Virginia has postponed high school football

The Virginia organization says they will decide the fate of the 2020 fall sports season on July 27. Football in the fall is not included in any of the three models under consideration.

• Model 1: Only golf and cross country in the fall. All other fall sports cancelled.
  • Model 2: Spring sports (except lacrosse) being shifted to the fall and vice versa
  • Model 3: All sports played in truncated seasons from Dec. 14-June 26.
  • Model 3: Winter Sports would be held Dec. 14-Feb. 20 (First play date: 12/28). Fall Sports would be held Feb. 15-May 1 (First play date: 3/1); Spring Sports would be held April 12-June 26 (First play date: 4/26).
There is no word if football will be considered for the winter and spring months.

The models are interesting and may be what some other states may consider--I can see Model 2 being looked at for Ohio and maybe basketball after January 1st as the Ivy League has already determined!!

The Virginia organization says they will decide the fate of the 2020 fall sports season on July 27. Football in the fall is not included in any of the three models under consideration.

• Model 1: Only golf and cross country in the fall. All other fall sports cancelled.
  • Model 2: Spring sports (except lacrosse) being shifted to the fall and vice versa
  • Model 3: All sports played in truncated seasons from Dec. 14-June 26.
  • Model 3: Winter Sports would be held Dec. 14-Feb. 20 (First play date: 12/28). Fall Sports would be held Feb. 15-May 1 (First play date: 3/1); Spring Sports would be held April 12-June 26 (First play date: 4/26).
There is no word if football will be considered for the winter and spring months.

The models are interesting and may be what some other states may consider--I can see Model 2 being looked at for Ohio and maybe basketball after January 1st as the Ivy League has already determined!!
I would think Golf and Tennis would be ok. With Cross Country you have a group of people blowing snot and boogers all over each other while running together.....

I would think Golf and Tennis would be ok. With Cross Country you have a group of people blowing snot and boogers all over each other while running together.....
I guess in XC you should be the lead dog and you will be safe ??

Have heard from very good sources that Texas and Louisiana will not attempt to start seasons until Oct. 2nd for games. Can’t imagine anything like that up here but to think we realistically will have games in August seems very unlikely.

Have heard from very good sources that Texas and Louisiana will not attempt to start seasons until Oct. 2nd for games. Can’t imagine anything like that up here but to think we realistically will have games in August seems very unlikely.

There needs to be some options created by the ohsaa and realistically looked at by the member schools. For us to say we are just planning on an August 1st start with no backup plan will lead to an all or nothing situation. Full start, delay, or spring. Plans should have been developed for any scenario that may arise from the governors office. If not we may end up with nothing.

Last edited:
Hence the reason the ohsaa is seeing cross country a contact sport. Having 10-30+ teams compete in one venue from many different areas contradicts EVERYTHING what Dewine has been saying over the past few months. It is easily the sport that would transmit the virus statewide.

All the scenarios Virginia mentioned are unreasonable due to so many outlying situations that can’t be avoided. They, like the ohsaa are trying to act like they are being proactive but it’s not feasible and leads them up for major litigation when pressuring kids/coaches/schools to alter than plans with less than a month to to prepare for a season in the fall while others can.

I hate saying this but this is the world we live in now.

Last edited:
NC will not have high school sports until at least September 1. Currently, only 25 people can attend events (think football).

Expect to see this pushed back again.

NC will not have high school sports until at least September 1. Currently, only 25 people can attend events (think football).

Expect to see this pushed back again.

They are not allowed to start practice until Sept. 1st. Has to push the first game back until probably the Sept. 25th?

They are not allowed to start practice until Sept. 1st. Has to push the first game back until probably the Sept. 25th?
Summer workouts were allowed to begin June 15th: 25 participants during each 90 minute workout at six feet apart. Conditioning and individual instruction.

Not sure how much contact time the schools will want after up to ten weeks of drills. Haven't heard. Hope the boys get to play at least conference games.

In Virginia, high school football is a way of life, it's bigger than Christmas day.

Yost.png