Wadsworth vs Canton McKinley Update

crudog

Halftime
Wadsworth 27
McKinley 17

McK’s Bell collected her 3rd foul at the 7:22 mark of the 2nd quarter. Their tall girl, Trinity Lee, was right behind getting her 3rd foul with 5:36 remaining in the first half. McKinley elected to stall with 1:30 to go in the half down by 10. They turned it over with :30 remaining, but got it back to the top of the key with :10 to spare. They never penetrated the 3-point arc nor got a shot off. Remarkable.

halftime
wadsworth 27
mckinley 17

mck’s bell collected her 3rd foul at the 7:22 mark of the 2nd quarter. Their tall girl, trinity lee, was right behind getting her 3rd foul with 5:36 remaining in the first half. Mckinley elected to stall with 1:30 to go in the half down by 10. They turned it over with :30 remaining, but got it back to the top of the key with :10 to spare. They never penetrated the 3-point arc nor got a shot off. Remarkable.

wow. don't ever count McKinley out.

I have seen more stupid stuff tonight than I have all season. Bell missed the rim entirely on a foul shot. Wadsworth had a clear over and back off the PG’s foot. As the PG went to touch the ball for the over and back a McKinley player actually went for the ball and fouled the Wadsworth guard.

Final

Wadsworth 51
McKinley 46

Minus all the mess during this game the difference was foul shots. Wadsworth made theirs and McKinley didn’t.

Kirsten Bell hit a 3-pointer beyond the half-court line at the buzzer.

Final

Wadsworth 51
McKinley 46

Minus all the mess during this game the difference was foul shots. Wadsworth made theirs and McKinley didn’t.

Kirsten Bell hit a 3-pointer beyond the half-court line at the buzzer.

McKinley didn't have many foul shots. The difference in this game was both Bell and Lee going out early in the 2nd quarter with their 3rd foul (don't think that's happened all year), and McKinley settling for too many quick 3 point shots when Wadsworth collapsed their defense. It definitely didn't help that Wadsworth had a good number of second chance points off of offensive rebounds.

Really tough loss for the Lady Pups.

Last edited:
Shocked by this but see that Wadsworth made their free throws. Usually in tight games that makes the difference. Thought for sure McKinley was going to keep on rolling.
After being at the Wadsworth Solon game two weeks ago, Grizzlies had 17 turnovers and just weren't sharp and that was at their house. They were on a mission tonight I guess. Again, surprised. McKinley is an impressive bunch.

Wadsworth’s Sophia Fortner made only one shot - a 3-pointer; however, she was 13 of 16 from the line for 16 points. Even w/o Bell and Lee McK hung tough, but they kept on fouling and fouling. 16 points with one field goal.

Wadsworth’s Sophia Fortner made only one shot - a 3-pointer; however, she was 13 of 16 from the line for 16 points. Even w/o Bell and Lee McK hung tough, but they kept on fouling and fouling. 16 points with one field goal.

That's what Wadsworth has done all year...they win at the foul line. I think it's the game plan....and, it worked. :shrug:

Advancing deep into the tournament requires two things....talent and a bit of good fortune. Wadsworth had both tonight, McKinley didn't.

What is a bit unfortunate is that there are only two District finals that pit ranked opponents against each other....Medina (McKinley/Wadsworth) and Euclid (Solon/Stow).

The Columbus and Cincinnati super districting typically prevents it from happening in those regions. Sure wish OHSAA would do something about that.

That's what Wadsworth has done all year...they win at the foul line. I think it's the game plan....and, it worked. :shrug:

Advancing deep into the tournament requires two things....talent and a bit of good fortune. Wadsworth had both tonight, McKinley didn't.

I mean look at Jodi Johnson at Ashland..she hardly ever misses free throws..and that's what it takes to win games sometimes.

I mean look at Jodi Johnson at Ashland..she hardly ever misses free throws..and that's what it takes to win games sometimes.

Wadsworth has a lot of team height, goes 10 deep, has three D1 athletes of their own, four starters who were a part of the 2016 state championship team, and the two tallest players for McKinley set out the 2nd quarter...thus leaving two freshman on the court to score. That's a really bad situation to be in.

Everything that Wadsworth wanted to do tonight, they did....scored from the foul line, got lots of second chance points from offensive rebounds, contained Bell, and forced McKinley to beat them from three point land. I don't think it's coincidence that they did the same thing that Mt. Notre Dame did against McKinley in the state semi-finals last year or what Jackson did in their win against McKinley this year.

Easily the worst McKinley played all year....gotta give Wadsworth credit for that. Experience defeated youthfulness.

What is a bit unfortunate is that there are only two District finals that pit ranked opponents against each other....Medina (McKinley/Wadsworth) and Euclid (Solon/Stow).

The Columbus and Cincinnati super districting typically prevents it from happening in those regions. Sure wish OHSAA would do something about that.
very true and with that you have teams like kenston and strongsville in the final 16 teams that really have no business being there, wadsworth will have to go through the best 2 teams from the toledo area perrysburg and notre dame academy and solon and jackson matchup should happen

Another part I think is who McK schedules to play..very weak teams (other than FED)
They need to get back to the good things like CITC and play some really good matchups even if it means a loss..will help the team.

“It was a travesty,” McKinley head coach Pam Davis said of the way the game was called. “It was 100 percent the difference. All of our big players were in foul trouble, none of theirs were. In my opinion, it was physical on both ends.
“We were in foul trouble the entire game — and we lost by five. We couldn’t be aggressive because we were in foul trouble. It all came down to the foul differential (21-12). One kid for them went to the line 16 times; our entire team (shoots) 11.”
Tery.

Well, in any case..Good luck to all and I suppose alot of teams are thankful to not have Bell breathing down their neck for the rest of the post season lol

“It was a travesty,” McKinley head coach Pam Davis said of the way the game was called. “It was 100 percent the difference. All of our big players were in foul trouble, none of theirs were. In my opinion, it was physical on both ends.
“We were in foul trouble the entire game — and we lost by five. We couldn’t be aggressive because we were in foul trouble. It all came down to the foul differential (21-12). One kid for them went to the line 16 times; our entire team (shoots) 11.”
Tery.

It’s called DEFENSE, lady pups had to know that their bigs would be played tight. Tourney Ball the refs aren’t favoring either team. Fundamentals won the game period.

March 2, 2018
IUDOGS Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk