Week 11: Mechanicsburg (9-0) vs Coldwater (9-0)

just what every twelve or thirteen year old needs, to have his ripped in front of his family and a couple hundred other people for dropping a pass or missing a blocking assignment.
I'm sure I did not write that. If that's what you took from my post I am sorry that's how it was taken.

Hayes was often quoted as saying "only three things can happen when you pass (a completion, an incompletion, and an interception) and two of them are bad."
Hayes with fullback Dick Doyle and assistant coach Ernie Godfrey, 1952

I'm sure I did not write that. If that's what you took from my post I am sorry that's how it was taken.
I am sure that was not your purpose but you did write this about a JH coach.
"I have seen his emotion and seen it be very positive and sincerely caring and also rip an a** "

I am sure that was not your purpose but you did write this about a JH coach.
"I have seen his emotion and seen it be very positive and sincerely caring and also rip an a** "
Yes and you incorrectly assumed it was during a game in a belittling manner. That is not what I was referencing. Again I'm sorry for the way it was received. Not everyone will agree with the way a coach communicates and there are as many right/wrong ways as there are kids. What I had witnessed was the right time, place & level IMO, and sometimes thats being hard on a kid to get the best out of them - a balancing act.. Your opinion may be different and that is OK.

just what every twelve or thirteen year old needs, to have his ripped in front of his family and a couple hundred other people for dropping a pass or missing a blocking assignment.
Granted, this in high school, but l asked my son if he could handle the coach rippin' him a new a $$ in front of the crowd. He said yes. I said, then you'll do fine.
To add to that, l always remembered what a friend told me as my son was coming up. Don't take the yelling to bad. If they're yelling then apparently he's playing. It's when they don't say anything to you is when you may have to think about your position. ?

Last edited:
To add to that, l always remembered what a friend told me as my son was coming up. Don't take the yelling to bad. If they're yelling then apparently you're playing. It's when they don't say anything to you is when you may have to think about your position. ?
This. I still remember playing in the Reed era. That man was a strict disciplinarian. He would yell at you for anything. Whether it was standing around at practice, not flipping your tag over as you entered the locker room, or if you didn't take your stuff home to wash it every day. He wasnt being a mean cuss. He was teaching you how to be a man.

That being said. When I played junior high nobody really got ripped by the coaches. It was generally laid back and we all played alot which was hard for like 40 7th graders then maybe 35 when we were in 8th grade. Junior high football should be about fun and teaching. Bottom line.

Last edited:
Granted, this in high school, but l asked my son if he could handle the coach rippin' him a new a $$ in front of the crowd. He said yes. I said, then you'll do fine.
To add to that, l always remembered what a friend told me as my son was coming up. Don't take the yelling to bad. If they're yelling then apparently he's playing. It's when they don't say anything to you is when you may have to think about your position. ?
But I think there is a difference between a 12 year old and a 17 or 18 year old in that situation

so true!!!

Hayes was often quoted as saying "only three things can happen when you pass (a completion, an incompletion, and an interception) and two of them are bad."
Hayes with fullback  Doyle and assistant coach Ernie Godfrey, 1952
Three thing can also happen when you run (a positive gain, a negative gain, and a fumble) and two of them are bad. Did Woody always punt on first down?:unsure: