Week 13: Division III Region 9 Semifinal #3 Ursuline Fighting Irish (10-2) vs #2 Canfield Cardinals (10-1)

Is Canfield going to get a chance to avenge their loss to Chardon last year or will the Irish get a

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ya I have no dog in this fight but I’ll say Ursuline is extremely lucky. I’m not sure how the refs blew that fumble call on the final drive that resulted in a touchdown. There’s no other storyline nearly as interesting to me as long as Ursuline is still in this game lol.

Final
Canfield 33
Ursuline 25

Congratulations to Canfield on the victory. Broc's rushing ability could not be stopped by Ursuline in that 2nd qtr. Best of luck vs Chardon.

I watched the game on TV. There was no doubt that there were some bad calls on the part of the refs, but it did not impact the reality of the game. Canfield was just much more physical. I question a heck of a lot of decisions made by the Ursuline coaching staff as well.

Well it’s really not a canfield school other than the address of the school building. It’s still North Lima/Greenford/Beaver
No, the property the school and stadium lies on is technically Canfield, otherwise they couldn't utilize Canfield facilities (water was the driving factor), however the property adjacent on the South side of both the school and stadium are no longer Canfield. The line is literally right after the school. Although I am not sure how much further down 46 is still a Canfield mailing address. But the mailing address is not related to why it is considered to be in Canfield. Also before you ask, if you look at a map and say well it doesn't show it on the map, that is because when small areas are annexed it is sometimes not practical to show on maps because it would be too confusing. Canfield has annexed a lot of different areas and developments and they are not all shown on a map.

So the school is in Canfield, but the students come from mostly North Lima, Greenford, Beaver, etc.

Ursuline was disappointing this season. They had a loaded team but for some reason they struggle to play defense and the offense is sort of all over the place. They are rotating QB's, RB's, and for some reason they brought in a DT to play wildcat QB on offense despite having a QB that can run, a pretty good RB, and an explosive dual-threat QB in Ferrell. If Ursuline is going to remain in D3 then Reardon needs to tighten things up. This isn't D5 where you can just hand the ball off to Akise Teague and steamroll rural teams on your way to an easy state title.

Credit goes to Canfield though. They pounded a good Aurora team and led from start to finish against Ursuline. Chardon is a tough matchup but at this point it would be silly to count them out.

Right, it’s the exact point I made. The school district is virtually, if not identically, the same as when the school was on 164 in North Lima.
Yes you are correct the district boundaries did not change when the new school was built in what is now the very Southern edge of Canfield. Although I know a few kids that live in Canfield off 46 just North of South Range attend South Range not Canfield.

Yes you are correct the district boundaries did not change when the new school was built in what is now the very Southern edge of Canfield. Although I know a few kids that live in Canfield off 46 just North of South Range attend South Range not Canfield.
So South Range has open enrollment? Canfield doesn't have it?

So South Range has open enrollment? Canfield doesn't have it?
As I understand it, the kids living immediately North of the new school in extreme Southern Canfield TWP are given the option of either Canfield or South Range. Anyone residing in Canfield or Canfield TWP is automatically eligible to attend Canfield Local Schools. Canfield is closed to only residents living within the established district boundaries. South Range is open to adjacent districts, but not all districts. I was told South Range treats this small area North of the school the same as if it was inside their district boundaries just due to the exceptionally close geographic proximity and it was formerly not Canfield before it was annexed when the new school was built.

The Ursuline play-calling seemed to be all over the place last night. Almost like they outsmarted themselves.
The most glaring head-scratcher obviously was the 2nd-and-goal at the one, and putting a lineman in the shotgun behind center. Almost like, "hey look, I need to show I can get really cute with my play-calling and look like a genius......" The play was a disaster from the get-go. Tried to get the play off so damn fast, it was just a horrendous mess. Why get cute that close to the goal line with the talent you have on the field? There's probably a 99.5% chance you score a TD on one of your next three plays if you just keep it simple. I though there were a number of other questionable decisions throughout the night, but that one play seemed to signify the night in general for Ursuline. That being said, this was Canfield's night. The Cardinals earned the victory, they were clearly the better team. Great representatives for the MV.

The Ursuline play-calling seemed to be all over the place last night. Almost like they outsmarted themselves.
The most glaring head-scratcher obviously was the 2nd-and-goal at the one, and putting a lineman in the shotgun behind center. Almost like, "hey look, I need to show I can get really cute with my play-calling and look like a genius......" The play was a disaster from the get-go. Tried to get the play off so damn fast, it was just a horrendous mess. Why get cute that close to the goal line with the talent you have on the field? There's probably a 99.5% chance you score a TD on one of your next three plays if you just keep it simple. I though there were a number of other questionable decisions throughout the night, but that one play seemed to signify the night in general for Ursuline. That being said, this was Canfield's night. The Cardinals earned the victory, they were clearly the better team. Great representatives for the MV.
Canfield was the more physical team on both sides of the ball.