Water Polo 2010

Team records and individual stats are a good sign, but not fully indictative to determine the best players or teams. There are several factors which play into determining the better teams including: (1) Teams Played Against: St F. lost several games to teams from Michigan, as did UA, since they each travelled to Michigan 3 plus times. Additionally, if you have a chance to play a weaker team several times it can have the affect of boosting your record and a individuals stats. Again, the record is not a fair reflection on the teams ability; (2) Injuries/Player availability: St. F (and other teams) had injuries/illnesses throughout the year - which results in losses and lack of stats; and (3) Coaches playing decisons: I know a couple games where some of the better teams played JV against varsity teams and lost.

Bottom line, St C played well all season and had a great team. After that SF and UA (the only teams to beat SC) were the next 2 and then TW and Milford - which exchanged losses with each other throughout the season with Milford winning the most. So, in essence, the order at States is fairly accurate.

Fantastic Season

Overall, this years water polo has been fantastic, and fun to watch too.

The stats show the general idea, but as Booyah! said, they do not clearly predict anything. In this case however, it seems the stats proved correct with Saint Charles winning the state title. Quite an accomplishment in just four years.

I must mention that although a number of things may have happened had Rabe not been kicked out of the game against Saint Charles last Friday, he was. That is the game, and we cannot predict what has already happened otherwise.

My kudos go out to both Saint Francis and Saint Charles for an excellent game for first place. The game was exciting, well played and very fair. In addition, it appeared that Saint Francis was able to embrace their opponent's victory well. It is always nice to see great sportsmanship.

Once again - congratulations to all the players. It will be very interesting to see what happens next year.

Looks like the Rabe boys are at the top of the state for goals scored. Makes you wonder what might have been if Adam Rabe didn't foul out of the SC game.

Dear Mr. Jones, don't be so quick to pat your UA boys on the back, this is not a comprehensive list, only the results as posted in the 4 news articles. Wonder what might have happened in the 3-4 TW overtime loss to SC with two starters fouled out for the whole second half . . . oh wait, it doesn't matter, SC won that game, the regional final and the State Championship.

I do like to tease you rjones, your unwavering UA support is good fodder. I will say that the UA v SC game in the regular season was one of the most exciting games I have ever personally watched.

I will say that the UA v SC game in the regular season was one of the most exciting games I have ever personally watched.

Interestingly Rabe didn't foul out of that game and as expected UA won. Doesn't that give you pause to wonder what might have been?

They've been decided on. I don't have the list though. Not much help, I know. I remember a few names on each team, but will ask to get the list.

2010 All-Ohio

2010 ALL OHIO 1ST TEAM

NAME GRADE TEAM POSITION

Nick Carmony 12 St. Francis Field
Jose Cerda 12 Sycamore Field
Brennan Cline 12 Thomas Field
Connor Litmer 12 Milford Field
David Matulis 11 Milford Field
Adam Rabe 12 Upper Arlington Field
Sam Reeder 12 Thomas Field
Orion Swanson 12 St. Charles Field
Brian Willi 12 St. Charles Field
Matt Zimmerman 11 St. Francis Field
Rowan Williams 12 St. Francis Goalie

2010 ALL OHIO 2ND TEAM

NAME GRADE TEAM POSITION

Keeler Callahan 11 Kilbourne Filed
Daniel Cogan 11 St. Charles Field
Charlie Coons 12 Upper Arlington Field
Dan DiSalle 11 St. Francis Field
Max Herath 12 St. Charles Field
Brad Lebling 11 Mason Field
Ian Maloney 12 GlenOak Field
Ben McClurg 12 Sylvania Field
Brian Muff 12 Mason Field
Salim Choueiki 12 Thomas Goalie

2010 ALL OHIO HONORABLE MENTION

NAME GRADE TEAM POSITION

Alex Alfonso 12 New Albany Field
Dylan Dikes 10 Princeton Field
DJ MacDonald 11 St. Francis Field
Seth McCord 12 Napoleon Field
Andrew Rabe 11 Upper Arlington Field
Adam Wolf 11 Thomas Field
Jake Wood 12 Kilbourne Field
Nick Brown 11 Milford Goalie
John Flis 12 St. Charles Goalie
Alan Kissinger 12 Sycamore Goalie
Travis Korzan 12 GlenOak Goalie
Tiko Nelson 12 Mason Goalie
Trent Victor 12 Sylvania Goalie

2010 Player Of The Year - Orion Swanson.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
List

It's great to see Jose Cerda on the list. It may not be great comfort to his family and friends, but it really puts things in perspective. Congratulations to the coaches for their insight.

It was the year of the defense mostly due to the phenomenal goalie play in the state. So why not honor them when any other year they'd have been listed much higher. Especially when you have a guy going to play for the 7th ranked team in the nation getting 2nd team. I cant argue much on the list except for Max Herath only on 2nd team he was my state MVP and a class act. But congratulations to all who were honored and the whole state in general for a great year of polo

Each coach selects one of their kids for the Honorable Mention list. It's clear that each of those goalies deserves some kind of recognition for their play this year. We were blessed with great goalie play all year long from many kids. Much deserved credit.

Constructive criticism

Overall, I think the list is a good one. I'll try to make some criticism, w/o criticizing individuals:

Thought UA was under-represented. One first teamer, one second for a team that was third in state. BTW, did UA ever play SF during the year?

Thought Herath should have been first team for play at both ends.

Sorry in advance to Glenoak, but if they had an all-state player, they hid him well.

SC, Milford, and Thomas have the same number of first teamers, SC beat the two teams eight out of eight times, albeit a few games were close.

Personally, I didn't think the goalie play up and down was that outstanding, but knowing the coaches formula it makes more sense.

Thought Swanson was deserving as player of the year. I didn't see a more intense player all year. However, if Rabe did not have a lot of support as the list implies, his contribution was also deserving.

I would be really interested in hearing who the boys feel at the best players, having been in the water with each other all season.

It would be interesting in the future to have a get together for all of the All-Ohio Players and a "Senior Showcase." Might be a good time to allow the guys to play with each other instead of against and might encourage the start of a central Ohio club team. Imagine the team that you could have with the group from this year! In field hockey, they have this type of event where the players get their certificates, play a fun game and then sign up to play in a national festival in California.

Think about it for the coming seasons coaches.

Something along those lines has been in the discussion amongst some coaches for a while. It would be a great thing to set up and make happen for sure.

Thought UA was under-represented. One first teamer, one second for a team that was third in state. BTW, did UA ever play SF during the year?

You said it! UA got robbed. Not only should Andrew Rabe be first team but Adam Rabe should be the player of the year! And no mention of Nick Sievert among the goalies...you have to be kidding. The prejudice against (or envy of) UA is showing.

UA beat St. Francis 5-3 in the Ohio Cup.

You said it! UA got robbed. Not only should Andrew Rabe be first team but Adam Rabe should be the player of the year! And no mention of Nick Sievert among the goalies...you have to be kidding. The prejudice against (or envy of) UA is showing.

UA beat St. Francis 5-3 in the Ohio Cup.

Not entirely sure you have a solid fact base with which to make that claim of a UA prejudice. No mention of a 1st year starting sophomore goalie on an All-State list which is full of senior goalies with multiple years of starting experience - hardly enough evidence to warrant claims of prejudice and/or envy, as you claim the coaches do indeed have.

Fact is - you have a solid goalie in UA. With him being a sophomore and many of the other schools graduating a senior goalie - he should be in line to receive some accolades in the coming years.

The honorable mention list is a list comprised of 1 athlete from each school, as nominated by the coaches. Would your goalie be on that list if it had not been for Rabe? Probably. You can make a case for Rabe being 2nd team All-Ohio, and each year the list is not without flaw in everyone's eye.

It will never be a perfect list, as that is impossible.

Your list will be different than mine, as I'm sure my list will be different than others. But that's why they vote and decide that way.

I agree that UA is under represented and with your assesment of the guys who should have made it, except for Adam as player of the year. Adam is a talented player, an outstanding teammate, and great athlete, but sometimes you have to admit when someone is simply better despite your best efforts...and this is one of them.

If you're gonna put that many goalies on honorable mention than Sievert was more than qualified to make it (especially when he had the third most saves in the state in a fairly challenging schedule). However, I think a season of high hopes mixed with inconsistent play led to the lack of representation more so than any hint of prejudice or envy.

I also would say that Charlie Coons should've been on the list. He may not have had the flash of some of the other players on that team, but he improved the team immensely, and it is unfortunate that he did not get the credit he deserved.

The best player on the best team was voted player of the year.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but isn't player of the year simply the best player that year regardless of team? And that may define Swanson, but it's a bit troubling if the selection process narrows the candidates to the best team only.

Fact is - you have a solid goalie in UA. With him being a sophomore and many of the other schools graduating a senior goalie - he should be in line to receive some accolades in the coming years.

Does this mean that the All-State team is based upon more than this season's play? Sophomores & Freshman need not apply. Or am I misunderstanding the point?

Clarification

Does this mean that the All-State team is based upon more than this season's play? Sophomores & Freshman need not apply. Or am I misunderstanding the point?

Hardly. I have seen freshman make 1st team all-ohio before, sophomores as well. We just had big dan graduate, and he was 1st team in 10th, 11th, and 12th.

But this is a different position. There is only 1 goalie that makes 1st team. 1 makes 2nd team. This means you are looking at the 2 best goalies in the state as voted upon by the coaches.

You will be hard pressed to find a 1st year varsity starting underclassman goalie come in and perform at an extremely high level. Just does not happen. There were several senior goalies on that list...and they all started multiple years.

Goalie requires a lot of experience to be good. You need to see shooters, not just once. You need the chance to study the way the opposition plays the game. It is impossible for a 1st time starting varsity goalie to have that experience. The advantage for a goalie is only increased with each time they can see shooters. There is a sophomore goalie at UA and several experienced players at other schools. Who would you take this year?

There's no debate from my end that he is a solid goalie. I'm a goalie myself, and I have high expectations for goalie. He played really well this year. And he will get much better in the future.

As for the comments still continuing on about "well there were a lot of Honorable Mention goalies...why wasn't etc, etc..." - Each coach chooses one of their players and they make honorable mention. Every coach picks 1 player from their team, and they make honorable mention. There is no vote. It is simply a name written on a piece of paper and handed in. Each coach gets 1 pick. Clearly the goalies this year was the popular choice.

The only information gained from the honorable mention list is who the coaches felt deserved recognition for their work this year, and who to be on the lookout for in the coming years. Generally, anyone who isn't a senior on the honorable mention list has been putting in a lot of effort that may not have been on display in games.

Given that way of viewing the honorable-mention list, I would expect the goalie play of the coming seasons to be pretty impressive all-around.

Why cant we all just get along

I think this brings up a great point in terms of behaviour. I have followed Ohio water polo since the mid 90s and while I missed this years action I find it commical that someone bring up the behaviour of a Upper Arlington player. This has been a problem with that program for years. I have witnessed countless occasions where an Upper Arlington player has intentionally injured an opponent. Every school has had a hot head at one time or another but it has never been such an endemic problem with any team other than Upper Arlington. I dont know if it is the coach or the parents to blame but its sickening. Injuries are bound to happen considering the physicality of water polo, but a crushed testicle clearly shows an intent to cause injury. Sylvania I hold in this same regard, either team will look to injure an opponent in the face of certain defeat.
Please refrain from associating names of players in your replies, I feel this issue goes far beyond them (and after all they are only high school boys) really we should be looking at coaches and parents. I apologize for sounding off on this issue as I've noticed it hasn't bode well on this forum before but this issue has been a concern of mine for quite some time.

solid point, Ive witnessed one of these teams unable to field a complete team for the final quarter of a game becuase of so many rolls and brutalities. but try to keep the rhetoric down this forum gets too heated.

stepitup,

I don't understand why you feel the need to call out entire teams because of one or two hot heads on the team. Every team has them. I've seen UA and Sylvania players punched in the face, held underwater so long they literally couldn't breath, and kicked in the groin. Would you not retaliate in a situation such as that? In high school especially, the kids are going to play dirty, and some are more sneaky about it than others. Princeton, for example, is/used to be one of the dirtiest teams I've ever seen, but they were careful and made sure the refs weren't looking or they would punch and pinch the opposition underwater. When kids are faced with that kind of play, they are going to get frustrated and retaliate. I know for a fact that Sylvania's players have been disciplined in the past few years if they intentionally tried to injure someone, and I imagine that's the case for UA as well. So instead of trying to stir up conflict, why not just acknowledge the fact that every team is going to have at least one hot head who will make rash decisions. Some teams just have more than others. They're high school boys, they're bound to make bad decisions.

stepitup,

I don't understand why you feel the need to call out entire teams because of one or two hot heads on the team. Every team has them. I've seen UA and Sylvania players punched in the face, held underwater so long they literally couldn't breath, and kicked in the groin. Would you not retaliate in a situation such as that? In high school especially, the kids are going to play dirty, and some are more sneaky about it than others. Princeton, for example, is/used to be one of the dirtiest teams I've ever seen, but they were careful and made sure the refs weren't looking or they would punch and pinch the opposition underwater. When kids are faced with that kind of play, they are going to get frustrated and retaliate. I know for a fact that Sylvania's players have been disciplined in the past few years if they intentionally tried to injure someone, and I imagine that's the case for UA as well. So instead of trying to stir up conflict, why not just acknowledge the fact that every team is going to have at least one hot head who will make rash decisions. Some teams just have more than others. They're high school boys, they're bound to make bad decisions.

obviously you haven't played. They get what they are receiving because they are acting out FIRST. Princeton pulls arm pit hair. Ua throws punches and sylvania chokes. It happens, they get what they dish out back. It's part of the game. But, you need to take it out of the game. They are KIDS. They don't need life long injuries cause some kid can't control his anger issues due to his lack of talent. That's just stupid to disreguard it. You're not helping the state get better by having that kind of attitude.