We needed expanded playoffs for Covid with cancellations. Reduce it now.

I may be old school but at least I know when a system becomes a joke. Letting 1-9 teams so called qualify for the playoffs. It the bowling league where every kid gets a ribbon trophy. My team made playoffs when it actually meant something and was a cool experience. Now stow players will dread the experience. But hey, you probably like transgender dudes beating girls in sports and all the cool news ideas.
So basically what you're saying, is that the championships for all other sports are not as good because there is not an mathematical formula used to determine who gets to make it. The point of playoffs/tournament is not to celebrate who makes it, it is to determine a champion and last time I checked, the same amount of trophies are being awarded.

I may be old school but at least I know when a system becomes a joke. Letting 1-9 teams so called qualify for the playoffs. It the bowling league where every kid gets a ribbon trophy. My team made playoffs when it actually meant something and was a cool experience. Now stow players will dread the experience. But hey, you probably like transgender dudes beating girls in sports and all the cool news ideas.
Stow's best player has a brother on St. Ed's team. I bet they are looking forward to playing.

Yeah playoffs used to be a clear yardstick to measure your program with. It meant something. That's gone for now.

Who hurt you?

Other sports regular seasons don't mean as much because no value but conference championship and seeding. When you put no significance on regular season , its meaningless.

Its like playing a bunch of scrimmages before in a sense. Noone cares about winner of those games, so why care when its only for seeding. The regular season is a joke. And now football regular season is meaningless too.

This is hilarious. The same people complaining about "everyone getting a trophy" are the same people acting like making the playoffs was trophy worthy when it was 8 teams. I hate to break it to you but the measure is still making a regional semi final at the very least. Actually WINNING a playoff game. Not just making it. Now it doesn't matter until you win 2 playoffs games. Before 2020, making the playoffs meant you played a schedule that allowed your team to get enough points in a somewhat flawed system to give you a top 8 seed. If you pat yourself on the back for that, then you're the real ones asking for everyone getting a trophy. Top 8 in computer points in the region! WOOOO! We did it! Great season.

All you playoff purists out there were putting playoffs on a pedestal and are acting like the sanctity of it is gone. Anyone worth anything in ohio high school football knows that making the playoffs should be expected if you think you're a good program. Winning round 1 (now round 2) is where you can truly consider the season a success. Maybe I'm biased, but you guys are contradicting yourselves big time with all these complaints. Inversely, anyone flexing a playoff berth and losing in the round of 16 is clearly a joke and everyone else can see it. Doesn't matter how many teams make it. Win your games and earn your respect by making a regional semi.

But hey, you probably like transgender dudes.

How dare they give these chances I didn't have when I was in school?
Chance to what? Get destroyed one last time?

Neither side benefits from these games.

Let the competitive teams battle it out and the uncompetitive start prep for winter sports.

how is not wanting 1-9 teams in playoffs a playoff purist. I would be fine with 12 even . Just not have 17 teams in a region and take 16. thats stupid. Might as well allow everyone to make it then.

I agree 100% that the regular season still matters just as much. 5-6 weeks of playoffs is a tough stretch. Earning top seeding is VERY important.
No it doesn't. Decent teams have clinched the playoffs by about week 5 now. There's no drama at the end of the season.

Let the competitive teams battle it out and the uncompetitive start prep for winter sports.
Many top 8 seeds lost to bottom 8 seeds last year. How do we know which ones will be competitive?

There are going to be plenty of "upsets", especially in the 8-9 games. I bet even some 11+ seeds make round two. Because the point system has flaws. You can schedule yourself into the playoffs. If thats honestly what you guys all want, then you're softer than the participation award people.

I got an idea. All seven divisions into one and crown one state champion top 32 teams get in..... That way all these cats saying everyone gets a trophy can be settled! That would please all the old-schoolers out there that complain no matter what the system is and it would allow for the very best teams to get in no matter division! What a perfect idea.

🤣🤣🤣

Doesn't every other sport besides football have an everyone gets in mindset? I am sure that every basketball team makes the tournament. Fairborn went 1 - 17 and played Centerville!!! The same thing for wrestling as well. Everyone makes it into the tournament. I don't think it is an everyone gets a trophy mentality because once you lose they do not hand you a trophy. I have more of the mindset that man these kids just spent 8 months training for a sport that they play ten games in. Football is a sport that you prepare for longer than you actually get to go play. I think in today's age athletes we are lucky that we still have kids coming over for the sport. For every other sport, you literally practice for less than a month and then start competition. Oh and you play at least two games a week in some of those sports and might practice three days a week. Whereas football you have camp, and 10 days, and two a days, and then the monotony of M - Th practice and they come in on Saturday and lift and run and watch film.

I do agree that it does make money for the state, but if a kid gets one more game in their career that totals 4 more games per career I do not see anything wrong with it. Will that game be against a hammer? Maybe, but go out and give it your all. I am sure those coaches that play teams like they know once they get up they sub their starters out and put in other kids.
The difference being, in every other sport you don't get dead if you are severely over matched. Soccer? Big deal. Some dude kicks a few more balls into your net than you would usually allow. Baseball? Same. Basketball? Same.

Football? You have teams in D7 with less than 20 players going against the Marion Locals and Kirtlands of the world.

The difference being, in every other sport you don't get dead if you are severely over matched.
Please list the amount of recent deaths occuring in Ohio High School football games. You are acting like they are about to line up against the Buffalo Bills.

The difference being, in every other sport you don't get dead if you are severely over matched. Soccer? Big deal. Some dude kicks a few more balls into your net than you would usually allow. Baseball? Same. Basketball? Same.

Football? You have teams in D7 with less than 20 players going against the Marion Locals and Kirtlands of the world.
So what about when those same teams play each other in the regular season? Then it’s ok? But in the playoffs, death match?

16, bottom line, is too many teams.

You could easily separate the wheat from the chaff if you adopted a 12 game format in all divisions. That places a premium on the top four spots in each region, as the top 4 would earn a bye in week 11.

It has a double benefit as weeding out the "pretenders" before getting to an 8 team regional tournament.

So what about when those same teams play each other in the regular season? Then it’s ok? But in the playoffs, death match?
If your school struggles to have around 20 players and your AD schedules teams of the ilk I described in the regular season, you need to get a new AD

I can see the OHSAA going all in. 6 divisions would make sense but I see them keeping 7 if they do it. D1 having 64 teams and D2-D7 having 107. This means 7 rounds of playoffs with 21 teams having byes in first round for D2-D7. D1 would have 6 rounds and probably 10 regular season games while D2-D7 would have 9 regular season games. Not great but if they want more $ over anything else, it might happen. Obviously they'll keep it seeded (better than Indiana not being seeded).

The only thing that has really changed is that the “accomplishment” for mediocre programs is not “making the playoffs” but now actually winning a playoff game.