VASJ vs SVSM

Bball216

Got to see a pretty entertaining game tonight in Viking Village against the defending D2 and D3 State Champions. The crowd was not as big as last weeks beatdown of rival Euclid - but it was animated. Both schools had pretty good banter between student sections but the real action was on the floor. SVSM and VASJ were both hit pretty hard by graduation and other issues that have their rosters looking much different then last year. With that being said many feel that these teams both will have a serious shot at playing in Columbus come March.

The game was played at a pretty fast pace. Like usual SVSM is quick and they execute well. They are not very tall as far as their rotation players go - but they press very well and really make the extra pass to get an easy lay up. VASJ was playing a tough back to back after a very physical game at Cleveland Heights last night. With that being said I'm sure Joe's was sore and a bit beat up - but they played with solid energy tonight. SVSM won 75-63 - but the game was close until late in the 4th when Joe's was forced to launch poor shots in an effort to catch up and it led to easy baskets on the other end for the Irish. VASJ needs to handle the press better as well as reducing turnovers - and they will. Poise comes with experience. They show glimpses of what they can really be - but they are not consistent yet. They are still learning to play with each other and seem at times confused on defensive rotations and coverages - that will fix itself once they play some more games and they practice to address deficiencies. The talent is there so I'm not worried. Once this team reduces its mistakes, plays a solid 4quarters and learns how finish and win - watch out.

Both teams have solid young talent and will be good for years. There were times that the Vikings had 3 freshman on the floor at the same time. I know Viking fans are used to winning - be patient. This team has 20 games in the regular season to get into playoff shape. These youngsters might be .500 in the regular season but with the playing time the freshman are getting they will be like sophomores come March ability wise. Remember some of these kids were playing 8th grade CYO last year and now they are playing against the best NEOhio has to offer.

Call me crazy but my gut tells me that there is an above average chance that these teams will see each other again this year and the stakes will be MUCH bigger.

Got to see a pretty entertaining game tonight in Viking Village against the defending D2 and D3 State Champions. The crowd was not as big as last weeks beatdown of rival Euclid - but it was animated. Both schools had pretty good banter between student sections but the real action was on the floor. SVSM and VASJ were both hit pretty hard by graduation and other issues that have their rosters looking much different then last year. With that being said many feel that these teams both will have a serious shot at playing in Columbus come March.

The game was played at a pretty fast pace. Like usual SVSM is quick and they execute well. They are not very tall as far as their rotation players go - but they press very well and really make the extra pass to get an easy lay up. VASJ was playing a tough back to back after a very physical game at Cleveland Heights last night. With that being said I'm sure Joe's was sore and a bit beat up - but they played with solid energy tonight. SVSM won 75-63 - but the game was close until late in the 4th when Joe's was forced to launch poor shots in an effort to catch up and it led to easy baskets on the other end for the Irish. VASJ needs to handle the press better as well as reducing turnovers - and they will. Poise comes with experience. They show glimpses of what they can really be - but they are not consistent yet. They are still learning to play with each other and seem at times confused on defensive rotations and coverages - that will fix itself once they play some more games and they practice to address deficiencies. The talent is there so I'm not worried. Once this team reduces its mistakes, plays a solid 4quarters and learns how finish and win - watch out.

Both teams have solid young talent and will be good for years. There were times that the Vikings had 3 freshman on the floor at the same time. I know Viking fans are used to winning - be patient. This team has 20 games in the regular season to get into playoff shape. These youngsters might be .500 in the regular season but with the playing time the freshman are getting they will be like sophomores come March ability wise. Remember some of these kids were playing 8th grade CYO last year and now they are playing against the best NEOhio has to offer.

Call me crazy but my gut tells me that there is an above average chance that these teams will see each other again this year and the stakes will be MUCH bigger.

You are correct, a very entertaining game. Right on analysis.

I missed the game, but a friend said you could see there was a lot of YOUNG talent on both sides of the court. Sounds like Jaden Hameed is going to be the next Vikings star! It should be fun to watch him go up against Seth Wilson over the next 4 years. Th scouting report I got said that while Higgins was the best player of the floor, as a group, the Irish veterans were better than the Vikings veterans. But come tournament time, both these teams should be light years ahead of where they are now. At that point, experience won't be a factor. And get your tickets early, because if it comes down to these two teams with a trip to the state tourney on the line, it should be a classic!

Joe's is bigger height wise and the 3 freshman that have are all going to be high level D1 kids. They in fact all have offers already. The difference in the game was the Irish press. The press led to turnovers which in turn gave SVSM fast break baskets. It seemed like the Irish was in position to get every put back and the back door cuts kept Joe's one step away from defending it. They had several and ones. The young talent is going to be ridiculous. My only hope is SVSM gets bumped to D1 because both these squads are going to deserve to be in Columbus.

You should not be penalized for having a good program. Maybe Kirtland should move up to a higher division in football because they are having way to much success. Same for the other smaller school teams that dominate the competition yearly. This year there was one private school at the football state championships - is that fair. Just because a public is in a metropolitan area does not mean you are automatically good. Trinity is right down the street from Garfield Heights. One is one of the top teams in Ohio and the other is full 5'10 kids. But by your criteria they should be D1 - or is it only Joe's because they have great coaching and a culture that is focused on playing a tough schedule to prepare them for tournament play.