Vandalia Looking For New Head Coach

Cates or Carter would both be the type of hire that Butler needed. getting Skidmore or Minton would be a jackpot.

i could still see Sutherland (Covington assistant and Butler alum) getting the job. i’m a fan of schools bringing alumni back to coach.

Carter needs to be the guy. If he’s not then they are not hiring the right person.
I’m just curious what makes carter the right guy? I truly don’t know and I am asking. I’m not sure what his record is and what his coaching experience is. I know he was good in college. It appears that Northwestern people like him and the job he’s done. With not being a teacher, that might be a tough call for VB? Not out of the question, but most bigger schools like to have a coach in the building to monitor etc. Maybe if he has enough assistants that work in the school, it might work. I assume Puckett ran the defense, would the OC stay if he doesn’t get the job? Last time, I guess he kept his Troy teaching job and drove up to Bluffton to Volunteer a few days here and there. Seems like a tough commute, I wonder if he’d do that again? Or try to latch on to a local school. I don’t know anything about Cates either, so I couldn’t say who would be a better fit?

I’m just curious what makes carter the right guy? I truly don’t know and I am asking. I’m not sure what his record is and what his coaching experience is. I know he was good in college. It appears that Northwestern people like him and the job he’s done. With not being a teacher, that might be a tough call for VB? Not out of the question, but most bigger schools like to have a coach in the building to monitor etc. Maybe if he has enough assistants that work in the school, it might work. I assume Puckett ran the defense, would the OC stay if he doesn’t get the job? Last time, I guess he kept his Troy teaching job and drove up to Bluffton to Volunteer a few days here and there. Seems like a tough commute, I wonder if he’d do that again? Or try to latch on to a local school. I don’t know anything about Cates either, so I couldn’t say who would be a better fit?
Carter is probably a better fit. I think he was at Troy before as a coordinator. im surprised he didn't get the Troy job last year. he did everything he could with the talent he had at Northwestern

Cates has a better track record. he's a proven winner at a school where he inherited a good situation. Cates will fix the culture at Butler pretty quickly if he's the hire

Butler couldn't go wrong with either of these candidates, in my opinion.

Carter is probably a better fit. I think he was at Troy before as a coordinator. im surprised he didn't get the Troy job last year. he did everything he could with the talent he had at Northwestern

Cates has a better track record. he's a proven winner at a school where he inherited a good situation. Cates will fix the culture at Butler pretty quickly if he's the hire

Butler couldn't go wrong with either of these candidates, in my opinion.

If I'm remembering correctly, Carter was a Freshman assistant coach before getting NW. It was also rumored that he did not get his application together in time to even apply for the Troy job the last 'go round'.

The committee needs to go after a Co HC approach. Hire two guys to run the program, to my knowledge, this has never been done. Can you imagine all that could get done with two HC's?!

There's almost no chance a bigger school is hiring Carter unless you have multiple seasoned assistants on staff that are in the building and well-respected by the administration to be both the "face" of the program in the hallways and to be filled in on and to handle any urgent issues such as discipline.

Doesn't matter who they hire, If you're not allowed to pick your own staff it won't work. From what I heard, they never get rid of the assistants, so mentality or mindset doesn't change . It's been almost 15 or more years since Butler's been relevant there's no winning culture in the school except for baseball maybe they should allow the other head coaches to hire freely and create\build their program like Dues has done. If there is more diversity in the student body then maybe the coaching staffs and school staff need more diversity as well. It's not "one size fits all" that's why most of these schools like Vandalia struggle academically(Butler has a "C" grade now) and atheletically they can't adapt.

Doesn't matter who they hire, If you're not allowed to pick your own staff it won't work. From what I heard, they never get rid of the assistants, so mentality or mindset doesn't change . It's been almost 15 or more years since Butler's been relevant there's no winning culture in the school except for baseball maybe they should allow the other head coaches to hire freely and create\build their program like Dues has done. If there is more diversity in the student body then maybe the coaching staffs and school staff need more diversity as well. It's not "one size fits all" that's why most of these schools like Vandalia struggle academically(Butler has a "C" grade now) and atheletically they can't adapt.
Your clueless. Hyatt brought in all new coaches mostly. He got rid of the best ones. They were terrible. One of his guys quit during the middle of a game. There are two assistants left from Bush coaching.

Butler won the league and made the playoffs in 2015. They made the playoffs in 2018 2015 2013. No winning culture?

You are right let them do whatever they want like Dues gets to. Then football and basketball would be much better. Guess who doesnt let that happen?

One coach is in finals that no one has mentioned.
I haven’t heard anyone mention the old coach at Tipp that is their OC. I was knee deep in a haircut and a guy told me that their OC is big Rick Roberts. He’s been a head coach and is in the coaching hall of fame? Could be a dark horse if they want stability in an experienced coach. I still think they’ll go young.

Butler won the league and made the playoffs in 2015. They made the playoffs in 2018 2015 2013. No winning culture?

3 times in of 15 years, 5 coaches in ten or more years in both basketball and football = winning culture, the last time in football playoffs was 18'. Last league title - 15' can't get out the first round in basketball( Ray Zawadski did consistently). no state championships anywhere or anytime soon. You're right every school in the area should follow Butler's model on how to build a winning culture.

Meanwhile Butler baseball annually a top 3 program in the area top15 statewide, numerous conference championships. Maybe Dues doesn't want his players to participate in other programs because he knows there's no consistency in comparison to his ?‍♀️. See Wayne,Centerville, Trotwood,Springfield,Alter,Russia,Minster,Moeller, St. X and I'm sure I forgot other schools that don't have winning cultures.

I haven’t heard anyone mention the old coach at Tipp that is their OC. I was knee deep in a haircut and a guy told me that their OC is big Rick Roberts. He’s been a head coach and is in the coaching hall of fame? Could be a dark horse if they want stability in an experienced coach. I still think they’ll go young.
Nope. Heard he was going to CJ as DC. His wife (has MS) has gotten worse and wanted to be closer to his Kettering home.

Agree. Football and basketball have been a joke since Pelfrey and Z walked away. With Z and basketball it was similar to Dues and baseball in the sense that every year there teams are competitive and show up in the tournament. That’s the fruit of hard work, consistency and stability. Football has been a swirling pool of failure and mediocrity. Even in said playoff years (post Pelfrey) they have been one and done drubbings most of the time and in 2018 they blew a game they were dominating in. The football program lacks culture, stability and direction. In most years there would be 80 kids on the team and 16 that actually play meaningful time. No depth, no development. Bush had Taylor Decker and still couldn’t do much more than 6-4 in a good year. Speaking of Decker he has never been back to acknowledge his time at Vandalia. Nobody is looking for money or anything like that from him but no Play60 events, speeches anything - so that tells you something about the state of the program. He has stayed away.

Not trying to bash football I want to see it thrive and be the lifeblood of the athletic department. But it’s really, really broken and needs to be fixed. No one person is to blame it has just slowly decayed and will take time to fix. There is no magic elixir here. It will start with the right coach, buy in at the youth and junior high levels and support from the alumni and community.

Even if all that happens we cannot expect Vandalia to be the Ohio State of the MVL. Once on track we could be an Indiana or Northwestern. Consistently competitive but not an annual juggernaut.

Best of luck Cates. He went 0-8 against Fort Loramie and Minster. Struggled against tough competition.
every team in their league struggled against those teams. half the teams in the MVL would struggle against those teams. he had Covington playing good football. more importantly, he instilled a culture that the kids bought in to and he did a lot with the talent he had.

I'm not looking at that when comparing the 2 coaches. Cates offense was more balanced, but in big games he played to conservative. Miller was a great coach and his offense put up huge numbers and was very competitive against the MAC opponents. Wish Cates the best, but still miss Miller lol

I'm not looking at that when comparing the 2 coaches. Cates offense was more balanced, but in big games he played to conservative. Miller was a great coach and his offense put up huge numbers and was very competitive against the MAC opponents. Wish Cates the best, but still miss Miller lol
His offense seems to be working great in the GWOC....