Week 1: Lasalle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think this game will be closer than everyone is predicting. Lasalle is the heavy favorite. Elder's depth should help neutralize Lasalle's talent. Payne will be trying to play both RB and LB without the benefit of a player like Porter sharing the load. Smith is also trying to play DB and WR on a hot, humid night. If I'm Elder, I'm running a WR at Smith on a streak every play just to get him tired so he cannot go in on offense. They should also send running plays at Payne with their biggest lineman leading the way to wear him down.
Elder doesn’t have a real speedster at a skill position other than Ramsey. Maybe you sneak him out of the backfield on a Wheel route, but nobody in the WR corps could beat Smith deep.

I think you’re right in that conditioning could be a huge factor. It’s always important early when it’s hot, but now even more so with the unstable offseason.

Last edited:
I think this maybe the biggest wr/te core in recent memory. Nieman, Kirch, Harp, Larkins, Ramsey.

I’d say that’s a good bet. They still don’t have a real deep threat outside of Ramsey. I thought the Soph Collins might play up to add a little more balance to the WR skill set, but I do not believe he was part of the Sophs practicing up on Varsity.

Sabato has wheels. He's not real big, but I would imagine they will have a roll for him this season.

That’s true, but I believe he’ll be in the Slot, and that’s not where vertical threats typically line up.

I expect you’ll see LS play straight Man Cvg all game and basically dare Elder to throw the ball into those tight windows.

La Salle at Elder

What to watch:
The Pit is going to look very different without a complete, purple-filled crowd, but the top Cincinnati-area football game in Week 1 is in Price Hill this Friday night. The last time these two conference rivals played in a game that mattered, it was in their respective state championships at Canton's Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium.

La Salle took home a Division II crown while Elder came up short in the D-I state final. These two programs have split their last 10 meetings, with seven of the games decided by six points or less. That includes last season, when the Lancers held on to defeat the Panthers for the GCL-South title, 27-25.

Junior Drew Ramsey replaces All-Ohio signal-caller Matthew Luebbe. Last season, Ramsey caught 61 passes for 633 yards and five scores and ran for 319 yards and four touchdowns. Ramsey will have a tough test in his first start, facing a La Salle secondary that features four Division I commits in Jaylen Johnson, Iesa Jarmon, Jaymar Hargrove-Mundy and Devonta Smith.

La Salle will have its state-champion quarterback returning this season in Zach Branam. As a junior last season, he threw for nearly 1,700 yards and ran for nearly 1,400. He'll have plenty of weapons at his disposal, starting with junior running back Gi'Bran Payne, who has been offered by the likes of Alabama, Michigan, UC, Purdue, Wisconsin and a bunch more.

Picks: La Salle (Springer, Dermer, Harrison, Newton, Weber).

La Salle at Elder

What to watch:
The Pit is going to look very different without a complete, purple-filled crowd, but the top Cincinnati-area football game in Week 1 is in Price Hill this Friday night. The last time these two conference rivals played in a game that mattered, it was in their respective state championships at Canton's Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium.

La Salle took home a Division II crown while Elder came up short in the D-I state final. These two programs have split their last 10 meetings, with seven of the games decided by six points or less. That includes last season, when the Lancers held on to defeat the Panthers for the GCL-South title, 27-25.

Junior Drew Ramsey replaces All-Ohio signal-caller Matthew Luebbe. Last season, Ramsey caught 61 passes for 633 yards and five scores and ran for 319 yards and four touchdowns. Ramsey will have a tough test in his first start, facing a La Salle secondary that features four Division I commits in Jaylen Johnson, Iesa Jarmon, Jaymar Hargrove-Mundy and Devonta Smith.

La Salle will have its state-champion quarterback returning this season in Zach Branam. As a junior last season, he threw for nearly 1,700 yards and ran for nearly 1,400. He'll have plenty of weapons at his disposal, starting with junior running back Gi'Bran Payne, who has been offered by the likes of Alabama, Michigan, UC, Purdue, Wisconsin and a bunch more.

Picks: La Salle (Springer, Dermer, Harrison, Newton, Weber).

They still can’t get the QB situation correct. Seriously, just do even the smallest bit of research and you’ll find out Ramsey isn’t the QB1. He will line up at QB, but he’s not the starter.

Scott Springer cincinnati.com article on Lasalle and their highly touted secondary.

MONFORT HEIGHTS - It could be said that the 2020 La Salle High School football team is an embarrassment of riches returning a roster full of players that held the Ohio Division II state championship trophy high in Canton last December.

However, neither La Salle's supporters nor their players are the slightest bit embarrassed and the only thing the Lancers are truly rich in is talent, much of it earned through hard work, dedication and perspiration. The team that throttled former La Salle coach Nate Moore's Massillon Washington squad 34-17 is back with the same edge and a new mission: protect and repeat.

"We're still doing the same things we did last year, playing guys both ways," La Salle head coach Pat McLaughlin said. "Even though it's a shortened season, it's a longer playoff. We have a lot of guys that have played a lot of games. We've also got a lot of guys that are very smart and they understand we have to do what we did last year in order to have success."

That equation involves putting the time and work in that leads to championships. Championships lead to phone calls and visits from college coaches. It also leads to McLaughlin's phone perpetually buzzing with a text, voice mail or call.

Helping the Lancers coaching staff, particularly on defense, is the return of four secondary players who have already committed to Division I institutions. You may call them Four Horsemen, the Quad Squad or Green Township's No-Fly Zone, but most teams have called them a problem.

Ohio State commit Jaylen Johnson is large enough to play linebacker at 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds but will likely be a Buckeye safety once he's finished swarming to the ball for the Lancers. The three-star (according to 247sports.com) is bullish on adding a trophy to the La Salle case.

"Best team in Ohio," Johnson said. "We just have to show it again this year. Same attitude, same demeanor."

Johnson has kept in contact with Ohio State players and coaches over the Big Ten's decision not to play this fall over new coronavirus concerns. He's hearing the talk of spring ball and may angle to graduate early if he can to get involved with Coach Ryan Day's program early.

For now, he looks forward to Friday's opener at Elder. The Panthers were also in Canton last year, finishing as Division I runners-up.

"Let's have a party at The Pit!" Johnson said.

Confidence oozes from all four Lancers lurking in the defensive secondary. Johnson believes it's the best in the nation with their speed, size and resumes.

"The best option is to run and get hit," he said.

Cincinnati Bearcat commit Iesa Jarmon has the same thought process for those hoping to run multiple successful pass routes on La Salle. When asked who may complete passes on them, the answer is identical.

"Nobody, nobody, nobody," Jarmon said. "We can't let anybody. No, no, no. Our team is super-solid. We're returning a lot of our key players from last year We're going to repeat again and win another state championship."

As cocky as Johnson and Jarmon may sound, all agree that Miami RedHawks commit Jaymor Mundy is the secondary swagger-king. "Dripped out" is how his teammates describe him. Mundy tied for the Greater Catholic League-South lead in interceptions last year with six and also casts doubt on opposing pass completions.

"I don't think no one honestly," Mundy said on who may test them. "Coming up to this season, with all of this going on, I don't think no one's going to be able to complete a pass."

Mundy feels he toughened his game up last season and is looking forward to getting to Oxford to begin training for his college career as soon as he's done at La Salle. As for this fall, he's also predicting "back-to-back" championships.

Devonta Smith is a unique Lancer who is part of the secondary, but also a receiving threat. He's also unique in that he's a rare flip from Ohio State to the SEC and Alabama. Smith said the Crimson Tide will probably use him at safety.

He had 38 tackles and three interceptons last season in addition to 11 catches for 271 yards with five of those being touchdowns on offense. Defensively, Smith figures to be waving his arms in the incomplete-mode on a frequent basis.

"I think everyone could (complete a pass) but I feel like with the guys we've got back there, no one," Smith said. "Like no one. I don't think so. We're loaded!"

Loaded is an understatement when you factor in junior running back/linebacker Gi'Bran Payne who has been offered by a "who's who" of schools including Alabama, Florida, Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, Iowa and UC. Payne ran for 790 yards and nine scores, caught eight passes for 141 yards and three touchdowns, had 41 tackles, four sacks, three forced fumbles and a pair of picks as a sophomore. 247sports.com lists him as a four-star recruit.

"We're just taking it one day at a time practicing hard every day," Payne said. "We're going to go back and do it again."

Factor in a senior starting quarterback Zach Branam who ran for 1,676 yards and 21 touchdowns and passed for 1,394 and 14 more.

These Lancers roll deep.

Last edited:
I would like to see them establish the running game with Johnson and Ramsey early, that would help keep those DBs honest in coverage.

They still can’t get the QB situation correct. Seriously, just do even the smallest bit of research and you’ll find out Ramsey isn’t the QB1. He will line up at QB, but he’s not the starter.
How do you know?

There’s a Quote from the “U” 30 for 30, “if you don’t want us dancing, keep us out of the end zone.” Same thing here, you don’t like them talking, make them shut up.
They sure don't lack any confidence. Not the Elder way, but I hope every completion they make the Elder WRs let them know about it. "That's one." "Hey another one."

They sure don't lack any confidence. Not the Elder way, but I hope every completion they make the Elder WRs let them know about it. "That's one." "Hey another one."
They’re not going to complete a lot of passes. But one thing they can do is hit them on every play. Maybe you still get blown out, but make sure they wake up sore on Saturday. Whatever happens, you don’t back down, you don’t fold, you go out and you make them miserable every play until the game ends.

Question for those in the know? I know Jarman went to Lourdes for a couple of yrs. He was a good player back then. Where did the others go kids they are referencing? I asked a buddy of mine from Lasalle and he said he had no idea. Are they from the Colerain area?

Looks like the bad weather might just barely miss this game. However, the good news is this could just as easily be pushed back to Saturday if it does get bad.

Looks like the bad weather might just barely miss this game. However, the good news is this could just as easily be pushed back to Saturday if it does get bad.

Nothing would surprise me with the weather tonight. I think they get it in with probably a lightning delay at some point, but it also wouldn't surprise me to see it start but then have to finish tomorrow.

I'm sticking with my Elder winning 24-21 prediction.

Nothing would surprise me with the weather tonight. I think they get it in with probably a lightning delay at some point, but it also wouldn't surprise me to see it start but then have to finish tomorrow.

I'm sticking with my Elder winning 24-21 prediction.

I don’t see Elder being able to score more than 1 TD vs the LS 1st team D. I also don’t know how they stop Payne & Smith. I’m guessing Bartley Thomas will cover Smith when he’s at WR, but tackling is always an issue early, even more so this yr. Stemler is going to have to have the best game of his career, bc the rest of the LB core is relatively new.

Nick Paff started at LB last year and Mitchell played some before he had to sit out the second half of the year......It will all depend on how well the Dline can keep blockers of the LBs

Nick Paff started at LB last year and Mitchell played some before he had to sit out the second half of the year......It will all depend on how well the Dline can keep blockers of the LBs
I thought he was moved to Rover/SS. I think Mitchell is going to line up more often at DE. Regardless, tackling is almost always sloppy in the early season games (for all teams, not just Elder), and when you compound it with the limited contact in the off-season, it has to be an elevated concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.