Urban to retire after Rose Bowl

Am I whacked out for thinking that they should have gone with Luke Fickell as their next coach?

I mean he's only a 10 game winning season next year away from becoming the hottest coach in college football. Given that he's already coached at OSU and knows the traditions and environment am I missing something here?

Imagine writing that Ohio State is a "program in decline" at a point where the team is 12-1 on the year and headed to the Rose Bowl after winning the Big Ten championship. Tremendous insight like this is why I occasionally read Clay Travis' columns.

The task going forward for Ryan Day is going to be rebuilding the defense, probably including making some coaching changes on that side of the ball. Though lacking balance at times, this year the offense was as good as it's ever been in terms of raw yardage and scoring. Whether it's Martell or a younger guy that's more of a pocket passer, I expect the protege of Urbs and Chip Kelly will figure out how to continue racking up points in the near future.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Am I whacked out for thinking that they should have gone with Luke Fickell as their next coach?

I mean he's only a 10 game winning season next year away from becoming the hottest coach in college football. Given that he's already coached at OSU and knows the traditions and environment am I missing something here?
The fact that this job was kept internal and not opened up for the likes of Fickell and Matt Campbell tells me that they absolutely love Ryan Day and think he will have a Lincoln Riley esque seamless transition.

There are plenty of things to criticize Gene Smith for, but he replaced Jim Tressel with Urban Meyer and Thad Matta with Chris Holtmann. His batting average has been pretty good so far, and I expect that will continue with Day's promotion.

IMO would not be surprised if Gene Smith leaves OSU in the near future. Think the devil Mike Drake wants to put his own stamp on OSU and make OSU football as mediocre as possible.

We will never know for certain, but all season since the ZS saga, I have had a feeling there was a behind the scenes struggle for control of the University's brand: academics versus athletics.

Imagine writing that Ohio State is a "program in decline" at a point where the team is 12-1 on the year and headed to the Rose Bowl after winning the Big Ten championship. Tremendous insight like this is why I occasionally read Clay Travis' columns.

The task going forward for Ryan Day is going to be rebuilding the defense, probably including making some coaching changes on that side of the ball. Though lacking balance at times, this year the offense was as good as it's ever been in terms of raw yardage and scoring. Whether it's Martell or a younger guy that's more of a pocket passer, I expect the protege of Urbs and Chip Kelly will figure out how to continue racking up points in the near future.

Getting rid of Bill Davis would be a step in the right direction. It would be one positive for losing Meyer.

We will never know for certain, but all season since the ZS saga, I have had a feeling there was a behind the scenes struggle for control of the University's brand: academics versus athletics.

Zack Smith was not about athletics. He sucked.

His continued employment at tOSU was about legacy patronage to Earle Bruce, his grandfather and Meyer's mentor.

Something doesn't feel right about this. I think Meyer is struggling with his health issues, but the hiring of Day seems weird to me. I saw this at YSU when Tressel left and Heacock became the head coach. It didn't work out. The big loss of Meyer is his recruiting. I don't know how much weight Day when hold when he goes into the living rooms of young athletes and asks them to go to tOSU. We'll see.