Vanlue Football out of BVC per Courier

they would be stupid at this point to not join the Northern 8 league. just accept that 11 man football isn’t in the best interest of the kids. travel would probably be better in the Northern 8 as well. no AD is going to schedule Vanlue knowing at any minute they’re at risk of cancelling a game or season.

Is 8 man really that much of a difference compared to 11 man? I get that it’s 27% fewer players needed but it still seems like a lot of bodies needed for such a small school.

Is 8 man really that much of a difference compared to 11 man? I get that it’s 27% fewer players needed but it still seems like a lot of bodies needed for such a small school.
for a school with such a small enrollment, yes. the difference between 8 and 11 man is the team gets 3-5 subs instead of 0-2

I look at it this way. Let's say you have 13 kids on the roster and 6 of them are linemen. Instead of playing 5 linemen and having 1 sub. You have 3 linemen and 3 subs. Sounds like a win win to me. If I were the NWCC, I would say no anyway so really for them it should be 8 man or not at all

Good luck with the independent scheduling. Unless they go to 8 man I think this is a death sentence for Vanlue football.
I mentioned on the other thread that I heard their AD was already trying to put together an independent schedule for next year. It's unfortunate that they didn't get a couple of years notice to work on that, but the BVC must've gotten to their limit on the uncertainty of playing them.

NWCC already has an even number.
According to the NWCC website, they only have 8 schools all sports and Crestline as the 9th, football only. I would be willing to bet, Vanlue will get an invite to the NWCC. If Aaron Matthews was still with us and the commissioner of the NWCC, they probably would already have the invite

According to the NWCC website, they only have 8 schools all sports and Crestline as the 9th, football only. I would be willing to bet, Vanlue will get an invite to the NWCC. If Aaron Matthews was still with us and the commissioner of the NWCC, they probably would already have the invite
But Temple Christian doesn't have football. That why Crestline is the 9th. Then, the conference is adding North Baltimore and Cory-Rawson for next year, so that's 10 football schools. NWCC is going to 9 conference games in 2023, so right now, there's no room at the inn for Vanlue unless the conference boots Crestline as a football-only member. I think you'd be hard-pressed to vote out a member that you feel confident is going to have a team every year for a team that doesn't know from week to week whether they can put 11 guys on the field.

“One thing that worries me is whether we’re 0-10 or 1-9 or whatever, football still brings in enough money to pay for our spring sports. In the BVC, we don’t charge admission for spring sports. You’re allowed to, but nobody has done it yet.

“We can drive, what 15, 20 minutes to watch our kids participate in sports. Now with football it’s going to be maybe two, two-and-a-half hour drives and who’s going to do that, maybe just the parents? If we lose that extra revenue from football, who’s to say our spring sports won’t be effected, too. You never know what the domino effect might be.”

This is a crazy comment. No chance football comes even close to covering cost of football let alone costs of spring sports.

“One thing that worries me is whether we’re 0-10 or 1-9 or whatever, football still brings in enough money to pay for our spring sports. In the BVC, we don’t charge admission for spring sports. You’re allowed to, but nobody has done it yet.

“We can drive, what 15, 20 minutes to watch our kids participate in sports. Now with football it’s going to be maybe two, two-and-a-half hour drives and who’s going to do that, maybe just the parents? If we lose that extra revenue from football, who’s to say our spring sports won’t be effected, too. You never know what the domino effect might be.”

This is a crazy comment. No chance football comes even close to covering cost of football let alone costs of spring sports.
Nobody's buying that and nobody's feeling sorry for them anymore. Everybody knows what Vanlue should do except Vanlue.

I mentioned on the other thread that I heard their AD was already trying to put together an independent schedule for next year. It's unfortunate that they didn't get a couple of years notice to work on that, but the BVC must've gotten to their limit on the uncertainty of playing them.
If I was the AD at a school on a long losing streak, I'd be chomping at the bit to play them haha, if they are willing to get their heads beat in to thump their chest and say we play 11 man football.

Sounds like they are a dumpster fire. Also, sounds like they are hanging on to 11 man football out of a pride thing

About time. In reading the article, it sounds like Vanlue is living in the land of delusion.

There is already a schedule out there for Vanlue:

8/18 H North Baltimore
8/25 H Millersport
9/1 H McComb **
9/8 H Riverdale **
9/15 A Arlington **
9/22 A Pandora-Gilboa **
9/29 A Montpelier
10/6 A Arcadia **
10/13 A Elmwood **
10/20 H Van Buren **

** BVC game

Will any BVC game keep them on schedule as non-conference?

This whole situation feels like the family dog that has really outlived its expiration date by 8 years. Blind, Def, can't walk very far without laying back down, need to mush its food and hand feed it every meal, and more "accidents" seem to pop up every day. Everyone knows it's time to put the poor thing down, but the owner just can't part.

Put the poor thing out of its misery and remember the good times.
Or, you know. 8 man football. But I couldn't find a good way to weave that into the depressing analogy.

Last edited:

8/18 H North Baltimore
8/25 H Millersport
9/1 H McComb **
9/8 H Riverdale **
9/15 A Arlington **
9/22 A Pandora-Gilboa **
9/29 A Montpelier
10/6 A Arcadia **
10/13 A Elmwood **
10/20 H Van Buren **

** BVC game

The 2023 season is supposed to be played as normal, with them being independent in 2024.

Last edited:

8/18 H North Baltimore
8/25 H Millersport
9/1 H McComb **
9/8 H Riverdale **
9/15 A Arlington **
9/22 A Pandora-Gilboa **
9/29 A Montpelier
10/6 A Arcadia **
10/13 A Elmwood **
10/20 H Van Buren **

** BVC game

Elmwood has already replaced their Week 9 game with Edon. Pandora-Gilboa has asked to post their Week 6 game.

This is the same school that guilt tripped kids into playing 2 years ago publicly on social media because "without football the band and cheerleaders would have nothing to do, and we can't sell concessions to pay for the senior trip."

They're completely dilusional and nothing surprises me.

Two years back I had a nice talk with one of the insiders from Vanlue and learned that 8-man was being considered down the road. I wonder what has changed?

Maybe they can get a company to move in the Chicago people looking to relocate. If they get athletes, watch out 🤣. It hasn't happened yet for Bellmont, but they are getting Chicago people moving in. Not the best kind though.

Two years back I had a nice talk with one of the insiders from Vanlue and learned that 8-man was being considered down the road. I wonder what has changed?
Guessing that they realize that if go to 8 man 3-4 players will just follow half of Vanlue kids that have already open enrolled at Carey and will then not have enough for 8 man.

This is the smallest school in Ohio that plays football. Of course, that means someone else will be the smallest if they drop to eight-man or drop football altogether.