing decent.

I don't understand why Babos has to rollout on every pass play. What does this do other than show the defense what side the pass will go to, and make it easier for the Dline to get pressure, and making it harder on Babos to set his feet and throw. I really can't understand what went on tonight. It looked like the plays were drawn up on the fly....ridiculous.

Its high school football, and Boardman has enough speed to play smash mouth football. Line up in the maryland-I, and pound the dang ball. That offense can come up with 4 yds a pop easily in that formation. You can run your read options out of it too! I just don't get Deramo and Cleghorne. It is absoulty pathethic. I feel so bad for them kids, they are busting their butts out there to no avail. Due to the terrible offensive play calls. #3 the backup QB should be playing RB, and they should be in the Maryland-I. Doing this change alone would drastically help out Boardman.

Benedictine is not a good football team, and to all those Boardman fans that thought last week was a big deal. Mooney just brought all of you back to reality.

Congrats to Mooney for winning, you guys were given a lot less respect for the beating you took from Iggy. Iggy is a top 5 team in the State without question, and would dominate Boardman too. You guys proved your team and COACHING are 2 to 3 levels above Boardman!

Also....GREAT COACHING IN THE 4TH QTR! Goes from a 16-0 game to a 37-0 absolute laugher. Get all of them out of there, hire someone outside the Boardman community!!!!!! That alone will lead to success.

Dude like seriously, do you know anything about Football. You, the entire Boardman community, School Administration, and Coaching staff act as if Boardman is a legit contender. They are no where close to a good football team. The special teams coach deserves to be fired tonight. I have never seen such bad special teams in a game. I wont even blame the players, because it is not their fault. COACHING! was a huge reason to why Boardman lost tonight.

Special Teams looked as if they never practiced once this week. Is it me or isnt the first part of practice suppose to be special teams.

As for Boardmans offense, Cleghorne should go back to North Carolina and not show his face in Boardman ever again. I wouldn't after what he showed out there tonight. How many times are you going to run the QB read, like in all honesty! Is this the new Jet Sweep? Which also did not work tonight. I don't understand why your running a no huddle when the only team getting tired is your own offense.

This is where I blame D'eramo! How in the hell can't you find players for both sides of the ball. Most of those kids were going both ways, while mooney was subbing in and out always having fresh legs on the field. That in it self showed as Boardman couldn't tackle and had horrible pursuit angles.

Back to the offense. Why is this team trying to make a high school offense so complicated. Coming out in all these fancy formations as if their the Oregon Ducks. This is high school football, and your team is most definitly not made of athletes for such a offense. Babos, has to be given credit for getting such bad play calls and still doing decent.

I don't understand why Babos has to rollout on every pass play. What does this do other than show the defense what side the pass will go to, and make it easier for the Dline to get pressure, and making it harder on Babos to set his feet and throw. I really can't understand what went on tonight. It looked like the plays were drawn up on the fly....ridiculous.

Its high school football, and Boardman has enough speed to play smash mouth football. Line up in the maryland-I, and pound the dang ball. That offense can come up with 4 yds a pop easily in that formation. You can run your read options out of it too! I just don't get Deramo and Cleghorne. It is absoulty pathethic. I feel so bad for them kids, they are busting their butts out there to no avail. Due to the terrible offensive play calls. #3 the backup QB should be playing RB, and they should be in the Maryland-I. Doing this change alone would drastically help out Boardman.

Benedictine is not a good football team, and to all those Boardman fans that thought last week was a big deal. Mooney just brought all of you back to reality.

Congrats to Mooney for winning, you guys were given a lot less respect for the beating you took from Iggy. Iggy is a top 5 team in the State without question, and would dominate Boardman too. You guys proved your team and COACHING are 2 to 3 levels above Boardman!

i think Bene might be better then some think, they just took Stuebenville down to the wire, i think Bene was just looking past boardman otherwise Boardman is probably 0-2 right now

Agreed. Boardman's lack of size up front showed this week. Also ,as I've said, I hate the number of kids going both ways. Tired and somewhat undersized kids are going to get worn down over 4 qtrs.

Boardmans D played pretty well overall though despite the score. The offense and special teams did them no favors.

Speaking of the special teams...this has to be the absolute worst special teams I've ever seen at Boardman. The coaching staff really is the only thing you can blame. No reason you can't find a decent kicker and punter at Boardman. Or develop what you have. Not sure how this area was so neglected in the offseason,but it's really inexcusable.

The offense was a concern going into the year and still is. The problem is you have a FB playing QB. Your best RB isnt playing and may not all year. And, as mentioned, you have linemen going both ways. In general it's just really a mess over there this year. Babos has done an admirable job there at QB and plays hard, but ideally he'd only play D and maybe limited action as a FB as needed.

Let's hope things gets straightened out. Right now this isnt a playoff caliber team, but if they can improve each week who knows.

Good luck to Mooney. Not sure this is one of their best teams, but it is a good team. They should have a good year and be in the hunt for another title. Size alone ,most teams will have a hard time matching up.

Look, I was not trying to make excuses, I just needed to point out a couple of things that wouldn't have been mentioned like the size and depth disadvantages. Those were obvious. But heck, Mooney had many of their guys playing 2 ways. The offensive playcalling was not good, but it wouldn't have mattered. And on defense, Boardman got intimidated by the bubble screen looks with the stacked receivers and left the middle of the field wide open for Ellis-Moore to run through. Martin was always throwing behind and underthrowing receivers, it would have been better to dare him to throw.

The scary thing is what happens after this season when the Babos twins and a few other talented seniors depart. It could be another 2003-2006 type period unless the kids coming up from Glenwood do well. Those teams even had 75-85 kids. They could be down to 45-50 kids looking at the sidelines this year, to go along with a kicking game that rivals Glenville's. Although Ian Simmons's late departure to Labrae sure didn't help the Spartans kicking game.

Congratulations to the Cardinals on working hard this past week in practice and showing an immense turn around between last week and tonight. Although they still have a lot of room for improvement I was pleasantly surprised with the level of play compared to last week. Martin showed that he learned from his mistakes last week and is working to correct them. The offensive and defensive lines were exponentially better than last week.

With that being said I have to wonder if St. Ignatius is that good or Boardman is that bad. I thought the QB #24 is a very good athlete but he's playing out of position. Other than him I didn't see anyone who stood out. The middle linebacker likes to jump on the pile and talk a lot but he's not very good. I believe he got ejected from the game for saying something to the ref. I know kids get frustrated but there is no excuse for acting like a little kid and hurting your team.

Look, I was not trying to make excuses, I just needed to point out a couple of things that wouldn't have been mentioned like the size and depth disadvantages. Those were obvious. But heck, Mooney had many of their guys playing 2 ways. The offensive playcalling was not good, but it wouldn't have mattered. And on defense, Boardman got intimidated by the bubble screen looks with the stacked receivers and left the middle of the field wide open for Ellis-Moore to run through. Martin was always throwing behind and underthrowing receivers, it would have been better to dare him to throw.

The scary thing is what happens after this season when the Babos twins and a few other talented seniors depart. It could be another 2003-2006 type period unless the kids coming up from Glenwood do well. Those teams even had 75-85 kids. They could be down to 45-50 kids looking at the sidelines this year, to go along with a kicking game that rivals Glenville's. Although Ian Simmons's late departure to Labrae sure didn't help the Spartans kicking game.

What are you talking about? Intimidated by bubble screen looks?!?!?!? What are you talking about here. Half those plays were off tackle zones and such. Mooney has never been a pass team, so why would they be worried about a screen. Odds are it was a call at the line type of play. If Boardman went to cover the WRs on the outside, the call was probally run the ball, and vice versa if they stayed in. The 4-4 is so 1980s football. It limits you so much in the defensive game.

Plain in simple no depth...terrible coaching leaves Boardman starting the season 2-2, or 1-3. They won't beat Fitch, so they better get their heads staight for a subpar Hoban team.

Reasonable, remember the TD Mooney had on their opening drive called back due to holding? That was what I was referring to. Once Mooney got Boardman to sell out by bringing an extra linebacker out wide, they were just able to use their size, open up a hole, and score. That's virtually how all their non punt return TDs were scored. It didn't take much coaching for Mooney to win, but that and the adjustment to switch from solely the pistol and focus more on the I with Dermotta at FB is what put the nail in Boardman's coffin.

OK, I saw BHS against Benny live and Mooney vs Igs live.

My take: Boardman does not have the physical line play right now, nor the quickness in the front 7 to handle Mooney. that is defensively. They have a great DE in babos and a great LB in the other Babos. Other than that, they might be dominated. They start a soph at DT who has never played OL or DL before last week. Hard nosed kid but that's quite a transformation to make, from RB and LB to OL and DL.

True Boardman does have some skill this year but their lack of physicality and quickness on the O line makes it much easier to stop their run. BHS still runs east/west way too much for my liking. Their QB, Babos is much like Tebow, a load to bring down, I would scheme to stop his middle runs (Hello Courtney Love). He is not going to stun anybody with his passing although he is serviceable.

Mooney OL vs BHS front 7--Big advantage to Mooney

Mooney Front 7 vs BHS OL--advantage to Mooney

Mooney DBs vs BHS passing--advantage to Mooney

Mooney passing vs BHS DBs---What passing? They won't have to.

I hope I am wrong cause I do have some investment at Boardman and I'd like to see them keep it close, but I see a dominating win for the Cards.

BHS has to get lucky, get some turnovers and maybe do something on special teams, along with Patterson coming up with some kind of junky scheme to win this game.

17-24 point Mooney win.

Ahem, if anyone needs help in handicapping future high school games, just ask me.

Wow, very thought provoking.
Anyways I do know how to put on a jock strap but I didn't grow up in the 50's so therefore I do not wear one of those. Also, Im not a kid, Im a man, Im 40. Yep congrats on those 8 state titles, maybe you guys should put Boardman Glenwood on the sch next year instead of the highschool. That way you will be more use to the level of competition you will recieve when you get into the playoffs.

Also after getting word of how Mooney looks this year, and seeing Boardman play. I retake my account of Boardman not winning, I know favorite Boardman by 10.

BTW you could have 9! But your "gods gift to football" team of 07 lost to itty bitty Coldwater.

Maybe we should put Glenwood on the schedule? We played 4 teams last year in the playoffs that were better than this years Boardman team.

:hello:
Anyways I do know how to put on a jock strap but I didn't grow up in the 50's so therefore I do not wear one of those. Also, Im not a kid, Im a man, Im 40. Yep congrats on those 8 state titles, maybe you guys should put Boardman Glenwood on the sch next year instead of the highschool. That way you will be more use to the level of competition you will recieve when you get into the playoffs.

Also after getting word of how Mooney looks this year, and seeing Boardman play. I retake my account of Boardman not winning, I know favorite Boardman by 10.

BTW you could have 9! But your "gods gift to football" team of 07 lost to itty bitty Coldwater.
Maybe we should put Glenwood on the schedule to get a little work. BHS didn't put up much of a fight. :shrug:

Funny.

Someone needs to tell Boardman fans to do away with false bravado. Especially when it comes to Mooney.

Funny.

Someone needs to tell Boardman fans to do away with false bravado. Especially when it comes to Mooney.

Things go in cycles. Like I mentioned Boardman was the one getting the better of the series in the 90s and early part of the decade and even put a big time beat down on Mooney in 2001. Things can change quickly. It's not the first time either team has had a few game winning streak against the other.

And Boardman has good talent in the 7th-9th grades, so things are looking up. The coaching staff needs to get more kids out though. Not sure what the issue is with the #s at the varsity level. Just kids being lazy and not wanting to make the commitment to sports or an issue with not wanting to play for the coaching staff? Boardman should always have 70+ on the team.

Lots of time this year to fix the current team issues and the other issues need to be resolved in the offseason. The difference right now betwee Mooney and Boardman IMO are the depth(more #s) and more size. Can't do much about #2 but the first can be fixed with more emphasis on football and getting the best athletes out.

Funny.

I personally don't care. I like giving all you Mooney armchair QBs a hardon when I bad mouth your team is all. I never in my life will favor Boardman over anyone, their coaching is pathetic. South Range or Campbell would woop Boardman.

I need info on the ending of the game. Mooney peeps on FB are complaining of dirty play. Was somebody from BHS ejected? Why?

Ahh, a classy Spartan :p lol. It is obvious Benedictine looked past Boardman and focused on Steubenville. Benny changed the offense dramatically against Stuebneville. The Benny team that played Steubenville was 10x better than the one that played Boardman. You my sir are insulting a good football team. If Benny played Boardman again this year, I would put a $100 on Benny :rainbow:

Space
I am sorry to tell you the game was already played. Woulda shoulda coulda... No way was Benny looking ahead to Steubenville.

Boardman just not big enough up front on the lines to stay with Mooney. Tough loss

How the blazes does Boardman not have size?

This team underachieves year in and out.

Remember when Boardman used to give st I great games every year? What happened?

How the blazes does Boardman not have size?

This team underachieves year in and out.

Remember when Boardman used to give st I great games every year? What happened?

Underachieves year in and out? Based on what? Boardman made the playoffs 3 of the last 5 years. And they've been eliminated by very good Ignatius teams(2x) and Glenville in the 2nd Rd. They also won the Federal League last year.

I'm not exactly sure what some of you think Boardman's expectations should be. Apparently you think Boardman has a team and school full of big time D-1 football players. If we had kids the size of Mooneys OL I'm sure they would be on the team. We don't right now. We also don't have an inflow of talent through open enrollment or private schools like some of the other top programs do. I'd have more of an issue if we outsized everyone we played and got pushed around. That's not the case. Pound for pound Boardman is always one of the stronger teams.

Could things be improved at Boardman with the football program top to bottom? I'm sure there many things that could be. Actually I know there can be. But let's not act like Boardman has Glenville or Ignatius #s or talent right now. That's where we'd like to be, but it takes a lot more work considering the limitations of a closed enrollment public school.