Week 12: The Evil Empire (Part Deux)

#7 for X Not very good. #3 for X worse when it comes to Passing. Who next on the depth chart? Who more overrated the X OC or #7?

That 3rd and 2 from around Moe's 20-25 yard line was an empty set on 1st series of the game for St X. It was a Jet to #3 to the short side of the field where St X was outnumbered. St. X had WR #12, who is sophomore, try blocking Moe's DE who is going to Virginia. #7 in shotgun, #3 goes in motion, and jump the jet. Why? It's predictable because there are no designed run plays for #7, #3 only runs, and no running back in backfield.

Now your 4th and 7 and #7 misses a wide open WR on a 10 yard out route by a mile. Nobody surprised after watching St. X the past two seasons. St. X comes up empty and turnover on downs. Lost by 3 and St X needs every point they can get with #7 at QB.

St X do what's best for program/team.
I stand corrected on the 3rd and 2 play-- I thought it was a shotgun formation handoff to a RB lined up right next to the QB-- you indicate that it was (instead) a shotgun handoff to a RB/WR coming across on a Jet Sweep (STILL handed off 7-8 yards deep)-- again, not a short-yardage play designed with a high probability of either getting the first down or making it 4th and Very Short... it was, instead, another high stakes Boom or Bust type play-- not what I would call "playing the odds" (that WERE in X's favor at that point), to ensure some success (or very minimal loss)-- and thus ensure putting points on the board.

Will Herbstreit stay at X for his sr yr?
Unless he's going to have the starting job, I don't think he stays. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him develop, but there seemed to be zero growth this year.

3 will be fine as long as he continues to learn. He was asked to not do much besides running this year, but was fine throwing last year. An off season focused at QB learning mechanics and reading defense, and he will be good next year, and a force his senior year. I will be disappointed if he's not the starter next August.

Alot of time and effort is put in by coaches, players, and parents at a school like St X, which I believe magnifies the QB situation.

Why #7 continues to be at QB is just speculation, but you can't overlook the truth. The lack of success and production on the field with #7 at QB is a problem over the last two years. I've watched three decades of St X football, and I can't remember another QB given so much leeway.

St X do what's best for program/team.
This post is hard to hear, but needs to be said. I think most would agree there are better QBs in the school, and that QB7 hasn't improved enough to just be handed the job. In fact, things may be going backwards.

I hope #7 stays at X and graduates as it'd be hard on a kid to uproot him his final year, regardless of the reason. Having #87 out hurt X in the game as that kid is rangy with good hands and 6'6". The other thing is the second to last pass attempt to #6 was a good throw. The kid just happened to drop it. Would it have made a difference in the outcome, who knows? The future looks bright for the Bomber football team.

I hope #7 stays at X and graduates as it'd be hard on a kid to uproot him his final year, regardless of the reason. Having #87 out hurt X in the game as that kid is rangy with good hands and 6'6". The other thing is the second to last pass attempt to #6 was a good throw. The kid just happened to drop it. Would it have made a difference in the outcome, who knows? The future looks bright for the Bomber football team.
I think he stays. He has a year left, and he can still improve and compete for the job. He should be given that right to compete for it as well.

Best case scenario is Herbie and Vollmer both being weapons for the team. Time to get to work.

This post is hard to hear, but needs to be said. I think most would agree there are better QBs in the school, and that QB7 hasn't improved enough to just be handed the job. In fact, things may be going backwards.
Come on, in the last 30 yrs, if there was a stud QB they were used. The goal was to win a game 10-7. Score just enough and play great defense. In the last 5-10 yrs there has been a little more focus because there was a run of studs. Clifford, Wolf, Reuve, Mccaughey. If 7 isn’t the best QB for that team, tell me who is and give specifics. 2 was a much better Safety for this team then a QB, yes when the competition was not as good he had
Great stats, but when competition was better making wrong reads and the same mistakes over and over again were a big problem. Example, Elder was not that much better than that team last year. I don’t know any coach worth their weight that wouldn’t say physical mistakes happen, we will deal with. Mental mistakes are a problem. 3 is a great athlete, and may turn into the best QB, but I watched the game Friday night. Moeller figured out how to stop the wildcat, and you can say all you want about 7’s passed but the 2 I saw 3 throw showed great arm strength but they missed their target by 10 yards. Not at all saying he may not develope, but right now he can’t throw catchable passes at the varsity level, which is much different then throwing them at the freshmen level like last year. If you have followed the Bombers for the last 30 yrs. Specht has always said I doesn’t want the best 11 players out there I want the best team on the field

Come on, in the last 30 yrs, if there was a stud QB they were used. The goal was to win a game 10-7. Score just enough and play great defense. In the last 5-10 yrs there has been a little more focus because there was a run of studs. Clifford, Wolf, Reuve, Mccaughey. If 7 isn’t the best QB for that team, tell me who is and give specifics. 2 was a much better Safety for this team then a QB, yes when the competition was not as good he had
Great stats, but when competition was better making wrong reads and the same mistakes over and over again were a big problem. Example, Elder was not that much better than that team last year. I don’t know any coach worth their weight that wouldn’t say physical mistakes happen, we will deal with. Mental mistakes are a problem. 3 is a great athlete, and may turn into the best QB, but I watched the game Friday night. Moeller figured out how to stop the wildcat, and you can say all you want about 7’s passed but the 2 I saw 3 throw showed great arm strength but they missed their target by 10 yards. Not at all saying he may not develope, but right now he can’t throw catchable passes at the varsity level, which is much different then throwing them at the freshmen level like last year. If you have followed the Bombers for the last 30 yrs. Specht has always said I doesn’t want the best 11 players out there I want the best team on the field
I think part of it is that St X is typically a program that doesn't have alot of noise around it because of Specht. Best kids play, period. He puts the kids in the best spot to help the team. Regardless of what's right and wrong, that was put into question this year for fans of St X.

Do I think part of it has something to do with relationships with influential people - yes, I do. Knowing the access and clout Herbstreit (dad) has in the football world, I'd find it very hard to believe that he and Specht don't have a relationship. That type of relationship can bias opinions, it happens to everyone, it's just human nature. That may be controversial, but it happens.

In saying that, after this season, the QB competition should be wide open for anyone capable of making the team better, and that should include QB7.

I think part of it is that St X is typically a program that doesn't have alot of noise around it because of Specht. Best kids play, period. He puts the kids in the best spot to help the team. Regardless of what's right and wrong, that was put into question this year for fans of St X.

Do I think part of it has something to do with relationships with influential people - yes, I do. Knowing the access and clout Herbstreit (dad) has in the football world, I'd find it very hard to believe that he and Specht don't have a relationship. That type of relationship can bias opinions, it happens to everyone, it's just human nature. That may be controversial, but it happens.

In saying that, after this season, the QB competition should be wide open for anyone capable of making the team better, and that should include QB7.
So what your telling me is that 30 yrs of coaching Specht has build a reputation and program based on the understanding that as a member of this team you are part of something bigger then yourself and the best kid for the team plays. But now in the last 5-10 yrs of his career he is throwing all of that out the window for this one situation. If you don’t win, he’ll even if you do win people will always have something to complain about. I would have to say that 30 yrs of history would have to trump this one situations. But that is for everybody to decide for themselves.

So what your telling me is that 30 yrs of coaching Specht has build a reputation and program based on the understanding that as a member of this team you are part of something bigger then yourself and the best kid for the team plays. But now in the last 5-10 yrs of his career he is throwing all of that out the window for this one situation. If you don’t win, he’ll even if you do win people will always have something to complain about. I would have to say that 30 yrs of history would have to trump this one situations. But that is for everybody to decide for themselves.
Not calling out his legacy at all. We're kind of saying the same thing.

The year was so un-St Xesque and so un-Spectesque it makes you wonder if this year was an outlier with some of this outside noise. It never seems to impact X, but this year, how can you say it didn't?

Great stats, but when competition was better making wrong reads and the same mistakes over and over again were a big problem. Example, Elder was not that much better than that team last year. I don’t know any coach worth their weight that wouldn’t say physical mistakes happen, we will deal with. Mental mistakes are a problem. 3 is a great athlete, and may turn into the best QB, but I watched the game Friday night. Moeller figured out how to stop the wildcat, and you can say all you want about 7’s passed but the 2 I saw 3 throw showed great arm strength but they missed their target by 10 yards. Not at all saying he may not develope, but right now he can’t throw catchable passes at the varsity level, which is much different then throwing them at the freshmen level like last year. IIf you have followed the Bombers for the last 30 yrs. Specht has always said I doesn’t want the best 11 players out there I want the best team on the field
#2 was a better QB than #7 Here are some specifics for you. In only five games at QB, #2 had a 9/3 TD/INT ratio and 1,174 yards. Over 10 games, that would be 18/6 for 2,350 yards. That's a pretty solid season for a high school QB, especially one playing a competitive non-conference schedule and in the GCL South. #7 now been at QB for 19 games. After 19 games, we've seen enough mistakes (mental and physical). Here are some more specifics for you. #7 took a knee in the end zone, has a 13/8 TD/INT ratio in those 19 games, and hasn't sniffed 1st or 2nd Team in two years as the QB at St X for a reason.

#3s two passes were a quick out to a DL (yes, a DL playing offense) that got immediately drilled by a Moe LB, so wasn't open. Other pass was to a streaking WR in double coverage into a waiting safety, so wasn't open. Passing out of the comic book packages are simply one route throws that are never open and are predictable.

Better question, why is #3 only allowed to only pass or run out of the comic book packages? Other than a few predictable jet sweeps, #3 isn't even allowed to play QB/run wildcat out of any other formation in playbook. Football has turned into getting your best athletes the ball in space, which I think #3 qualifies and St X hasn't figured out. Moe was smart enough to have 5 DL and 9 guys in the box because it's predictable. Either #3 runs or has to throw one route passes to guys not open. Not exactly rocket science or a mystery.

So, what happens? X throws the ball long downfield from the Moeller 22-yard line to (surprise, surprise) no avail; OK, went for broke, didn't work, now it's still 3rd and 1 or maybe 2-- so, line up under center, and use the QB sneak (as X had ALREADY done in that drive, near midfield, on 4th and 1), and make sure you get the first down at the 20-yard line (which is already within X's kicker's FG range)-- but NO, Coverdale lines up the QB in the shotgun, with the RB next to him, hands it off 7-8 yards deep-- and Moeller tackles the RB for probably a ~7-yard loss (back to almost the Moeller 30-yard line); now it's 4th and long at the Moeller 30-yard line-- this would now be a ~47-yard FG, which is about the limit of X's kicker's range (and with a slight cross-wind, it would really challenge his limited accuracy)-- so, instead, X goes for it (throws it) on 4th and long, with predictable results...
We don't agree on much, but that we didn't line up under center and either hand-off or sneak there once, and twice if needed, made ZERO freakin' sense. Also, the fact the #3 NEVER lines up under center is bewildering as well....

Better question, why is #3 only allowed to only pass or run out of the comic book packages? Other than a few predictable jet sweeps, #3 isn't even allowed to play QB/run wildcat out of any other formation in playbook. Football has turned into getting your best athletes the ball in space, which I think #3 qualifies and St X hasn't figured out. Moe was smart enough to have 5 DL and 9 guys in the box because it's predictable. Either #3 runs or has to throw one route passes to guys not open. Not exactly rocket science or a mystery.
It is hard to evaluate how #3 would play as a QB when you never line him up under center. Have him drop back or roll-out the pocket and see what he can do - would love to see how he would do running on a broken pass play rather than a clearly designed run play...

Was the Moeller "incomplete" pass near the end of the first half a fumble or not ....

That's why I don't speculate why #7 continues to play at QB and look at stats, production, and W/Ls. Those can be analyzed and are undeniable facts.

Specht definitely has earned the benefit of the doubt and has built a program at St X that speaks for itself. This QB situation has been such an issue for many because St X has such a high standard under Specth. St X is now 19 games in and almost two full seasons with #7 at QB (not a small sample size). As a long-time observer who has been spoiled watching some solid high school football, the issues at QB have limited the St X offense and the play calling is predictable based on the QB situation.

Last edited:
It is hard to evaluate how #3 would play as a QB when you never line him up under center. Have him drop back or roll-out the pocket and see what he can do - would love to see how he would do running on a broken pass play rather than a clearly designed run play...

Was the Moeller "incomplete" pass near the end of the first half a fumble or not
It looked like an incomplete pass on the Spectrum telecast. Never had possession.

The lack of creativity or opportunity for #3 at QB is hard to understand. As I mentioned, football has turned into a game of getting your best athletes the ball in space. I'm not a football guru, but bootlegs, rollouts, and his scrambling ability would be an additional aspect defenses would have to prepare for. Read option runs, RPOs, plus I'm sure he can throw WR/RB screens too, which the OC loves to call over and over and over again with #7 at QB.

What I find discouraging over 12 games, #3 wasn't given one series to run the regular offense. That is a total lack of opportunity and shoes a lack of competition at QB because there were games like MLK, Trinity FL, and Springboro (to name a few) that #3 could've taken some snaps.

I stand corrected on the 3rd and 2 play-- I thought it was a shotgun formation handoff to a RB lined up right next to the QB-- you indicate that it was (instead) a shotgun handoff to a RB/WR coming across on a Jet Sweep (STILL handed off 7-8 yards deep)-- again, not a short-yardage play designed with a high probability of either getting the first down or making it 4th and Very Short... it was, instead, another high stakes Boom or Bust type play-- not what I would call "playing the odds" (that WERE in X's favor at that point), to ensure some success (or very minimal loss)-- and thus ensure putting points on the board.
The Jet Sweep was an absolute awful call and it cost St X possible points. The awful throw on 4th down to a wide open WR was icing on the cake for that 1st series. St X had red zone issues all year and started Week #1 vs LW. Why? OC play calling and again the limited playbook with #7 at QB because St X was predictable.

First, Specht hasn't been a head coach for 30 years.

Second, I think that it's entirely reasonable to speculate that other factors might be at play. The results speak for themselves. It's clearly a tough dynamic to navigate.

Recall that Specht is more than head coach for the football team.

The Bombers had pretty damn good offenses from 1997 to 2007 and from 2015 to 2020. I don't know that your post is accurate or frankly what you're trying to communicate.

#2 was a better QB than #7 Here are some specifics for you. In only five games at QB, #2 had a 9/3 TD/INT ratio and 1,174 yards. Over 10 games, that would be 18/6 for 2,350 yards. That's a pretty solid season for a high school QB, especially one playing a competitive non-conference schedule and in the GCL South. #7 now been at QB for 19 games. After 19 games, we've seen enough mistakes (mental and physical). Here are some more specifics for you. #7 took a knee in the end zone, has a 13/8 TD/INT ratio in those 19 games, and hasn't sniffed 1st or 2nd Team in two years as the QB at St X for a reason.

#3s two passes were a quick out to a DL (yes, a DL playing offense) that got immediately drilled by a Moe LB, so wasn't open. Other pass was to a streaking WR in double coverage into a waiting safety, so wasn't open. Passing out of the comic book packages are simply one route throws that are never open and are predictable.

At this point, it's time to lay this debate to rest. In my view, #3 should consider bulking up and transitioning to linebacker. If he really wants to be a passing quarterback, it might be in his best interest to explore opportunities at a different school in a different division. Currently, neither #7 nor #3 are on par with the caliber of quarterbacks that X is accustomed to having. Moreover, both quarterbacks face similar challenges, but #7's issues seem to be less pronounced compared to #3. Hopefully one of them can improve their throwing mechanics in the off-season, so X can effectively throw the ball next year.

Throughout the season, #7 proved to be the best quarterback the team had, and that's why he saw playing time. #3 was given far too many opportunities for this to still be an ongoing argument. Keep in mind, these coaches are also watching in practice. For X to fully unleash their offense, as we witnessed in 2020 and 2021, the quarterback has be able to put touch on the ball and execute timing passes into narrow windows. #3's mechanics makes it almost impossible for him to throw on the run, complete any pass in tight coverage, and complete 20+ yard passes. We saw exactly that when he threw the ball Friday night. This isn't to suggest that #7 didn't have his own challenges, including many of the same, but it feels like every week we see a post in these threads from this account presenting the same argument without ever considering why #3 may not be playing.

It is the off-season. Its not the coaches fault and its not the offensive coordinators fault. #3's chances of playing at the next level are significantly higher at linebacker, as his speed and agility align well with the position.

At this point, it's time to lay this debate to rest. In my view, #3 should consider bulking up and transitioning to linebacker. If he really wants to be a passing quarterback, it might be in his best interest to explore opportunities at a different school in a different division. Currently, neither #7 nor #3 are on par with the caliber of quarterbacks that X is accustomed to having. Moreover, both quarterbacks face similar challenges, but #7's issues seem to be less pronounced compared to #3. Hopefully one of them can improve their throwing mechanics in the off-season, so X can effectively throw the ball next year.

Throughout the season, #7 proved to be the best quarterback the team had, and that's why he saw playing time. #3 was given far too many opportunities for this to still be an ongoing argument. Keep in mind, these coaches are also watching in practice. For X to fully unleash their offense, as we witnessed in 2020 and 2021, the quarterback has be able to put touch on the ball and execute timing passes into narrow windows. #3's mechanics makes it almost impossible for him to throw on the run, complete any pass in tight coverage, and complete 20+ yard passes. We saw exactly that when he threw the ball Friday night. This isn't to suggest that #7 didn't have his own challenges, including many of the same, but it feels like every week we see a post in these threads from this account presenting the same argument without ever considering why #3 may not be playing.

It is the off-season. Its not the coaches fault and its not the offensive coordinators fault. #3's chances of playing at the next level are significantly higher at linebacker, as his speed and agility align well with the position.
Your opinion on #3 is based on him passing out of the comic book running formations. Neither the DL or the WR were open Friday, so please tell us you have more to base your opinion on. Those haven't been open all season because they are predictable.

#3 was given too many opportunities? He wasn't given one series at QB running the regular offense in 12 games. #7 was only QB, I'm not sure you can use the word "best". Coaches should be watching practices and games on Hudl these days. I'm not sure there was ever an open QB competition based on opportunities or lack of opportunities during pre-season scrimmages.

As far as mechanics or similar challenges (your words), there is no comparing #3 and #7. #7 simply pushes the ball, has no arm strength (lob/air under ball), and never passes on the run, plus isn't a threat in the running game. Few games I've seen #3 play last season live or on stream, throwing on the run, extending plays, and stretching the field by the pass was a strength, plus he obviously is a threat in the running game (2nd Team GCL). If anything, put him at RB because he's shown ability to be a productive rusher. Also, #7 wasn't even the starting or best QB on the freshman team and then is given the varsity job five games into his sophomore season. Now that is an opportunity compared to passing out of the comic book running formation that is predictable.

Friday vs Moe, I had opportunity to watch warm-ups and the game with two life-long friends. One was a long time hs coach and other at the college level. Just based on warm-ups, both thought #3 was the starter based solely on mechanics, arm strength, and eye test. During the game, both seemed complexed by #7s inability at QB and how he released the pigskin. Inaccurate throws, not locating wide open WRs, lack of arm strength that resulted in an INT, poor passing mechanics (poor footwork and body/hip placement to target), and the lack of offensive creativity.

On a positive note, they got to take in their first St X game, plus UC on Saturday, and are down at the Bengals game this evening. Pretty solid guys weekend of Cincinnati football.

This might not be a popular opinion for some folks but I don't think #7 is as bad as most people think. I think it is more of a combination of average WRs and average QB. There were a lot of passes dropped this season and even in this playoff game there were some drops. I said it early on and I will say again, this WR group really didn't have any speedsters and as I watched them all season they struggled to create separation from the defenders. You can't just pile on #7 for the lack of offense. I think back at the most recent State Championship team and that team had Elite WRs across the field. I hope #7 comes back, develops, and StX is able to find some elite WRs to open up the offense.

This might not be a popular opinion for some folks but I don't think #7 is as bad as most people think. I think it is more of a combination of average WRs and average QB. There were a lot of passes dropped this season and even in this playoff game there were some drops. I said it early on and I will say again, this WR group really didn't have any speedsters and as I watched them all season they struggled to create separation from the defenders. You can't just pile on #7 for the lack of offense. I think back at the most recent State Championship team and that team had Elite WRs across the field. I hope #7 comes back, develops, and StX is able to find some elite WRs to open up the offense.
I'd agree with your assessment of the WR corps. Like the QB situation, the WR personnel (#80, #6, #12) was basically the same since scrimmage #1.

First, Specht hasn't been a head coach for 30 years.

Second, I think that it's entirely reasonable to speculate that other factors might be at play. The results speak for themselves. It's clearly a tough dynamic to navigate.

Recall that Specht is more than head coach for the football team.
Your opinion on #3 is based on him passing out of the comic book running formations. Neither the DL or the WR were open Friday, so please tell us you have more to base your opinion on. Those haven't been open all season because they are predictable.

#3 was given too many opportunities? He wasn't given one series at QB running the regular offense in 12 games. #7 was only QB, I'm not sure you can use the word "best". Coaches should be watching practices and games on Hudl these days. I'm not sure there was ever an open QB competition based on opportunities or lack of opportunities during pre-season scrimmages.

As far as mechanics or similar challenges (your words), there is no comparing #3 and #7. #7 simply pushes the ball, has no arm strength (lob/air under ball), and never passes on the run, plus isn't a threat in the running game. Few games I've seen #3 play last season live or on stream, throwing on the run, extending plays, and stretching the field by the pass was a strength, plus he obviously is a threat in the running game (2nd Team GCL). If anything, put him at RB because he's shown ability to be a productive rusher. Also, #7 wasn't even the starting or best QB on the freshman team and then is given the varsity job five games into his sophomore season. Now that is an opportunity compared to passing out of the comic book running formation that is predictable.

Friday vs Moe, I had opportunity to watch warm-ups and the game with two life-long friends. One was a long time hs coach and other at the college level. Just based on warm-ups, both thought #3 was the starter based solely on mechanics, arm strength, and eye test. During the game, both seemed complexed by #7s inability at QB and how he released the pigskin. Inaccurate throws, not locating wide open WRs, lack of arm strength that resulted in an INT, poor passing mechanics (poor footwork and body/hip placement to target), and the lack of offensive creativity.

On a positive note, they got to take in their first St X game, plus UC on Saturday, and are down at the Bengals game this evening. Pretty solid guys weekend of Cincinnati football.
No one and I mean no one, can watch #7 play and think he is the best QB in a school of 1400 students. I don't know if #3 is either, but watching on TV, #7 is far below average. X had no chance to score and it became painful to watch. I feel bad for the kid, the coaches at X should never put that kid into that situation. He is not ready and now gets all the heat and attacks; unfair, when this all lays at the feet of the coaching staff. Coaches should be embarrassed they played #7, the blame is on the adults, not kids who are doing the best they can. I know the X alumni are pissed off they wasted a very talented team and now 4 straight losses to Moeller. When is the last time X beat a team they were not suppose too? Lets leave #7 and #3 alone and make the adults take the responsiblity.

No one and I mean no one, can watch #7 play and think he is the best QB in a school of 1400 students. I don't know if #3 is either, but watching on TV, #7 is far below average. X had no chance to score and it became painful to watch. I feel bad for the kid, the coaches at X should never put that kid into that situation. He is not ready and now gets all the heat and attacks; unfair, when this all lays at the feet of the coaching staff. Coaches should be embarrassed they played #7, the blame is on the adults, not kids who are doing the best they can. I know the X alumni are pissed off they wasted a very talented team and now 4 straight losses to Moeller. When is the last time X beat a team they were not suppose too? Lets leave #7 and #3 alone and make the adults take the responsiblity.
Agree. It's hard to believe this is St. Xavier we're talking about. There is no sugar coating what we all just watched play out over 12 long weeks (not to mention last season). They sold their souls to please a football celebrity and in doing so sold out all the players and the Long Blue Line. What an absolute shame. And there's nothing to show that next year won't be the same. St. X football is being laughed at throughout the Cincinnati.

Go back to the first Moeller game and count the number of drops by the WRs. If the WRs catch those balls StX probably wins that game and #7's fortunes might look a little different. We are putting way too much blame on #7 because of his last name. I am not saying is all state material but he can't be the scapegoat for the lack of offense.

I am also not sure there is a better QB within the program right now. I don't buy into Specht just playing #7 because of his last name. Specht isn't built like that.