Vaccinations are important

Gh0st

There has been quite a bit of troubling news about the re-emergence of diseases preventable by vaccination no doubt caused by the anti-vaccine movement with concerns of vaccines being linked to autism.

The diseases we have started to see re-emergence in are pertussis (whooping cough), measles, and polio. All very serious disease with serious complications, for young children especially. An adult with pertussis or the measles may do fine thanks to their developed immune system. An infant, however, is much more susceptible to serious complications due to the window period when the mothers conferred immunity wears off and when the infant begins to develop their own immune responses.

I wanted to raise awareness about this issue and spark debate if their are any opposed to vaccination. I myself, recommend, every single vaccine as they have all been show to be efficacious and side effects and dangers of vaccines have been wildly over exaggerated.

I am linking two important websites, one containing multiple published studies from the CDC de-bunking the link between the MMR vaccine and autism. The other a CNN article that went widely unnoticed describing how the cited study linking autism to the MMR by Dr. Andrew Wakefield was retracted and Wakefield was stripped of his medical license for altering the data to show more of a correlation between the MMR and autism.

CDC Studies
(Links to the actual studies are provided)

Wakefield Retraction

Any other desired information, I have access to NEJM and other sources and will try to find the studies for you.

Anyone opposed to vaccination, I welcome your comments and opinions. I want to understand where this information is coming from and read it for myself as it helps me with me recommendations to my patients. I've done quite a bit of searching and haven't been able to find much outside of anecdotal blogs.

There's a lot of bad information being thrown around regarding vaccines. I can't understand why people still believe this nonsense about autism and other things.

I shake my head at parents who refuse to vaccinate their kids....or think you can get the flu from a flu shot. Ignorance.

There has been quite a bit of troubling news about the re-emergence of diseases preventable by vaccination no doubt caused by the anti-vaccine movement with concerns of vaccines being linked to autism.

The diseases we have started to see re-emergence in are pertussis (whooping cough), measles, and polio. All very serious disease with serious complications, for young children especially. An adult with pertussis or the measles may do fine thanks to their developed immune system. An infant, however, is much more susceptible to serious complications due to the window period when the mothers conferred immunity wears off and when the infant begins to develop their own immune responses.

I wanted to raise awareness about this issue and spark debate if their are any opposed to vaccination. I myself, recommend, every single vaccine as they have all been show to be efficacious and side effects and dangers of vaccines have been wildly over exaggerated.

I am linking two important websites, one containing multiple published studies from the CDC de-bunking the link between the MMR vaccine and autism. The other a CNN article that went widely unnoticed describing how the cited study linking autism to the MMR by Dr. Andrew Wakefield was retracted and Wakefield was stripped of his medical license for altering the data to show more of a correlation between the MMR and autism.

CDC Studies
(Links to the actual studies are provided)

Wakefield Retraction

Any other desired information, I have access to NEJM and other sources and will try to find the studies for you.

Anyone opposed to vaccination, I welcome your comments and opinions. I want to understand where this information is coming from and read it for myself as it helps me with me recommendations to my patients. I've done quite a bit of searching and haven't been able to find much outside of anecdotal blogs.

Do you have a source for that? I mean, I understand that there has been something of a resurgence of some diseases that are routinely vaccinated against (specifically measles), but my understanding is that this resurgence is almost exclusive among a few immigrant groups from a few, very specific countries (where the vaccines are not nearly as universally given as they are here).

I know my kids are vaccinated. We discussed the risks with their pediatrician, who basically explained how overblown the concern over the vaccines was - and who proceeded to explain that even if the concern WAS as big as is commonly perceived, the threat from the diseases that are being vaccinated against are a MUCH bigger threat than the vaccine itself.

Didn't the doctor who started the whole rumor about the link between autism and the vaccines actually have a financial stake in one of the alternative. less-effective vaccines or something. I kind of remember hearing about how it was all a huge fraud from the get-go and the doctor was either being brought up on charges or being sued for every penny he ever hoped to make in his lifetime.

Do you have a source for that? I mean, I understand that there has been something of a resurgence of some diseases that are routinely vaccinated against (specifically measles), but my understanding is that this resurgence is almost exclusive among a few immigrant groups from a few, very specific countries (where the vaccines are not nearly as universally given as they are here).

I know my kids are vaccinated. We discussed the risks with their pediatrician, who basically explained how overblown the concern over the vaccines was - and who proceeded to explain that even if the concern WAS as big as is commonly perceived, the threat from the diseases that are being vaccinated against are a MUCH bigger threat than the vaccine itself.

Didn't the doctor who started the whole rumor about the link between autism and the vaccines actually have a financial stake in one of the alternative. less-effective vaccines or something. I kind of remember hearing about how it was all a huge fraud from the get-go and the doctor was either being brought up on charges or being sued for every penny he ever hoped to make in his lifetime.

I will check for a source. In my own personal experience, I've spoken to parents refusing to vaccinate their children because they believe there is a link to autism. The Andrew Wakefield study was highly publicized thanks to certain celebrities taking it upon themselves to be the spokespeople for it. It was not highly publicized when his study was retracted and he lost his medical license for altering data and essentially falsifying a medical study.

No doubt immigrants play a role. But there are processes that the CDC and HHS utilizes to make sure LEGAL (I guess being the key distinction) receive the vaccines that most Americans get during childhood.